Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Would you wear a helmet?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

mikesaa309
Traffic Copper



Joined: 10 Nov 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:37 - 04 Feb 2014    Post subject: Would you wear a helmet? Reply with quote

I was reading on visor down, 11 laws that should change for motorcyclists.

One of them was to allow bikers to choose whether they want to wear a helmet or not and not be law to wear one.

If the law was revoked, would you still wear a helmet or not wear one?

I personally would wear one. Not only for my safety but in the summer, flies have hit my helmet quite hard and would hurt like fuck if they hit you in the face.


Last edited by mikesaa309 on 17:03 - 04 Feb 2014; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

GeorgeB.
Crazy Courier



Joined: 08 Mar 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:40 - 04 Feb 2014    Post subject: Re: Would you wear a helmet? Reply with quote

mikesaa309 wrote:
I personally would wear one.


Good for you Thumbs Up

/thread
____________________
Current: '99 Fazer 600 | '99 Range Rover P38 4.6 HSE
Previous: Keeway TX125 | CBF 125 | CB400SF Project Big One
CBT 04/12/12 | Theory 03/12/13 | MOD 1 06/01/14 | MOD 2 13/01/14
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

wr6133
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:43 - 04 Feb 2014    Post subject: Re: Would you wear a helmet? Reply with quote

mikesaa309 wrote:
Not only for my safety but in the summer, flies have hit my helmet quite hard and would hurt like fuck if they hit you in the face.


I wear open face so can confirm yeah it stings like hell when they hit the face (bandana's round the face kind of fix this)!

As to helmets I think it should be personal choice, I'd still wear one, though not always one that conforms to 22.05, I dislike laws telling me what I should do on matters I believe are personal choice.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Sep 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:49 - 04 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely.

Traveling fast in an open face helmet is bloody uncomfortable enough.

I can't imagine why anyone would enjoy heading face first into a 100mph headwind!
____________________
Current bike - 2018 H2-SX, 2004 SV1000s, 2016 Aprilia RSV4 RF, 2017 Sherco SERF 300, 2003 Suzuki DRZ400 (stolen - AY53 JUU)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:49 - 04 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe, depends.

If its a quick jaunt to McDonalds or down the shop, doubtful. I've ridden home from my mums with no helmet once...left it hanging on the mirror Laughing Realised upon arrival.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mikesaa309
Traffic Copper



Joined: 10 Nov 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:56 - 04 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one of those flip front helmets that also has the sun visor in it too.

I've only had it for a couple of months so haven't been hit in the face by a fly yet and with the weather being cold haven't really had the front up riding open faced, only on the odd few times.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

covent.gardens
World Clap Champion



Joined: 09 Jun 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:02 - 04 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the time I would, but not always.

At work the other day I wanted to fuel my bike in my lunch break. I had the keys but my helmet was in the staff room... I thought it bullshit that I couldn't hop on and drive just down the road to the filling station.

The same with giving a passenger a lift a little way down the road, when you didn't bring a spare lid, as you didn't know they'd want a lift.

If they amended it so that riding without a helmet at >30mph was illegal, <=30mph legal, I'd be happier.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:23 - 04 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would. Wearing ones saved a few friends lives.
____________________
illuminateTHEmind wrote: I am just more evolved than most of you guys... this allows me to pick of things quickly which would have normally taken the common man years to master
Hockeystorm65:.well there are childish arguments...there are very childish arguments.....there are really stupid childish arguments and now there are......Pinkfloyd arguments!
Teflon-Mike:I think I agree with just about all Pinky has said.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

sidewinder
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Aug 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:26 - 04 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would all the time to risky these days.a knock on the head at 10mph is enough finish you off Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:28 - 04 Feb 2014    Post subject: Re: Would you wear a helmet? Reply with quote

mikesaa309 wrote:

If the law was revoked, would you still wear a helmet or wear one?


Not much of a choice there then. Laughing

My answer to the question you intended to ask would be: Sometimes.

My reason for this: Because.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Huambo81a
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 16 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:29 - 04 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definitely wear one.

I had a fly explode on my face when the visor was up, and i got the worst puss filled boil. It was so bad i took a week's holiday, because i was too ashamed to show my face at work.

