Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Brake caliper lacquer?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Jul 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:07 - 25 Mar 2014    Post subject: Brake caliper lacquer? Reply with quote

Hi, I'm just painting a refurbished KMX125 brake caliper, but was wondering what is the best clear coat to apply over a spray black base coat? I'm thinking I need a clear coat to protect the paint and stop it chipping off etc.

Would a high temp lacquer be best in this application, or a petrol/oil and hopefully brake fluid resistant type be better? This is the main reason I'm thinking I need it, to stop brake fluid stripping off the paint instantly.

Lastly where do people get their copper brake hose washer's from?

Thanks!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

delsol
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:46 - 25 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lacquer gives good extra protection, properly applied it is a resilient coating.

Are you using matte, gloss or satin base coat?

Choose a matte, high gloss etc. lacquer for the finish you want.

The important thing is how compatible is the lacquer with the base coat paint, I've screwed up more paint jobs than I care to remember by using incompatible paint products.

Apply second and third coats of lacquer just before the previous coat is touch dry, spray something else with the lacquer, like another bit of metal or piece of plastic to test with your finger (you just want it to be tacky and not come off on your finger) so you know when to apply the next coat to the caliper.

Ask local automotive paint shop supplier for their recommendation as to what lacquer to use with the base coat paint you have already applied.

As for high temp lacquer, sure won't go wrong, assuming you have already applied the base colour coat - is that high temp paint? if not, why bother with high temp lacquer.?

With any paint finish, always protect with rags and clean off brake fluid spillage quickly.

Brake hose washers from any local car\bike motor factors, buy a pack of ten, won't go wrong, Halfords if you want to spend lots of moolah for the same thing.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Jul 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:51 - 25 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I've used 4coats of Project paint in metallic black as I'm trying to replicate the powder coating colour on the other bits I've been doing. The caliper looks ok, but I was going to leave the paint a week to harden indoors before applying the lacquer coats.

I could use Project paint clear coat that would be compatible, or a oil/petrol resistant clear coat from another brand. the base finish is fairly gloss, but not as much as the powder coat.

If it all goes tits up, then I'll just strip it all off and paint it with brush on black hammerite instead.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 194 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 0.7 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 36.63 Kb