Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Leaning off the bike HELP!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Martynjoseph1
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 06 Apr 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:02 - 20 Feb 2014    Post subject: Leaning off the bike HELP! Reply with quote

Hey. Currently own a 600 bandit but have been wanting to start leaning off the bike to help improve my riding. Has anyone got any tips to help? many thanks
____________________
2006 GSXR 750 K6 (Currently being repaired Sad )
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:10 - 20 Feb 2014    Post subject: Re: Leaning off the bike HELP! Reply with quote

I'd describe it as 'hanging off'.

If you want to improve your road riding, I'd look to advanced riding skills - Motorcycle Roadcraft and then IAM or Rospa if you want a bit more intense training.

I DO hang off on the road, as it goes. It does offer some benefits, though relatively minimal to those you would get from 'advanced riding' techniques.

Look to get one arse cheek off the seat and your upper torso a bit further over - 'kiss the mirror' is often given as the position.
If you're looking to get your knee down, this will get your body in a good position to stick your knee out.
Note that getting your knee down is seperate to hanging off really and has different benefits.
Getting your knee down gives you an ideal of lean angle (and, also, it's fun an' that.)
Hanging off can allow your suspension to work better; it also gives you more ground clearance (useful on a bandit) and a few other minor bits.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

SteveZZR
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 13 Jul 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 05:59 - 21 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're confident with the bike and want to take your own ability further - track day.

I did an evening session for £40 at Cadwell last June and it was amazing. Would've gone a couple more times before the end of summer if I had fallen right with work / had more money. It brought my road riding on a lot, but obviously you have to remember the limit when you come back to the badly maintained poor surface we call B roads (and a lot of A roads for that matter)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Martynjoseph1
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 06 Apr 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:47 - 21 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I've been considering both track days and rider training and am looking to book something during the summer, just sort of wanted to know a little more about the basics of hanging off etc like position mainly. I've tried hanging off once before briefly but it felt odd but am looking to keep practising it. Thanks for the help Smile
____________________
2006 GSXR 750 K6 (Currently being repaired Sad )
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:36 - 21 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the whole body that needs to be positioned. As G says 'kissing the mirror'. Your inside shoulder needs to be forward and you need to push on the inside bar, bum half on the seat, knee out, foot weighting inside peg. Get into position before the corner but do it smoothly or it upsets the bike.
It works for me, do it all the time to some degree but if you are just tootling about and do it you will look a tit.

OGR
____________________
2022 Tiger Sport 660 2019 Street Twin 2003 K3 gixxer 1000 1998 Srad 600 track hack
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:54 - 21 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Git Racing wrote:

It works for me, do it all the time to some degree but if you are just tootling about and do it you will look a tit.

Because I used to do the arse-out hanging off I started doing this EVERYWHERE - including 10mph in the work car park.

Worked well - problem was without it, when I was most focused on going fast in a track day/race weekend, I ended up reverting to arse-out as it was another thing to think about.
So I made it second nature to be in that position when I DID have the time to think about it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

J biker
Nova Slayer



Joined: 31 Oct 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:36 - 21 Feb 2014    Post subject: Re: Leaning off the bike HELP! Reply with quote

Martynjoseph1 wrote:
Hey. Currently own a 600 bandit but have been wanting to start leaning off the bike to help improve my riding. Has anyone got any tips to help? many thanks


Training will improve riding ten times more than leaning off. Just saying. Followed plenty knee down merchants that ultimately were no quicker.
Observation, planning ahead and the right line through a corner will get you to pegs down before knee down.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MattJ
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Nov 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:47 - 21 Feb 2014    Post subject: Re: Leaning off the bike HELP! Reply with quote

J biker wrote:
Observation, planning ahead and the right line through a corner will get you to pegs down before knee down.


Getting the pegs down is not something that I particularly want to do on the road so if I'm going fairly quick I tend to do what G has said and just hang off a little bit to keep the bike more upright. I agree that forward planning is far better to go quickly than simply coming up to a corner without thinking about it and then hanging off, but when you start going fairly quick around bends, staying in the middle of the seat isn't really a good idea, it leans the bike over more and gives a smaller contact patch, a combination of both forward planning and hanging off a bit is the best I would say. I definitely would not want to get my pegs down before knee down, that's just poor cornering and more dangerous.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:52 - 21 Feb 2014    Post subject: Re: Leaning off the bike HELP! Reply with quote

J biker wrote:

Observation, planning ahead and the right line through a corner will get you to pegs down before knee down.

