Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Golf R32

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

jjdugen
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Jun 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:24 - 19 Mar 2014    Post subject: Golf R32 Reply with quote

Hi all.

Car question I know, but you lot seem to have owned everything out there, thought I'd get your opinions.

Looking to move up from the Clio 172, cracking car, must admit, bought on your recommendations as a 'Ring tool, does the job well.
So, my eyes lit on the Golf R32 as being a worthy replacement, until I started reading about the dual mass flywheel disintegrating and costing mucho monies. Ticks all the other boxes, just don't want to let myself in for grief from a dodgy clutch system.

Cheers
____________________
The CBR900RR has been sold. Aprilia Falco worms its way into my heart.
Try Soi 23 on Amazon for a good read.... Self promotion? Moi?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:26 - 19 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I test drove one when I got my compensation. It was heavy and bizarrely slow. Noise wise, it was nice, but I'd rather have something that performs, especially if dropping large amounts of ££
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tungtvann
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Dec 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:45 - 19 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've looked into the R32 myself, but it needs to lose about 200kg and gain about 50bhp!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

weasley
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:18 - 19 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
I test drove one when I got my compensation. It was heavy and bizarrely slow. Noise wise, it was nice, but I'd rather have something that performs, especially if dropping large amounts of ££


Exactly this. I drove a mark 4 and had exactly the above opinion. Then I drove a mark 5 and whilst it was better, it was still a pretty blunt tool.

Also, dual-mass flywheel failures afflict loads of cars. Whilst it might be more expensive to fix in the R32, I wouldn't single it out as a model-specific failure mode. My old Volvo V50 had to have a new DMF, and clutch, and slave cylinder.
____________________
Yamaha XJ600 | Yamaha YZF600R Thundercat | KTM 990 SMT | BMW F900XR TE
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mudcow007
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:51 - 19 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont most cars now-a-days have duel mass thingies?

i know i shelled out for one on my 57 plate Signum (it had 3 all within 35,000 Shocked ) i think it cost just shy of a grand
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:35 - 19 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Style over substance, the utter antithesis of the Clio.

Check out an R27 Megane. You'll love that after the Clio. All the eagerness, even better handling, a nicer place to be and faster round the 'ring than any Golf.

Edit. Don't settle for a 225 Megane in its place. Sloppy suspension and no limited slip diff mean it's a completely different animal. Make sure it's an R27 or, if you don't need rear seats and have a few more quid, an R27.R.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mudcow007
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:45 - 19 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nexus Icon wrote:
Style over substance, the utter antithesis of the Clio.

Check out an R27 Megane. You'll love that after the Clio. All the eagerness, even better handling, a nicer place to be and faster round the 'ring than any Golf.



didnt they have a tendency to erm...go on fire?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:50 - 19 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

mudcow007 wrote:
Nexus Icon wrote:
Style over substance, the utter antithesis of the Clio.

Check out an R27 Megane. You'll love that after the Clio. All the eagerness, even better handling, a nicer place to be and faster round the 'ring than any Golf.



didnt they have a tendency to erm...go on fire?


I don't recall as such. I had mine for five years and the only problem I had was with birdshit on the black paintwork.

Edit. I do remember a recall on the turbo downpipes. Maybe that was it. Mine wasn't affected but I'd imagine any that were have been long since done. Renault are very good at mailing out reminders for things. It's been awhile since I've had either my Clio or the Megane but I still get paraphernalia sent through suggesting services or advisories. There was one recently recommending I get the bonnet catch swapped FOC on the Clio (10 yrs old now) as a couple had failed because the plastic was getting brittle with age.
____________________
Greetings from Shitsville!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:56 - 19 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

130i is more fun, faster and less likely to get nicked by an order of magnitude. Also cheaper to buy.
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rigga
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Nov 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:04 - 19 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which model are you on about op? If the mk5 golf then your better off with a gti, much lighter, much more nimble and more economical and nearly as fast.
____________________
Current bike: Honda CBR 1100xx
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:07 - 19 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a fan of the Golf R32. Perhaps tainted by some people I know who own them.

I reckon you'd get on with the Megane if you liked the Clio. Thought about a Focus ST or RS?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

weasley
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:25 - 19 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
130i is more fun, faster and less likely to get nicked by an order of magnitude. Also cheaper to buy.


