Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Couple of questions from a newbie.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Marcepan
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 11 Feb 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:46 - 11 Feb 2014    Post subject: Couple of questions from a newbie. Reply with quote

Since it is my first post here I'd like say hello to everyone! Smile

To the business now:

Recently I got really feed up taking a bus to university and work (up to 6 trips a day!) as it simply is taking too much time and have to pay for this 'pleasure' £50/month. I figured then getting 125cc bike could be a good idea.

So I have couple of questions about that matter:

I own Provisional Driving Licence (got it with idea of driving a car), can I ride a bike legally on it?
https://photosofcards.thesevenmediagroup.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/dlprov-back.jpg
I hope I can since one of the categories at the back indicates bikes.

I'm not planning to stick to the 125cc for too long, I would probably move to something stronger after 6-12 months. Is it good idea to get Chinese bike in this situation? My budget is not huge, maximum I could pay for the machine is £700-800.

What do you think about this for example?
https://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/lexmoto-vixen125-125cc-offers/1047524435

The last aspect I need help with is clothes, how much I have to spend (roughly) on the kit? I saw new helmets for £49, would like to get new gloves as well. Not really sure about rest of the stuff?

And lastly, as you probably noticed I live in Aberdeen. How much of an issue will be frequent rainy weather? I'm thinking about riding in the rain as well as parking the bike at driveway (no access to garage unfortunately). How much does 'bike cover' cost?

Any help will be appreciated, thanks in advance! Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

twistedlemon
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 09 Feb 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:52 - 11 Feb 2014    Post subject: Re: Couple of questions from a newbie. Reply with quote

Marcepan wrote:
Since it is my first post here I'd like say hello to everyone! Smile

To the business now:

Recently I got really feed up taking a bus to university and work (up to 6 trips a day!) as it simply is taking too much time and have to pay for this 'pleasure' £50/month. I figured then getting 125cc bike could be a good idea.

So I have couple of questions about that matter:

I own Provisional Driving Licence (got it with idea of driving a car), can I ride a bike legally on it?
https://photosofcards.thesevenmediagroup.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/dlprov-back.jpg
I hope I can since one of the categories at the back indicates bikes.

I'm not planning to stick to the 125cc for too long, I would probably move to something stronger after 6-12 months. Is it good idea to get Chinese bike in this situation? My budget is not huge, maximum I could pay for the machine is £700-800.

What do you think about this for example?
https://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/lexmoto-vixen125-125cc-offers/1047524435

The last aspect I need help with is clothes, how much I have to spend (roughly) on the kit? I saw new helmets for £49, would like to get new gloves as well. Not really sure about rest of the stuff?

And lastly, as you probably noticed I live in Aberdeen. How much of an issue will be frequent rainy weather? I'm thinking about riding in the rain as well as parking the bike at driveway (no access to garage unfortunately). How much does 'bike cover' cost?

Any help will be appreciated, thanks in advance! Wink


Whatever you do, don't buy a Chinese bike. Get a CG125 for the same amount of cash and it will never break down on you. Especially since you live in Aberdeen where the conditions are harsher!

You will need to do your CBT before you're legally allowed to ride the roads, with L plates mind.

Also, don't buy a cheap helmet. How much is your head worth to you? I'd say you can't put a price on it - look at Schumacher for example.

And lastly, welcome!
____________________
2013 Triumph Daytona 675
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

wr6133
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:21 - 11 Feb 2014    Post subject: Re: Couple of questions from a newbie. Reply with quote

Marcepan wrote:

So I have couple of questions about that matter:
I own Provisional Driving Licence (got it with idea of driving a car), can I ride a bike legally on it?
https://photosofcards.thesevenmediagroup.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/dlprov-back.jpg
I hope I can since one of the categories at the back indicates bikes.


You need to go and do a CBT, should cost around £100 and it allows you to ride up to a 125cc with L plates on for 2 years.

Quote:
I'm not planning to stick to the 125cc for too long, I would probably move to something stronger after 6-12 months. Is it good idea to get Chinese bike in this situation? My budget is not huge, maximum I could pay for the machine is £700-800.

What do you think about this for example?
https://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/lexmoto-vixen125-125cc-offers/1047524435


My current and previous bike's were both Chinese. Both 2007's neither rusted to pieces despite living outside, neither did they explode in to a mass of rice, fall apart, dissolve in the rain, Fail an MOT or breakdown constantly (only breakdowns were my fault). I even sold the previous one at a small profit.

The vixen you link is a perfectly decent starter bike, just be aware you have to look after Chinese bikes you can't neglect and abuse them if you want longevity, though as you plan on 6 months then something bigger you probably can abuse it. I'd offer the seller less though in cash.

Quote:
The last aspect I need help with is clothes, how much I have to spend (roughly) on the kit? I saw new helmets for £49, would like to get new gloves as well. Not really sure about rest of the stuff?


You can get a decent lid for around £30, legally that's all you need. Really though you'll want at least a jacket, gloves, trousers and boots so look at around £150-ish all in for cheap but ok gear. You can do things like use Kevlar jeans which double up fine as normal jeans so you can justify the spend a little more.

