Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


TA + full time job

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:02 - 24 Mar 2014    Post subject: TA + full time job Reply with quote

Right so my mate works full time and also goes to the TA quite frequently on the weekends. Seems fair enough but he also goes on their 2 week exercises as well. Thought nothing of it until he mentioned he has to use his holidays at work to cover these trips. They doesn't sound right to me. I suppose they are optional (maybe?) so it's not his works problem. Any TA people here?
____________________
KTM 990 SMT & Suzuki DR-Z 400 SM
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Nov 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:20 - 24 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Employers of reservists (TA) also have particular rights and obligations in this situation - eg they may be able to claim financial assistance or apply for an exemption

See here...
____________________
Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're probably right
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Benno
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:21 - 24 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm TA but I'm unemployed. However today I was on the phone and despite mentioning the TA have scored four interviews over the next few days - all the employers said they didn't care, they already had people in the TA in the company and it wasn't a problem.

Many companies expect you to take time out of your allocated time off for the annual camp/s. Some companies, mostly those related to the defence sector, give extra time off specifically for the TA.

You don't have to go on the weekday exercises - there is usually only one per year, the two week annual camp, and honestly it's just like a holiday.
Let me give you an example: two years ago we went to Denmark. We spent a week on the ranges doing all sorts of cool stuff. Then we had a FIBUA package over a weekend involving simunitions - paintballs fired by 9mm pistol cartridges. Painful! Then we had a 3 day field exercise, followed by 3 days of boozing it up and "cultural visits" to towns in Southern Denmark. One of the best trips abroad I've ever had!

The majority are just weekends, though - get in on friday evening, back sunday afternoon. But for the training, you need to take time off work. Alpha course is either run over 6 weekends or ten days straight (time off work) and the Bravo course is a 2 week course (time off work). These are both compulsory before you become a TA soldier. Don't fail, otherwise you have to do it again!
____________________
I'm autistic. That means I'm smarter than you.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:33 - 24 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Join the TA = free flight to Ukraine?

https://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/73700000/jpg/_73700152_73696960.jpg

Ukraine has so many devastatingly beautiful women. This is a battle I cannot avoid.

BRB, going to Crimea.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Benno
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:43 - 24 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Join the TA = free flight to Ukraine?

https://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/73700000/jpg/_73700152_73696960.jpg

Ukraine has so many devastatingly beautiful women. This is a battle I cannot avoid.

BRB, going to Crimea.


We all know your cock isn't nearly as big as your gifs, don't pretend you have a chance.
____________________
I'm autistic. That means I'm smarter than you.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:55 - 24 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

100mb cock?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Benno
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:15 - 24 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
100mb cock?


I've got a 1TB black external HD. Step it up.
____________________
I'm autistic. That means I'm smarter than you.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:22 - 24 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

1tb? Laughing That's not something to be proud of. Razz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Benno
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:54 - 24 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
1tb? Laughing That's not something to be proud of. Razz


More than a puny 100MB. And trust me, I give BBC a different meaning.


This thread has gone seriously off topic, I'm so sorry OP

I'm not even black
____________________
I'm autistic. That means I'm smarter than you.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:01 - 24 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
https://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/73700000/jpg/_73700152_73696960.jpg

Ukraine has so many devastatingly beautiful women. This is a battle I cannot avoid.

Keep up: "Bright side, Ukranian brides should be cheap and plentiful soon."

Order a crate, we can divvy them up?
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:58 - 24 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benno wrote:
Ste wrote:
1tb? Laughing That's not something to be proud of. Razz


More than a puny 100MB. And trust me, I give BBC a different meaning.


This thread has gone seriously off topic, I'm so sorry OP

I'm not even black

100mb was followed by a question mark. Razz

Every thread on BCF goes off topic, it's da law, the only question is how quickly it'll be taken off topic. Mr. Green
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

smegballs
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 05:55 - 25 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Order a crate, we can divvy them up?


Jesus man, they're not Mosin's...

https://www.firearmstalk.com/images/3/9/0/8/3/a2d9f1699b9e0854f2f095f93c19-1791.jpg
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

daemonoid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:01 - 25 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracey Suntan-King wrote:
Employers of reservists (TA) also have particular rights and obligations in this situation - eg they may be able to claim financial assistance or apply for an exemption

See here...


That's just when they're called up, not the 2 week training. Full quote (my bold):

Quote:
Employees in the Army Reserves or other reserve forces have certain protections under employment law if they’re called up for service.

Employers of reservists also have particular rights and obligations in this situation - eg they may be able to claim financial assistance or apply for an exemption.

____________________
current: ducati monster 750
past: hyosung gt250r, bajaj pulsar 180, hyosung gt 125 comet
@thomasgarrard | www.straitjkt.com | www.racingseven.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:08 - 25 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were two TA folk at one of the places I worked and they had to use up to 2 weeks holiday per year for exercises that interfered with their working week.
But the company gave them time off for any training/exercises relating to operational tours, and the tours themselves. They earnt holiday when on ops too, and payroll department helped them regarding tax claims expenses etc
____________________
Current Bike: 1999 Honda CB600 FX Hornet
Next Bike: I want a CBR-RR. And I want an F800 GS-A. And a VFR 800. Can I have all 3?
Dream Bikes: Honda VFR750R RC30, Honda NSR500, Ducati 996 R
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:10 - 25 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

smegballs wrote:
Jesus man, they're not Mosin's...

