Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Roofing work while a tenant

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Pie-Roe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:58 - 01 Dec 2014    Post subject: Roofing work while a tenant Reply with quote

I'm currently a tenant in a flat.

I've lived here for 3 years with no problems, and the landlord is generally a pretty decent guy. He needed to get the roof redone over the flat, told me about it no problems.

Issue is that it's not going to be two days like he said, 2 weeks instead, and after an hour everything I own is now covered in a thin layer of dust and crumbed ceiling.

I'm a bit peeved about the mess and extra noise for two weeks, but before I ask for a reduction in rent or even just some money towards cleaning stuff, I want to gauge opinions on how reasonable it is.
Previous: GSF600, FZR600 x2, ZXR750, XT600 Tenere, CB125, CZ125, ETZ 250, ER5, CCM R30, DRZ400, RF600x4, RF900x2, GS500, VTR1000F, 640 SMC, CB250 NIGHTHAWK, GT550x3, GPX750 TE610, CB500, X11x2, SV650, ZING 125, TL1000R,CB250 Superdream, CBR1100XX

daemonoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:33 - 01 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landlord is maintaining the property, good on him.

Many landlords would leave it until water damages all your stuff and then not compensate you because you hadn't warned them about it.

Sounds like your landlord is a good landlord, complaining about him renovating the property you're in seems a tad counter productive. If I had a tenant who complained about something like this I'd definitely think 'stuff it, bare minimum from now on...'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Pie-Roe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:48 - 01 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sort of agree with what you are saying, but I am moving out in 6 weeks, and there's a handover period of a month he could have booked the work for. He said it was weather dependant and I was away for a month in summer.

It's not just a little bit of noise and inconvenience. it's like someones taken a dust extraction unit and spewed it everywhere. I have to redo all my washing, go through all my books on the open shelf and clean them off etc.

I wasn't informed of when the work would start, to prepare by covering stuff, not having two loads of washing hanging etc. I also was told it was two days, so I didn't bother making arrangements to stay elsewhere, but for two weeks it's a bit excessive.

https://youtu.be/IODDj4DMm6Y
Sorry for potato filming.
Previous: GSF600, FZR600 x2, ZXR750, XT600 Tenere, CB125, CZ125, ETZ 250, ER5, CCM R30, DRZ400, RF600x4, RF900x2, GS500, VTR1000F, 640 SMC, CB250 NIGHTHAWK, GT550x3, GPX750 TE610, CB500, X11x2, SV650, ZING 125, TL1000R,CB250 Superdream, CBR1100XX

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:45 - 01 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds more like youre dealing with a dickhead contractor more than a dickhead landlord.

I've just been made free of from scaffolding over all my ground anchors, front and back for 2 weeks (they finished the job day 1).
I feel your pain. Sad

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:35 - 01 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitch at the contractor about cleaning up in your flat, and ask them to give you some dust sheets. Also tell them you want them to hoover up all their shite seeing as how they didn't put dust sheets down in the first place

I think its unfair on the landlord to claim a rent reduction from the landlord, but you mention to him him that you are a bit inconvenienced and considering it, then perhaps ask if he can get the contractors to come down and clean up after themselves, and perhaps suggest that he could threaten to withhold the equivalent of an agreed amount of your rent money from the contractors till it's done.

I dunno, I don't think the landlord is at fault at all.
Why should he suffer for minging contractors?

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 21:45 - 01 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Why should he suffer for minging contractors?

Because he contracted them maybe?

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:51 - 01 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

He probably doesnt even know that there is a problem.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:51 - 01 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:

I'm a landlord. Damned if you do and damned if you don't it would seem.
However, I do the bulk of my own maintenance to my properties as I come
from a building background so I don't have that problem. If something needs sorting in any of mine I do it myself.
It's the only way to be sure.

Pie-Roe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:53 - 01 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sload wrote:
He probably doesnt even know that there is a problem.

I did tell him when I asked how long they would be there for. Now I've found out it's two weeks and informed the landlord of this, he said he'd get back to me with a solution and was apologetic about it so hopefully all good.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 23:46 - 01 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
sickpup wrote:

I'm a landlord. Damned if you do and damned if you don't it would seem.
However, I do the bulk of my own maintenance to my properties as I come
from a building background so I don't have that problem. If something needs sorting in any of mine I do it myself.
It's the only way to be sure.

