 Maaku L Plate Warrior
Joined: 26 Oct 2004 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 18:31 - 04 Jan 2005 Post subject: Flat footing... |
 |
|
Hi All,
I'm just in the process of going through riding school here in Japan. I'm planning on getting a CBR250RR or 400RR, which has an ultra-low seat and should be easy for me to ride. I was a little concerned about this because I'm quite short (160cm/5'3"), but it shouldn't be an issue on either of these bikes.
I've been looking at a lot of forums because I want to get a bigger bike in the future, but this will certainly mean a higher seat. I'm planning to ride a small bike for about a year until I get more used to it and the roads here in Japan. A lot of people, especially those of you who are vertically blessed, seem to place a lot of emphasis on flat footing a bike. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience...
- moving from flat footing to not doing so and what happened?
- or any short riders who used a link, shaved their seat or whatever?
- or anyone else who has any useful advice on how to deal with not flat footing?
The bike I've been learning on, provided by the school, is a Kawasaki ZRXII (400cc). This is only 4cm shorter than most of the bigger bikes at a glance. Basically, I can go on the balls of my feet no problem and plant me left foot with the right on the back brake quite comfortably. This bike is pretty heavy and weighs in at 186kg dry, but the one I'm practising on is actually at least 5kg heavier due to all the lights and crash bars on it to protect it from noobs like me. Other than the possibility of holes in the road, a tilted road or some other unlevelness, how important is flat footing? The only time I can figure it makes much difference is when I have to go backwards, which isn't impossible at present, but extremely slow.
Any advice you might have would be appreciated. Thanks. |
|
 Bendy Mrs Sensible

Joined: 10 Jun 2002 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 18:53 - 04 Jan 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
I can't flat foot both feet at once and it's really not an issue.
It comes down to confidence in the end, and using your head to avoid situations you'd need your feet/legs to get out of. I probably pay more attention to the conditions I'm about to stop in than someone tall and strong does, but in 5 years of riding I've never dropped a bike cos of height problems (always other ones ).
You can certainly modify your seat, get boots with thicker soles, things like that, but in my personal experience most of the uncomfortable feeling you'll have with a bike that's 'too big' will go when you've had the time to get used to it. I'll ride someone else's bike and be uncomfortable while I'm happy on mine - just cos I know where the weight is on mine (if that makes sense).
Consider that sportsbikes are getting smaller and lighter all the time - this is a good thing.
Good luck and remember that it's nearly all in your head.  |
|
 MarJay But it's British!

Joined: 15 Sep 2003 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 19:03 - 04 Jan 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
I'm only small (Five feet five or 1.65 metres) and I ride a Triumph Daytona 955i. Not a short or light bike by any means, but I can ride it OK without flat footing.
I just keep my right foot on the peg and put my left toe down.
Its all about confidence.  ____________________ British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another. |
|
 ian_s Nova Slayer
Joined: 20 Jul 2004 Karma :     
|
|
 Maaku L Plate Warrior
Joined: 26 Oct 2004 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 02:53 - 05 Jan 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Thanks for the advice everybody. Since I've been learning on a bike that's a little high and have no other experience, it feels normal for me to only have one foot on the ground. I also like keeping my foot on the back brake to keep it lit in case cars are coming from behind. I have no problem balancing the bike in neutral with the balls of my feet with my hands relaxed on the tank so I think I'm pretty comfortable with this already. Just from reading here and there it seemed like a lot of people don't think it's a good idea. I'll just have to roll around town and out of it on a smaller bike for a while to see what I can expect to encounter. Thanks for the quick replies.  |
|