Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Airbag Vest - suits you sir!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

map
Mr Calendar



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:14 - 08 Jul 2014    Post subject: Airbag Vest - suits you sir! Reply with quote

I remember a recent(ish) thread on safety and airbag vests were mentioned (for horse riders iirc).

Anyhow GetGeared/Held have one, about £650 of your English pounds.
Inflates in 0.1 seconds so the blurb says. Comes in black or black+hiviz.

Video of it is here.
...bit worrying the guy seemed to take two attempts for it to deploy Thinking

GetGeared site is here.

Present for the biker who already has everything perhaps?

Thumbs Up
____________________
...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger? Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:16 - 08 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were discussing them way back in 2006.

They were not popular, the Dainese one had potential as it wrapped around your neck.

IIRC Busters were trying to get rid of theirs and they went down to £150 and nobody touched them for quite a long time.

Poking around BCF were discussing them in 2004.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=226553

And they couldn't get rid of their stock for ages.
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:19 - 08 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had that it would blow up every other time I got of the bike. Laughing
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:21 - 08 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also £650? Fuck off Laughing
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:05 - 08 Jul 2014    Post subject: Re: Airbag Vest - suits you sir! Reply with quote

map wrote:
Present for the biker who already has everything perhaps?

Try harder, I have one, a Hit-Air vest.

It cost me ~£160 delivered from 'Murca, including duty and Parcel Farce mugging, back in 2010. That was and I believe still is much cheaper than you can get get them for over here at retail. They were flogging them primarily to horsists.

I never wear it now, it's just hanging up in the mancave, pining away.

Should probably eBay / Gumtree it, although I expect I'll have to more or less give it away.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:10 - 08 Jul 2014    Post subject: Re: Airbag Vest - suits you sir! Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
map wrote:
Present for the biker who already has everything perhaps?

Try harder, I have one, a Hit-Air vest.

It cost me ~£160 delivered from 'Murca, including duty and Parcel Farce mugging, back in 2010. That was and I believe still is much cheaper than you can get get them for over here at retail. They were flogging them primarily to horsists.

I never wear it now, it's just hanging up in the mancave, pining away.

Should probably eBay / Gumtree it, although I expect I'll have to more or less give it away.



£200, for it, no no I mean you give me £200 to take it off you Wink
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:01 - 08 Jul 2014    Post subject: Re: Airbag Vest - suits you sir! Reply with quote

map wrote:
I remember a recent(ish) thread on safety and airbag vests were mentioned (for horse riders iirc).

Anyhow GetGeared/Held have one, about £650 of your English pounds.
Inflates in 0.1 seconds so the blurb says. Comes in black or black+hiviz.

Video of it is here.
...bit worrying the guy seemed to take two attempts for it to deploy
Thinking

GetGeared site is here.

Present for the biker who already has everything perhaps?

Thumbs Up



Not really, I'd find that more reassuring actually because it means it won't accidentally deploy if you forget to unclip the lanyard.

In a crash fast enough to warrant an airbag, there will be a lot more force applied than in the video.
____________________
Current Bike: 1999 Honda CB600 FX Hornet
Next Bike: I want a CBR-RR. And I want an F800 GS-A. And a VFR 800. Can I have all 3?
Dream Bikes: Honda VFR750R RC30, Honda NSR500, Ducati 996 R
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

conker
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 22 Mar 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:20 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Helite Airnest https://www.helite-motorcycle-airbagjackets.co.uk/motorbike-air-vest/20-airnest-air-jacket.html
it is pretty easy to get £50 off. It looks exactly like the Held one in the video, but all black, the airbag shape looks the same.

I sometimes forget to unclip and it doesn't go off, it takes quite some force to set it off, apparently you can have the activation for adjusted if you are a cardboard cut out.

The guy is trying to activate it with his arm and not his body weight leaving the bike.

I can't tell I'm wearing mine now, I wear it for track days and road riding, every time, without fail. Downside with these vests that use a cord, they'll not go off if you don't leave the bike. So the initial impact of a low side will likely not be cocooned in air.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

slowlydoesit
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 14 Oct 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:10 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

conker wrote:
Downside with these vests that use a cord, they'll not go off if you don't leave the bike. So the initial impact of a low side will likely not be cocooned in air.

True, but in that case you're no worse off than 99.999% of riders, including the other you in a parallel universe that didn't buy an air vest.
____________________
Kawasaki KMX200 with broken fixed powervalves and a stutter
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

delsol
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:19 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

conker wrote:
it is pretty easy to get £50 off.


How?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hokum
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 26 Apr 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:21 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much cheaper...
https://static.spiceworks.com/attachments/post/0015/5437/bubble_wrap_suit.jpg
____________________
Sane: To know when you are doing something crazy.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

conker
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 22 Mar 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:53 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

delsol wrote:
conker wrote:
it is pretty easy to get £50 off.


How?


https://twitter.com/realrider/status/405284640933834752/photo/1

I mentioned that I'd seen them at motorcycle live, but didn't have the money then, and asked if I could still get the discount, the guy said yes.

Got the plain black one for £400, popped up to his head office, near Leeds and picked it up.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 93 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.26 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 79.76 Kb