Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


What are your thoughts on gear?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

PT1989
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 17 Apr 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:36 - 08 Jul 2014    Post subject: What are your thoughts on gear? Reply with quote

So I'm on a quiet night shift, and bored, and just curious, what do you guys think about wearing your gear?
Main things I'm wondering are;

Do you agree helmets should be mandatory?
Would you wear one if they weren't?
Should any other gear be mandatory?
Do you always wear full gear on every ride?

My views are, I don't think any gear should be mandatory, you're an adult, if you want to take the risk that should be your choice, personally I would always wear helmet & gloves. Any journey less than about 5 miles and I often don't bother with any other kit though, within reason, I'm still not jumping on the bike in tshirt and flip flops, and if it's pissing it down/freezing cold then I'll still put the textiles on, for comfort more than protection though. Anything further than 5 miles and I've got full kit, minus boots at the minute, as I forgot to chuck them in the top box when parked, and somebody obviously had sticky fingers (feet?) and haven't got round to replacing them yet.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:52 - 08 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.imgur.com/8rtwsFu.jpg
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

PT1989
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 17 Apr 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:57 - 08 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least I didn't ask if I should warm my bike up? Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Chuffin Nora
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Sep 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 04:02 - 08 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's made out of hemp I'll wear it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 04:03 - 08 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

No
Most of the time
No
No
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

deadwolf
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 24 Jan 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:24 - 08 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me helmets are part and parcel of riding a motorcycle. Even if they weren't mandatory I'd wear one. Frankly, they look far cooler than most people's faces (especially at high speeds/wind). Without a helmet you just look like a plonker on a bike Laughing

Helmets are possibly the only thing that lets me tolerate riding in the rain. The rest of me can get soaked to f00k as long as my most sensitive part gets to roll along nice and dry. Same reason why I find bicycling in the rain to be total misery.
____________________
Motorsapien Art
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:18 - 08 Jul 2014    Post subject: Re: What are your thoughts on gear? Reply with quote

PT1989 wrote:
Do you agree helmets should be mandatory?
Would you wear one if they weren't?
Should any other gear be mandatory?
Do you always wear full gear on every ride?


No
Likely
No
Only worn full gear a handful of times.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr



Joined: 01 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:18 - 08 Jul 2014    Post subject: Re: What are your thoughts on gear? Reply with quote

PT1989 wrote:
Do you agree helmets should be mandatory?
No. - I'm a qualified rider. My riding has been assessed and I am deemed sufficiently competent to assess risks and make decisions, like... whether to pull out in front of a truck, or whether to slow down on a wet the road... But, Dufuk? I am too stupid to decide for myself whether it might be a good idea to stick a hat on my head?!?!? Or wear a seat-belt, Or where or when?

I have a similar opinion of restricted road speed limits. National speed limit is 60mph on an unrestricted road.. I was taught many many moons ago, its a speed limit, not a target; and I should always drive/ride at a speed, in which I may stop, in the distance I can see to be clear; just 'cos the 'blanket' speed limit is 60 doesn't mean THAT is a 'safe's speed for the road.

Now, drivers are taught to drive at or as close as practically possible to the 'posted' speed limit... and fuck using common sense... we'll just dum down to the lowest common denominator, and set a speed limit slow enough to be 'safe' for even the most idiotic numpty!

Shifting onus of intelligence away from common sense and personal responsibility, into rigid inflexible regulations, 'one size fits all'.

But how the FUCK is the 'Law' supposed to know what is safe for me, on my bike or in my car, on a certain road, in certain traffic, in certain weather, at any instant of time: Can the legislators SEE what I am seeing from the driving seat? NO!

So if they don't think people can make 'reasonable' decisions FOR THEMSELVES, don't give them a Fucking DRIVING LICENCE!
PT1989 wrote:
Would you wear one if they weren't?

No, and Yes. As argument above, I think I know better than arbitrary legislation where wearing a hat is more or less appropriate.

I live in a 20mph traffic calmed residential area. Would I put on a crash hat to walk to the shop or pop to the petrol station? Would I put on a crash-helmet to ride a push-bike to the corner shop or petrol station? I am actually more likely to be knocked down as a pedestrian, or involved in a collision on a push-bike in this environment, than I am to crash my motorbike... AND if I do fall off a motorbike, in a sub 20mph collision?

YES, I could be hurt coming off a bike... I could be hurt falling off a ladder, or crossing the road, or plugging in the washing machine! Risk is all around us, we need to learn to recognise it for ourselves and take what measures WE are comfy with to protect ourselves..

NOT have a fucking law, telling us what we HAVE to do, so we don't have to take responsibility!

