Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Chain in tank bag?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

illuminateTHE...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Jul 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:30 - 01 Jun 2014    Post subject: Chain in tank bag? Reply with quote

ELLO ello.

I'm just wondering has anyone tried to transport a 1.5m almax3 chain within a tank bag.
I either have to transport my chain in a rucksack, or buy a multiple almax chains and leave them at destination I visit frequently. This is not convenient.
____________________
Theory: PASSED Module 1: PASSED Module 2: PASSED 12/2012!!!

yzf r125 [SOLD] sv650 [CURRENT]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Crz
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 07 Aug 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:09 - 01 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Not entirely relevant to your initial question but...

Have you thought about a kriega US10. I've got the same chain as you and it fits pretty much perfect in the US10 and still has a bit of room for things like disc lock etc...

https://www.kriega.com/us-10-drybag/

* I do not work for kriega Mr. Green
____________________
Theory: 8/7/13 Mod 1: 26/7/13 Mod 2: 21/8/13

"Life is like a garden, plant your seed in every hole you see"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

hedgehugger
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Nov 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:22 - 01 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to carry my chain in a tankbag. The only thing is the tank on my bike was too small for the bag, so I used to bungee it over the seat.

I too have a Kriega now. It came free with the Almax.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

1198
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Jan 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:19 - 01 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above, I use the spare seat to secure a tankbag to. I'm not sure a heavy chain will do the tank any good!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:24 - 01 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tank bag will be fine. I've had a 2m x 16mm chain in one (8.5kg).

However, I prefer to carry it in a tail bag on the pillion seat. That's where the bike is designed to carry the weight. It's also handy for when there's nothing to lock the bike onto: I loop it through the rear wheel, back up to the bag, and lock it off there, rather than having it trailing on the ground.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

illuminateTHE...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Jul 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:17 - 01 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys leave the bag attached to your bike overnight?
____________________
Theory: PASSED Module 1: PASSED Module 2: PASSED 12/2012!!!

yzf r125 [SOLD] sv650 [CURRENT]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Diddylord
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 04 Jul 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:02 - 01 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried carrying my chain in a tank bag but found it had a tendency to slip around on the tank and wasn't very nice to ride with.

I now also use a Kreiga tail pack which is alot better, I just leave the strats and tabe the bag off.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:04 - 01 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

illuminateTHEmind wrote:
You guys leave the bag attached to your bike overnight?

Sure I do.

You leave your bike outside overnight?
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:22 - 01 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to carry it in a tank bag, coil it as flat as possible, so that the weight is low and it doesn't slide from side to side.

I know how heavy Almax chains are so it could easily disrupt your riding... or if it slides it could overcome the strength of the magnets if your tank bag is of the magnetic persuasion.

Tailpack on the pillion seat might be more suitable, especially if you can secure the pack with straps or bungees to make it more secure. Certainly I'd prefer to do that than a tank bag or rucksack.
____________________
Current Bike: 1999 Honda CB600 FX Hornet
Next Bike: I want a CBR-RR. And I want an F800 GS-A. And a VFR 800. Can I have all 3?
Dream Bikes: Honda VFR750R RC30, Honda NSR500, Ducati 996 R
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:58 - 01 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go over a bump, of which there are many, dent tank.

Great times Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

-Matt-
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Apr 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:43 - 01 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't fancy one in a tank bag.

I've used something un-branded very similar to this for a long time.

Big enough to get the chain in but tight and low enough to keep it secure and stable.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorbike-Motorcycle-Essential-Collection-Mini-Tail-Pack-Bag-By-Autokicker-/221359658393?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item338a105599
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

recman
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:50 - 01 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's all this talk of chains in bags? MTFU!
https://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh10/torty_2008/Ghost-Rider-007_zps274b6e74.jpg
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kierran
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 18 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:55 - 02 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done the rucksack, tank bag and ghost rider. Got to say I much prefer fixing the tank bag as a tail pack and laying it flat within. Much more secure over long distance.
____________________
Im not driving too fast, Im flying too low!
Current Bike - GSXR 750 K5
Current Car - BMW 318i
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:39 - 02 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put my chain wrapped in a towel into my tankbag. It worked.

Then when I was putting the chain into the bag, the lock slipped and knocked into my tank ... small dent there now.

Remember that risk
____________________
I'm Sam; Northern, Ginger, Lover
Did have: '95 ZZR600 '83 CG125 '97 ZZR1100 '15 Hypermotard 821 SP Do Have: '10 ZX10R
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer



Joined: 01 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:31 - 02 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:


I used to carry my chains like this for years. Now I have a top box.
____________________
Famous last words of Humpty Dumpty. " Stop pushing me "
Petty Anarchists look at "1984".............. The Visionary looks at "Animal Farm".
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer



Joined: 03 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:26 - 02 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

LlamaFarmer wrote:

I know how heavy Almax chains are so it could easily disrupt your riding... or if it slides it could overcome the strength of the magnets if your tank bag is of the magnetic persuasion.


Naaaa it be 'reet

Top half of the bag:
https://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk301/arryR32/Picture020-3.jpg

Bottom half:
https://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk301/arryR32/Picture021-3.jpg


Sure affected my riding after the bottles and tins got lighter, though Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:25 - 03 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty tightly packed though, unlikely to move around...
____________________
Current Bike: 1999 Honda CB600 FX Hornet
Next Bike: I want a CBR-RR. And I want an F800 GS-A. And a VFR 800. Can I have all 3?
Dream Bikes: Honda VFR750R RC30, Honda NSR500, Ducati 996 R
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

orac
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Sep 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:20 - 03 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh i do this with my oxford chain, its handy as it works if have to carry a pillion, they will not havea confy ride if they have tp sit on it on the rear seat
____________________
Current rides - 2016 Triumph Street Triple Rx, 1994 Suzuki Bandit 400 VM, TGB 204 Classic 125cc
"with nothing left to lose, there is everything to gain. It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:55 - 03 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above, prefer to have stuff like chains in tail pack. IMHO tank bag not suitable. Prefer lighter stuff in there, stuff that I want readily to hand.

Also when touring tank bag usually gets taken off and used as a man-bag when walking around seeing stuff (as camera, phone, documents usually in it). Other luggage left on the bike.
____________________
...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger? Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 122 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 1.56 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 102.33 Kb