Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Neck Tubes

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Neck Tubes ....
I have one of them!
92%
 92%  [ 76 ]
Nope, Nope NOOOPPPEEE
7%
 7%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 82

Author Message

Rogue_Shadow
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:40 - 12 Apr 2014    Post subject: Neck Tubes Reply with quote

Hello!

I'm shopping for a new neck tube as my current one is naff
/End Thread
Laughing

Most of the neck tubes I see around aren't made of a wind proof material so become pointless for longer rides.
Before I changed Lid, I used to wear a balaclava. However with the padding on my Caberg being so snug, it becomes impossible to position as it drags it down as you put the Lid on.
Ideally I'm looking a windproof neck tube with enough length to cover my neck, unlike the cheap "Black" neck tube I tried.

What say you BCF ... What are you wearing? Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:43 - 12 Apr 2014    Post subject: Re: Neck Tubes Reply with quote

Rogue_Shadow wrote:

What say you BCF ... What are you wearing? Wink


Free Suzuki one.
____________________
Honda CBF125 ➝ NC700X
Honda CBF125 ↳ Speed Triple
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:48 - 12 Apr 2014    Post subject: Re: Neck Tubes Reply with quote

Rogue_Shadow wrote:


Most of the neck tubes I see around aren't made of a wind proof material so become pointless for longer rides.:


Have you actually ever tried one? I never ride without a neck tube these days. Ultra light weight and do not interfere with turning your head with the helmet on and they do cut the wind out.

I've never been wet enough to ever have the neck tube get soaked so being waterproof is a non issue and I have ridden in some seriously wet weather including that spate of storms we had in Feb where we had horizontal rain.

I've found they cut the wind completely and the one time I forgot to grab a clean one (because I have lots) I could really feel the wind blowing around my neck and down the top of my jacket.

Every year Oxford give away free 3 packs, all you have to do is pay postage of around £2.50 and I, along with many BCF people stock up.
____________________
illuminateTHEmind wrote: I am just more evolved than most of you guys... this allows me to pick of things quickly which would have normally taken the common man years to master
Hockeystorm65:.well there are childish arguments...there are very childish arguments.....there are really stupid childish arguments and now there are......Pinkfloyd arguments!
Teflon-Mike:I think I agree with just about all Pinky has said.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogue_Shadow
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:49 - 12 Apr 2014    Post subject: Re: Neck Tubes Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
Rogue_Shadow wrote:

What say you BCF ... What are you wearing? Wink


Free Suzuki one.


If I got mine I might not of made this thread Evil or Very Mad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogue_Shadow
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:58 - 12 Apr 2014    Post subject: Re: Neck Tubes Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:
Have you actually ever tried one?


Ummm yes Neutral
It's why I made this thread, to find one worth keeping Thumbs Up

pinkyfloyd wrote:

Every year Oxford give away free 3 packs, all you have to do is pay postage of around £2.50 and I, along with many BCF people stock up.


Ooooh where /when do they hold the giveaway?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:02 - 12 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give away is normally around spring. So anytime really. I think at last count I had around 7 of the tubes, I've been known to give one to friends now and then. I have spares in my bike gear store and spares in my drawer.
____________________
illuminateTHEmind wrote: I am just more evolved than most of you guys... this allows me to pick of things quickly which would have normally taken the common man years to master
Hockeystorm65:.well there are childish arguments...there are very childish arguments.....there are really stupid childish arguments and now there are......Pinkfloyd arguments!
Teflon-Mike:I think I agree with just about all Pinky has said.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

hedgehugger
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Nov 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:02 - 12 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have several neck tubes.
As well as the free Suzuki one, depending on freeziness, I either use a wooly one bought from Lidl, or an Edz yeti one. I love the yeti and wear it all winter off the bike too.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/EDZ-Yeti-Extra-Warm-Thermal/dp/B001U7R60O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1397296847&sr=8-3&keywords=edz+yeti

Too warm for this time of year though Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:18 - 12 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a polar buff Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer



Joined: 03 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:23 - 12 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you want a free one?

I have more than I can use
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

-Monty-
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Apr 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:29 - 12 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with pinkyfloyd. I also use the free oxford neck tubes which are not made of water proof or wind proof material and I have never felt the need to buy anything better.

The only time I imagine you would want something better is if you rode with an open face helmet as there is no chin bar to shelter the neck tube.
____________________
Present: [Kawasaki ZX7r][Suzuki DRZ 400s]
Past: [Honda PCX 125] [Yamaha RXS 100] [Honda CB 500] [Triumph Speed Four] [Honda ST1100 Pan European - Po-Po Edition]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling TerrorOutOfOffice
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:30 - 12 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neck tubes are so commonplace they're considered the modern day equivalent of the 'glop-sock'....Aren't they? Shifty
____________________
Diabolical homemade music Bandcamp and Soundcloud
Singer songwriter, Artist and allround good bloke Listen to Andrew Susan Johnston here
The Harry Turner Project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mudcow007
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:33 - 12 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

my berghaus one is polartec an pretty warm

i think it was only a tenner
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The999Kid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:36 - 12 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Free one from fast bikes mag, it's lasted me 4 years and still as useful as ever
____________________
NDB 19/10/1989 - 1/11/2010 |Nowhere.Elyseum wrote: I get the distinct feeling that Tim should be our secret weapon for future trolling. I don't know many people that can rip the piss in Iambic pentameter
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Doovy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Jul 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:38 - 12 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still use one of the ones I got from the Oxford 3 pack special, someone bought for me years ago. Just keeps a bit of a wind chill off on those colder mornings. Easy to fold up and weighs nothing. Simple to wash too.