Quote:

And lastly, as you probably noticed I live in Aberdeen. How much of an issue will be frequent rainy weather? I'm thinking about riding in the rain as well as parking the bike at driveway (no access to garage unfortunately). How much does 'bike cover' cost?


My last bike lived between South Wales and Wiltshire, outdoors under a cover..... little secret..... if you clean it properly and regularly it won't rust much. A decent bike cover can be had for around £25.

Riding in the rain is a bit harder than the dry but you'll manage. Decent waterproofs are a must though.

CBT + Cheap 125 + Gear + Insurance...... you will be looking at around a grand. One thing to keep in mind is for maybe around 1500-1600 you could do Full licence + Gear + Insurance + Cheap big bike.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Nov 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:55 - 11 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever you do don't buy a second hand helmet. Thirty quid is seriously bargain basement! I'd look to double that. The best lid is the one that fits best. If possible go for one with a pinlock visor, pinlock is like double glazing, it stops the visor misting up.

Bike cover? Good idea, but no substitute for weekly cleaning and oiling. Bikes are higher maintenance than cars, beware.

Other kit, roughly sixty quid per item - boots, overtrousers, jacket, twenty to forty quid for golves.

Don't forget security, a decent chain and lock is expensive, but cheaper than dealing with a nicked bike. The wise money buys Almax, the rest keep a bus pass handy.
____________________
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa, hey-hey,
the men in white coats are coming to take me away.
Yamaha Vity -> YBR125 -> FZS600 Fazer -> FZ1-S Fazer
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:10 - 11 Feb 2014    Post subject: Re: Couple of questions from a newbie. Reply with quote

Too drunk, didn't read, except:

wr6133 wrote:
The vixen you link is a perfectly decent starter bike

Yup. If it's a good 'un, and you're prepared to maintain it, then they can be decent. There's a helpful owners' forum. Really easy to ride and maintain, buy cheap, don't spend on it, and you can't lose much.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:38 - 11 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

As said above. You need a CBT to be able to ride a bike legally on the roads.

What you have said is you plan to move onto a more powerful bike in 6-12 months. That would depend on how old you are. If you are under 19 then you are stuck on a 125cc bike even after you pass your test.

At 19 you can do your test on a bigger bike to gain an A2 licence which is for smaller powered bikes or some bigger bikes that can be restricted. Its a minefield of what can and cant be restricted. A 600cc bandit can be, an R6 cant be. A NC700 Honda doesnt need to be.... gets really confusing.

At 24 you can go straight in and do DAS on a full powered bike for an A licence.

But you cannot ride anything more than a 125cc without passing Theory test, mod 1 and mod 2.
____________________
illuminateTHEmind wrote: I am just more evolved than most of you guys... this allows me to pick of things quickly which would have normally taken the common man years to master
Hockeystorm65:.well there are childish arguments...there are very childish arguments.....there are really stupid childish arguments and now there are......Pinkfloyd arguments!
Teflon-Mike:I think I agree with just about all Pinky has said.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

-Matt-
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Apr 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:55 - 12 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome Thumbs Up

Would need to get a CBT sorted out but its quick n' easy.

Personally i'd go for a more used/relaible jap bike on that budget, especially if you're going to sell it in the next year or two - no amount of good care will hold the value of a chinese bike vs a good jap one I would expect.

In terms of gear, particulary being in Aberdeen as a new rider, i'd get some good textile gear [cheap stuff tends to leak]/leathers with a waterproof over-suit.
Quote:
Also, don't buy a cheap helmet. How much is your head worth to you? I'd say you can't put a price on it - look at Schumacher for example.
I'm not saying this isn't true - but personally I don't think theres much evidence more money = more safety in terms of helmets. Used helmets are definately to be avoided as its difficult/not possible to tell if they've been damaged in drops or accidents. Most helmets are made to survive one impact, a hard drop carried over concrete might be enough to make it little use in a crash, but then plenty are probably fine in all fairness.

You can get decent helmets for 50-70 quid, Nitro do some with internal visors, flips, or full faces depending on what you want. And a few other brands are available. Gear wise i'd get a decent jacket/trousers or 1-piece suit with armour and a back protector, particularly in wet and miserable weather as a new rider. A couple of 100 quid should cover it all new, or browse ebay reguarly and get some used gear-bargains Thumbs Up

Boots and gloves and gear wise the main priority is to get something thats armoued and waterproof rather than warm i'd say, then layer up in thermal clothes/gloves/socks when you need to.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Marcepan
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 11 Feb 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:35 - 27 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again guys, had a little break from idea of having first motorcycle but I'm back since I'm getting paid tomorrow!

Thanks for all your replies, plenty of useful knowledge for me. Also, I'm aware of CBT needing done, I've even found a place in Aberdeen for that. I should add I'm not afraid of dealing with potential mechanical issues (unless it's an engine replacement!) since my father is a mechanic and could always get his help.

For now I'm trying to find as many offers as possible, unfortunately not many fit in my budget. Just missed Suzuki En125 for £500-550 in good condition Sad

How much do you think bike like this one is worth? It looks very nice, but I'm not really ready to pay £1000 which is the price I think it will go to.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2005-KAWASAKI-BN-125-A8-SILVER-/161228545913?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item2589f85f79#viTabs_0
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 217 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 0.74 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 68.01 Kb