|
|
| Author |
Message |
| RhynoCZ |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 RhynoCZ Super Spammer

Joined: 09 Mar 2012 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 20:08 - 23 Jan 2014 Post subject: PC problem... |
 |
|
Hello, today I tried to get my old PC to work and I was not sucessful.
It's celeron 433Mhz, riva TNT 2 and some old PC-133 ram on still uknown MB.
So far, the HDD spins and makes noise (there's OEM WinXP on it), the noise stops after about 3 secs, but it's still spinning.
The power/green LED is ON all the time, the HDD/red led does not work at all. There's no beeping from the speaker and I've got no video. I even tried another GPU, but it was odd, the AGP slot was the other way around, anyway got it in and it was even worse, nothing worked. So what could it be? I tried to start it with no GPU, just to check if it beeps, also with no HDD swapped ram and nothing. I know the PSU, HDD and LCD monitor I used worked just fine.
+ Everything gets warm, so something ''has to'' work.
https://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae184/RhynoCZ/Anything%20else/DSC_2257_zpsfef0cb4f.jpg
https://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae184/RhynoCZ/Anything%20else/DSC_2264_zps9cc4f16b.jpg
https://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae184/RhynoCZ/Anything%20else/DSC_2270_zpsa64a7d18.jpg
https://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae184/RhynoCZ/Anything%20else/DSC_2271_zpse8c8d571.jpg
https://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae184/RhynoCZ/Anything%20else/DSC_2273_zps6388cb8f.jpg
https://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae184/RhynoCZ/Anything%20else/DSC_2277_zps2931ddb6.jpg
https://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae184/RhynoCZ/Anything%20else/DSC_2278_zps83e31d78.jpg
https://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae184/RhynoCZ/Anything%20else/DSC_2279_zps169e0777.jpg
https://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae184/RhynoCZ/Anything%20else/DSC_2288_zps264c8c1f.jpg
https://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae184/RhynoCZ/Anything%20else/DSC_2287_zps8e2497f7.jpg
https://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae184/RhynoCZ/Anything%20else/DSC_2290_zps52af47fa.jpg
https://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae184/RhynoCZ/Anything%20else/DSC_2276_zps5f8e0fdc.jpg
https://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae184/RhynoCZ/Anything%20else/DSC_2274_zps81ef7b02.jpg
https://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae184/RhynoCZ/Anything%20else/DSC_2275_zpsd395022e.jpg ____________________ '87 Honda XBR 500, '96 Kawasaki ZX7R P1, '90 Honda CB-1, '88 Kawasaki GPz550, MZ 150 ETZ
'95 Mercedes-Benz w202 C200 CGI, '98 Mercedes-Benz w210 E200 Kompressor
Last edited by RhynoCZ on 20:14 - 23 Jan 2014; edited 1 time in total |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| RhynoCZ |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 RhynoCZ Super Spammer

Joined: 09 Mar 2012 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| T1z3R |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 T1z3R World Chat Champion

Joined: 23 Oct 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Tungtvann |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Tungtvann World Chat Champion

Joined: 07 Dec 2012 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| RhynoCZ |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 RhynoCZ Super Spammer

Joined: 09 Mar 2012 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 20:23 - 23 Jan 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
Well, it was in a shoe box for about 10 years. I was just curious what could be wrong. It worked just fine back then. Even under winXP, connected to the internet. If I could emulate GPU's on modern PC I wouldn't have bothered with the old stuff.  ____________________ '87 Honda XBR 500, '96 Kawasaki ZX7R P1, '90 Honda CB-1, '88 Kawasaki GPz550, MZ 150 ETZ
'95 Mercedes-Benz w202 C200 CGI, '98 Mercedes-Benz w210 E200 Kompressor |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| RhynoCZ |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 RhynoCZ Super Spammer

Joined: 09 Mar 2012 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| T1z3R |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 T1z3R World Chat Champion

Joined: 23 Oct 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 20:51 - 23 Jan 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
yeah i meant the other card.
normal procedure is to start swapping out the ram with known good ones, then cpu.
did it return to the previous part operational state with the original card after you tried with the second one? ____________________ duck my sick! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| RhynoCZ |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 RhynoCZ Super Spammer

Joined: 09 Mar 2012 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 20:58 - 23 Jan 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
The red ATi is also AGP.
I can't swap the CPU, the celeron 433Mhz is the only one I have. I can only swap ram (not sure if those I have work), HDD, PSU and GPU. ____________________ '87 Honda XBR 500, '96 Kawasaki ZX7R P1, '90 Honda CB-1, '88 Kawasaki GPz550, MZ 150 ETZ
'95 Mercedes-Benz w202 C200 CGI, '98 Mercedes-Benz w210 E200 Kompressor |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ste |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ste Not Work Safe

Joined: 01 Sep 2002 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Shinigami |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Shinigami World Chat Champion

Joined: 14 Feb 2012 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| RhynoCZ |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 RhynoCZ Super Spammer

