Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Need a new laptop, from Amazon only

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

AngelGrinder
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:12 - 08 Jul 2014    Post subject: Need a new laptop, from Amazon only Reply with quote

Ok guys, I had a work laptop last year, high spec to run autoCAD (and games when I'm at home) but it recently packed up, and isn't repairable under warranty, so it is going back to Amazon.

This was my old laptop

Lenovo IdeaPad Y500 15.6-inch Laptop (Dusk Black) - (Intel Core i7 3630QM 2.4GHz Processor, 16GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 16GB SSD, Blu-ray, LAN, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Nvidia Graphics, Windows 8)


So, once that goes back I will have £970 in amazon vouchers.

Can anyone recommend anything really good on Amazon for about this sort of price? Don't want anything huge as it needs to fit in my backpack.

All recommendations are welcome!
____________________
Currently Riding - 2002 Aprilia RSV1000 Mille
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

daemonoid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:19 - 08 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

<edit> ignore it, lenovo suck

I got a lenovo yoga 2 pro from work. $1100 in a best buy, I'm sure you can find it on amazon.

Excellent 4k screen. 256gb SSD, light as a feather and the foldey-over-screen-tablet is a bonus that has been good for small presentations.

Not tried games on it, but it should be immensely capable.
____________________
current: ducati monster 750
past: hyosung gt250r, bajaj pulsar 180, hyosung gt 125 comet
@thomasgarrard | www.straitjkt.com | www.racingseven.com


Last edited by daemonoid on 12:29 - 13 Aug 2014; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

AngelGrinder
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:21 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does look nice, and the battery life is very handy for travelling, unfortunately a 13in screen isn't really big enough for CAD drawings.

I've been looking at this one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-GX60-3CC-296UK-A10-5750M-Bluetooth/dp/B00IYEUDCY/ref=sr_1_3?m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1404918321&sr=1-3

and the next level up

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-GX60-3CC-295UK-A10-5750M-Bluetooth/dp/B00IYETZSM/ref=sr_1_9?m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1404919206&sr=1-9

But the next level up doesn't seem worth the cost. Like I said, I'm not hugely knowledgeable on computer specs though. Amazon doesn't have a particularly great selection of laptops in that price range at the moment.
____________________
Currently Riding - 2002 Aprilia RSV1000 Mille
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

daemonoid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:15 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

AngelGrinder wrote:
It does look nice, and the battery life is very handy for travelling, unfortunately a 13in screen isn't really big enough for CAD drawings.

I've been looking at this one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-GX60-3CC-296UK-A10-5750M-Bluetooth/dp/B00IYEUDCY/ref=sr_1_3?m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1404918321&sr=1-3

and the next level up

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-GX60-3CC-295UK-A10-5750M-Bluetooth/dp/B00IYETZSM/ref=sr_1_9?m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1404919206&sr=1-9

But the next level up doesn't seem worth the cost. Like I said, I'm not hugely knowledgeable on computer specs though. Amazon doesn't have a particularly great selection of laptops in that price range at the moment.


The 13" screen certainly has the resolution for your CAD drawings... I almost guarantee it'd be the most pixels you've ever had. The only problem could be if you don't have absolute 20:20 vision.

Also, you can hook up the thing to a monitor / TV if you really need the large screen!
____________________
current: ducati monster 750
past: hyosung gt250r, bajaj pulsar 180, hyosung gt 125 comet
@thomasgarrard | www.straitjkt.com | www.racingseven.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Seb
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:05 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pixel count is almost everything! Compare a MacBook Air to the 13 Retina Mac.
____________________
2010 Triumph 1050 Sprint ST
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

daemonoid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:12 - 10 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seb wrote:
Pixel count is almost everything! Compare a MacBook Air to the 13 Retina Mac.


Kinda... You can only make stuff so small before it gets hard to read even if the resolution is high!

I'd recommend the OP goes down to a shop (maybe an apple one) to see how he gets on with high res, small size screens. 3200x1800 is quite impressive.
____________________
current: ducati monster 750
past: hyosung gt250r, bajaj pulsar 180, hyosung gt 125 comet
@thomasgarrard | www.straitjkt.com | www.racingseven.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

daemonoid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:37 - 13 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, after a couple of months of service the wifi just decided to die on me.

