Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Off Road schools in New Zealand?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

thx1138
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:51 - 23 Mar 2014    Post subject: Off Road schools in New Zealand? Reply with quote

I am going to New Zealand, north island, in May 2015. Around 3 weeks stay, and would like to spend a day or two off roading. Anyone done it, anyone recommend anyplace?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

michael j
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:17 - 23 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Came back from nz a few weeks ago, I went out with pure dirt tours in Rotorua, was a tad expensive. Went out on a drz400 and was the only customer. Had a real blast and would recommend it but it's been a while since I rode offroad and after an hour I was shattered. I'd definitely recommend it also try the luge at rotovegas, it's excellent. Thumbs Up
____________________
Ducati 996
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:09 - 23 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been in New Zealand since last May, in the North Island and will be going back out to live there again this year, but never got round to doing any off roading. I want to though so will keep an eye on the thread.

I did see that there were a lot (or what I thought were a lot) of companies offering Dirt Bike tours, which they say you only need to be "reasonably competent" on a bike but not necessarily have a licence. That suggests the focus will be more on touring than tough biking. These were mostly in the South Island though, around Queenstown in particular.

Might be a good compromise, get to see some spectacular scenery rather than just doing tough runs with not much of a view.

I think there are a few that run out of Taupo.

michael j wrote:
Came back from nz a few weeks ago, I went out with pure dirt tours in Rotorua, was a tad expensive. Went out on a drz400 and was the only customer. Had a real blast and would recommend it but it's been a while since I rode offroad and after an hour I was shattered. I'd definitely recommend it also try the luge at rotovegas, it's excellent. Thumbs Up


The luge at Rotorua is good. Until you do the luge at Queenstown. Now that's a luge.
____________________
Current Bike: 1999 Honda CB600 FX Hornet
Next Bike: I want a CBR-RR. And I want an F800 GS-A. And a VFR 800. Can I have all 3?
Dream Bikes: Honda VFR750R RC30, Honda NSR500, Ducati 996 R
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Phil_Norwich
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 02 Mar 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:45 - 26 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was travelling New Zealand I did a days off road roading in the South Island, just out of Christchurch. Considering I've never ridden off road before the guy was very helpful.

As its been said there's quite a lot of these companies around, New Zealand is pretty much made for it! I would have done some riding in the North but I was getting pretty broke around then! I heard of pure dirt bike tours when I was in Rotorua, they were recommended I just didn't have the funds.
____________________
1990 VFR400 NC30 - 1992 Suzuki Goose
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:18 - 31 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one looks promising, a little bit pricey, but
https://www.puredirttours.co.nz/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hmmmnz
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:28 - 02 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hired a bike out of christchurch once and went offroading in the southern alps, was pretty cool, was unguided though,
shame im over here, i normally have a couple of dirt bikes in my fleet in nz and could have taken you out,
bear in mind may is coming on to winter, and despite what people think nz does get bloody cold
____________________
the humans are dead
I kick arse for the lord
Wiring Diagrams BIDNIP it bitches
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:46 - 06 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, we are going late April now, late April to last day of May. Going straight there, and then visiting Australia and Singapore on the way home.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:08 - 18 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

updated plans, mid April, south island, then north island, then Australia, then Singapore

six weeks in all.

hope to do an off road school in south and north, with maybe a quad bike day someplace too
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:12 - 17 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

now I've started to flesh out the details, leave circa Apr 21 return about June 5th

I need to start thinking about travel insurance, can anyone recommend anything that isn't a killjoy when it comes to doing stuff?

motorbikes, canoeing, etc?

as I type this I see a banner had for Holiday Safe I shall check that out
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

rogerdodger
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 20 Jul 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:07 - 22 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

was just going through some old bookmarks and found this forum again. Havent been here since 2011.

Where in Aus are you going? If you come up to Cairns I can probably hook you up for the ride of your life to Cape York the most iconic dirt bike ride in Australia. There are loads of guys that ride here and can possibly get you a loaner bike, (are you bringing your own gear?) We ride mostly enduros, with about 10% on road, but some are total off road rides.

I'll try and post a couple of pics.

https://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j324/rogerbranch/motorcycling/Aus%20dirt%20bike%20riding/IMG_6151_zps2c6092fc.jpg

https://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j324/rogerbranch/motorcycling/Aus%20dirt%20bike%20riding/IMG_6166_cropped_zps34453c26.jpg

https://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j324/rogerbranch/motorcycling/Aus%20dirt%20bike%20riding/IMG_6189_cropped_zpse4cd401f.jpg
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

rogerdodger
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 20 Jul 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:10 - 22 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
now I've started to flesh out the details, leave circa Apr 21 return about June 5th

I need to start thinking about travel insurance, can anyone recommend anything that isn't a killjoy when it comes to doing stuff?

motorbikes, canoeing, etc?

as I type this I see a banner had for Holiday Safe I shall check that out


Don't quote me on this but from memory NZ has amazing medical and you are I think covered with a reciprocal agreement for both NZ and Aus, but check to make sure, it wouldnt cover you for medical return flights to UK if needed.

Also depending how much time you are giving yourself in Singapore, if you take a trip up to Kuala Lumpur ($50 on the train and sometimes cheaper to fly) I know some awesome guys there that run a motorcycle tour company and can take you on a great day or multi day ride to some fantastic balls out mountain road riding.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:10 - 17 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info there

sadly, won't have time to ride in Aus or Singapore

so far have confirmed bookings with
https://www.puredirttours.co.nz in Rotorua

and
https://www.kapitifourx4.co.nz in Paraparaumu (Quad bikes)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:28 - 18 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

world wide travel insurance, "extreme adventure package" sorted. Over £350 though Shocked
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 196 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 0.95 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 79.52 Kb