 |
|
 |

|
|
| Author |
Message |
| gorillaonabik... |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 gorillaonabik... Nearly there...
Joined: 31 Jul 2011 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 17:02 - 07 Feb 2014 Post subject: Legal advice - rad |
 |
|
My rad blew on my bike. It is a new rad, 9 months old - March of last year and the main dealer has been excellent - very supportive as they have rounded up a courtesy bike for me, helped me get home and did the little things like offer me a coffee when I was soaking wet. They went the extra mile, even before I'd committed to getting the rad replaced.
However, the manufacturer (big motorbike company) has told me the rad is 9 months old and out of warranty (6 months). Therefore, I can pay for it myself.
Naturally, my plan is to take them to a small claims court. The law is clear. If I can prove it is a manufacturing defect, I can have the item replaced within a 2 year period. The dealer tells me it is clearly a defect, the area damaged is behind the radiator so it is not a stone that has been thrown up by the front wheel and the radiator core failed. In addition, there are no outward visible signs of damage.
However, have never been to a small claims court so does anyone have any experience of this and can advise what to expect? ____________________ FZR400 (blown engine), ZXR750 (blown engine), ZX6R (accident), CBR600 which had engine issues after which I learned to change gear..., CBR900, CBR924 (stolen), CB600, CB1300 (everything blew up), BMW K1300GT (written off, hit from rear while stationary), Bandit 1250 for a couple of months, Triumph Sprint ST 1050 (nicked) and somewhere in there, I wrote off a Ducati 748 at Cadwell. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rogerborg |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rogerborg nimbA