Joined: 09 Mar 2012 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Shinigami |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Shinigami World Chat Champion

Joined: 14 Feb 2012 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| RhynoCZ |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 RhynoCZ Super Spammer

Joined: 09 Mar 2012 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 11:48 - 24 Jan 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
The red card (ATi, 100% positive it works) is AGP, I've got here an newer MB with AGP slot, I tried the Riva TNT2 (orange/yellow) card in it, but it was no use. BUT I could fit it the right way, interesting. I could not fit the ATi on my old MB (the one in the pics) the right way. The right way = VGA/DVI facing the back of the case, just like other conectors on the MB.
I though ''modern'' AGP slots were back compatible with older AGP cards. Well I think the Riva is dead,
By the way, you can actually see the card next the to AGP slot and it fits just fine, the other way around but fine. The AGP just doesn't get enough power into the card, I guess.
EDIT: Q, shouldn't it be beeping if there was no card at all?  ____________________ '87 Honda XBR 500, '96 Kawasaki ZX7R P1, '90 Honda CB-1, '88 Kawasaki GPz550, MZ 150 ETZ
'95 Mercedes-Benz w202 C200 CGI, '98 Mercedes-Benz w210 E200 Kompressor |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| CaNsA |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 CaNsA Super Spammer

Joined: 02 Jan 2008 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| RhynoCZ |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 RhynoCZ Super Spammer

Joined: 09 Mar 2012 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 12:22 - 24 Jan 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
I set the HDD to master, there are more IDE pins on the MB but I've no idea what does what so I did not touch it and believe it's alright. No one ever touched it and it worked back then.
I tried it with no GPU and HDD, just the CPU+Ram and speaker, did the same thing, just powered up, and nothing, no beeping. ____________________ '87 Honda XBR 500, '96 Kawasaki ZX7R P1, '90 Honda CB-1, '88 Kawasaki GPz550, MZ 150 ETZ
'95 Mercedes-Benz w202 C200 CGI, '98 Mercedes-Benz w210 E200 Kompressor |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| CaNsA |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 CaNsA Super Spammer

Joined: 02 Jan 2008 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| RhynoCZ |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 RhynoCZ Super Spammer

Joined: 09 Mar 2012 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 12:42 - 24 Jan 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
model: P6V693A/A5-133
manufacturer: Legend QDI (???)
According to google, there should be AGP2X slot on it.
https://i.fixya.net/fixya20/uploads/images/4C90FE6.jpg ____________________ '87 Honda XBR 500, '96 Kawasaki ZX7R P1, '90 Honda CB-1, '88 Kawasaki GPz550, MZ 150 ETZ
'95 Mercedes-Benz w202 C200 CGI, '98 Mercedes-Benz w210 E200 Kompressor |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| CaNsA |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 CaNsA Super Spammer

Joined: 02 Jan 2008 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| RhynoCZ |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 RhynoCZ Super Spammer

Joined: 09 Mar 2012 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| craisin |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 craisin Derestricted Danger
Joined: 25 Jan 2014 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Seb |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Seb World Chat Champion

Joined: 19 Jul 2007 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 14:27 - 25 Jan 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
The 'it's PCI-E' replies gave me a good chuckle
That white connector on the TNT2 is likely a fan power connector.
Put the yellow TNT2 back in it, power it on, give it 5 seconds and tap the power button again. Assuming it's running off an ATX power supply if it switches itself off then it is at least posting meaning the motherboard, cpu and ram are at least ok. If it hangs and refuses to switch off until you pull the plug or hold down the button, it's probably dead, likely the northbridge shorting out when you put that AGP4 card in backwards. ____________________ 2010 Triumph 1050 Sprint ST |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Seb |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Seb World Chat Champion

Joined: 19 Jul 2007 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| CaNsA |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 CaNsA Super Spammer

Joined: 02 Jan 2008 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| RhynoCZ |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 RhynoCZ Super Spammer

Joined: 09 Mar 2012 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 20:35 - 25 Jan 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
On the left is FSB setting, I can go AUTO or 66Mhz. It was on AUTO all those years and I also tried the 66mhz option. I have no idea what's on the right side, but the pins were never connected together.
I also tried the JCC, all three options, 1+2; 2+3; nothing. It only powers up the board when it's 2+3 (like in the picture). The CHSSEC right next to it was like this since the begining and I tried to connect those two pins but it did no difference.
EDIT: I also tried different AGP card (an 2001 ATi, PN 109-85700-00) that I knew it worked, it had the exact same 2X/4X connector as the Riva. ____________________ '87 Honda XBR 500, '96 Kawasaki ZX7R P1, '90 Honda CB-1, '88 Kawasaki GPz550, MZ 150 ETZ
'95 Mercedes-Benz w202 C200 CGI, '98 Mercedes-Benz w210 E200 Kompressor |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| prawny1 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 prawny1 World Chat Champion

Joined: 28 Jun 2005 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 12 years, 249 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|