Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


TS50X 1998 Won't fire.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

CurtisBowden
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 30 Mar 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:43 - 30 Mar 2014    Post subject: TS50X 1998 Won't fire. Reply with quote

Hi guys,
I've recently got a TS50X. When I got it, it needed bits doing to it, chain and sprockets, throttle cable, little bits like that.
After doing it all, I've had her done for around a week.
The fourth or fifth time I kicked her over, she started.

However, it revved uncontrollably. Realising this was probably down to the carb, I took it off and saw the slide was a tad stuck. I sanded down the inside with some VERY fine sandpaper, and made it smoother.

Kicking it over again, it started and this time I was in control. Unfortunately, she flooded. Randomly whilst running, and ever since then it will not start! I've adjusted the floats, I've changed the spark plug, I've gone through all the connections and I have a huge spark. But whenever I take out the spark plug it stinks of fuel etc.

Doesn't start or even try. I've tried bump starting, starting in second and running it down a hill, heating the spark plug. Trying a different spark plug. Checking the coil. That's all fine. But it's always flooded.

I'm lacking ideas and I would love some help.
I've looked up new carbs, and not only are they very rare, they are also very expensive.

This isn't an option.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

davebike
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Nov 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:32 - 30 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check you have a spark if so
Check main bearings
Remove the left hand engine covers over the flywheel/rotor
Hold the rotor and try to move it in / out, up / down forwards/backwards if it moves at all other than rotating the main bearings and the seals need replacing common on a two stroke that not been used fro a year or more

Dave
____________________
Dave
NC750Xdct + others at work !
[email protected]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

CurtisBowden
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 30 Mar 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:48 - 30 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a spark, and main bearings are fine.

Spark is a nice big blue one, and gives you quite a jolt if you hole it. Has a new battery etc.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:19 - 30 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must have been about 8 years ago now, so take this as such, but I'm sure with my ts50x I had some similar issues. If I remember right I was getting a good spark when kicked over but it wouldn't run, I think it turned out to be a dead battery causing issues somehow. Might be worth a quick check.
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

CurtisBowden
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 30 Mar 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:27 - 30 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add, it has great compression etc.

Battery is brand new as well. So I'm afraid it can't be that. All connections are fine etc.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:42 - 30 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it has good compression and a strong spark then you're more or less left with the air/fuel mixture. You say it stinks of petrol, is there a problem in the carb? Worn float jet maybe.

You can narrow it down to a fuel/air issue by running it one something like this: Easy start spray.
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 192 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 0.68 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 48.66 Kb