Well yes, that'd be one reason why you want to hang off, to prevents lets flexible bits of your bike from sticking in the ground; especially with a bike like a Bandit which doesn't have that great ground clearance. Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

J biker
Nova Slayer



Joined: 31 Oct 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:15 - 21 Feb 2014    Post subject: Re: Leaning off the bike HELP! Reply with quote

MattJ wrote:
J biker wrote:
Observation, planning ahead and the right line through a corner will get you to pegs down before knee down.


Getting the pegs down is not something that I particularly want to do on the road so if I'm going fairly quick I tend to do what G has said and just hang off a little bit to keep the bike more upright. I agree that forward planning is far better to go quickly than simply coming up to a corner without thinking about it and then hanging off, but when you start going fairly quick around bends, staying in the middle of the seat isn't really a good idea, it leans the bike over more and gives a smaller contact patch, a combination of both forward planning and hanging off a bit is the best I would say. I definitely would not want to get my pegs down before knee down, that's just poor cornering and more dangerous.


looking at the previous bikes of the poster I'm jumping to the assumption that pegs down is a way to go yet. My assumption.
Once pegs touch down for the 1st time then hanging off (is this what they mean, or just moving body weight to the inside a bit?) 'may' be worthwhile.
TBH I'm just getting to the edge of the tyre (just) when pegs might touch down, depends a bit on the bike and suspension set up. Never even got pegs down on R1 or GSXR, but had no bother on FZ1s or VFR.. Contact patch on the road should be no worse until well after this point.
I cant agree that leaning over and using the tyre is more dangerous than hanging off for road riding.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

J biker
Nova Slayer



Joined: 31 Oct 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:16 - 21 Feb 2014    Post subject: Re: Leaning off the bike HELP! Reply with quote

G wrote:
J biker wrote:

Observation, planning ahead and the right line through a corner will get you to pegs down before knee down.

Well yes, that'd be one reason why you want to hang off, to prevents lets flexible bits of your bike from sticking in the ground; especially with a bike like a Bandit which doesn't have that great ground clearance. Smile

He needs rear sets and a rear suspension spacer then Wink Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:36 - 21 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

J biker, where did you do your training?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MattJ
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Nov 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:38 - 21 Feb 2014    Post subject: Re: Leaning off the bike HELP! Reply with quote

J biker wrote:

I cant agree that leaning over and using the tyre is more dangerous than hanging off for road riding.


If you are getting to the edge of the tyre then the contact patch is going to reduce when there is no more tyre left. Surely you can see how making the pegs scrape isn't ideal, if they are on a hinge then then it won't be too bad, but it will still unsettle the bike a bit which I certainly do not want if I am travelling around a corner fairly quickly. Hanging off a little (just 1 arse cheek) will sit the bike more upright and prevent that from happening.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:49 - 21 Feb 2014    Post subject: Re: Leaning off the bike HELP! Reply with quote

J biker wrote:

looking at the previous bikes of the poster I'm jumping to the assumption that pegs down is a way to go yet. My assumption.
Once pegs touch down for the 1st time then hanging off (is this what they mean, or just moving body weight to the inside a bit?) 'may' be worthwhile.

Why would you not learn to avoid it in the first place.

Imagine you had a hypothetical bike that could lean to 89 degrees. If you went over a bump, the suspension would have a negligible affect because it's acting in a completely different plane to the bump. Now imagine you had a bike which you could corner by hanging off so far with the bike upright. The bike's suspension would would ideally as it would be in exactly the right plane.
There are other benefits; on bikes with wide tyres especially, I believe it helps as far as the way the centripetal force acts through the centre of the tyre.
It also tends to add a bit of extra 'suspension' to the mix too.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

J biker
Nova Slayer



Joined: 31 Oct 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:20 - 21 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
J biker, where did you do your training?


Over 150 thousand miles on 16 different bikes. Rode with ex racers, a couple of advanced riders and a Police trained rider. So apart from Part one and part two training years ago (125cc) I have watched, learned, asked and been taught by experienced riders.

I have not taken any further certificated training. What about you?


