Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


do dubble bubble screens make a difference?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

tmsjns
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 29 Jun 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:44 - 01 Jul 2014    Post subject: do dubble bubble screens make a difference? Reply with quote

Hi i have a little cbr 125 and planning on keeping it for commuting my 50 miles a day, Anyway so Ive seen these double bubble screens, Do they really make a difference? I live in north wales and its pretty winding on the ride to work, Would a double bubble screen help me to not get blasted by the slight breeze?
Im thinking improved aerodynamics means a even better mpg? would a dubble bubble screen help this?
Can anyone suggest a decent one for a 2010 cbr125? airblade? puig?

cheers
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Jan 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:53 - 01 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a bike that size, I really doubt it.

Doesn't make a lot of difference on my CBR600f, just kinda pushes the wind a tiny bit higher up my chest. I take it to be because the screen is quite low and narrow, so an extra 4 inch bump does bugger all.

On something with a high and wide screen, like a FJR1300, a modification to the screen is probably a lot more noticeable.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:57 - 01 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not being a racer, I gather they are for people to tuck down behind which makes sense when you watch moto GP or the like.

I doubt you will notice much difference on a 125 unless you tucked right down. A touring screen might be better for you.
____________________
Victory Cross Country American tractor.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

tmsjns
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 29 Jun 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:03 - 01 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

A touring screen, I'll check them out, I was thining it would lift the wind off my chest but if they dont make that much differnece then I wont bother.
Cheers
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:10 - 01 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some do some don't had one on my CBR for a week, instead of the wind pushing my chest it now went into my face rotating my neck backwards.

It also whistled annoyingly.

So the old screen went back on for wind against chest.
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:36 - 01 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a double-bubble with a flip-edge and it was great for deflecting wind and rain over my head. The plain DB does it too but not so well. Anything that pushes wind around your head and torso is good for comfort and fuel consumption generally, though as said above some designs aren't as good at it as others.

My current Bandit, like several of my bikes before, has an old double bubble screen fitted to the clocks and headlight as a wind deflector.
____________________
a.k.a 'Geri'

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave500
Traffic Copper



Joined: 26 Feb 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:53 - 01 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a 125 possibly not tbh but it maybe worth a look at a MRA screen they a fantastic Smile
____________________
Bye bye Z hello Versys Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

wristjob
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:14 - 01 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

wind blast on a 125?
do you fall over if someone opens a window?
are you made of feathers?
but seriously dont waste money on a screen it wont make any difference at the speeds you travel.
i ride a naked bike and yes anything over a hundred feels like you are trying to ride through custard but you get used to it.
spend the money on beer and pies so you get to enjoy it
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:08 - 01 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

wristjob wrote:

do you fall over if someone opens a window


Laughing



I'd agree, on a 125 you're never gonna see much difference between a standard CBR screen and a double bubble, not worth the money or effort to swap.
____________________
Current Bike: 1999 Honda CB600 FX Hornet
Next Bike: I want a CBR-RR. And I want an F800 GS-A. And a VFR 800. Can I have all 3?
Dream Bikes: Honda VFR750R RC30, Honda NSR500, Ducati 996 R
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:49 - 01 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely with less power, better aero will make a bigger difference?
____________________
Bandit. does. everything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

wristjob
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:15 - 01 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

talkToTheHat wrote:
Surely with less power, better aero will make a bigger difference?

if you are doing a top speed run then yes,you might get to 65 mph and not 64mph.
normal day to day rides its going to make sod all difference
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:26 - 01 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Less drag = more speed and less fuel consumption. It always helps.
____________________
a.k.a 'Geri'

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:17 - 01 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

But at such low speeds the parasitic drag is not reduced by a particularly effective amount.

True it makes a bit of a difference, but an inconsequential difference.


At 180-190mph bombing round the IoM then a big screen deflects airflow for the riders to duck down under, it makes an effective difference.

Your average sports bike with your average sports bike rider on your average road might notice a comfort improvement, but fuel and speed will not be noticeably affected.


90% of the time, riding a 125, you won't have the speed to make for an effective aerodynamic flow improvement anyway
____________________
Current Bike: 1999 Honda CB600 FX Hornet
Next Bike: I want a CBR-RR. And I want an F800 GS-A. And a VFR 800. Can I have all 3?
Dream Bikes: Honda VFR750R RC30, Honda NSR500, Ducati 996 R
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

GrumpyGuts
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:18 - 01 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

After I dropped my ZZR (and breaking the old double bubble windshield) I could not find the seller that sold that type of screen, so I opted for a touring screen.

Don't even bother - it's allowing all the wind to blow right in my face and into my helmet - I can't hear anything past 40 mph
____________________
My Bikes: Lifan Beat 125cc '11 -> Suzuki B120P '76 -> Suzuki EN 125-2A '08 -> Honda CG 125 '04 -> Honda CB600F Hornet '98 -> Kawasaki ZZR 600 '99 -> Kawasaki GPZ 500S '95 (Current)
Theory test passed - 09/02/2012 >>>> Module 1 passed 24/07/2012 >>>> Module 2 passed 24/10/2012
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave70
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:42 - 01 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just echo what most have already said and say that you wouldn't really notice any benefit from it tbh.