https://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/m-7O0iyYUWkn9wLCM23Ui0g.jpg
____________________
Yamaha RXS 100 > Honda CD 250 > Honda Hornet 600 > Honda CBR 600RR > Yamaha RXS 100 > Kawasaki ZX6R J2 > Yamaha FZ1
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave70
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:40 - 12 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never tried one but then again, I've never really found a great need for one either and I ride all year round, as the bike's my only form of transport.

Maybe I don't know what im missing out on Thinking

I did send off for one of those free Suzuki ones but, nothing ever materialised from that. Sad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Moo.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:02 - 12 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a draw full of them from all the free giveaways, usually wear one all the time Very Happy

Never had one get soaked in anyweather, seems to stay out of it.

Just get a pack of three and if its cold where them all Very Happy
____________________
A2 Passed 18/6/10
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Doovy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Jul 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:35 - 12 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave70 wrote:
I've never tried one but then again, I've never really found a great need for one either and I ride all year round, as the bike's my only form of transport.

Maybe I don't know what im missing out on Thinking


So do I. Some mornings it's possible get a cold neck, resulting in a sore throat, if it's particularly frosty or chilly out, I've found.
____________________
Yamaha RXS 100 > Honda CD 250 > Honda Hornet 600 > Honda CBR 600RR > Yamaha RXS 100 > Kawasaki ZX6R J2 > Yamaha FZ1
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:56 - 12 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freebie 3 pack of Oxford jobbies. Some magazine must be due to do another one soon.
____________________
Chances are quite high you are not in my Monkeysphere, and I don't care about you. Don't take it personally.
Currently : Royal Enfield 350 Meteor
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

BrownTrousers
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 08 Sep 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:13 - 12 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple of cheap ones and the only thing that separates then from each other is that one has a seam and is consequently not quite as comfy.

That said, on the odd day that I forget to wear one, I realise they are probably my single favourite item of bike gear. For most short rides I can cope with shitty gloves or boots etc. But having a warm neck and less wind noise is just awesome.
____________________
Bikers make great organ donors - add your name to the register
Ducati Multistrada 950 | Triumph Tiger 800 XR | Honda CBR500R | Yamaha YBR 125 Custom
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Sep 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:40 - 12 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrownTrousers wrote:
I have a couple of cheap ones and the only thing that separates then from each other is that one has a seam and is consequently not quite as comfy.

That said, on the odd day that I forget to wear one, I realise they are probably my single favourite item of bike gear. For most short rides I can cope with shitty gloves or boots etc. But having a warm neck and less wind noise is just awesome.


Could you not just turn it inside out so the seam is outside and not against your skin.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Sep 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:40 - 12 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrownTrousers wrote:
I have a couple of cheap ones and the only thing that separates then from each other is that one has a seam and is consequently not quite as comfy.

That said, on the odd day that I forget to wear one, I realise they are probably my single favourite item of bike gear. For most short rides I can cope with shitty gloves or boots etc. But having a warm neck and less wind noise is just awesome.


Could you not just turn it inside out so the seam is outside and not against your skin.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:33 - 12 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

After years of messing around with buffs and tubes and bears, oh my, I've settled on a Frank Thomas Body Shield for winter use (i.e. September to May).

https://www.jsaccessories.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/300x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/f/t/ftant123.jpg

No gaps so no drafts, properly long, slightly elasticated at the top so it stays more or less where you put it.

I was out in it today in an open face lid in a lashing gale and it did a bang up job. Probably the best value £14 I've spent on biking.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Az
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:57 - 12 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Oxford balaclava does a good job, even though it's thin it still keeps my face and neck pretty warm.

Bought it from Halfords about a 8 months ago and its still in reasonable condition, no fading or holes etc'.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 May 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:13 - 12 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought a few, didn't rate them much, either wrong fit or wrong material so made my own, sewing is easy. Smile
____________________
The above post is most likely nonsensical.

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

waffles
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:31 - 12 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for the free Oxford ones, plus they make good emergency pirate bandanas should you feel the need to both swash and buckle. You can double them up if needs be and they are dead easy to chuck in the wash if they get a bit grubby.

Anyone know if there is another offer on them going on? I need to stock up again.
____________________
Theory test - 19/8/09, CBT - 11/10/09, MOD 1 - 16/8/10, MOD 2 - 27/10/10
Past rides Yamaha XT125X, Triumph TT600, Honda XR250
Current rides Suzuki GSXR 600, Honda MSX125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 177 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.61 - MySQL Queries: 15 - Page Size: 133.51 Kb