Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Loss of power when rolling off... - [Not JUST Carb!]

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:00 - 17 Mar 2014    Post subject: Loss of power when rolling off... - [Not JUST Carb!] Reply with quote

So, I has a new shitter. A Chinese shitter, in China.

It's a 125cc 4-stroke single, made by Zongshen, and 180 quids worth of fury.

It was running better last weekend when I bought it, but now it (a few nights ago and) tonight kept losing power until a gradual stall.

So, from cruising in 5th at 80kph, the moment I roll off the engine starts to bog down.... and working through the box does nothing, until it stops. Then lots of faffing about with the choke settings (on the carb), and usually a few goes kickstarting it without the lights on... and she roars to life.

And about 5 minutes later, the same thing. Ad nauseum. Unless it goes away completely, and life is sweet and problem free...

Just curious what smart people think is wrong with it, I have a couple of ideas, but I'm an idiot. So, what do you guys reckon are the best things to check.

Shit in petrol tank, dislodged by spirited/off-piste riding, clogging the jets. Or a clogged fuel filter. Or both.

Or the carbs aren't breathing right.

Or the battery/HT lead is fubared.


I'll get out and look at it/take it to the mechanic tomorrow, but any heads up/shared wisdom would be great.
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...


Last edited by Visitor Q on 06:39 - 25 Mar 2014; edited 2 times in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hetzer
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:26 - 17 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

First possibility is it's chinese. If it's not that it could be its chiniseness. And, failing that, most likely that it was made in china.
____________________
"There's the horizon! Ride hard, ride fast and cut down all who stand in your way!"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

jjdugen
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Jun 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:50 - 17 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuel supply. Blocked filter, blocked tank breather.
____________________
The CBR900RR has been sold. Aprilia Falco worms its way into my heart.
Try Soi 23 on Amazon for a good read.... Self promotion? Moi?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 02 Aug 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:36 - 17 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto the above,blocked tank breather my GPZ was a sod for it last yr
____________________
current scoot 2009 Yamaha YBR250 + Current Pootle 2013 Nissan Leaf
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

SQL
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:45 - 17 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had same symptoms from loose sparkplug
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

temeluchus
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:49 - 17 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

check the float height, if it is too low, it might be flooding.
____________________
Some shite cruiser. Now with guns and FREEDOM!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Fisty
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:52 - 17 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Chinese, It could be anything from the carb to the rear wheel being made of Chinese helmet cheddar.
____________________
Quietly and consistently taking the piss.
TL1000R | Hayabusa | ZXR400 | TL1000S | Bandit 400 V
Fatter and faster than Fret
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

gavbriggs
Crazy Courier



Joined: 11 Jun 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:38 - 17 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can almost guarantee there is water in the tank and the carb. Clean both thoroughly and the bike will be fine.

The seals on these Chinese tanks are made of tissue paper or something similar and don't seal anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:38 - 18 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, it seemed like it was a fueling issue.

I shall have my man in the shop do it for me, and cost all of 3 quid.

Thanks guys.
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

tbourner
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:08 - 18 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't you supposed to lose power when you roll off the throttle?
____________________
Trev, now a biker?
Looking for first big bike.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:27 - 18 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

tbourner wrote:
Aren't you supposed to lose power when you roll off the throttle?


Thanks Colin Laughing

I mean when you start to close the throttle after a long cruise held open, it feels like you're turned off the ignition, but with the lights and everything still on.

Then takes a few goes faffing around with the carb and kickstart and she's alreet. Runs like arse with the choke on, so when you take it off, sudden surge of power and happiness... few minutes later, same fucking bastard problem.

Will chuck it to the mechanics today, and grab it tomorrow. See if he solves it. It's a problem that comes and goes, so I wanted to double check it was probably just fueling before giving it to one of these butchers Razz
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:29 - 18 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:
First possibility is it's chinese. If it's not that it could be its chiniseness. And, failing that, most likely that it was made in china.


So was your kindle, computer, phone, chair, set of plates, lighter, and just about everything else.