So, circumstance dependent, there are many where I would, were it not mandated by law, choose NOT to wear a helmet; And where I would elect to wear one, it would be as much for 'comfort' riding the bike, as for 'safety' falling off it; and slightly ironically, like as not to be in circumstances I know, I am actually at less risk of having an accident, though potentially more likely to suffer more severe injury should I have one. Ie out of town, on faster, unrestricted roads.

PT1989 wrote:
Should any other gear be mandatory?

No. Again, If I cant work out for myself what's the most appropriate riding wear, I shouldn't be on a fucking bike!

And it's a fools paradise; 'Safety Wear' don't make you safe. NOT CRASHING is wot makes you 'safe'.

If I were so scared of crashing, I felt the need to suit up like a medieval man-at-arms, in leather and padding, and hard-hat... WHY am I riding a motorbike to begin with?

All the gear, isn't going to save me crashing; might, at a pinch save a little hurt if I do... but that's pretty much in the lap of the gods; more and better gear, isn't likely to save me so much hurt as to be the difference between life and death; which is significantly down to circumstance and shear 'luck'.

ATGATT attitude, though, is a convenience; an abdication of responsibility; stick your head in a plastic bucket and make believe you got safety covered and DON'T have to think about it any further.

And a whole industry survives, over selling 'protective apparel' for motorcyclists, feeding fears of the potential harm that might be caused by an M/C accident, with a vested interest in perpetuating fears and ideas that the gear is 'essential', and defending the notion that having it 'makes you safe', when in fact you are just as likely to crash with it, as without it, and in the false belief you are 'safe' probably more at risk of having an accident that demands it, in it, than out of it.

Meanwhile, whole argument of mandatory safety wear, is an utter perversion of common sense! It shifts personal responsibility from the individual to 'Big-Brother', and places culpability for accidents, on the bludy victims!

Eg; Biker is too dumm to decide what to wear, or how fast to go.. we have to have a law to tell them... rather than expecting people think for themselves... and rather then preventing accidents in the first place... using these 'laws' to apportion blame and culpability after they've happened... because NO-ONE wants to take responsibility for themselves, or pay for their own errors in judgement! And easier to punish the unfortunate few, than educate the lucky majority.

PT1989 wrote:
Do you always wear full gear on every ride?

Think I have answered this one.. but No.
In fact, these days I rarely wear 'much' more than a crash hat, as far as 'dedicated' motorcycle wear goes. And again, what I choose to wear is selected as much for comfort when riding, as 'safety' if crashing.

Usual every-day 'outdoor' footwear is Sears 'Shit-Kickers', cowboy-boots basically, but more leather work-wear, 'ranch' riding boot than ornately stitched line-dancing shit! Usual every-day leg-wear is Levi's.

Don't see much point 'changing' to get on the bike. I mean, no sane person runs to the bed-room to stick on Nomex underwear & OMP 'Race Overalls' to get in the fucking car, do they? So why the fuck do so many bikers feel the need to clamber into a one piece 'race suit', just 'cos they are getting onto a bike?!? (It's as much living out life-style fantasies as it is 'safety'; but even so; STILL don't see sports-car drivers feeling the need to dress like 'The Stig', to pop to the pub!)

So 'Basic' riding outfit, is basic, Black-Leather-Jacket and a Crash-Hat, and I'll leave the jacket behind, if its warm and I'm just popping to the petrol station or shop or even riding to town, across that 20mph traffic calmed residential area I live in!

Find it rains in this country rather a lot, and I tend to get wet more often than I crash; so most 'useful' protective wear I own is water-proofs! Live with pair of gloves in the panniers, for if and when needed. I don't even wear gloves 'as course'.

PT1989 wrote:
My views are, I don't think any gear should be mandatory, you're an adult, if you want to take the risk that should be your choice


Topic hinges on expectation of people thinking for themselves; and trouble is, and reason we have so much mandated regulation is simply that too many people don't LIKE thinking for themselves, they prefer to be told what to do... until it's something they don't want to do...

So while I don't agree with mandatory helmet laws, or seat-belt laws, or the over restriction of roads and speed enforcement.. I do see why, practically, it exists, and is the preferred political solution.

There's 60million people in the UK, and 40million or so of them have driving licences, 30million daily motor-vehicle road users....

