Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Mod 1 done; what's next? UPDATE - Passed!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

BrownTrousers
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:13 - 19 Mar 2014    Post subject: Mod 1 done; what's next? UPDATE - Passed! Reply with quote

Mod 2, obviously. And i'm all booked for next week, but feeling under prepared.

10 days ago I had never ridden a 'big' bike. And I dropped it in the first 5 minutes of my first lesson on a slow maneuver (xj6 weighs more than a ybr125 - who would have guessed).

Anyway I've gone from there to passing my Mod 1 today (yey!) But I'm feeling under prepared for Mod2 as my 8 hours of lessons so far have been pretty much dedicated to practicing & passing Mod 1.

So can the mighty BCF enlighten me in terms of what to expect, common errors, top tips etc.

Pass rate of the mod1's I saw today was horrendous- is mod 2 trickier or more straight forward?

Last edited by BrownTrousers on 13:52 - 25 Mar 2014; edited 1 time in total

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:17 - 19 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod 2 is much easier than 1 as long as you have some road sense (your instructor will drill any missing sense in to you by the time of the test).

janner_10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:23 - 19 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have the farcical and potentially harder test out of the way. Mod 2 is just a ride through town with a Sat Nat in your ear.

Just relax and take it easy. Get up to speed limits quickly, don't mess about dithering because its a test.

REMEMBER: Street lights = 30 mph. No street lights = NSL (Unless otherwise signed)

Be prepared, you will invariable get taken through a 20 limit to see your keeping your eye open.

Ride for you and you only - for instance don't worry about waiting for a gap in traffic big enough for 2 bikes, the examiner will catch up if you get separated.

The questions he asks you before the test are common sense, don't lose sleep.

Wear the right gear - don't get knocked back for not being suitably dressed. If you need glasses, wear them. Some idiot on here posted about trying to get away without a few months ago for his test.

Don't filter, time wasted in traffic is time you are not being faulted for something, same goes for riding around speed bumps, just slow down and go over.

Remember the nodding dog mirror checks and lifesavers and CANCEL YOUR INDICATORS!!

Best of luck Thumbs Up

ficedula
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:06 - 19 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

janner_10 wrote:

Be prepared, you will invariable get taken through a 20 limit to see your keeping your eye open.

This, or whatever other features the examiner can find to include in the local test routes. One way systems feature in my local town centre, and not noticing that is a fairly obvious fail! Laughing

Not a problem if you're taking the test in an area you're familiar with, but if you're travelling to a different location, make sure your instructor has pointed out anything like that out to you.

thepuma
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:17 - 19 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod 2
MC This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

thewhyoffry
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:56 - 20 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup as mentioned by others mod 1 is the tricky part! As long as you can control a big bike around cones and figures of 8 normal road riding is a piece of piss. (As long as your normal road riding on a 125 is decent!)

I was massively stressed for mod 1 but then after passing that thought mod 2 is just a nice ride around town (the examiner took me on a completely different route to the ones we had practiced.)

In all honesty I failed to notice I had entered a national speed limit zone and the examiner had to tell me. I don't think I have ever got from 30-60 so fast in my life but as I did he only gave me the 1 minor for that. From what I gather if you are woeful the whole way they give a lot less grace. If you have a decent ride they might let slip a few things which might otherwise have been faults.

Oh and yeah, if there is a gap for you take it. (as long as it is safe for YOU to go.) A good 40% of my ride the examiner was 3/4 cars behind me which relaxed me loads.

Good luck!

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:25 - 20 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember the two second rule (increase to three and say it slowly in a thick slow-witted west country accent) lots fail for driving too close.

Exaggerate the life savers, examiner needs to see that you're doing them.

Cancel indicators, always do a double-tap on the cancel button.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:28 - 20 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

ficedula wrote:
janner_10 wrote:

This, or whatever other features the examiner can find to include in the local test routes. One way systems feature in my local town centre, and not noticing that is a fairly obvious fail! Laughing

Unmarked junctions in Glasgow. Very Happy

Oh, in the independent riding, where the "sat nav" goes off for ten minutes and you're told to follow road signs towards Wookey Hole or similar , it doesn't matter where you go. Just go there safely and confidently, i.e. if you find yourself in the wrong lane at a junction or roundabout, commit to it.

Careful into situations, sharpish out, you'll be done and passed before you know it.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:31 - 20 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
it doesn't matter where you go

Though just riding round and round a roundabout for ten minutes may be frowned upon Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Arfa__
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:11 - 20 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, do every lifesaver. Especially when pulling out of the test centre!
Yep, spam that cancel indicator button. Some test centres wire up an audible beeper to the indicators which can be dead handy.
Yep, stick to limits. Obviously don't exceed, but do ride at 40 in a 60mph zone (unless weather/conditions dictate you should).
Yep, watch your position on one way streets, especially at junctions turning right.
Yep, similarly watch you position on 2-way streets that are unmarked and again at junctions.