This is one of the high-quality ones, actually. About 700 quid new Wink

But it's 3 years old, which in Chinese bike years is about 20 normal bike years.
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hetzer
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:18 - 18 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonny wrote:
Hetzer wrote:
First possibility is it's chinese. If it's not that it could be its chiniseness. And, failing that, most likely that it was made in china.


So was your kindle, computer, phone, chair, set of plates, lighter, and just about everything else.

This is one of the high-quality ones, actually. About 700 quid new Wink

But it's 3 years old, which in Chinese bike years is about 20 normal bike years.


Wife is Japanese though. Laughing
____________________
"There's the horizon! Ride hard, ride fast and cut down all who stand in your way!"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:47 - 18 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:


Wife is Japanese though. Laughing


One day, sir, when alone together... we shall get thoroughly in to the top trumps of it all. Laughing

I am, however, stealing the idea of a dance pole in the bedroom. For, erm, exercise.
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lihp
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:51 - 18 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

You lose power when you close the throttle?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:25 - 20 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, leaving aside the just jesus-fucking-wept stupidity of being forced to ride (a normally 15 minute ride - 30 today with stops and fucking around) to the misses flat to 'help' with some work she is being tested on (singularly)... that she hadn't done, and doesn't need to give in any time....


BIKE!
Picked up bike last night, carb was cleaned and that was about it. Couldn't communicate with the very busy mechanic, thought I'd see how it went. It was /ok/ until I got to the gate of her compound, where it died as soon as I rolled up to the gate.

Rode home this morning, absolutely fine, literally not a problem. Parked up, beauty.

5 hours later, went to ride back to her place, complete cunt from the moment I left. Had to ferociously kick it every 500m after it died.

Looked at it while waiting at hers, only obvious problem I could find was a split in the air hose leading in to this thing [coming from an open but filtered - like an inline fuel filter - hose just behind the engine, it has a hose leading to the out-manifold of the carb, and one leading to the other side of the engine next to the exhaust - what the fuck is it?]

https://cdn.bikechatforums.com/files/imag0008_783.jpg

Never seen anything like it, at least not on a single Confused Retard I am.

Anyway, then rode the bike around the carpark. Not a single problem, blattered about and the throttle was mostly responsive.

Then came to ride the cunt home. Had to restart it literally every 200m, sometimes getting to 500m. I tried going slowly. I tried choke on and choke off and choke in the middle. Bastard was just determined to die.

Experimented with abusing the shit out of it for 2 minutes kickstarting it until it started... or by the end just waiting 2 minutes and then going again. I tried protecting the loose electrical shonkiness from shaking to see if that was the problem. Nope, just still died for no apparent reason.

I am a sad panda.

The mechanic, when questioned last night, just offered to sell me a new carb, saying the old one seemed 'quite old'.

Current plan is to swap the spark plug and see if that helps. Maybe the slightly loose ht lead too. New carb is 6.50, which is cheap, but have no spare cash until the end of the month. Really should get some more tools than I have now as well, haven't even got a spark plug spanner - and I've got nowhere to work without drawing an inane crowd. And the mechanic doesn't speak a word of English Neutral

China sucks.

Anyway, help?

What else could it be? He did fit a new ignition to the bike just before this problem started... Thinking Loose connection under the barrel? Have to ride the bike distance tomorrow and Saturday, so really would like to solve it tomorrow.
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man



Joined: 16 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:39 - 20 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing with the split hose looks like an emissions control valve. Useless thing. If the split was between the carb rubber and the valve, that would explain the problem - big air leak.

The ignition barrel is a possibility. I have come across a similar problem on a CBR125 where the wiring for the igntion barrel was routed so it was getting pinched by the steering lockstops, giving intermittend failure to start when it was earthing out on the frame. Check the wiring from the ignition barrel to see if any of it is exposed.

A dirty carb or similar is unlikely. It was running well, it has started running poorly. Petrol cleans carbs, carb faults like this don't appear suddenly.

So my money is on an air leak, easily fixed by disconnecting the emissions valve from the carb and plugging its hole on the carb rubber, or an electrical fault, starting with the last thing that was "fixed".

Do also make sure the spark plug is screwed in.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 05:15 - 21 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:


Do also make sure the spark plug is screwed in.