Save your money and either put it towards your test/lessons or wait until you get a bigger bike and fit one to that.

Also, try lying over the tank more on your CBR and sticking your head down if the wind's a problem, as it does make some difference. I ride a R125, which is similar to the CBR and this works for me. It probably doesn't really make you go faster but, can stop the wind buffering you as much.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:24 - 02 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that the land speed record for a human powered unpaced bike is about 83mph, I think aero is significant with low power outputs.

Significantly, if it takes 14 horsepower to cruise at 70mph and a motorcycle only makes 14 horses, changes in aero drag will be immediately apparent.

If a motorcycle makes 140 horses, it will be difficult to legally explore aero-limited performance, but comfort of aero parts is a significant factor.

A screen at the wrong angle or height for a combination of motorcycle, rider and riding position is not going to be comfortable.
____________________
Bandit. does. everything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

R_Josh
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 17 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:04 - 02 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

talkToTheHat wrote:
Significantly, if it takes 14 horsepower to cruise at 70mph and a motorcycle only makes 14 horses, changes in aero drag will be immediately apparent.


You're not going from a flat face to aerodynamic. You're going from Aerodynamic to 'very-slightly-more-aerodynamic'.

I doubt the difference will noticeable with a double bubble. Saying that why don't you try one. It just maybe the sweet spot for you.
____________________
Current Bike: Honda CBR 125R R-C SUPER sports (SOLD)
Excuse my brevity
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Notj7
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 24 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:20 - 02 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely. I really miss the double bubble on my old CBR 600F. I could use one on the RR, but it'd look stupid with one on considering how low down the screen is by default.

In fact, I can't even see the speedometer because of the current screen sometimes unless I'm licking the tank Laughing
____________________
Left the forum.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Doovy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Jul 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:51 - 02 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a tinted double bubble to replace the standard clear it came with on my RR, which is quite low down, and it makes it nicer to tuck into when at speed.

I don't notice any particular change in wind blast when I'm not tucked in, although I was used to a naked Hornet for a while before putting a small screen on that too.

I can't imagine it would help 'much' with fuel efficiancy. I got mine for about £25 off of ebay, not branded, just a generic 'CBR600 RR tinted double bubble screen'. Seller sent me wrong one for the year originally but then sent right one, and I forwarded the incorrect model onto another BCF member.

Here is CBR with me on it, not tucked in.

https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t1.0-9/10259736_623608751049324_3611640661766261307_n.jpg
____________________
Yamaha RXS 100 > Honda CD 250 > Honda Hornet 600 > Honda CBR 600RR > Yamaha RXS 100 > Kawasaki ZX6R J2 > Yamaha FZ1
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

djrikki
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 07 Nov 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:13 - 02 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitted one to my Yam and its amazing! Best thing ever
____________________
CBF125 (Rusty Bin) -> CBR125R (WeeBR) -> Yamaha XJ6 Diversion F -> Suzuki GSXR750 L1 -> Suzuki GSXR750 L1 (Mark2)
CBT: 01/11/13 - Theory : 01/05/14 - Mod 1 : 11/05/14 - Mod 2 : 14/05/14 - Yam Div F : 16/05/14 - Gixxer : 02/04/2015-15/07/2015 RIP - GixxerMk2 : 16/08/2015
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

deadwolf
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 24 Jan 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:26 - 02 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

djrikki wrote:
Fitted one to my Yam and its amazing! Best thing ever


https://i.imgur.com/3n4JNDl.jpg

I'll get my coat..
____________________
Motorsapien Art
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Sload
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Aug 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:56 - 02 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tends to be that double bubbles add more resistance over standard screens so increase drag, but on your bike as stated you would barely notice the difference. On my old vara, it could sit at about 70 and wind blast was more then manageable but I couldnt tuck in on that anyway.

On my Triumph I had a useless screen and no fairing and again up to 70 was comfortable, over that it grew exponentially uncomfortable.

On the CBR I can manage quite well into high figures if I tuck in, but I'm not a shortarse Japanese so I have to squash elbows to thighs tight on the tank with a nasty crank in my neck. I'm thinking of fitting lower pegs and bar risers as well as a double bubble. The different screen will increase drag and reduce the effectiveness of the aero but I doubt I will be sitting at 180 for long stretches anyway. It is all about application.

And your application really wouldnt see a benefit. Thumbs Up
____________________
Honda Varadero >> Triumph Speed Four >> Honda CBR1100xx
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Oct 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:36 - 02 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a 125, screen doesn't do shit. Period.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:07 - 03 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

djrikki wrote:
Fitted one to my Yam and its amazing! Best thing ever


I thought you got an SV650 in the end?
____________________
Current Bike: 1999 Honda CB600 FX Hornet
Next Bike: I want a CBR-RR. And I want an F800 GS-A. And a VFR 800. Can I have all 3?
Dream Bikes: Honda VFR750R RC30, Honda NSR500, Ducati 996 R
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy9934
Nova Slayer



Joined: 19 Apr 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:12 - 03 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Air resistance increases with the cube of velocity. If you are travelling at 70 you will lose 50% more energy more energy to drag than someone travelling at 60!

Therefore it is more important for faster bikes.
____________________
Surrey
Honda Varadero XL125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 102 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.18 Sec - Server Load: 1.16 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 129.86 Kb