Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


My broken brakes.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:19 - 24 Mar 2014    Post subject: My broken brakes. Reply with quote

My brakes are broken!

I was off all last week getting the sv up to scratch and the diversion repaired from its crash and now tomorrow I have to get a train to work because the back brake of the sv shat it's pads half way home from work today and the diversion is constantly showing the brake light from the front leaver.

I can deal with the sv issue, new pads and pins, I could do with some advice with the diversion though.

I recently fitted a tdm900 reservoir/master cylinder to match a set of blue spots up front and I'm not sure if there is an issue with the master cylinder or an issue with the switch itself. The issue is that when I release the brake the piston doesn't seem to push the lever far enough back to click the microswitch. The switch is compressed about half of its travel, but it doesn't click for another mm or so.

I'm unsure if the master cylinder should be releasing further than it is, or if the microswitch should be clicking earlier. So my question is, should the master cylinder push the switch all the way back in with ease, or should the microswitch be clicking quite early in its travel?

I've taken a couple of videos to show better what I mean but they're being very slow to upload, I'll pop them up in a bit.
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:29 - 24 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easiest way out of that is to junk the switch and buy a pressure-switch banjo bolt for the front brake hose. This puts the light on when it detects pressure in the system, as you apply the brake.

EDIT: or glue some packing to the lever to press the switch earlier.
____________________
a.k.a 'Geri'

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:41 - 24 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've no real problem with that but if I've bought a faulty part I may as well get it replaced. If it's just the switch I'll buy one but if the master is dud I'll try for a refund or replacement.
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

gavcarter
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 28 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:15 - 25 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
I've no real problem with that but if I've bought a faulty part I may as well get it replaced. If it's just the switch I'll buy one but if the master is dud I'll try for a refund or replacement.


Also worth checking pistons on calipers, If they are sticky and refusing to release properly fluid cant escape the master cylinder to allow the lever to return fully....

If they seem ok, remove switch and re-fit a lot of them are just held with a single bolt and if the tiny plastic pin has broken off the switch can rotate a small amount on its mount
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:14 - 25 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

gavcarter wrote:

Also worth checking pistons on calipers, If they are sticky and refusing to release properly fluid cant escape the master cylinder to allow the lever to return fully....


That's not true at all. Did you mean piston in the master cylinder?
____________________
a.k.a 'Geri'

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:26 - 25 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have removed the wires for the front brake light and remembered to use the rear as well as the front. Quick fix really.

But yeah, the CBR600RR had the same issue, glued small piece of material as padding, voila.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

davebike
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Nov 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:50 - 25 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

This issue is caused by a very slightly the wrong Brake leaver
The master cylinder accepts several different leavers some have very slightly different arms to work the brake switch

The cure is either the correct leaver (very hard to sort out) or a little packing on the arm the works the switch

Dave
____________________
Dave
NC750Xdct + others at work !
[email protected]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:07 - 25 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lever came with the master cylinder, I presumed perhaps incorrectly that it was the standard tdm900 lever.

I thought that it worked fine when I first fitted the brakes to the divvy but it's possible I just hadn't noticed the issue. Sounds like it isn't all that uncommon anyway. I guess if there is no real issue with the master cylinder I'll just add a bit of something to the lever then.
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 197 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.69 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 58.57 Kb