Now lean off all you want, I used to. I'm just questioning the need to lean off and what the original poster is wanting, this what I picked up on 'improving his riding'
I was making the point that hanging off is not required. Not that it must not be done.
Ever followed a Police motorcyclist on a big heavy Pan European or FJ1300 on a fast road? Probably find they were faster than most road riders without hanging off. Hence my point, that some training may go further than hanging off the bike for improved riding.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:29 - 21 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

J biker wrote:

I was making the point that hanging off is not required.

Nor are a lot of other things. That doesn't mean they aren't beneficial.
The police/advanced rider's arguments against hanging off that I've seen aren't logical.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:31 - 21 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taught by experienced riders but not taught anything about how getting your pegs down is a bad idea?

I have skills cos I passed my test without any training.

If hanging off isn't beneficial to the bikes handling, why do racers hang off?

Hanging off isn't required but having the bike leant over less and so having a larger amount of tyre in contact with the road is a good thing.

Going back a couple of posts....

"TBH I'm just getting to the edge of the tyre (just) when pegs might touch down, depends a bit on the bike and suspension set up. Never even got pegs down on R1 or GSXR, but had no bother on FZ1s or VFR.. Contact patch on the road should be no worse until well after this point. "

That is so wrong that it means those who've taught might have lots of experience but they're not advanced riders.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

J biker
Nova Slayer



Joined: 31 Oct 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:02 - 21 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Ste"]Taught by experienced riders but not taught anything about how getting your pegs down is a bad idea?

I have skills cos I passed my test without any training.

If hanging off isn't beneficial to the bikes handling, why do racers

So your so good you passed without training? So you already knew it all..

Racers hang off for several reasons, feel, saving low sides, getting round corners faster on the edge of their tyres.

It's a bit extreme for road ring though, do you ride like that? If that's what your saying I am impressed.

Now not once have I said pegs down each time I go out, maybe once or twice each year. Mine do fold back btw. This can happen due to a slight rise on a corner or the suspension loading. My tyres have no chicken strips, but are not track day fried at the edges either. In your experience, what am I doing wrong? Do I need to hang off the bike a bit more?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Monkeyjoe
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 28 Nov 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:09 - 21 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm new to biking, and still learning, but aren't we talking countersteering here? I learned about that from my instructor, youtube, and "Pass the Bike Test" book... the thought was scary, but I tried it, (only very gradually) and it seemed to work ok.... Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:18 - 21 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not undulation in the road I would worry about pegs-down, it's holes and the like. The end of a peg is much more likely to dig in than a knee on a slider. Think there was a case of someone being killed when this happened.
Monkeyjoe wrote:
I'm new to biking, and still learning, but aren't we talking countersteering here?

No; we are talking hanging off the bike like you will see in motogp etc.
If you don't do it with your knees and keep yourself loose on the bars (which probably should have been mentioned), then it can actually cause you to turn the bars a little and thus countersteer.
However, the two should be different.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Monkeyjoe
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 28 Nov 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:23 - 21 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
It's not undulation in the road I would worry about pegs-down, it's holes and the like. The end of a peg is much more likely to dig in than a knee on a slider. Think there was a case of someone being killed when this happened.
Monkeyjoe wrote:
I'm new to biking, and still learning, but aren't we talking countersteering here?

No; we are talking hanging off the bike like you will see in motogp etc.
If you don't do it with your knees and keep yourself loose on the bars (which probably should have been mentioned), then it can actually cause you to turn the bars a little and thus countersteer.
However, the two should be different.


Ah right.... long long time (like never) before you see me do that! Very Happy although I love watching the Pro's do it....
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:42 - 21 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hanging off it's self is actually very simple - but not a distraction I would be worrying about right now.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling TerrorOutOfOffice
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:48 - 21 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hanging off if only an inch or two helps on those greasy roundabouts, and just like the 'pros' you get into position before the maneuver.
____________________
Diabolical homemade music Bandcamp and Soundcloud
Singer songwriter, Artist and allround good bloke Listen to Andrew Susan Johnston here
The Harry Turner Project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Martynjoseph1
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 06 Apr 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:04 - 22 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies everyone. Will take on board what everyone has said and keep it in mind when I practise Smile thanks
____________________
2006 GSXR 750 K6 (Currently being repaired Sad )
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 220 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.14 Sec - Server Load: 0.76 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 135.78 Kb