Oil the receiver and slam your bolt in.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:01 - 25 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

smegballs wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:
Order a crate, we can divvy them up?


Jesus man, they're not Mosin's...

https://www.firearmstalk.com/images/3/9/0/8/3/a2d9f1699b9e0854f2f095f93c19-1791.jpg


Jesus, is that common knowledge then? A mate of mine in Australia, late 60's, decided to do that. No end of headache, but he made it sound like a one off.

Sound like awful rifles, to be fair.
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:26 - 25 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
smegballs wrote:
Jesus man, they're not Mosin's...
Oil the receiver and slam your bolt in.

I have sympathy for your missus if that's your foreplay routine Wink
____________________
...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger? Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

temeluchus
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:43 - 25 Mar 2014    Post subject: Re: TA + full time job Reply with quote

Irn-Bru wrote:
Right so my mate works full time and also goes to the TA quite frequently on the weekends. Seems fair enough but he also goes on their 2 week exercises as well. Thought nothing of it until he mentioned he has to use his holidays at work to cover these trips. They doesn't sound right to me. I suppose they are optional (maybe?) so it's not his works problem. Any TA people here?


Yes you have to use holiday for annual camp. No they are not exempted as public duties. Your employer may grant you unpaid leave, but they don't have to. Missing training, particularly annual camp, is frowned upon and will inevitably end ruining promotion prospects.

Should you get called up, they will reimburse your employer the costs of hiring a temporary replacement.

(former TA PSI)
____________________
Some shite cruiser. Now with guns and FREEDOM!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

temeluchus
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:46 - 25 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benno wrote:
I'm TA but I'm unemployed.


Why aren't you on FTRS then, you bum.
____________________
Some shite cruiser. Now with guns and FREEDOM!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:07 - 25 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben-B wrote:
There were two TA folk at one of the places I worked and they had to use up to 2 weeks holiday per year for exercises that interfered with their working week.
But the company gave them time off for any training/exercises relating to operational tours, and the tours themselves. They earnt holiday when on ops too, and payroll department helped them regarding tax claims expenses etc


Same applied for Reserves from RAF/Navy/Marines
____________________
Current Bike: 1999 Honda CB600 FX Hornet
Next Bike: I want a CBR-RR. And I want an F800 GS-A. And a VFR 800. Can I have all 3?
Dream Bikes: Honda VFR750R RC30, Honda NSR500, Ducati 996 R
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

drzsta
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:42 - 25 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I comtemplated the TA, did selection at pirbright came out with a B. Nearest unit was yeomanry Confused saw how shit it actually is at unit after 3 drill nights of powerpoint and NO PT.

Only TA unit I wanted to join were 131 but too far away
away.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Benno
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:44 - 26 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

temeluchus wrote:
Benno wrote:
I'm TA but I'm unemployed.


Why aren't you on FTRS then, you bum.


I'm busy, believe it or not, finding a civilian job. Recently that's been picking up and I have seven interviews this week having already had two today. So shut it!

Quote:
Nearest unit was yeomanry


Which one? RWxY or RY or another one? You can't really comment on how good or bad it truly is until you're actually in. In our unit the recruits do PT all night. It's pretty much all they do since there's nothing else for them to do until they've completed training! Once that's over we do GPMGs, vehicle tactics, sometimes we take the vehicles out for a drive about, sometimes we do PT ourselves (not joining in with the recruits, oh no!), all sorts of stuff. I'm on an exercise with the SRR in a few weekends time. There's a lot to do!
____________________
I'm autistic. That means I'm smarter than you.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

lihp
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:09 - 26 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend who is an officer in the TA.

Personally, I wouldn't hire somebody who is in the TA, it's too much hassle, clashes with work too often, and if they do a tour, we are left short without being able to get a replacement as it will take longer to train somebody than it would for them to return.

So, if you plan on joining the TA, don't expect every employer to be happy about it, but if I had 2 candidates for a job, being in the TA would be a deal breaker for me.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

smegballs
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:34 - 26 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
smegballs wrote:
Jesus man, they're not Mosin's...

Oil the receiver and slam your bolt in.


I tried my hardest but there was so much thick orange goop in the way that I just wasn't going to get any movement at all...

https://m3.i.pbase.com/o9/64/209564/1/152450493.3TpRVvum.mosin_nagant_9130_03_3985.jpg


@Bonny

Ze germans are about to kick your door in, so you grab a steel table leg and chunk of firewood and run into the garage to make the a crude rifle possible as quickly as possible to go and fight them off.

You manage to fight the germans off, but half your family are killed in the fight. You then get your rifle, coat it in the thickest, stickiest grease type stuff known man, box it up and leave it in a cold damp shed for 60 years before deciding it is completely obsolete and decide to flog it....

That is pretty much what you are buying Laughing

That said, altho the Mosin is a crude rifle, some are definitely better than others, with certain years (generally pre-war) being known as good ones.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 201 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 1.1 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 134.74 Kb