So tightly I can't even inspect the bugger. Need to get a spark plug spanner and check the spark/gap. That will be a fun few hours of my life trying to find one... Oh the joy.

Will inspect/coccoon the ignition body now. I agree it is the most likely source of pain. It's dying so suddenly it can't be the carb.

I was worried it might be bits of crap clogging the jet, but that wouldn't be as regular as this is.

Would a murdered CDI/Reg/Rec/Alternator/Coil (the main parts of the electrical circuit) have this effect too?
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 05:17 - 21 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I should say that the mechanic 'fixed' the air hose from the treacherous Emissions bastard thing to the inlet manifold.... with some random hose he found on the floor. Which may be so thin it is collapsing... but I still don't really understand how it works.

As for blocking it off, I would do, but it also runs a pipe in to the engine...
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bladerunner
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:40 - 21 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonny...you sure it ain't fuel starvation....blocked filter in the tank or between tank and carb.....or maybe on some bikes a fine mesh in the spigot on the carb. If it's on tank side and it's getting blocked then if you pull the fuel line off the carb you'll see if it's flowing enough
____________________
Current bikes...cbr929, KDX200's, Rd125lc mk2, RGV250's
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:29 - 21 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, certainly not sure it's not that. I had asked the pillock to change my fuel tap filter, but he didn't understand (didn't charge me at least).

Just spent a fun 3 hours in the sun, being pestered by locals (and a horde of my students as well). Had the carb off and cleaned/inspected (fine) - and set the float a bit lower -, airbox filter inspected and cleaned... and tidied up the gash electronics as much as I can.
Got back at the ignition, WD'ed all connections I could find but wasn't able to check much more than that. The barrel comes as a complete unit, including wires, so asides from the highly likely 'faulty piece of 2 quid crap' element, I'm not sure how else to really check it. Certainly not buying yet another multimeter to feebly stare at.

Will need a hacksaw to get under the seat/tank, turns out they use utterly arse quality nuts and bolts too. For a 3 year old bike, in a country that seldom rains... this thing looks like it's been dredged out of a river.

Fucking China.

Anyway, put it all back together. Starts a lot easier, especially once warmed up. Idle is running one minute low, one minute high, one minute low... generally weird. Just blatted it around the estate, no problem... the moment I pulled up it cut out again.

Off to the mechanics now to get a new spark plug, and maybe new HT lead. And a new in-tap filter as the old one is gungy. He's probably still going to try to sell me a whole new carb, which he can whistle for.

Also Robby, tried blocking off the intake manifold hose to the ECV thingywhatsit... ran, but rougher than with it in. I also had to swap a bolt from somewhere else to properly attach the flange/intake thing that the carb bolts on to. Only one bolt attached (of two). Words fail me.
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

garth
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:02 - 21 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erratic idle could be air leak.

As for cutting out, check it isn't the connections to the kill switch, also. Don't know how that circuit works, but it'll either be a case of joining them or literally unplugging the switch. Also check the sidestand switch.

It's easy to remove that emissions bollocks, you will just need to plug the hole in the inlet manifold and blank off the cap where it goes into the head. If you unbolt the steel pipe that goes into the head and cut it off flush, you can just put a nut and bolt through to blank it off.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:51 - 21 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

She lives!!

Rode to the shop, still died outside.

New sparkplug, job done.

Only new quandry is why she cuts out at traffic lights unless you blip the throttle, even with the idle set high... Thinking

But anyway, for now she is back to useable transport again. Hurrah!
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man



Joined: 16 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:55 - 21 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonny wrote:

Only new quandry is why she cuts out at traffic lights unless you blip the throttle, even with the idle set high... Thinking


May have to do with you fiddling with the float height. Put it back to how it was.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:44 - 21 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
Bonny wrote:

Only new quandry is why she cuts out at traffic lights unless you blip the throttle, even with the idle set high... Thinking


May have to do with you fiddling with the float height. Put it back to how it was.


Paranoia, or legitimate risk?

People were worried a high float was causing it to flood and die. How would a low float cause it to die at low/idle revs?
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 200 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.23 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 141.97 Kb