That is a hell of a lot of people to expect to raise thier game, and start thinking more, for themselves, and more, about the right stuff for road safety; and one hell of a fuck off job to try and re-educate to do the right thing for themselves. And one fuck-off big political hot-potato to even try tackling, trying to take driving licences off even the worst of them!
____________________
My Webby'Tef's-tQ, loads of stuff about my bikes, my Land-Rovers, and the stuff I do with them!
Current Bikes:'Honda VF1000F' ;'CB750F2N' ;'CB125TD ( 6 3 of em!)'; 'Montesa Cota 248'. Learner FAQ's:= 'U want to Ride a Motorbike! Where Do U start?'
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

daemonoid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:38 - 08 Jul 2014    Post subject: Re: What are your thoughts on gear? Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
No. - I'm a qualified rider. My riding has been assessed and I am deemed sufficiently competent to assess risks and make decisions.


Really? How? What test did you take?

If you mean you got a license then you're not deemed 'sufficiently competent', merely, just about good enough to not present too much of a danger to others whilst you travel alone.
____________________
current: ducati monster 750
past: hyosung gt250r, bajaj pulsar 180, hyosung gt 125 comet
@thomasgarrard | www.straitjkt.com | www.racingseven.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

dydey90
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:02 - 08 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was having a similar thought this morning, when I decided it was too early to be fucking about with my kevlar jeans and boots.

At work we get taught that PPE (personal protective equipment, hard hat, steelies etc) is the last line of defence. Avoiding or preventing a hazard is much more effective.

For example, you drop a set of 36" stilsons:
"I don't need to move my foot, I'm wearing steelies"
"I'll move my foot out of the way, just in case"
____________________
This post is probably not serious and shouldn't be taken literally.
Past: CBR125,ER6f NINJA 650, ZZR600 Current: VFR750
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

PT1989
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 17 Apr 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:20 - 08 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tef, although I agree with a lot of what you said, I can't help but notice that you seem quite set on the options being "ride safely" OR "wear gear". It is possible, and I think fairly common, to do both.

Also, I cannot ignore the fact you misspelled "dumb" twice, with 2 different varieties of the spelling... I'm not sure what to say about it.. But I can't ignore it. Surely whatever Internet enabled device you're using has a spellchecker built in?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:36 - 08 Jul 2014    Post subject: Re: What are your thoughts on gear? Reply with quote

PT1989 wrote:


Do you agree helmets should be mandatory?
Would you wear one if they weren't?
Should any other gear be mandatory?
Do you always wear full gear on every ride? .


Yes
Yes
Gloves only
Most of it.

I'm a big advocate of keeping as much skin covered as you possibly can. Road rash hurts like nothing else and it is a bitch to heal. I've suffered my fair share of road rash in my skating and cycling days at low speeds. Wouldnt want to do so at high speeds.

When I go out on my bike I'll either wear full bike gear or my Cat boots, jeans, biker jacket and gloves along with my lid.

But I am also of the opinion that you can wear what you want and if you fall off, hey, your skin not mine. Wink
____________________
illuminateTHEmind wrote: I am just more evolved than most of you guys... this allows me to pick of things quickly which would have normally taken the common man years to master
Hockeystorm65:.well there are childish arguments...there are very childish arguments.....there are really stupid childish arguments and now there are......Pinkfloyd arguments!
Teflon-Mike:I think I agree with just about all Pinky has said.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

BigShow
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 01 May 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:36 - 08 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think any gear should be mandatory, although i'd probably still wear a helmet if it wasn't.

I've got decent motorcycle boots, two decent pairs of motorcycle gloves (summer/winter) and thats it. The rest of my gear is just jeans and a jacket or hoodie. Then i've got the obligatory waterproofs stashed in my top box.

I know it will hurt if i fall off, so i just do my best not to. If i do, oh well. It's an accident, there's a million accidents that might befall me today, crashing my bike is probably the least of my worries.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave70
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:59 - 08 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

All gear all of the time, whether it be textiles or leathers.

I've had the pleasure of picking and scrubbing stones and dirt out of folks skin when I worked in A&E, to know that I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Sep 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:03 - 08 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didnt think we wore the gear for our protection,
I assumed it was to keep all our body parts in one area for who ever clears up after the accident.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

sabian92
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Oct 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:13 - 08 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always wear full gear.

Unless I'm going round my brother's house in which case it's a hoodie and shorts and a helmet Laughing He lives literally round the corner so fuck spending an hour getting dressed. Other than that though, I wear it all the time.

I'd wear a helmet anyway, I think. It's nice to have the wind in your hair but I'd rather have my head not smeared down the road.

When I wash my bike I hoon up and down the road to dry it off though, and the last time I did that I had an old t-shirt on, pyjama shorts and no shoes on Laughing Many kittens were slaughtered Razz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

wr6133
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:17 - 08 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing should be mandatory. If I want to ride with no lid and in flip flops and a mankini that's my choice.

Laws should only stop me harming others or directly impinging on their pursuit of happiness, doing something stupid that may kill me like not wearing a lid should be my choice.