After having a good look around it appears the wireless adaptors are constant source of concern. So I had a look at their warrant page and there's all kinds of options - turn up at an approved service centre sounds the best for me!

I call tech support to see if they can suggest anything else, but really expecting to make an appointment. Nope! Hand over the laptop to DPD who will arrive in a few days and probably get it back to you in a week or two. Two weeks without my primary tool for business? Lenovo, you suck...

I'm off to buy an external adaptor that I'll have to carry around and waste one of the 2 precious USB ports. It'll be a good reminder to never buy another lenovo though...
____________________
current: ducati monster 750
past: hyosung gt250r, bajaj pulsar 180, hyosung gt 125 comet
@thomasgarrard | www.straitjkt.com | www.racingseven.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer



Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:17 - 13 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

daemonoid wrote:
It'll be a good reminder to never buy another lenovo though...


You might struggle there.

So what did you expect them to do warranty wise, did you pay for sameday business repair considering this machine is mission critical?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

daemonoid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:41 - 13 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
You might struggle there.

So what did you expect them to do warranty wise, did you pay for sameday business repair considering this machine is mission critical?


I expected to be able to pop over to their authorised repair place, whether it's 10 or 100 miles away I'm not bothered. Or at least not have a 2 week turnaround +2/3 days wait for collection appointment.

And good attempt at putting the blame on me though... My fault they screwed up with their wifi card (common problem on the yoga 2 pro), my fault that I rely on just one laptop whilst out of the office.
____________________
current: ducati monster 750
past: hyosung gt250r, bajaj pulsar 180, hyosung gt 125 comet
@thomasgarrard | www.straitjkt.com | www.racingseven.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer



Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:08 - 13 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't putting the blame on you Mr Paranoid, I was making the point that anything mission critical should have a contingency plan.

Now stop being paranoid.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

daemonoid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:46 - 13 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
I wasn't putting the blame on you Mr Paranoid, I was making the point that anything mission critical should have a contingency plan.

Now stop being paranoid.


You weren't blaming me yet twice in one sentence about failing you used a pronoun that refers to me... I'm happy you're backtracking, just unfortunate you're still trying to save face by yet again blaming me (my paranoia and clearly couldn't possibly be your use of language).

Anyway... New wifi dongle worked well for an hour now the whole machine has locked up for the first time ever. Black screen and no response yet my Skype call continues.
____________________
current: ducati monster 750
past: hyosung gt250r, bajaj pulsar 180, hyosung gt 125 comet
@thomasgarrard | www.straitjkt.com | www.racingseven.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer



Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:10 - 13 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

daemonoid wrote:
You weren't blaming me yet twice in one sentence about failing you used a pronoun that refers to me... I'm happy you're backtracking, just unfortunate you're still trying to save face by yet again blaming me (my paranoia and clearly couldn't possibly be your use of language).

Anyway... New wifi dongle worked well for an hour now the whole machine has locked up for the first time ever. Black screen and no response yet my Skype call continues.


Now that really is paranoia.

Warranty is the same as everywhere else ie return to base and YOU expect more because YOU didn't plan for a mission critical failure.

I don't blame YOU, Mr Paranoia for the problem but I do blame YOU for not planning and having a back up. I hope that explains things for you.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi



Joined: 08 Jun 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:09 - 13 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

No fucking way I would work professionally on a laptop because of shit like this. Far easier to whip the side of the case off and replace the faulty component in a PC than doing it on a laptop.

That IS your contingency plan on a PC, you just replace part pretty easily/quickly.

I also couldn't handle the size of the screen on a laptop and having just one of them. Once you go big on multi monitors, you can't work on a small single one Laughing

Black screen / locked up? Wipe the C: because you have multiple drives / backups running, and be back up and running within an hour.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

daemonoid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:25 - 13 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

R1 Jay wrote:
No fucking way I would work professionally on a laptop because of shit like this. Far easier to whip the side of the case off and replace the faulty component in a PC than doing it on a laptop.

That IS your contingency plan on a PC, you just replace part pretty easily/quickly.

