Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Cancelling insurance after bike crash?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

binfieldx
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 28 Mar 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:52 - 06 Feb 2014    Post subject: Cancelling insurance after bike crash? Reply with quote

Hi all,

quick question. I had a bike crash recently which is currently being processed by both parties however, I now do not have a bike so really I'm paying £45/month for my insurance and it's been gone for two months. I'm not using a hire bike so my question is, am I inclined to keep paying for the insurance as the investigation is still underway, or can I cancel it and the claim will still go ahead?

Tom
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mic
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 09 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:55 - 06 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

as i understand it, you will have to pay the years worth regardless as youve made a claim.

not worth phoning to ask?
____________________
zzr600
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

binfieldx
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 28 Mar 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:57 - 06 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that's lame! Makes sense i'd guess. Yeah I was going to phone but thought i'd try and get some general information before I phoned and checked without sounding like a numpty.

Last edited by binfieldx on 12:58 - 06 Feb 2014; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Minty
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:57 - 06 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full premium is only due on a fault claim.

OP, has your insurance company deemd your bike to be a total loss? Most companies will terminate a policy as of that date.

Give them a ring but do not expect much on terms of refunds.
____________________
My fingers smell of your mum.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

binfieldx
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 28 Mar 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:00 - 06 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minty wrote:
Full premium is only due on a fault claim.

OP, has your insurance company deemd your bike to be a total loss? Most companies will terminate a policy as of that date.

Give them a ring but do not expect much on terms of refunds.


Erm, basically they are at a point now where they phoned me and said the other parties company has checked the vehicle and deemed it as category C so I can have part + bike back or no bike + full amount but they are currently totting up what its market value is.

I'm guessing that means the other company have accepted fault and paying for it? I won't count my chickens though.

The incident happen on December 18th and I had the normal £45 taken out at begining of January and I have the next one coming up on Monday..I suppose i'll find out then if I get charged again?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:04 - 06 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting question but could you change the policy over to a new bike, even though you have made the claim Question
____________________
CB125>CG125>GN125>ER5>K100RS>R1100RS>K100RS
A2 completed 23/07/15 Ready for the Golden Crisp Packet
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

binfieldx
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 28 Mar 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:07 - 06 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheSmiler wrote:
Interesting question but could you change the policy over to a new bike, even though you have made the claim Question


I did consider that then decided I'm not going to get a new bike until I'm 23 and can take my DA to get an unrestricted license.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:19 - 06 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

binfieldx wrote:
TheSmiler wrote:
Interesting question but could you change the policy over to a new bike, even though you have made the claim Question


I did consider that then decided I'm not going to get a new bike until I'm 23 and can take my DA to get an unrestricted license.


How long is that away? It could be worth buying a cheap moped and insuring it to get some no claims. They are going to rape you, fault or no fault claim.
____________________
Victory Cross Country American tractor.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

binfieldx
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 28 Mar 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:35 - 06 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a very fair point. I've got two years till i'm 23 so could be worth it..
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:41 - 06 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

binfieldx wrote:
TheSmiler wrote:
Interesting question but could you change the policy over to a new bike, even though you have made the claim Question


I did consider that then decided I'm not going to get a new bike until I'm 23 and can take my DA to get an unrestricted license.


Be worth checking it out it might actually save you some cash you never know. Oh and why 23 I wonder you can't do DAS till you are 24; or is it just so you can get some recent experience under your belt again Question
____________________
CB125>CG125>GN125>ER5>K100RS>R1100RS>K100RS
A2 completed 23/07/15 Ready for the Golden Crisp Packet
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

binfieldx
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 28 Mar 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:00 - 06 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheSmiler wrote:
Interesting question but could you change the policy over to a new bike, even though you have made the claim Question




Is it 24? I haven't been keeping up to date with the new regs Neutral
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:04 - 06 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

binfieldx wrote:
Minty wrote:
Full premium is only due on a fault claim.

OP, has your insurance company deemd your bike to be a total loss? Most companies will terminate a policy as of that date.

Give them a ring but do not expect much on terms of refunds.


Erm, basically they are at a point now where they phoned me and said the other parties company has checked the vehicle and deemed it as category C so I can have part + bike back or no bike + full amount but they are currently totting up what its market value is.

I'm guessing that means the other company have accepted fault and paying for it? I won't count my chickens though.

The incident happen on December 18th and I had the normal £45 taken out at begining of January and I have the next one coming up on Monday..I suppose i'll find out then if I get charged again?


You're paying monthly so you must be subject to a credit agreement. Check the cancellation charges.
____________________
a.k.a 'Geri'

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:05 - 06 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

binfieldx wrote:
TheSmiler wrote:
Interesting question but could you change the policy over to a new bike, even though you have made the claim Question




Is it 24? I haven't been keeping up to date with the new regs Neutral


Yes It is link to website. https://www.gov.uk/rules-motorcyclists-83-to-88/motorcycle-licence-requirements

Quote:
A2 motorcycle licence: At age 19 or over, you take a test on a motorcycle without sidecar of at least 395 cc with a power output of at least 25 kW but not exceeding 35 kW. If you pass, you may ride any motorcycle not exceeding 35 kW and with a power to weight ratio not exceeding 0.2 kW/kg.

Full A motorcycle licence: Test taken on a motorcycle without sidecar, of at least 595 cc and an engine power of at least 40 kW. This gives you full access to all motorcycles and motor tricycles. You obtain a category A licence by taking progressive access from age 21, or under the direct access scheme from age 24.

Category A under progressive access: You can take a category A practical test at age 21 if you already have an A2 licence that you’ve held for a minimum of two years. You don’t need to take another theory test or hold a CBT certificate.

Category A under direct access: This is for riders aged 24 or over. To obtain a category A licence you must

successfully complete a CBT course
pass the motorcycle theory test
pass the practical motorcycle test.

Passing the practical test on a motorcycle of at least 40 kW (53.6bhp) gives immediate access to all sizes of motorcycle.

____________________
CB125>CG125>GN125>ER5>K100RS>R1100RS>K100RS
A2 completed 23/07/15 Ready for the Golden Crisp Packet
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:37 - 06 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

But no, I'd get the bike back + dollar.

Sell the bike, get more dollar.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

binfieldx
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 28 Mar 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:09 - 06 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
But no, I'd get the bike back + dollar.

Sell the bike, get more dollar.


The bikes engine is fuxxed I wouldn't get any money for it private
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

krarkol
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Oct 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:14 - 06 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rang mine and asked about it, they said I can but because the claim is still ongoing it will be put down as a debt.

If I lose, they chase me for the money. If I win, the 3rd party pays.
____________________
Bandit 600 - deaded
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:40 - 06 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

binfieldx wrote:
Paddy. wrote:
But no, I'd get the bike back + dollar.

Sell the bike, get more dollar.


The bikes engine is fuxxed I wouldn't get any money for it private


How fucked...?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bikertomm
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:46 - 06 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:


How fucked...?


Looks like Paddy's found his next bike Laughing Wink
____________________
07' Honda Hornet now full powaah! My guide on performing an oil change!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:47 - 06 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just like buying shit if I'm honest.. Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

exuptoy
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 05 Aug 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:24 - 06 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hd an off in September and the bike was a total loss and my fault.

They paid out for my bike and leathers as I was full comp and when I went to insure my new bike, I was informed I will lose this years no claims but still retain my previous ones AND the new bike is insured on the existing policy as it isn't due to run out until september (it was a 15 month policy with MCE)
____________________
Chaos, panic, destruction....my work here is done
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 242 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.87 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 110.69 Kb