Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Need Advice

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Darth-Simba
Nova Slayer



Joined: 02 Oct 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:52 - 02 Jun 2014    Post subject: Need Advice Reply with quote

I am finally making the switch to a geared bike. I have my eyes on either a Yamaha YBR 125 or a Honba CBF 125. I was hoping for so help in choosing, I like the more upright position on the YBR but the CBF looks a lot nicer.
____________________
Yamaha YBR 125cc 11 plate
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Baffler186
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 May 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:58 - 02 Jun 2014    Post subject: Re: Need Advice Reply with quote

Darth-Simba wrote:
I am finally making the switch to a geared bike. I have my eyes on either a Yamaha YBR 125 or a Honba CBF 125. I was hoping for so help in choosing, I like the more upright position on the YBR but the CBF looks a lot nicer.


I've only had a CBF, mine gave me no trouble. BUT the YBR has a much better name in terms of reliability and build quality. CBF suffered heavy corrosion if not pampered, and many had fuel pump and electrical issues. Unsure of the issues, if any, with YBRs
____________________
Current: 2009 SV650 S, 1990 Kawasaki GT550
Previous: 2009 CBF125, 1998 GSF600, 2004 FZ6 Fazer, 1978 CB400a Hondamatic
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Nov 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:05 - 02 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the YBR125 and would recommend it. If looks are that important to you though, go for the CBF, there's not much difference between them really.
____________________
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa, hey-hey,
the men in white coats are coming to take me away.
Yamaha Vity -> YBR125 -> FZS600 Fazer -> FZ1-S Fazer
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mark65
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 May 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:08 - 02 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

YBR, I had one, my brother had one then got CBF which rusted like shit so he got another YBR. Or a nice low mileage CG Wink
____________________
07 Yamaha YBR125, 07 Honda CG125 , 15 CBR300R (Chocolate Crank, Deaded), 16 CB500FA, 19 Honda Forza 300, 70 Suzuki SV650
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:34 - 02 Jun 2014    Post subject: Re: Need Advice Reply with quote

Darth-Simba wrote:
I like the more upright position on the YBR but the CBF looks a lot nicer.

Do you intend to ride it, or polish it?
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Stewie
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 25 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:57 - 02 Jun 2014    Post subject: Re: Need Advice Reply with quote

Darth-Simba wrote:
I like the more upright position


If you like the upright riding position, why not opt for a Honda Varadero
https://www.motorcyclenews.com/upload/272157/images/2011-varadero-125.jpg
or the much nicer Derbi Terra or Terra Adventure. Very Happy
https://derbi-deutschland.de/uploads/images/d_2007/prod_pics/senda_125_terra_farbe1_300.jpg
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bikertomm
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:05 - 02 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or the XR 125 Wink

Loved mine. Cheap & reliable.


https://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o520/bikerrtomm/Main_zps3600cd1b.jpg
____________________
07' Honda Hornet now full powaah! My guide on performing an oil change!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:39 - 02 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have had neither but contemplated the same bikes before opting to go for DAS. From what I've read they're just as reliable as each other, just comes down to how you use and maintain them.

FWIW, To me the YBR Custom is the best looking of the lot.
____________________
GSXR 600 K6 - Stolen
GSXR 600 K6 - Stolen
MT09 - Almost stolen
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robster
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:18 - 02 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got an old, slightly fucked Varadero, love it to bits. Comfy and easy to ride, and feels bigger than a 125 Thumbs Up

XR was a tad on the bouncy side for me when I tried, I learnt what 'Fork Dive' was with that!
____________________
Up the bum no babies.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Jan 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:24 - 02 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vara is taller than the YBR by about 10cm seat height but à good bike

Out of the two you suggest then the yammy as the Honda might come with pre rust
____________________
Looking to pass your CBT / Bike tests in Bury Lancashire? try www.focusridertraining.co.uk Would recommend.
They're also on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Focus-Rider-Training/196832923734251
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave70
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:42 - 02 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the recent reputation that has developed with the CBR and rust, I'd steer clear of them. YBR is a decent reliable bike but, maybe a bit on the small side, depending on how tall you are. If that is the case, you could try the Varadero or even the R125 if you're feeling flush and won't drop it. Also the R125 is not so good if you prefer an upright position.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Knacker
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Mar 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:05 - 02 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

bikertomm wrote:


I Second this, Fantastic bikes If I didnt have 3 already I'd definitely have 1.
____________________
Current: Gsxr 600 Srad - GS125 - DT125
Previous: K1 GSXR 1000
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
MC This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Darth-Simba
Nova Slayer



Joined: 02 Oct 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:03 - 03 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice guys, I think I will go with with the YBR. As for my height, I am 5'8 so don't want a really big bike.
____________________
Yamaha YBR 125cc 11 plate
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bikertomm
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:13 - 03 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suprisingly, the XR's seat height is only 6cm higher than the YBR.

I wouldn't rule it out on that - I could flat foot it with ease and I was 5' 10.

Thumbs Up
____________________
07' Honda Hornet now full powaah! My guide on performing an oil change!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 122 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 0.62 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 86.24 Kb