Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Honda Melody Deluxe II engine help please!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

KeithyM
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 20 Mar 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:14 - 20 Mar 2014    Post subject: Honda Melody Deluxe II engine help please! Reply with quote

Hi Guys

I'm new to this so please bear with me!

In an attempt to relive the fun I had when I was a youth (and to cut down on the costs of commuting these days too!) I have purchased a 1 owner from new Honda Melody Deluxe II in the glorious dayglo yellow colour. But I have a problem that with my very limited technical knowledge I cannot solve...

The ped fires up from either the electric starter or on the kick first time, every time and then ticks over very sweetly if left. It produces the right amount of smoke to show that the oil pump system is working. I have fitted a new spark plug and cap. The issue is this, when I set off I can run at full throttle/rpm for about 10 minutes with the ped easily and smoothly hitting 30/35 mph with no bother but any longer the engine will die if I go anywhere near fully opening the throttle. This means that I have to complete my journey at 5-10mph tops and no more, along with stopping every 10 feet to let the engine 'rest' before pulling off again.

Is this a cooling issue with the engine getting too hot, or is there a blockage somewhere. I think it may be the former as the engine seems to perform optimally when cold.

I have no technical knowledge just a love for my old ped, so any help from any direction will be very gratefully received.

Thanks in advance!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Busa1340R
Nova Slayer



Joined: 18 Feb 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:55 - 20 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blocked fuel tank breather maybe?

Or maybe a split vac pipe to the fuel tap?

Or maybe a sticking carb float valve?
____________________
Current: 2010 Suzuki GSX1340R Hayabusa, 2013 Yamaha YP250R X-Max Sport - Previous: Triumph Sprint ST1050ABS, Honda XL600V Transalp, Honda NT650V Dullsville (don't ask!), Kawasaki ZX9R E1, Honda NX650 Dominator, Suzuki GSX1300RKZ Hayabusa, Honda CBR1000FM, Kawasaki GPZ500S, etc etc
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Matt B
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:19 - 20 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say let it rest, what do you mean exactly?

Does it die completely or just lack power but still manage to tick over? If it was overheating and seizing I would expect it to die totally.
____________________
stinkwheel: He had an animated .gif of a cat performing fellatio. It's not socially acceptable. It can have real life adverse effects on other people.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

KeithyM
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 20 Mar 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:22 - 20 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

If I continue at full throttle she will slow and die but will restart first time. If I reduce speed and pull over to a stop she will regain tick over without dying but I then need to wait a minute before pulling off otherwise she will die when I open the throttle. Once this process has happened once she never reaches full speed with an open throttle and continues to want to die every few feet thereafter. Even the slightest incline sees me pushing her up it. I've also noticed a bit over over run when I switch of the engine with the key although this 'putting' only lasts for 5-10 seconds.

Thanks again!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar



Joined: 16 Aug 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:21 - 20 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definately sounds like it's running out of fuel. Do these have a vaccuum controlled tap or is it just a gravity feed to the carb?

Anyway, try taking off/ open the petrol cap and then riding it. If the issue goes away, the air breather in the cap is blocked.
____________________
trevor saxe-coburg-gotha:"Remember this simple rule - scooters are for men who like to feel the breeze on their huge, flapping cunt lips."
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Matt B
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:19 - 20 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, either way it sounds like fuel starvation.

Was it stood for a long time before you got it? Things may have dried out and got gunked up.
____________________
stinkwheel: He had an animated .gif of a cat performing fellatio. It's not socially acceptable. It can have real life adverse effects on other people.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Jul 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:41 - 20 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you try manually operating the choke when or before riding? if it's not fuel starvation from a blocked tank breather, dirty fuel tap, line or filter and the carb is clean and float height correctly set, then it could be running lean at full throttle?

It would be worth de-carbonising the engine top end and filling the exhaust system with caustic soda solution and then hanging it up for 24hours to clean it all out. If it's been run on lawnmower grade oil for years, it could have easily become blocked up with carbon deposits in the combustion chamber, piston crown and exhaust port/system.

Low performance 2strokes are often worse for getting all carbon deposits building up over time, and this could be causing your overheating and or pre-ignition when hot.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

KeithyM
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 20 Mar 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:39 - 20 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again guys.

I'll try riding her home from work with the fuel cap off and see if that makes a difference.

I bought the ped from an old lady who's owned it from new and turned it over every day even when not used. It's only covered 7,000 miles since 1985 and has flown through all MOT's so it's been well looked after and maintained. It's always been run on good oil and good quality fuel too.

I'm not technically minded at all but I do have a Haynes book at home so provided I get home in one piece (I have to traverse a very busy dual carriageway for a mile or two which I don't fancy suddenly losing power in the middle of!) I'll try and get my head around all of your suggestions. As I have no garage or workshop I'm limited to roadside repairs too.

If I can't sort her myself does anyone know of a reasonably priced mechanic in the Bristol area, it's my only mode of transport and I need her to get me to work too.

Thanks again all
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:44 - 20 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the chihuahua wrote:
vacuum controlled


Thumbs Up

If its anything like the melody i have it will be vacuum fed.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

KeithyM
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 20 Mar 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:55 - 20 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I tried the trip home with no fuel cap and there was an improvement but only slight.

I managed to get home with the engine dying only once but I still couldn't get over 10-15mph and a fully open throttle made the engine misfire and 'lumpy', certainly nowhere near as smooth as with the cap on. I think I even heard a misfire.

I'm even more confused.

Thanks again guys
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

KeithyM
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 20 Mar 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:56 - 20 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I tried the trip home with no fuel cap and there was an improvement but only slight.

I managed to get home with the engine dying only once but I still couldn't get over 10-15mph and a fully open throttle made the engine misfire and 'lumpy', certainly nowhere near as smooth as with the cap on. I think I even heard a misfire.

I'm even more confused.

Thanks again guys
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bypass2
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 12 Sep 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:34 - 20 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe a faulty fuel sender
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Matt B
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:12 - 21 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the carb and the associated fuel gubbins off, strip and clean the lot with some carb cleaner. Try again.
____________________
stinkwheel: He had an animated .gif of a cat performing fellatio. It's not socially acceptable. It can have real life adverse effects on other people.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:20 - 21 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
Get the carb and the associated fuel gubbins off, strip and clean the lot with some carb cleaner. Try again.

If OP is nervous about disassembling a carb (they can be tricky to put back together) I'd first try the trick of running engine and spraying carb cleaner through the air intake (filter removed). May have to up the revs to prevent engine cutting out. If it works all good, if not then move onto another solution.

Thinking about it has OP checked for any splits in connecting rubber 'tween carb and engine? Probably a red herring but seconds to check and rule out.

Only other thing I can suggest, based on issues with my daughter's Vespa, is reg/rec issue. This caused engine power to be lost when running. Can't remember how issue diagnosed to reg/rec but replacement from eBay sorted it.
____________________
...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger? Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 199 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.5 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 83.04 Kb