Just like any other job really. It isn't pyro's job to sort out problems with contractors, its pyro's responsibilty to report it to the landlord who passes it on.

STONEY!
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:27 - 02 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best to speak to your landlord, chances are they will sort something out. Most landlord/tenant disputes are down to poor communication either way.

I recently had to deal with one of my tenants complaining of water damage to their property after instead of contacting me they got a plumber in to replace a faulty tap who didn't know where to turn the water off and ended up flooding the property. They tried to invoice me for the damage and the plumber!

If they had just called me I would have dropped in, turned the water off fitted a tap and job done.

On the flip side the tenants at my other property suffered in silence with a faulty boiler for 6 months becuase they thought it was their responsibility to fix it, the thing only needed repressurising.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

prawny1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:20 - 02 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just plaster dust or has the insulation been disturbed, good chance of the insulation being asbestos wool if it is old stuff and you don't want that shit flying round your flat.

Some people are only alive cos its against the law to kill them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

daemonoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:15 - 02 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

prawny1 wrote:
Is it just plaster dust or has the insulation been disturbed, good chance of the insulation being asbestos wool if it is old stuff and you don't want that shit flying round your flat.

There isn't that much of a chance:

asbestos people wrote:
Asbestos has been used in a variety of other building materials, for example, in decorative coatings such as textured paints and plasters. These are still widely in place but supply and application has been prohibited since 1988. Plastic floor tiles, cushion flooring, roofing felts, tapes, ropes, felts and blankets can also contain asbestos. Loft or cavity wall insulation does not contain asbestos.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

prawny1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:48 - 02 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

which is why I said if it is the old stuff

J4mes
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:28 - 02 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read last sentence.

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:39 - 02 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speak to the landlord politely, and thank him for actually getting the roof sorted.

Mention to him the issues, but make it clear you aren't blaming him, just that could he have a word with the contractors about it.

Even if it is not asbestos, it is still not gonna do your lungs any good at all... there is a reason people wear dust masks when working around lots of dust and particles.

Looking at the video it seems that it is currently not suitable to live in given the noise and mess, but it could be that it only takes a couple of days of knocking and banging, not the full two weeks.

Either way, speak to your landlord but remember not to have a go at him... he sounds like a good one for actually getting it sorted... he can then speak to the contractors and find out how much of the 2 weeks the noise and mess will be like that for, (and if it will get any worse), and get some dust sheets or something from them

prawny1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:54 - 02 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

J4mes wrote:
Read last sentence.

Only applies to stuff produced since 1988 not all buildings have been redone since, if your house is older than the late 80's chances are you could still have asbestos insulation.

A close friend of one of my old gaffers died from asbestosis a few years back he used to build bikes in his loft in the 80-90's which is what caused his early death so it did used to be asbestos.

Best to be safe and ask what it is than to be breathing it in not knowing, it takes anything up to 30 years for asbestosis to take hold.

Pie-Roe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:17 - 02 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spoke again to landlord today and showed him pics of the mess everywhere. He was very apologetic and said he'd asked the roofers if this was going to be an issue and they said no.

He's offered to reimburse the cost of dust sheets, and a shop for cleaning stuff and extra washing detergent etc, which I think is pretty fair.

Also I just wanted to pick up on daemonoid's point here:

daemonoid wrote:

Sounds like your landlord is a good landlord, complaining about him renovating the property you're in seems a tad counter productive. If I had a tenant who complained about something like this I'd definitely think 'stuff it, bare minimum from now on...'

Yeah he's a good landlord, and many landlords would just leave it. But they shouldn't, just because I happened to get a good one that isn't screwing me every chance, doesn't mean I should have to live in filth for two weeks. I seem to recall you are a landlord. If you told me stuff it, bare minimum from now and wouldn't replace things that get broken, I'd not pay rent until you fixed it. I know how long the court process takes for eviction.

On the other side of the coin, I'm an excellent tenant. I keep the place clean, do maintenance myself for free, look after the building, helped out when the clinic downstairs was being burgled etc. I've never been late with rent and I've let him in without notice before for small details.

By your reasoning, because a lot of tenants are cunts, he should be bending over backwards for me.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 146 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1