Wouldnt wear a helmet on holiday though, as everyone knows that you are protected from the tarmac by good feelings and sunshine.
____________________
Present: 2017 KTM Super Adventure S
Past: 97 Bandit 600 / 05 Bandit 1200 / 03 ZX6-R / 2006 Tuono R / 2001 VFR 800 / 2010 Street Triple R / 2013 Speed Triple S / 2017 S1000XR


Last edited by Huambo81a on 16:31 - 04 Feb 2014; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

andys675
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:30 - 04 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

after 28 years in the saddle I'm not going to stop wearing one if they do change the law.
____________________
Some people feel the rain, others just get wet.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Knightsy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Jun 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:37 - 04 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I would. My lid's a pretty quiet and comfy place at motorway speeds.
____________________
09' Versys 650 | 07' FJR1300A
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:39 - 04 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think as we live in a country where we contribute to each others health care costs, we do have some responsibility to reduce the risks associated with our activities. Wearing a helmet supposedly significantly reduces risk of serious injury so reduces the costs associated with accidents. Of course you could have a system where excess cost due to not taking precautions could be clawed back by the NHS but I doubt it would be easy to administer.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Sep 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:42 - 04 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boozehawk wrote:
I think as we live in a country where we contribute to each others health care costs, we do have some responsibility to reduce the risks associated with our activities. Wearing a helmet supposedly significantly reduces risk of serious injury so reduces the costs associated with accidents. Of course you could have a system where excess cost due to not taking precautions could be clawed back by the NHS but I doubt it would be easy to administer.


Of course, it could be argued that a helmet enables some riders to survive accidents that would otherwise have killed them. Leading to huge costs in the treatment of their injuries that would otherwise have been avoided if they hadn't survived.....
____________________
Current bike - 2018 H2-SX, 2004 SV1000s, 2016 Aprilia RSV4 RF, 2017 Sherco SERF 300, 2003 Suzuki DRZ400 (stolen - AY53 JUU)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

anthony_r6
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:00 - 04 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd probably make short journeys on really nice days without a helmet if the law was revoked. Rain, Wind and Solid Objects would probably make me wear one.
____________________
Ted : "Maybe he's agoraphobic."
Dougal : "Jack scared of fighting? I don't think so, Ted."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Shinigami
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:01 - 04 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd still wear one, partly safety and partly because I look boss in one, makes chicks cream and vastly improves my face.


or something Rolling Eyes
____________________
Current: Honda City Fly CLR125 2003 Honda CB600F Hornet 2008 Yamaha FZ6 S2 + 1991 Kawasaki GPZ500
"Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:01 - 04 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boozehawk wrote:
Of course you could have a system where excess cost due to not taking precautions could be clawed back by the NHS but I doubt it would be easy to administer.


First thing that would be targeted, motorcycles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

anthony_r6
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:19 - 04 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Boozehawk wrote:
Of course you could have a system where excess cost due to not taking precautions could be clawed back by the NHS but I doubt it would be easy to administer.


First thing that would be targeted, motorcycles.


Alcohol-abuse (alcoholics, bing drinkers), then smokers, then fat people. These people would all be hit hard.
____________________
Ted : "Maybe he's agoraphobic."
Dougal : "Jack scared of fighting? I don't think so, Ted."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:21 - 04 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Boozehawk wrote:
Of course you could have a system where excess cost due to not taking precautions could be clawed back by the NHS but I doubt it would be easy to administer.


First thing that would be targeted, motorcycles.


Cyclists? surely?

Its an old argument, itl never happen because everyone knows its a slippery slope.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

SQL
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:23 - 04 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not worn a helmet for a few miles after leaving my heated grips on Embarassed and bump starting the bike with no lid.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

wr6133
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:30 - 04 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnPhonEh wrote:


Alcohol-abuse (alcoholics, bing drinkers), then smokers, then fat people. These people would all be hit hard.


Smokers do pay and then some. I think in 2008 smokers paid 9 billion in taxes compared to costing NHS England 2.7 billion in treatment. Now if that cash didn't make its way to the NHS to cover the 2.7 billion that's an issue with our dictators

Obese people I would love to get billed. I'm sick of hearing "I didn't realise till it was too late"..... how the fuck does someone not notice as they approach 28 stone??????????????????????
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:17 - 04 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

But if we didn't wear helmets, how could petrol stations make it clear that they don't want our sort there?
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:44 - 04 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:
I would. Wearing ones saved a few friends lives.


I'd leave mine off, there's a few people I'd like to pop their clogs.
____________________
Chances are quite high you are not in my Monkeysphere, and I don't care about you. Don't take it personally.
Currently : Royal Enfield 350 Meteor
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mikesaa309
Traffic Copper



Joined: 10 Nov 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:46 - 04 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:


I'd leave mine off, there's a few people I'd like to pop their clogs.


Me being one of them? Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 240 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.92 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 127.05 Kb