Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Energy supplier charging for units already paid for

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Pigeon
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Sep 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:39 - 03 Mar 2014    Post subject: Energy supplier charging for units already paid for Reply with quote

Dear Auntie BCF,

Am I being unreasonable and stupid?

BTW you are looking particularly hot this evening!

Old supplier of Gas + Electric put prices up 8%, but also jacked up a daily charge on the sly causing prices to actually rise 12% in real terms.
The old supplier offered an "opportunity" to fix the wonderfully low 8%. This annoyed me, as many folk will think its a good deal, only to find at the next quarters bill that the daily charge means its a lot more expensive than they perhaps had realised. But now they have to pay a penalty to get out the contract.

I did a price comparison and "New" supplier was 20% cheaper, so I switched.

Old supplier advised in December that service would end on Jan 1st and for me to tell new supplier what my final reading was on the 1st.

I gave the meter readings (gas + elec) to new supplier AND as a double measure to the old.

Old sent me final bill some days later which I paid.

8 weeks pass and I finally get the online account for new supplier. Login to find the new supplier has incorrect meter readings as a start point and surprise surprise, they are not in my favour. ie the readings are lower, and therefore equate to gas + elec I actually received from old supplier and have already paid for.

I contacted new supplier and told them they have the wrong readings, they are charging me for services they did not provide. I asked them to correct the readings to those I gave them on the day.

Their response:

> When a new energy supplier takes over it is their responsibility to
> determine the opening/closing meter readings and pass these to the
> previous supplier. There was an issue when processing your opening
> readings which meant they were then estimated and the readings xxxxxx
> and xxxx were passed to your previous supplier.
>
> It is an industry requirement for the previous and current supplier to
> bill on the same opening and closing readings therefore the old supplier
> need to amend these readings and issue you with a new final statement.
> As advised the difference between the current readings and the
> readings you provided are within the industry tolerance level of
> 250 units therefore we cannot raise a dispute to have these amended.


So let me get this straight. The new supplier was trying to skim money from the old supplier by providing a lower reading to the old supplier than the one I gave the new supplier. And even though they are billing me for services they did not provide, and I've already paid for, there is nothing they can do because they are "within industry tolerance"

The old supplier would have had no clue the new one was pulling a fast one, except for the fact I provided the closing readings to both companies on the same day.

Now I realise by trying to be clever and giving the same readings to both companies, I've messed with the system. And rather than avoid a cockup, I've ended up with one because of it.

But I gave the correct readings to the new company, the fact they gave shoddy ones to the old company should surely not mean I pay for the usage twice? Isn't there something legal about charging people for goods/services you did not provide?

There have been at least 4 email exchanges where I repeat the same points about them having used the wrong readings. And they keep telling me its within tolerance.

In cash terms, it's about £25, so we're not talking £000's like the horror stories on Watchdog. But I hate being screwed so openly.

Presumably it's a complaint to Ofgem?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:13 - 03 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

There are systems in place for dealing with disputed meter readings on change of supply for gas and electric. These should be raised and a compromise reached between the suppliers.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pigeon
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Sep 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:23 - 03 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Keith. On 3 separate occasions the new supplier has told me there is nothing they can do as its within industry tolerance.

I don't care what the industry tolerates, charging someone for goods/services they did not provide is theft.

I didn't fill my bike with Shell petrol last week, to find this week a bill has come through from BP claiming I owe them money.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:27 - 03 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I honestly do not know about any tolerance they assume, but spent rather a lot of time about a decade ago writing and supporting the disputed readings system for one of the major suppliers. Loads of readings were disputed every day on change of supplier.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Disapproving Brit
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:36 - 06 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that the magic word is "Ofgem", and it should be chanted casually rather than threateningly. I.e.

"OK, I understand. Is that as far as I can escalate through your internal complaints procedure, or is there another process I have to follow before I raise this with Ofgem?"
____________________
Current Bikes: 1983 Honda VF400FD / 2003 Honda VT750 Shadow
Bike Test Passed 18/03/09, Car Test Passed 14/05/13
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pigeon
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Sep 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:29 - 06 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Ofgem it is, or at least the mention of it. I've been softly, softly so far but been crystal clear with it. Even though I'd just like to release a torrent of abuse and cave their heads in with a bat.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:38 - 07 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going through something similar, yet different, which is just as frustrating and this thread has lead me to raise this very question with my suppliers too. I'll probably write it up when I can be arsed.

Good luck.

I've currently complained to the complaints people and the executive complaints people, if I don't get a good response ... OFGEMMMMMMM
____________________
I'm Sam; Northern, Ginger, Lover
Did have: '95 ZZR600 '83 CG125 '97 ZZR1100 '15 Hypermotard 821 SP Do Have: '10 ZX10R
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Disapproving Brit
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:37 - 13 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found that the very mention of Ofgem seems to put them on edge, and you magically reach somebody who can help. Hence why sounding casual and professional is key. "Screw you, I'm going to sue and drag you through Ofgem" sounds like an empty rant. A polite "Are there any more internal escalations I need to go through before I approach Ofgem?" makes it clear that you know the process and are happy to follow it.
____________________
Current Bikes: 1983 Honda VF400FD / 2003 Honda VT750 Shadow
Bike Test Passed 18/03/09, Car Test Passed 14/05/13
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Nick__C
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:47 - 20 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of interest who was your old supplier and new?

What needs to be raised is an "Agreed Read Dispute" (ARD) where the suppliers sort it out between themselves. You've done the right thing and given reads to your new supplier and also the old to cover your back, you haven't caused the problem by doing this so don't think it's your fault.

Slightly disconcerting though that it's your new supplier trying to rip you off already.. As you say its £25 and not an amount that breaks the bank, however that £25 is better in your pocket and you shouldn't be billed for usage twice Thumbs Up

(just started an an energy company) *boo* *hiss*
____________________
'02 GS 500.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pigeon
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Sep 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:05 - 21 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the new supplier is still not admitting any fault, but have offered as a gesture of goodwill to credit my account with £10.

While this is still lower than the overcharge (and doesn't inspire confidence that they can waste so much time / effort haggling over their own mistake) I'm giving up and accepting.

I should be looking to switch again really, as the writing is on the wall for future issues.

The old supplier was British Gas. Who were always quick to answer the phone and I always got a positive response from any communication. However they were more expensive. Maybe that judgement will prove to be a bad call.

I won't yet say who the new supplier is, purely on the basis I'm still using their services.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 193 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 1.33 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 70.03 Kb