I also couldn't handle the size of the screen on a laptop and having just one of them. Once you go big on multi monitors, you can't work on a small single one Laughing

Black screen / locked up? Wipe the C: because you have multiple drives / backups running, and be back up and running within an hour.


Rather difficult to take a desktop to a client though...

I've picked the tool for the job - I used to have 3 big monitors, now 1 small one is better for what I do.
____________________
current: ducati monster 750
past: hyosung gt250r, bajaj pulsar 180, hyosung gt 125 comet
@thomasgarrard | www.straitjkt.com | www.racingseven.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

daemonoid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:40 - 13 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Now that really is paranoia.

Warranty is the same as everywhere else ie return to base and YOU expect more because YOU didn't plan for a mission critical failure.

I don't blame YOU, Mr Paranoia for the problem but I do blame YOU for not planning and having a back up. I hope that explains things for you.


Yeah, I'd be happy to RTB - I tried to do so myself... Not wait for 3 days for a collection and then have a 2 week turnaround to investigate and replace. That's a joke... You and I both know that it should take a couple of hours at most.

Anyway, don't be silly about this mission critical crap - I take a laptop that I expect to work, because that's what they're meant to do. I don't carry 2 with me because that would be ridiculous. If it went completely I'd buy a new one and restore from the cloud (contingency), this time I've shoved in a wifi dongle and it works (contingency, well after a small issue).

When you go out on delivering something do you take 2 bikes just in case the first one breaks down?

Do you really think it's ok for a company to A. Release a product with a common defect, then B. Use long repair times to discourage use of that warranty.
____________________
current: ducati monster 750
past: hyosung gt250r, bajaj pulsar 180, hyosung gt 125 comet
@thomasgarrard | www.straitjkt.com | www.racingseven.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer



Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:49 - 13 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

daemonoid wrote:
When you go out on delivering something do you take 2 bikes just in case the first one breaks down?


I don't deliver things, I help stop people bleeding to death. I am the contingency plan.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

daemonoid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:10 - 13 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
I don't deliver things, I help stop people bleeding to death. I am the contingency plan.


I thought the docs & nurses did that and you just deliver stock from one place to another? Maybe we should all praise the guy who made the clamps too?
____________________
current: ducati monster 750
past: hyosung gt250r, bajaj pulsar 180, hyosung gt 125 comet
@thomasgarrard | www.straitjkt.com | www.racingseven.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer



Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:35 - 13 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

daemonoid wrote:
I thought the docs & nurses did that and you just deliver stock from one place to another? Maybe we should all praise the guy who made the clamps too?


Which part of my previous post confused you? I never leave my office.

Oh and back when I did do deliveries I had an RAC card that allowed onward travel. Wink Its called a contingency plan.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

daemonoid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:09 - 14 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Which part of my previous post confused you? I never leave my office.

Oh and back when I did do deliveries I had an RAC card that allowed onward travel. Wink Its called a contingency plan.


The bit where you were vague...

I have a credit card that does pretty much the same thing and more. As evidenced by today's escapade.

But if you really want to go down this analogy road... It's not about contingencies - what would you've said if (when you were delivering) your bike was off the road for 2.5 weeks, starting from the moment you're in Germany, oh and you have to wait around for the 0.5 weeks for it to be collected.

I'm quite clearly complaining about the warranty practice - I can always solve problems. The warranty sucks... The laptop has an inherent issue that many have suffered... Thus my original post of retracting my praise for lenovo and posting my latest experience is perfectly normal, reasonable and warranted...
____________________
current: ducati monster 750
past: hyosung gt250r, bajaj pulsar 180, hyosung gt 125 comet
@thomasgarrard | www.straitjkt.com | www.racingseven.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer



Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:39 - 14 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

daemonoid wrote:
But if you really want to go down this analogy road... It's not about contingencies - what would you've said if (when you were delivering) your bike was off the road for 2.5 weeks, starting from the moment you're in Germany, oh and you have to wait around for the 0.5 weeks for it to be collected.


I didn't do Euro deliveries as I had no contingency plan.

Why are you trying to trip me up here exactly?

daemonoid wrote:
I'm quite clearly complaining about the warranty practice - I can always solve problems. The warranty sucks... The laptop has an inherent issue that many have suffered... Thus my original post of retracting my praise for lenovo and posting my latest experience is perfectly normal, reasonable and warranted...


