Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Forks pitting.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

mysterious_rider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:21 - 21 Mar 2014    Post subject: Forks pitting. Reply with quote

Hello guys, I've started to notice some pinhole sized pitting on my fork legs. It isn't enough to make the seals weep, so I was wondering what's the best way to stop it from getting worse?

I was thinking of some fork gaiters (plastic). With some gasket sealant and a hose clip at the top to stop rain getting in.

I don't want to have to rechrome the legs in a few years or so.

Suggestions?
____________________
KAWASAKIIIII
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:41 - 21 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neoprene fork gaiters, or plastic if you are really cheap Laughing

KTM had plastic ones, I won't change them as they cover blown seals if and when they do go pop Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:45 - 21 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing I put on Ze Beemer was rubber gaiters. I can't see myself not adding them to any bike that I'm intending to keep for more than a few months.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Entertwainer
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 13 May 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:09 - 21 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you dont mind the look, ariete do full length fork gaiters - not cheap plastic sh*t. installed on mine before winter kicked in - dry as bones 99% of the time - use a couple of jubilee clips top and bottom to stop them going wonky.

also, it hides the blown seal on one of my forks. i cant be arsed to fix it. its only a CG FFS.
____________________
Honda CG 125 W - Turkish - 1998 - 2015 RIP
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:03 - 21 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

It isn't the pitting that directly causes a leak, rather the pitting damages the seals so they leak. Can take a while.

Gaiters might well stop the pits getting worse, but if the pits are in an area the seals go over then they are living on borrowed time.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mysterious_rider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:38 - 21 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I don't think the pitting is on the suspension part just yet (but its very close).

Yes I understand how pitting will damage seals Laughing

Once rust has taken hold it'll get damaged soon.

You said fork gaiters clamped top and bottom? How the hell did they breathe... Did you just let them suck up in a vacuum?

I was thinking use the plastic ones, seal the top with a clip/gasket seal, and smear grease on the inside chrome under the gaiter.

That way, at least the rust shouldn't get any worse (can use a drill attachment and polish the rust off first I guess).

Bit better than letting the elements rot it.

See what I had on a previous bike water just got inside the gaiter and rusted it up anyway.
____________________
KAWASAKIIIII
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:42 - 21 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Vaseline is normally recommended for protecting fork chrome.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Nov 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:45 - 21 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like gaiters (but then, I don't have to ride in rain). They *can* trap moisture. Also, I prefer to be able to see what's going on (a wipe with the fabled oily rag a few times a week should be all you need on a dry miles bike). One of my bikes does have gaiters though - and looks much better with than without. So it gets to keep 'em. The rest don't though.
____________________
"Life is a sexually transmitted disease and the mortality rate is one hundred percent."

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Boris the spider
Nearly there...



Joined: 24 Jan 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:54 - 21 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gaitors I bought for the YBR were decent ones. Cable tied on tightly. No crap or rain can get in.
They have a small hole in each ( positioned behind the fork ) They let air in and out as the forks work.
Can hear the puff noise when shoving bike back and forward with front brake on.
____________________
Yes I'm a pig....And yes... The working public do pay my wages. Tho I contribute to your benefits you lazy c##t. You do not pay my wages. So go fcuk yourself.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 198 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.06 Sec - Server Load: 0.47 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 61.54 Kb