Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Brake Judder.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Dave M
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 03 May 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:27 - 22 Dec 2014    Post subject: Brake Judder. Reply with quote

Afternoon. Bought a Suzuki Burgman 125 as a winter hack and did a service including new pads front and rear. Also had to buy a used front caliper because pad pin was seized completely. Anyway put pads in and new fluid. All went well enough. Took it out for a spin and I'm getting a heavy juddering when using front brake at higher speed (not noticeable at lower speeds) Could this be a warped disc, bearings or a dodgy caliper? Any ideas please? Cheers.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

monkeybiker
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Sep 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:45 - 22 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a warped disc to me but I not an expert on this.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:06 - 22 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take off the front disc put it on a sheet of glass to see if it is warped.
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave M
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 03 May 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:28 - 22 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
Take off the front disc put it on a sheet of glass to see if it is warped.


Easier said than done! Allen bolts not looking the best! I'll give it a go see what I can find! Cheers.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:36 - 22 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
dont try remove the bolts with normal alllen keys.
use hex bits. but before you attempt to loosen them, put the bit in & give it a sharp whack with a hammer.
these bolts are usually threadlocked so use a breaker bar. trust me, i found out the hard way, with sheared/rounded bolts.
cheers,
GAZ
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:14 - 22 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

stirlinggaz wrote:
dont try ... alllen keys.... use hex bits ... breaker bar... sharp whack with a hammer.


https://media.tumblr.com/9126837020f3c2c41d7f71c404e2b8bf/tumblr_inline_n9qfb7kWFA1qzeyud.gif

Stop me if I'm wrong but a hex bit on a breaker bar is in essence an allen key made of multiple components. You end up with the exact same issues with keeping the turning forces in line with the bolt head.

An impact driver is what the OP really wants. Short sharp shock and a properly aligned turning force all rolled into one.
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:39 - 22 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the head bearings. Thumbs Up

Standing still, put the front brake on and try rocking the bike backwards and forwards to see if there's any movement in the head bearing.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:40 - 22 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
stirlinggaz wrote:
dont try ... alllen keys.... use hex bits ... breaker bar... sharp whack with a hammer.


https://media.tumblr.com/9126837020f3c2c41d7f71c404e2b8bf/tumblr_inline_n9qfb7kWFA1qzeyud.gif

Stop me if I'm wrong but a hex bit on a breaker bar is in essence an allen key made of multiple components. You end up with the exact same issues with keeping the turning forces in line with the bolt head.

An impact driver is what the OP really wants. Short sharp shock and a properly aligned turning force all rolled into one.


hi,
impact driver would do the job also (probably), but i have had more luck doing it the way described.
the extra leverage created by breaker bar helps get that satisfying crack when you break the threadlok on these buggers.
https://www.mytoolstore.com/sk/41427.jpg &
https://www.matcotools.com/ProductImages/C24EFHM.jpg is hardly "multiple components". its a bit & a breaker bar. less components than an impact driver. unless im misunderstanding you? Thinking

cheers,
GAZ
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave M
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 03 May 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:14 - 22 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vincent wrote:
Sounds lethal Shocked

What does the lever feel like?

Are the pads sticking on?


Lever feels good. Checked pistons and they are moving freely. I've also checked for movement in stearing head bearings but seem ok to me but I'm no expert! Feels ok while riding, no clicking feel going over bumps etc. Only time I feel anything is when I'm braking. I think I will have it checked by mechanic for peace of mind! I have a breaker and an impact so I will have a go at taking disc off and checking it for warpage!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Eddie Hitler
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Nov 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:10 - 22 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bet is on the head bearings, simply spinning the front wheel by hand should show if your discs are bent or not.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

andys675
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:32 - 22 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vincent wrote:
If no dial gauge, you can sometimes tell if the disc is out by taping something on the fork leg or wherever to act as an indicator....something that just touches the disc......... and spinning the wheel, if you see what I mean. In fact, you can usually see it by just spinning the wheel.

