Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


blasting/powdercoating

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Major Doss
Traffic Copper



Joined: 09 Jan 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:13 - 25 Mar 2014    Post subject: blasting/powdercoating Reply with quote

In N London. (I know this should probably be in the SE subsection, but I do not know anyone (anytwo?) to make me a membership type happen).
Anyroadup;
Although I am aware of the PC'ers in the vicinity, I am utterly stuffed with regard to their in-house shot blasting. They all have galleries showing one or two bike wheels, but f all else to give you confidence, really. One firm says a £49.00 min charge. Would be OKish but they don't touch M'cycle alloy wheels. So, does anyone have any +\- experience of relevance?
In particular, the issue of blanking off brake caliper holes. Do it myself, leave it to them to f up? There can be a fair few.
25 years of shoddiness makes me want to try out powdercoating companies. What do you reckon takes it great (components), what not to bother with?

Who does a blinding job masking up?

Edited to clarify. Thanks to Clancy Thumbs Up

Thanks in advance.
____________________
Antisocial phucker.


Last edited by Major Doss on 23:01 - 25 Mar 2014; edited 2 times in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

clancy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:50 - 25 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm what ?

What did you actually just ask ?

Should you try powder coating yourself? I doubt you have the equipment.

If you take something to a shop to get powder coated just remove it all yourself first. Blanking off brake caliper holes on an alloy wheel ? What ?
____________________
KLX 300r
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Major Doss
Traffic Copper



Joined: 09 Jan 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:56 - 25 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not at all! I do not have the kit/knowledge. Does anyone have really, really good experiences of PC'ers in N London. That is is pretty much what I am harping on about.
____________________
Antisocial phucker.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

clancy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:09 - 25 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you take the parts in loose I doubt you'll have a problem anywhere, powder coating is powder coating really. As long as they sand blast it first not hand prep it your pretty much garunteed a good finish
____________________
KLX 300r
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:16 - 25 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine worked at The Wheel Specialist in Leeds so I'd go down whenever I needed tyres changing, or sometimes just head down on a saturday and hang about, see if there were any part worns they'd thrown out which I could use.

I've watched him do the whole lot, acid dip, shot blast and powder coat. It ain't difficult. I'd say there's much of a muchness about where to take it to, as long as the shot blasting prep is fine there shouldn't be any problem with the finish.


Not sure what you mean by caliper holes though, they'd be on forks not wheel.
____________________
Current Bike: 1999 Honda CB600 FX Hornet
Next Bike: I want a CBR-RR. And I want an F800 GS-A. And a VFR 800. Can I have all 3?
Dream Bikes: Honda VFR750R RC30, Honda NSR500, Ducati 996 R
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Major Doss
Traffic Copper



Joined: 09 Jan 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:31 - 25 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, TBH it is kinda the blasting media which can be worrisome for a biker. Shotblast is a very generic term which CAN be taken as 'I WILL fuck up your component and then have the bare faced cheek to charge you for it'.
Many variants of media are available; water, vapour, grades of 'bead', etc, as well as the aforementioned sand. Some will be more appropriate than others. Fair enough to clean out post PC, but have your threads been fucked because someone hasn't blanked off a hole? On a torque critical thread? It is the know how of the operative to know what would be applicable to the instance. You can use epoxy putty on an exhaust hole but there are more appropriate methods, for example. Brilliant! It will work, but maybe it will fail.
____________________
Antisocial phucker.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

moonzoomer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Jul 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:49 - 25 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

bern wrote:
Not at all! I do not have the kit/knowledge. Does anyone have really, really good experiences of PC'ers in N London. That is is pretty much what I am harping on about.
I can get a pair of alloy wheels powder coated any colour and shot blasted grade one for 40 quid all in , blasting and powder coating is from 2 separate companies so there is a bit of travelling to do but only 12 miles. TBH 49 quid min seems expensive.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Major Doss
Traffic Copper



Joined: 09 Jan 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:08 - 26 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it good? I am very interested! Is it a back door job, or can I walk in? Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Ah, I see you may be even too far from my wifey's home town of Tralee!
____________________
Antisocial phucker.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

moonzoomer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Jul 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:12 - 26 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

bern wrote:
Is it good? I am very interested! Is it a back door job, or can I walk in? Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Not good but excellent, anyone can walk in and you can get a frame done for 50 quid in any colour you want, good thing about these guys is that they are bikers themselves so know the score when masking of critical areas which is always a plus.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 194 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.5 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 61.37 Kb