Those that think lids should be mandatory are sheep brainwashed by the Nanny state.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave70
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:17 - 08 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

sabian92 wrote:


When I wash my bike I hoon up and down the road to dry it off though, and the last time I did that I had an old t-shirt on, pyjama shorts and no shoes on Laughing Many kittens were slaughtered Razz

You do realise that the law of sod dictates that's when you'll come off though don't you.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

hazza
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:20 - 08 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think this topic has been done to death, but I'm not sure where I stand on it oddly enough...

It's all very much dependant upon where you are going and what you are doing. I wear leather trousers, leather jacket, helmet, gloves and proper boots every day, what ever the weather to go work in. I'm in a rush to get there, I filter, It's through town and you HAVE to be fairly aggressive so as not to get shit on by car drivers. It's not just a safety thing, but also a comfort thing. If it piddles down on the way to/way back from work I know I'm going to be in a reasonable state when I get to my destination. It's also nice to take the outer layer of clothes off and look presentable and not covered in dead bugs/bird shit as I work in an office.

I have a 70's Pedal start Puch and don't feel the need to wear my full leathers with that. 1. I would look like a tard and 2. I use it for a bit of fun and i'm not in any rush to get to where i'm going. It has a top speed of about 30mph, which is plenty fast enough for some nasty gravel rash but I regularly exceed 30 mph on my bicycle wearing a few mm of lycra as protection. I normally wear gloves on the Puch, but not always.

I can't understand why anyone would not want to wear a helmet though, it's just not worth the risk. Your head is pretty vulnerable, and for the effort it takes to put one on I don't know why you wouldn't bother. It's like not wearing a seatbelt, just why? It's an automatic response to getting into a car, takes less than a second and is quite useful if you do happen to crash.

Not wearing a helmet is all very well in America where they pay for their own healthcare, but our poor NHS is already on it's arse without inconsiderate folk expecting their heads to be screwed back together and years of rehab for free, just because they couldn't be arsed to put a lid on.

Being a riding God doesn't justify not wearing any gear unless you remove the 30 million other motorists from the road.
____________________
3 Honda NC50's(Sold)-->'72 Puch Maxi S (Sold, want it back!)--> '90 Yamaha RXS 100 (Stolen)--> '87 Honda Cub 90(Sold) --> '95 Kawasaki Eliminator (Sold) --> '98 Bandit 600 (Sold) -->'07 SV650S (Current)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:25 - 08 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, yes, no, yes.

I assume Tef did ladders and risk compensation again. I do accept that there's an argument for open face helmets as they offer better visibility and provide a more tangible awareness of speed.

Everything else though, pffft, I've never caught myself thinking "I'm wearing armour and hi-vis, so I'll assume Mavis Micra there isn't going to pull out." Yes, I do analyse my riding.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike


Last edited by Rogerborg on 09:27 - 08 Jul 2014; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

sabian92
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Oct 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:26 - 08 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave70 wrote:

You do realise that the law of sod dictates that's when you'll come off though don't you.


Yeah, but then I happily fly down the road at 30mph wearing a thin jersey and lycra shorts and I don't hit 30mph hooning up and down the road so I don't see the difference. If I come off it's gonna hurt regardless of if it's motorised or not.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave70
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:30 - 08 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I've scrubbed and picked many a stone out of cyclists too. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Conzar
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jun 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:32 - 08 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i go out and decide right I'm going to kill some kittens then i generally gear up, anything else just helmet and gloves.
____________________
Current ride: ZX6R 636 ------- Previous:KTM EXC 450 Supermoto --- ZX6R B1H --Hornet 600--CBR 600--SV650
11:05:35 Rob Fzs: i just wanna own an rd350 valve before they send us to war with durkadurkastan
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Musketeer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:53 - 08 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laws are to protect us from the stupid.. and to protect the stupid from themselves.

The helmet is an absolute minimum to help your survival chances.
____________________
Current Bike: Yamaha XSR900 Previous bikes: Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade, Kawasaki ZX-6R Ninja, Aprilia RS125 2-stroke
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Atomic Punk
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 27 Oct 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:09 - 08 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

sabian92 wrote:
Always wear full gear.

Unless I'm going round my brother's house in which case it's a hoodie and shorts and a helmet Laughing He lives literally round the corner so fuck spending an hour getting dressed. Other than that though, I wear it all the time.



It takes you an hour to get dressed??????

I always where full gear and it has saved me a few times.

But mandatory no.
____________________
I may have lost my way but I'm way ahead of schedule.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 90 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.14 Sec - Server Load: 1.51 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 141.02 Kb