A million times this. When I test drove the mk 5 R32 it was in the round of tests to select my next car. In the end I got a 130i; best car I ever had.
____________________
Yamaha XJ600 | Yamaha YZF600R Thundercat | KTM 990 SMT | BMW F900XR TE
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mudcow007
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:28 - 19 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i had the cash, it would be a type r civic me thinks

"hoonable" , loves it an wont blow up

or Audi S3 with remaps etc....
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rigga
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Nov 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:53 - 19 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Focus st with a remap Cool 270bhp, man that 5 pot engine sounds awesome. I would have another tomorrow.
____________________
Current bike: Honda CBR 1100xx
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

clancy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:01 - 19 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

What mk r32 you looking at ?

The mk4 is really heavy, pretty nippy but not actually that fast. Didn't feel as fast as my 172 I had.

Mk5 is better, but the r32 is slower than a mk5 2.0t with a remap. Haven't driven any newer golf's than that so can't comment

What's your budget ? My mate has a mk5 2.0t, paid 7k for it, spent about a grand on it and it's over 300 bhp
____________________
KLX 300r
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:25 - 19 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

£8k for 300hp isn't bad these days really

I'd be wanting either RWD or AWD with 300hp at that price.. so yeah, the only downfall I found was it was a Golf, I expected more?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

clancy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:38 - 19 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah same, I wouldn't bother with that much power on front wheel drive personally

For a fun quick hatchback that's not an Rs clio. I'd probably get an s3 or quattro a3 and remap it
____________________
KLX 300r
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:57 - 19 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
£8k for 300hp isn't bad these days really

I'd be wanting either RWD or AWD with 300hp at that price.. so yeah, the only downfall I found was it was a Golf, I expected more?


Looking at older stuff with RWD or AWD though, as they were more expensive to start with.

Nissan S14/15 is in that price range though, and I can think of a different type of R32 (Skyline).

clancy wrote:
Yeah same, I wouldn't bother with that much power on front wheel drive personally

For a fun quick hatchback that's not an Rs clio. I'd probably get an s3 or quattro a3 and remap it


Only FWD car I've driven that's able to handle more than about 240bhp, and handle it well is the Focus RS (Mk2), with its RevoKnuckle(?) & LSD.

Driven an Astra VXR and that could barely handle the stock power, yet the Focus RS I had a go in with 400bhp and no handling mods from stock handled much better.

Would still like to see another 4wd RS but doesn't look to be of interest to the Ford people.

If they released a Focus 4wd 5dr RS hatchback tomorrow, I'd sell a kidney to get one. Cos I'd love to get a Sierra Cosworth, practicality, still looks awesome and goes like stink, but they're a bit old now, and I want the modern-ness of technology.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

jjdugen
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Jun 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:39 - 19 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, lots to think about, thanks fellas.
Basically, the Clio goes back to the 'ring in May and I have another trip in June. I'm starting to push the limits of the Clio now so was looking for a bit more go, but more importantly, better road-holding. The Clio is fine until you get to extremise and then tends to let go all at once (a bit butt clenching). I'm toying with putting the money into suspension and a remap, but, essentially, I'm hurling a ten year old French built car at the most dangerous ribbon of road in Europe.
I did fancy a bit of Teutonic solidity, but I will try to hunt down a Megane (even with the hideous rear end).

Budget about £6 - 8K depending on what the Clio can get, so not a great wad I admit. These type of things always seem to cost at least a thou to get right and I'm not risking any more gong into the Armco.

I agree on the Civic Type R, but they too are getting a bit long in the tooth ( I'd be just as happy with a Type S to be honest).
Not so sure about rear wheel drive these days, they seem to be the ones letting go unexpectedly (re Top gears test).

decisions, decisions.

Thanks again for the info and advice, I knew you would come up with the goods.

Cheers.
____________________
The CBR900RR has been sold. Aprilia Falco worms its way into my heart.
Try Soi 23 on Amazon for a good read.... Self promotion? Moi?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

clancy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:01 - 19 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

What set up have you got on your 172 at the minute mate ?

I had AP fully adjustable coil overs, solid engine and gearbox mounts, decat, cat back, uprated clutch and a remap and it was amazing drive. Handled like a go kart and was pretty quick. Obviously there's not much more to get out of it power wise without a turbo but handling wise the set up I had was fantastic

You after hatchback or anything ? For 5k you could get a r33 gtst and spunk the rest on engine and suspension mods
____________________
KLX 300r
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:19 - 19 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjdugen wrote:
Right, lots to think about, thanks fellas.
Basically, the Clio goes back to the 'ring in May and I have another trip in June. I'm starting to push the limits of the Clio now so was looking for a bit more go, but more importantly, better road-holding. The Clio is fine until you get to extremise and then tends to let go all at once (a bit butt clenching). I'm toying with putting the money into suspension and a remap, but, essentially, I'm hurling a ten year old French built car at the most dangerous ribbon of road in Europe.
I did fancy a bit of Teutonic solidity, but I will try to hunt down a Megane (even with the hideous rear end).

