|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Nipedley |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Nipedley Scooby Slapper
Joined: 09 Aug 2008 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 17:07 - 29 Mar 2014 Post subject: GS500 High Speed Fuel Starvation |
 |
|
Hi guys,
Been chasing this gremlin for a little while now - 1989 GS500e
What it does: I can accelerate up to 90mph no problem at all (and no doubt would go faster), but if I hold my speed over between 67 - 72 mph depending on how the bike is feeling that day, for more than 15 - 20 seconds, it will start to pull back (that running out of fuel feeling), start to bunny hop a bit, then slowly decelerate while the throttle makes no effect at all - just like running out of fuel. It then refuses to start until I 'PRIME' it for a while, and then we can take off. So, I presume the issue is lack of fuel
What I've done: Cleaned the carbs, twice. New float valve and seat, new fuel lines (not kinked), new fuel filter (and also ran without filter, no change). Cleaned fuel tap. Removed petcock from tank and cleaned (filter not like new but looks like it would flow fine).
I discovered as per a previous post I have large chunks of old fuel tank liner inside my fuel tank that I am unable to remove, but they shouldn't be fouling the petcock filter or flow I would seriously doubt.
So I am left with: Still dirty carbs (unlikely), faulty fuel tap? (vacuum operated), or the large chunks of old fuel tank liner are causing a problem
What do you think, or can you guys suggest anything else?
Ta very muchly
Last edited by Nipedley on 17:27 - 29 Mar 2014; edited 1 time in total |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| J.M. |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 J.M. World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Mar 2011 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Nipedley |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Nipedley Scooby Slapper
Joined: 09 Aug 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| J.M. |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 J.M. World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Mar 2011 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 17:41 - 29 Mar 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
Could you not attempt to make a plate, such that you can mount the newer fuel tap without fouling any parts?
The issue is supposedly that at high speeds, there isn't enough vacuum to draw the fuel that the bike needs for that speed. Running on prime (as prime is gravity fed only, no control via vacuum) usually resolves these issues and makes the bike run more nicely at high speeds.
The new design of petcock (2004 onwards) was supposedly better for this. I know my 2004 GS500 didn't suffer from this at high speed.
GSTwins has multiple things on it:
https://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=19363.0
https://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=36958.0 ____________________ 2004 R1 & 2018 XSR900 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| temeluchus |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 temeluchus World Chat Champion

Joined: 01 Oct 2008 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Nipedley |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Nipedley Scooby Slapper
Joined: 09 Aug 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| temeluchus |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 temeluchus World Chat Champion

Joined: 01 Oct 2008 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Coxyzxr |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Coxyzxr Brolly Dolly

Joined: 22 May 2008 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 20:06 - 29 Mar 2014 Post subject: Re: GS500 High Speed Fuel Starvation |
 |
|
| Nipedley wrote: | Hi guys,
Been chasing this gremlin for a little while now - 1989 GS500e
What it does: I can accelerate up to 90mph no problem at all (and no doubt would go faster), but if I hold my speed over between 67 - 72 mph depending on how the bike is feeling that day, for more than 15 - 20 seconds, it will start to pull back (that running out of fuel feeling), start to bunny hop a bit, then slowly decelerate while the throttle makes no effect at all - just like running out of fuel. It then refuses to start until I 'PRIME' it for a while, and then we can take off. So, I presume the issue is lack of fuel
What I've done: Cleaned the carbs, twice. New float valve and seat, new fuel lines (not kinked), new fuel filter (and also ran without filter, no change). Cleaned fuel tap. Removed petcock from tank and cleaned (filter not like new but looks like it would flow fine).
I discovered as per a previous post I have large chunks of old fuel tank liner inside my fuel tank that I am unable to remove, but they shouldn't be fouling the petcock filter or flow I would seriously doubt.
So I am left with: Still dirty carbs (unlikely), faulty fuel tap? (vacuum operated), or the large chunks of old fuel tank liner are causing a problem
What do you think, or can you guys suggest anything else?
Ta very muchly |
GS500 fuel caps where a bit finnicky with allowing enough air in at high speeds, after a high speed run (safely!) try pulling over and opening the tank cap and listen for the suck sound. It could be the vent for that is blocked.
Other suspects would be as you suggest the vaccuum diaphragm, make sure it's not pinched or perished anywhere, it's a 1989 and fuel hoses/carb hoses are the things that RARELY get serviced. ____________________ **WAS FITTED "WRONG WAY ROUND" !** CANT ACCOUNT FOR THE STUPID ! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Nipedley |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Nipedley Scooby Slapper
Joined: 09 Aug 2008 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 01:29 - 30 Mar 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
Thank you guys I read on GStwins a bit more about the vacuum part of the tap, apparently there's supposed to be some sort of check valve in there I remember mine being a bent gooey mess, so that may well be the problem
Got a NOS tap on the way that will fit, going to blow through the tank petcock with compressed air and also going to clean out the tank cap vent's - if that doesn't do it, well... I'll probably be back for more suggestions
Thanks everyone!  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| mysterious_rider |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 mysterious_rider World Chat Champion

Joined: 11 Sep 2010 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 12 years, 191 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|