Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Das schools

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Corky25
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 10 Apr 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:53 - 26 Apr 2014    Post subject: Das schools Reply with quote

Hi folks I wanted to ask for your opinions/recommendations for any DAS schools near the Hatfield area. I'm not originally from Hatfield myself (Northern Ireland) so my knowledge of the schools is what the web sites tell me. So wanted to know who to go to? Planning to start in middle of May. Or even who to aviod if need be.

Bit of information on me
Currently riding a ybr for the last six months (all weather)
Just turned 26 so DAS open to myself
Want to get over with soon as (after a non bike accident left unable to ride for over a year) so looking at the week long courses 4-5 days

thanks for any advice guys
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

DaveB
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 06 Aug 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:37 - 26 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done mine with Camrider in Harlow, good bunch there. Not too far away Smile
____________________
Mod 2 passed 26/10/2011
Current ride: 2014 Triumph Street Triple R. Previous, 2007 Triumph Daytona 675, 2007 Triumph Street Triple, 2011 Derbi GPR125r.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Richy CB1000
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 06 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:59 - 27 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could try SBT Works Road Letchworth, contact Alan they have a site. The test centres a good one plus decent examiners
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Corky25
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 10 Apr 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:05 - 27 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys will look into them. The ones I've looked at so far have mixed or little reviews. As for the mixed reviews I know some of the bad is just people having strop. The main thing I'm looking for is a good instructor, my cbt instructor didnt have a great temper which made life so much harder.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

awicks
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 14 Sep 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:59 - 30 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my CBT and DAS with https://www.angliabikecompany.com/, which is based in Harlow in July (CBT) and Sept (DAS) 2012.

They have their own road course, so you can practice bike handling to your heart's content without having to worry about other road users etc. I had never ridden a motorbike (or scooter) before my CBT and went on to pass both Mod1 and Mod2 on the 4th day of the course. The other guy on my course also passed both tests on the 4th day.

To me it felt like they taught me how to ride a bike confidently and safely, rather than just how to pass my tests.

Highly recommended!

Andy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ballpien
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 13 Aug 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:04 - 30 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

awicks wrote:
I did my CBT and DAS with https://www.angliabikecompany.com/, which is based in Harlow in July (CBT) and Sept (DAS) 2012.

They have their own road course, so you can practice bike handling to your heart's content without having to worry about other road users etc. I had never ridden a motorbike (or scooter) before my CBT and went on to pass both Mod1 and Mod2 on the 4th day of the course. The other guy on my course also passed both tests on the 4th day.

To me it felt like they taught me how to ride a bike confidently and safely, rather than just how to pass my tests.

Highly recommended!

Andy


Expensive though...£700 including £60 insurance waiver for a DAS course
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Doomsnite
Traffic Copper



Joined: 19 Nov 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:51 - 01 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my CBT with SBT in Letchworth and Alan is a good guy and their DAS is cheapest in the area. I am looking at doing it on a per lesson basis though and Vision in St Albans has come up cheapest so i have my first lesson on Monday.. £54 for 2hrs. Hopefully if he thinks im any good i wont need top many of them and come in a lot cheaper than an intensive
____________________
Triumph Street Triple-R
Sold: Honda Hornet CB600F-Y / Yamaha YBR125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Corky25
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 10 Apr 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:13 - 02 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the recommendations guys will look into to them. The price is not my first concern. Obviously I wont pay silly money but a good instructor is worth their money. What I am looking for is the type of instrctor who wants you to pass not treating you as a customer. Doomsnite can you let me know how you get on with the lesson. With them being so close they are one of the groups I'm looking into and fingers crossed you can get away with fewer lessons.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Richy CB1000
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 06 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:22 - 02 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do know these guys at SBT personally but am not connected business wise, I might be a tad biased but the whole outfit including John and Ralph (XR1200 race series mech) next door for repairs etc.. (who BTW are the only ones I'll let near my bike) are just down to earth.

Arrange to go up there for a chat, you might be pleasantly surprised my eldest lad is autistic but loves bikes. Alan let him sit, prod, poke around the scoots in the shop so he could just dream a bit about riding, just plain good guys there.

Alan "re taught" a friend of mine after a test fail, there were some points lacking which he fixed, she passed and paid a fair price for his services.

Letchworth is my major car test centre, it's a nice relaxed one, good area for a test, Andy the bike examiner is totally professional.

In the interest of some balance there's also A&M just up the road and Motag so one visit chat to all three!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Doomsnite
Traffic Copper



Joined: 19 Nov 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:30 - 02 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corky25 wrote:
Thanks for the recommendations guys will look into to them. The price is not my first concern. Obviously I wont pay silly money but a good instructor is worth their money. What I am looking for is the type of instrctor who wants you to pass not treating you as a customer. Doomsnite can you let me know how you get on with the lesson. With them being so close they are one of the groups I'm looking into and fingers crossed you can get away with fewer lessons.

Will do. Good training is important for me too but I wont deny cost is a factor. With 3 day DAS being £495 inc test fees. if I can get away with 4x 2hr lessons before doing my test, I would have saved £200. SBT do lessons too but were slightly more at £35 per hour.
____________________
Triumph Street Triple-R
Sold: Honda Hornet CB600F-Y / Yamaha YBR125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Doomsnite
Traffic Copper



Joined: 19 Nov 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:02 - 05 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did my lesson with Paul... nice bloke. Did a bit of classroom then out on a GS500. Wasnt shy in telling me wasnt doing but no shouting and was patient. Also said well done on things too which i thought was good so i didnt get too disheartened haha. Out on. 650 next he said which is what ill do the test on.
____________________
Triumph Street Triple-R
Sold: Honda Hornet CB600F-Y / Yamaha YBR125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Corky25
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 10 Apr 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:48 - 06 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds pretty good, are you going with the lessons then? If the 650 is an orange er6 I think I passed him on Sunday. Made a point of nodding to me so either is trying to do his bit for the biking community or maybe trying to chase up work haha
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Doomsnite
Traffic Copper



Joined: 19 Nov 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:22 - 06 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not seen the bike but I think I heard it was an ER6. Yeah I'm going to stick with the lessons, hopefully I wont need too many but will ask him next time after a full 2hrs riding how he feels I am. Will have another one in 2 weeks.

The test will be in Enfield if you use them. I know that SBT use the Cambridge test centre. Not sure if that makes much difference.
____________________
Triumph Street Triple-R
Sold: Honda Hornet CB600F-Y / Yamaha YBR125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 155 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.48 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 75.78 Kb