The disc bolts will probably have loctite too.......so will need a hot gun to free them off.


this, basically get the front wheel off the floor, take the caliper off so the wheel spins easily and hold a screwdriver against the fork leg with the tip against the disc and spin the wheel, if it's warped you will find it scrapes against the screwdriver tip partially, but not all the way round
____________________
Some people feel the rain, others just get wet.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave M
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 03 May 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:14 - 23 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

andys675 wrote:
Vincent wrote:
If no dial gauge, you can sometimes tell if the disc is out by taping something on the fork leg or wherever to act as an indicator....something that just touches the disc......... and spinning the wheel, if you see what I mean. In fact, you can usually see it by just spinning the wheel.

The disc bolts will probably have loctite too.......so will need a hot gun to free them off.


this, basically get the front wheel off the floor, take the caliper off so the wheel spins easily and hold a screwdriver against the fork leg with the tip against the disc and spin the wheel, if it's warped you will find it scrapes against the screwdriver tip partially, but not all the way round


What I'm going to do is use a pencil so it will leave a mark on the disc and see what that shows. Hope it's just the disc not bearings! Thanks for all the replies. I'll let you know what I find!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

UrbanRacer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:50 - 23 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

As everyone else says, Warped disc or Head stock bearings are done.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave M
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 03 May 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:57 - 23 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liam_ wrote:
As everyone else says, Warped disc or Head stock bearings are done.


From previous experience when riding with head stock bearings were gone it felt different to what I can feel now. I believe it's the disc but as I said I'm no expert! Fingers crossed!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

whitedevil
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Nov 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:20 - 23 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do find there is some run out on the discs, remove them and clean up the area where they mount to the bike and you may find they aren't warped at all. Its also worth cleaning the bobbins the discs float on as these can get seized up and throw the disc out of alignment.
To clean the bobbins put a nut and bolt through them and tighten it up and it will press on the bobbin and spin it, freeing it off, spray brake cleaner on it while you do this to clean and crap out of there.
____________________
GPZ500 sold ~ CBR600FS-2 sold ~ ZX6R sold ~ Street Triple R
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave M
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 03 May 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:24 - 23 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think I may have found the problem. The disc that's on the wheel is the upgraded disc which only has 3 bolts securing it on but the wheel is the older model which has threads for 6 bolts. I'm thinking that the disc is badly warped due to uneven wear across the disc due to only having 3 bolts? Does that make sense? Could this be the problem? I can't get the bolts out for love nor money. I've used breaker and impact but don't have a torch to heat it up! I've seen a complete wheel on the bay for decent money so might buy that if I can't get these bolts off. What do you guys think? The disc is fairly warped just by looking at it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:37 - 23 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

weedave wrote:
Think I may have found the problem. The disc that's on the wheel is the upgraded disc which only has 3 bolts securing it on but the wheel is the older model which has threads for 6 bolts. I'm thinking that the disc is badly warped due to uneven wear across the disc due to only having 3 bolts? Does that make sense? Could this be the problem? I can't get the bolts out for love nor money. I've used breaker and impact but don't have a torch to heat it up! I've seen a complete wheel on the bay for decent money so might buy that if I can't get these bolts off. What do you guys think? The disc is fairly warped just by looking at it.


It COULD be that with three bolts there isn't enough heat dissipation when hard braking. As the head conducts through the disc the bolts and into the wheel as a heat sink (which is why some people don't recommend thread lock).

Maybe a new complete front end?
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bradh511
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 01 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:51 - 23 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

All Im going to say is impact screw driver works wonders and plus gas or wd40
____________________
Theory 11-10-12 lets hope i get mod 1 and 2 done by the 18th of jan 2013 Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bradh511
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 01 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:54 - 23 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

All Im going to say is impact screw driver works wonders and plus gas or wd40
____________________
Theory 11-10-12 lets hope i get mod 1 and 2 done by the 18th of jan 2013 Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave M
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 03 May 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:36 - 23 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

bradh511 wrote:
All Im going to say is impact screw driver works wonders and plus gas or wd40


Tried all I could except heat. I'm not giving up yet!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Dave M
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 03 May 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:54 - 24 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vincent wrote:
Any hair dryers in the house?



Yes! Would that be sufficient?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 294 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.15 Sec - Server Load: 0.58 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 129.94 Kb