Joined: 26 Oct 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 18:00 - 07 Feb 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
I can only tell you that I didn't make it to the Scotch Sheriff court, as the defendant folded and agreed to pay up literally the night before.
What I did was go to an independent garage and get an estimate for the time and money to source the parts and sort the problem - a sticky clutch.
I sent that to the selling dealer and to the manufacturer, inviting either of them to do the work themselves within two weeks, or I'd get it done at the other garage and bill them.
Both of them ignored it, as they'd been shrugging and saying "2 1/2 years old, out of warranty, not our problem" up to then.
I got the work done, and then sent them both an invoice (referencing each other) requiring payment within 2 weeks.
Both ignored it.
I then sent a notice before action, again to both of them telling them that I may file a small court action against either of them for the value of the invoice, and start adding on costs, if I didn't receive payment in full within another 2 weeks.
Both ignored it.
I then filed a case against the manufacturer - having to pick one, I went for the deeper pockets. Back then, that was a trip to the court to fill in a bunch of paperwork and pay a fee. In Englandandwales, you can now do it online.
They ignored it, as far as I knew.
Some months ( ) later, on the night before the case, sometime after 5pm, I got a call from their solicitors. After I explained what I'd done and what I'd be presenting in court the next day, they agreed to pay the full value of the invoice plus the court filing fees and my posting costs, by cheque, within 5 days, and they did so.
Today, I'd want that in an email or immediate payment. I was a bit trusting, but it worked out OK. It was quite civilised, they were actually fairly cheery and I reckon had no intention of even showing up, they were just checking that I was going to show and not come across as a mong or nutter and therefore win by default.
I warn you that it's a long process and takes some time. You definitely want them to settle out of court, because getting a judgement is only the start of yet another process to actually wring money out of them. I probably made a mistake going after the English based manufacturer in a Scotch court, as that would have complicated the recovery procedure. I'm actually a little surprised that the Sheriff Court accepted the case, now that I've belatedly read the procedure on it, but a win is a win.
tl;dr - get an independent written opinion, keep records, do everything in writing, be polite but firm, be prepared for a long siege. ____________________ Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ... |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ... Brolly Dolly
Joined: 12 Oct 2009 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| bezzabsa |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 bezzabsa Scooby Slapper
Joined: 24 Jan 2013 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| gorillaonabik... |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 gorillaonabik... Nearly there...
Joined: 31 Jul 2011 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 00:28 - 08 Feb 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
| Rogerborg wrote: | I can only tell you that I didn't make it to the Scotch Sheriff court, as the defendant folded and agreed to pay up literally the night before.
What I did was go to an independent garage and get an estimate for the time and money to source the parts and sort the problem - a sticky clutch.
I sent that to the selling dealer and to the manufacturer, inviting either of them to do the work themselves within two weeks, or I'd get it done at the other garage and bill them.
Both of them ignored it, as they'd been shrugging and saying "2 1/2 years old, out of warranty, not our problem" up to then.
I got the work done, and then sent them both an invoice (referencing each other) requiring payment within 2 weeks.
Both ignored it.
I then sent a notice before action, again to both of them telling them that I may file a small court action against either of them for the value of the invoice, and start adding on costs, if I didn't receive payment in full within another 2 weeks.
Both ignored it.
I then filed a case against the manufacturer - having to pick one, I went for the deeper pockets. Back then, that was a trip to the court to fill in a bunch of paperwork and pay a fee. In Englandandwales, you can now do it online.
They ignored it, as far as I knew.
Some months (  ) later, on the night before the case, sometime after 5pm, I got a call from their solicitors. After I explained what I'd done and what I'd be presenting in court the next day, they agreed to pay the full value of the invoice plus the court filing fees and my posting costs, by cheque, within 5 days, and they did so.
Today, I'd want that in an email or immediate payment. I was a bit trusting, but it worked out OK. It was quite civilised, they were actually fairly cheery and I reckon had no intention of even showing up, they were just checking that I was going to show and not come across as a mong or nutter and therefore win by default.
I warn you that it's a long process and takes some time. You definitely want them to settle out of court, because getting a judgement is only the start of yet another process to actually wring money out of them. I probably made a mistake going after the English based manufacturer in a Scotch court, as that would have complicated the recovery procedure. I'm actually a little surprised that the Sheriff Court accepted the case, now that I've belatedly read the procedure on it, but a win is a win.
tl;dr - get an independent written opinion, keep records, do everything in writing, be polite but firm, be prepared for a long siege. |
Fantastic, thanks. Will shake them a little by trying for punitives based on the call I had with them today (the operator either not being trained to deal with callers in a legally appropriate way or alternatively being advised to break the law etc...) ____________________ FZR400 (blown engine), ZXR750 (blown engine), ZX6R (accident), CBR600 which had engine issues after which I learned to change gear..., CBR900, CBR924 (stolen), CB600, CB1300 (everything blew up), BMW K1300GT (written off, hit from rear while stationary), Bandit 1250 for a couple of months, Triumph Sprint ST 1050 (nicked) and somewhere in there, I wrote off a Ducati 748 at Cadwell. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Derek1943 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Derek1943 Two Stroke Sniffer
Joined: 23 Nov 2013 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| pdg |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 pdg World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 Sep 2012 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Derek1943 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Derek1943 Two Stroke Sniffer
Joined: 23 Nov 2013 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rogerborg |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rogerborg nimbA

Joined: 26 Oct 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 14:00 - 08 Feb 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
I'll note that while I do agree with the above, there's a pragmatic consideration of who has deeper pockets and is more likely to pay out.
While going after the "manufacturer" (UK importer, really) did work out for me, it was with hindsight the wrong decision, and knowing what I know now, I'd go after the retail seller.
| gorillaonabike wrote: | Will shake them a little by trying for punitives |
Small claims is for clawing back only what you can show that you've lost or are owed. ____________________ Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
Last edited by Rogerborg on 14:17 - 08 Feb 2014; edited 1 time in total |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| lihp |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 lihp World Chat Champion
Joined: 22 Sep 2010 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Derek1943 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Derek1943 Two Stroke Sniffer
Joined: 23 Nov 2013 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 12 years, 236 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

|
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum You cannot attach files in this forum You cannot download files in this forum
|
Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 0.78 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 78.27 Kb
|