Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


r1 gearbox dead?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Sparkss
Nova Slayer



Joined: 20 Jun 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:09 - 17 Mar 2014    Post subject: r1 gearbox dead? Reply with quote

Not even done 100 miles on it Rolling Eyes its a 99 model

I started noticing huge clunks from 1st to 2nd, sometimes it would go into N instead, got on with it.. then (not sure what gear change I was doing) it got stuck into N. Wouldnt go into 1st or second, stopped off in a carpark, I can get it into 1st if I spend ten mins kicking down and eventually it goes.. I tried 2nd and it stayed in N.

so in the end I drove it in first gear all the way home, when I got near home I managed to get it into 2nd clutchless, tried for 3rd and it didnt engage, No N light but it was as if it was in N. another 10mins of trying to kick it back down to 2nd then I rode it home in that gear.

Been trying it cold, no luck, it also goes back into N when I roll off the throttle.

expensive? Not contacted the seller yet, where do I stand on this?
____________________
R1


Last edited by Sparkss on 22:13 - 17 Mar 2014; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

covent.gardens
World Clap Champion



Joined: 09 Jun 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:12 - 17 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you bought it private then it depends on the wording of the ad but it's generally your problem. If trader, take it back.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparkss
Nova Slayer



Joined: 20 Jun 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:15 - 17 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Private, there wasnt much in the advert itself but he promised me it was all good when I asked about the gearbox... could have been fine at the time but too much of a coincidence right?
____________________
R1
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:17 - 17 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

100 miles of no-problem riding suggests the seller knew nothing about your pending problems.

Cost of repair depends on your mechanical acumen. If you're paying someone to do it all then yeah it's gonna cost a good wedge.
____________________
a.k.a 'Geri'

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparkss
Nova Slayer



Joined: 20 Jun 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:31 - 17 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't feel confident doing a rebuild, from what I've said does it sound like its completely totaled? googled it and some guy got away with replacing a spring (1hour) and another bending a fork back, other problems include the clutch which I assume would be cheaper.

whats the cost for a gearbox rebuild from a garage?
____________________
R1
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:51 - 17 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparkss wrote:
I don't feel confident doing a rebuild, from what I've said does it sound like its completely totaled? googled it and some guy got away with replacing a spring (1hour) and another bending a fork back, other problems include the clutch which I assume would be cheaper.

whats the cost for a gearbox rebuild from a garage?


£400 minimum I would have thought. Most of that time is stripping it down and putting it back together. This is the reason why I never touch early R1 or R6's
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

lihp
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:12 - 17 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who in their right mind would go through the hassle of stripping and rebuilding it, to just bend a fork back.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:20 - 17 Mar 2014    Post subject: Re: r1 gearbox dead? Reply with quote

Try cleaning the linkages, on the off chance.

Slipping back in to a neutral sounds less likely to be that, but possible if it hasn't engaged fully.

I had similar on a ZX6R and it turned out just to need the linkages cleaning out after getting gummed up from winter riding. In my case it was when I hadn't ridden it for a bit then was going to sell it, I think.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:54 - 17 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be a busted detent pawl spring, but it's more likely to be a fork I think.

Only one way to find out..
____________________
a.k.a 'Geri'

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Conzar
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jun 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:13 - 18 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a 15 hour job I'd say all in all hold on to your wallet
____________________
Current ride: ZX6R 636 ------- Previous:KTM EXC 450 Supermoto --- ZX6R B1H --Hornet 600--CBR 600--SV650
11:05:35 Rob Fzs: i just wanna own an rd350 valve before they send us to war with durkadurkastan
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:29 - 18 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gearbox or engine/box swap rather than rebuild?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

m3-paul
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 03 Feb 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:00 - 18 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anything about R1s so ignore my ignorance as I am comparing to my 97 fireblade Embarassed

I ruined fourth gear on my blade two months after getting it last year. My bike is absolutely mint so I was surprised to see it let go just like you.

I got the gear clusters replaced with a good set I bought from eBay.

I had never dropped a four stroke bike engine (done a few 2Ts).

I dropped the engine in three hours. Apart from the obvious weight it is actually an easy job.

If you can drop the engine yourself which, if you have a paddock stand and a trolley jack plus a set of reasonable sockets etc is a straightforward one person job then get that lump out and take it to a bike shop and just get them to split the cases. Get yourself the gearbox guts off eBay or a breaker and within a week you can have it running again.

Getting the engine back in is a little easier with two so you can align it in the frame but again, is doable with care. I did all mine on my own and was out, repaired and back in within a day - with no prior 4T engine removal experience.
____________________
Yamaha TZR250 - love the smell of TTS!!!!
CBR900RR Fireblade - so much fun
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Aug 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:06 - 18 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I have read on the www.yamahar.co.uk forum it is a common occurance for the selector spring to go.Costs about £5 for the spring itself then about 30 minutes to replace it.It has not gone on my 5JJ R1 but it is fairly common on the earlier 4XV

Part 11 on the fiche.It may well be an idea to have part 25 to hand as well.

https://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-yzfr1l-1999_model10777/partslist/C-05.html#results
____________________
Just talk bikes.What else is there?

Always have a 'Plan B'
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:28 - 18 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would know if that centering spring was broke because the pedal would have no spring in it. The other thing to check is no25, thats the pawl spring that holds the shift drum in the right place.
____________________
a.k.a 'Geri'

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparkss
Nova Slayer



Joined: 20 Jun 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:16 - 19 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the posts, I've had a couple of people tell me its not a hard job so I might just go for it, worst case scenario; give up, chuck the engine in the boot and get it down to the shop, linkages seem ok unfortunately Sad

I'm pretty sure the gearbox is built into the engine? Laughing this is supposed to be a 23k engine and after having the gearbox go on me and so many people telling me they always go on R1s I would prefer the piece of mind that I've got a decent gearbox instead of getting a new engine and worrying about it, worth a punt if I could get one as cheap as 200, not likely though.

I hope its a spring, took it out a minute ago, all runs fine until 3rd gear which acts like N, then it's a pain in the balls getting it into 2nd, as you attempt this you can hear grinding. sounds like something is broken...

it's really strange though, I was having trouble with 1st and 2nd and now its 3rd only Confused
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:52 - 19 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll be chewing up stuff that isn't damaged. I shouldn't ride it any more if I were you.
____________________
a.k.a 'Geri'

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Aug 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:35 - 19 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order to remove the engine you would need to disconnect where the gearchange mechanism attaches to the engine.Under that small cover are the springs that have been mentioned.Mark where the follower arm locates on the splines so that you can bolt it back together correctly afterwards (just under the yellow zipty in the pic)

https://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w384/Rhencullen5/Picture011.jpg

Should take no longer than 10 minutes to have a looksee.

The gearbox is quite easy to get to once the bottom crankcase is removed.But quite a few other parts need to be removed before you can get to this stage

https://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w384/Rhencullen5/Picture046-1.jpg
____________________
Just talk bikes.What else is there?

Always have a 'Plan B'
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

woo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:35 - 19 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

if your in london or near london id recommend you contact https://www.mhmotorcycles.co.uk/ they have always done right by me and i dont think it should be too expensive as in £350+

they could also collect your bike for you and return it to you
____________________
Elen sila lummen omentielvo!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Speedfreak13 This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Sparkss
Nova Slayer



Joined: 20 Jun 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:08 - 31 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was the spring.

the gearbox is still a bit noisy but its 15 years old. 120 happy miles so far, I'm glad to be back on it but i'm going away for 9 weeks soon Thumbs Down
____________________
R1
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 186 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.69 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 108.88 Kb