Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Bike cover

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Jay-Dub
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 27 Oct 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:34 - 27 Oct 2013    Post subject: Bike cover Reply with quote

Hi all, I don't suppose anyone knows where to get a proper cover from? I used have a heavy waterproof canvas one til it got nicked, now all I can find are those girly nylon things that only last 6 months months in the Welsh wind and rain. anyone help? Cheers - Jay.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

gbrand42
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 23 Jul 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:52 - 27 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oxford Stormex, only cover you will ever need, google it - several places do them online.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jay-Dub
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 27 Oct 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:58 - 27 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

gbrand42 wrote:
Oxford Stormex, only cover you will ever need, google it - several places do them online.

They don't look like they would take much stick, just the usual coated nylon type? I've found that anything i've had other than heavy cloth/canvas gets battered by the wind and ends up with the mirrors and levers etc poking through.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
MC This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

gbrand42
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 23 Jul 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:34 - 27 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay-Dub wrote:
gbrand42 wrote:
Oxford Stormex, only cover you will ever need, google it - several places do them online.

They don't look like they would take much stick, just the usual coated nylon type? I've found that anything i've had other than heavy cloth/canvas gets battered by the wind and ends up with the mirrors and levers etc poking through.


They are much thicker than you would expect, no way would a lever, peg or mirror get through.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

johnnyarctic
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 20 Dec 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:44 - 27 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

another vote for the stormex. mines survived well, lasted 2 years with no problems. just got a new one recently to accommodate my new bike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling TerrorOutOfOffice
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:00 - 28 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still using a stormex I bought in 2004. Good covers if a little expensive.
____________________
Diabolical homemade music Bandcamp and Soundcloud
Singer songwriter, Artist and allround good bloke Listen to Andrew Susan Johnston here
The Harry Turner Project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Jan 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:13 - 28 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

happy with my stormtex, not had any issues with it.
____________________
Looking to pass your CBT / Bike tests in Bury Lancashire? try www.focusridertraining.co.uk Would recommend.
They're also on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Focus-Rider-Training/196832923734251
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:18 - 28 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lidl ones are good but are only available at certain times of the year
____________________
Bikers make great organ donors, get 115 on your licence today.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

j.silvs
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Dec 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:12 - 28 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't bother with the oxford rainex however. Leaks like crazy.

Just ordered a stormex
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jay-Dub
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 27 Oct 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:05 - 28 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmm, I would appear that the Stormex is quite popular then. Maybe I should research them more as I can get one for 55 quid on fleabay and if I can get two years out of it I'd be happy, better than paying 30 quid every six months innit. We are quite exposed up here on the side of a mountain and not having a garage/shed the bike gets a bit battered most of the Autumn/Winter, do any of you guys get much wind where you are?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mjolnir
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 23 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:37 - 28 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got one of these from classic additions about three years ago after reading a review on here.

I thought it was expensive at the time but its held up better than the Stormex or the HELD i've had in the past.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling TerrorOutOfOffice
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:47 - 28 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ Laughing It can get windy anywhere.

If you can, park it near some shelter...a wall etc. If it's proper +50mph winds then it's best to leave the cover off. The stormex does come with a belly strap but I've seen a bike blown over with a cover on.
Also worth considering the prevailing wind direction. Point it into the wind kinda thing.

Invest in some ACF50, or at the very least wipe the bike down with some WD40 before fitting the cover. The downside with covers, even vented ones is they do hold moisture.
You can re-proof the cover with silicone spray...It's dead cheap.

The covers are big and touch the ground, so when the weather is good hang it up to dry properly.

I'm available 24/7 should you need any Bike Covers advice.
Calls will be monitored.
____________________
Diabolical homemade music Bandcamp and Soundcloud
Singer songwriter, Artist and allround good bloke Listen to Andrew Susan Johnston here
The Harry Turner Project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Jay-Dub
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 27 Oct 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:52 - 28 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

HT wrote:
^^^ Laughing It can get windy anywhere.

If you can, park it near some shelter...a wall etc. If it's proper +50mph winds then it's best to leave the cover off. The stormex does come with a belly strap but I've seen a bike blown over with a cover on.
Also worth considering the prevailing wind direction. Point it into the wind kinda thing.

Invest in some ACF50, or at the very least wipe the bike down with some WD40 before fitting the cover. The downside with covers, even vented ones is they do hold moisture.
You can re-proof the cover with silicone spray...It's dead cheap.

The covers are big and touch the ground, so when the weather is good hang it up to dry properly.

I'm available 24/7 should you need any Bike Covers advice.
Calls will be monitored.
Thats what I do - face it into the wind - I've also seen bikes blown over (one being mine!). Thanks.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jay-Dub
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 27 Oct 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:56 - 28 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

MC wrote:
Lidl had some in recently which are meant to be quite highly rated. Ended up buying 2 as a friend wanted one then bought one himself Rolling Eyes so I've got a spare if your interested.
https://www.statichukd.com/images/threads/high-res/1329553_1.jpg
H110/70 x W80/50 x L200
Thanks but I'll go for the Stormex I think, I don't think I've ever been satisfied with anything other than food from Lidl Rolling Eyes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jay-Dub
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 27 Oct 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:00 - 28 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone! I'll give the Stormex a try, I'd still like a canvas one though Razz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

j.silvs
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Dec 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:50 - 29 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my stormex today! Amazing cover!

Anyone carry this around with them? If so, how? Lol
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
MC This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Jonathan A
Crazy Courier



Joined: 23 Jun 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:05 - 30 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the topic of Lidl, here is what I saw in there the other day: [img] https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/p480x480/1376595_569241103142532_8831555_n.jpg [/img]

On the topic of covers, I find my Argos one to be quite adequate, although it flaps about a bit in the wind. Dead cheap though Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rigga
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Nov 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:56 - 30 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

MC wrote:
Jay-Dub wrote:
I don't think I've ever been satisfied with anything other than food from Lidl Rolling Eyes

My fav's the tin tomatoes, that don't contain any tomatoes Very Happy


Their mushy peas are the best. 11p a tin and they give you radioactive bright green piss!
____________________
Current bike: Honda CBR 1100xx
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jay-Dub
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 27 Oct 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:40 - 30 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've already put Argoose bike covers on the list of never agains... I don't think I got 6 weeks out of it - it just wasn't man enough.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:49 - 30 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a hand-me-down Oxford cover which I think might also be a Stormex. It has holes in the front and rear for putting chains through so it will stop it getting nicked. I think it's brilliant, covers my KLE and completely weather proof. Also has an inner lining which I think is to stop moisture building up? Not really sure, suppose it has thermal value too. Not very portable though, I used to have a cheap Motrax cover for that and it barely lasted a few months at work before it was ripped to shreds by the wind.
____________________
KTM 990 SMT & Suzuki DR-Z 400 SM
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

clancy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:25 - 30 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get Oxford rainex covers for £23 on eBay at the minute! Absolute bargain, get one
____________________
KLX 300r
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jay-Dub
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 27 Oct 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:01 - 30 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

clancy wrote:
You can get Oxford rainex covers for £23 on eBay at the minute! Absolute bargain, get one

I think the rainex is a bit more feeble than the Stormex which J.Silvs has also pointed out, It really has to be tough where I live, thats why I want a canvas one.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave70
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:37 - 30 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're worried about it getting wrecked by the weather, don't be. I bought an Oxford Stormex almost two years ago and live on a small island slap bang middle in the Irish Sea, were the rain pours down and the wind blows the hair off your head for nine months of the year. The cover has held up extremely well and is still going strong Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 337 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.64 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 123.89 Kb