Budget about £6 - 8K depending on what the Clio can get, so not a great wad I admit. These type of things always seem to cost at least a thou to get right and I'm not risking any more gong into the Armco.

I agree on the Civic Type R, but they too are getting a bit long in the tooth ( I'd be just as happy with a Type S to be honest).
Not so sure about rear wheel drive these days, they seem to be the ones letting go unexpectedly (re Top gears test).

decisions, decisions.

Thanks again for the info and advice, I knew you would come up with the goods.

Cheers.



Just posted quite a length reply and my internet fubar'd before it posted properly. Trying to remember what I put.

TL/DR is spend half the money on improving the car you end up with.


£3-4k of improvements on a £3-4k car will bring about a much better track car than a £6-8k car on its own.

Any reasonable DIY mechanic could do/fit the following:

- 4-1 exhaust manifold, decat/sports cat, stainless free flowing system to get the burnt fuel out
- now to get the air in better, free flowing panel filter or cone filter, bigger throttle body, new performance inlet manifold (get it ported & polished for even better results)
- suspension kit (lowering springs & stiffer shocks, coilovers are generally unnecessary and overpriced) and ANTI ROLL BARS (in caps because they were both the cheapest and the most effective handling mod on all 4 of my cars)
- big brake kit, 4 pot at least, ideally 6 pot, with fast road/track pads (Ferrodo DS2500 or similar), braided hoses and Motul RBF racing brake fluid (or similar)
- big brakes will be a lot heavier, so lighter wheels to reduce the unsprung weight will improve the handling.


Other stuff you can do is suspension (wishbone/beam etc) bushes, Powerflex ones will stiffen everything up, particularly if the car is on rubber bushes it came out the factory with, they wear and get very sloppy. Taking it to a garage might be a better idea as they'll have all the equipment and presses to do that. I know very competent DIY mechanics who've struggled with removing old bushes or pressing the new ones in.

If it's a turbo car, then bigger turbo & intercooler, bigger injectors & remap are all things you can consider. Hell you could even fit a turbo to an n/a car with that "tuning budget".

But tyres would be the ideal place to start. Road-legal track tyres would be ideal if you're in the dry all the time, but they don't last too long and are expensive. High performance road tyres would be better, especially if you're going to be driving it on a wet or damp track. Two sets of wheels with track tyres and road tyres for best of both??


And weight saving, so removing everything unnecessary, rear seats, spare wheel, carpet, sound deadening, air conditioning, stereo & speakers. The biggest limit with weight reduction is how far you want to go, what you don't want to do without etc.



You will be amazed at the bargains you can find on ebay if you're prepared to put the hours in.

I know a guy who has bought a standard Focus ST170, built it into a track car, turbo'd the n/a engine, carbon fibre panels, full works... and as of february this year it owed him £1500, including buying it. The car itself must have had over £10k poured into it, but by buying cheap, replacing it and selling high, turning over a profit basically.
As he was progressing he was picking up bargains like full stainless system for £50, then selling it for a lot more when he replaced it with a exhaust system for the turbo etc.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bikertomm
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:14 - 19 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with someone else about considering a megane.

The 225 version or R26 are fairly quick lumps. If you don't mind the look of them. Definitely a nice step up from the clio!

https://www.fastcar.co.uk/2014/03/18/renaultsport-megane-buying-guide/

Thumbs Up
____________________
07' Honda Hornet now full powaah! My guide on performing an oil change!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer



Joined: 18 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:17 - 19 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
£8k for 300hp isn't bad these days really

I'd be wanting either RWD or AWD with 300hp at that price.. so yeah, the only downfall I found was it was a Golf, I expected more?


E46 M3 for that money. Thumbs Up
____________________
My Flickr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rigga
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Nov 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:31 - 19 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wafer_Thin_Ham wrote:


E46 M3 for that money. Thumbs Up


Too right, or E39 M5 if you don't mind running costs Cool
____________________
Current bike: Honda CBR 1100xx
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mudcow007
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:21 - 20 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

8k ahh me thinks something like

This

if you can afford to run it.....will do about 12 - 20 to the gallon

but sound awesome

just check for rot underneath (they are prone to it)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 204 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.15 Sec - Server Load: 1.69 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 132.58 Kb