Lenovo's basic warranty is no different from anyone elses which is what you seem to have ignored. You could have paid extra for 24 hour on site support but you didn't and now you are blaming Lenovo for your choice.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:03 - 14 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't have a decent business continuity plan then you've nobody to blame but yourself. Technology will fail from time to time and you should be adequately prepared for that event. Doh!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

daemonoid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:58 - 14 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
If you don't have a decent business continuity plan then you've nobody to blame but yourself. Technology will fail from time to time and you should be adequately prepared for that event. Doh!


How have you jumped on that too? It was a worthless side point that meant nothing. I continued working on an iPad and within a couple of hours I had a functioning laptop.

It is completely separate from the issue of wanting stuff to work, or if it does not that it be rectified within a reasonable timeframe.
____________________
current: ducati monster 750
past: hyosung gt250r, bajaj pulsar 180, hyosung gt 125 comet
@thomasgarrard | www.straitjkt.com | www.racingseven.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

daemonoid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:16 - 14 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
I didn't do Euro deliveries as I had no contingency plan.

Why are you trying to trip me up here exactly?


Not trying to trip you up. Just put it in to a perspective you might get close to understanding...

I'm not worried about my contingencies, I continued working despite the issue and within hours I was back to normal.

You seem to suggest that the only contingency is one that works instantly and 100%. Stuff that!

sickpup wrote:
Lenovo's basic warranty is no different from anyone elses which is what you seem to have ignored. You could have paid extra for 24 hour on site support but you didn't and now you are blaming Lenovo for your choice.


No, apple have outlets where you can walk up to. Asus have directed me towards authorised partners. I've even had swap outs from other manufacturers.

Lenovo on the other hand have a repair centre that I'm not allowed to take things to and huge turnaround times despite it being a known issue. So yes I'm blaming Lenovo that
A) they have an inherent fault with their hardware, and
B) they take much longer to sort it than anyone else I've known.

Where did I ask for 24hr support? I started out by retracting my recommendation and stating why. You've escalated this discussion from a rather reasonable point I made... The hardware's is not 'excellent' like I thought it was and worse still their warranty procedure is definitely on the lowest end of the scale I've ever dealt with. In fact, they're as bad as scan were in the bad old days.
____________________
current: ducati monster 750
past: hyosung gt250r, bajaj pulsar 180, hyosung gt 125 comet
@thomasgarrard | www.straitjkt.com | www.racingseven.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer



Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:18 - 14 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

So thats Apple who charge considerably more than Lenovo, in fact you could get the business warranty and still save money. Didn't they also try and rip of the Italians over extended warranties and get smacked down?
Acer have had a bigger consumer presence within Europe for years so hardly unexpected. In fact PC world are service agents for them iirc but thats hardly a positive to my mind.

Lenovo have only moved over to consumer products in the last few years, they are still gearing up.

For all of the above why did you not check before buying what the warranty situation is?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

daemonoid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:56 - 14 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
So thats Apple who charge considerably more than Lenovo, in fact you could get the business warranty and still save money. Didn't they also try and rip of the Italians over extended warranties and get smacked down?
Acer have had a bigger consumer presence within Europe for years so hardly unexpected. In fact PC world are service agents for them iirc but thats hardly a positive to my mind.

Lenovo have only moved over to consumer products in the last few years, they are still gearing up.

For all of the above why did you not check before buying what the warranty situation is?


Asus... And Lenovo bought the think pad and its distribution & support from IBM for exactly this reason.

No, I didn't because I can always make do. The fact I've found out it is this poor is why I'm suggesting others do not bother using them. Learn from my experience type thing - Lenovo's support suck so I suggest not buying one.

Why is this so hard to wrap your head around? I'm ok the world is continuing... My work continues to get done... But... I retract my old recommendation and now suggest not doing because I've discovered how much their particular policy sucks.
____________________
current: ducati monster 750
past: hyosung gt250r, bajaj pulsar 180, hyosung gt 125 comet
@thomasgarrard | www.straitjkt.com | www.racingseven.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 54 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.16 Sec - Server Load: 0.91 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 149.49 Kb