And remember, they can't fail you for going the wrong way! So if you fook up your lanes/positions, go with the flow and go the way that is correct for your lane/position. But be wary of Motorways, especially at roundabouts that straddle them, you better not indicate and sit in a lane that'll take you onto the motorway!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:00 - 20 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, ooh, another: do make use bus lanes if it's appropriate to do so and the signs allow it.

Last edited by Rogerborg on 16:13 - 20 Mar 2014; edited 1 time in total

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:03 - 20 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

MC wrote:
janner_10 wrote:
If you need glasses, wear them. Some idiot on here posted about trying to get away without a few months ago for his test.

Was that idiot me? Cos I did get by without Thumbs Up

If you need glasses, why on earth would you not want to wear them? Confused

BG5067
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:56 - 20 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also say don't be afraid to filter.

I did this on my MOD 2 as the mitcham road can get stuck with traffic.

Theory passed 17/01/2014. Mod 1 Passed 03/02/2014 (0 faults) Mod 2 10/02/2014 Passed (0 faults)

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:40 - 20 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeypony wrote:

If you need glasses, why on earth would you not want to wear them? Confused

Spice things up a bit innit.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125
MC This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

janner_10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:39 - 20 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

BG5067 wrote:

DO NOT do this - sit in traffic. Its not a race. Time spend stationary in a queue is time not making mistakes.

BG5067
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:57 - 20 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

janner_10 wrote:
BG5067 wrote:

DO NOT do this - sit in traffic. Its not a race. Time spend stationary in a queue is time not making mistakes.

and time spent in traffic means you can't be examined for your MOD 2

The point im getting at if you're sitting in traffic for 30 mins then you're not going to get anything done.

I filtered on my MOD 2, was told this is a good idea. (got 0 faults on MOD 2 as well)

Theory passed 17/01/2014. Mod 1 Passed 03/02/2014 (0 faults) Mod 2 10/02/2014 Passed (0 faults)

SQL
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:10 - 20 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need to satisfy any criteria for mod 2 I think, its not like you need to do x,y,x before you will pass, it time wasted in traffic is less time to fuck it up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

BG5067
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:18 - 20 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

SQL wrote:
You don't need to satisfy any criteria for mod 2 I think, its not like you need to do x,y,x before you will pass, it time wasted in traffic is less time to fuck it up.

True.

I guess it's what I've been taught. if you spend all the time in traffic (croydon has a lot of it lol) then the examiner won't be able to see what you can do, like observations and pulling into the curb and road positioning.

I'm not saying filter through like a bullet, just if there's a massive queue and you're not going anywhere then there's no harm in going round traffic at a sensible speed

ficedula
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:43 - 20 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

BG5067 wrote:

True.

I guess it's what I've been taught. if you spend all the time in traffic (croydon has a lot of it lol) then the examiner won't be able to see what you can do, like observations and pulling into the curb and road positioning.

I'm not saying filter through like a bullet, just if there's a massive queue and you're not going anywhere then there's no harm in going round traffic at a sensible speed

Eh, you're not wrong, but I'd still be erring on the side of caution and not filtering on a test. Why buy even potential problems?

Not really an option on my mod2 since the examiner was in a car - if I'd filtered away, he'd be asking me to pull over and wait for him to catch up within 10 seconds Wink

janner_10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:24 - 21 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

MC wrote:

My eyesights borderline, I didn't want to have glasses as a condition of my license.

There is no such thing for short, long or color blindness.

They say:

You must tell DVLA if you’ve got any problem with your eyesight that affects both of your eyes, or the remaining eye if you only have one eye.

This doesn't include being short or long sighted or colour blind. You also don’t need to say if you’ve had surgery to correct short sightedness and can meet the eyesight standards.

https://www.gov.uk/driving-eyesight-rules

SQL
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:51 - 21 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

BG5067 wrote:
SQL wrote:

True.

Can you ride a bike? surely you want to pass with a less effort as possible as you don't stop learning, if it was a lesson then yes you should filter etc as you are paying for the lesson you want to ride, if you can pass without riding then its a win win, you have the bit of paper that qualifys you as a rider and you done not much to get it.

**Unrelated I also live in/near Croydon who are you doing it with?

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:28 - 21 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

MC wrote:
My eyesights borderline, I didn't want to have glasses as a condition of my license.

U wot m8? - No such thing!

Edit: What Janner already pointed out

If you see better with glasses, for God's sake wear the bloody things. Good vision is quite useful when using the roads!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:17 - 21 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

SQL wrote:

That.

Absent a very few examples of tests being incomplete (and the candidate offered a free rebooking), you can only fail mod 2, and you can only fail it on something that you do.

You might pick up a minor or two for failing to make progress, but you're not going to get failed on it unless the examiner doesn't like your face / attitude / gender or needs to hit their quota[*].

Filtering is risky. There are so many opportunities for nobbing it up. Unless you're very confident about it, I'd give it a miss. The exception might if you can use it to lose the examiner, particularly if they're in a car. Again, they can't fail you while they can't see you.

[*] Yes, yes, there are no quotas. Except there are, because examiners who pass or fail too many candidates get examined themselves.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 39 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2