Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


GPZ500s...Oil light likes to come on at low revs, what do?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

alex965
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 01 Apr 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:41 - 27 Dec 2014    Post subject: GPZ500s...Oil light likes to come on at low revs, what do? Reply with quote

First of all, apologies for the complete mechanical ignorance, I have been riding air cooled billy basic 4 stroke 125's up until the 2 weeks ago, so this is all new to me.

Afternoon all, picked up a 1994 kwak gpz500s with 52,000 miles a few weeks ago. It has been fine for all of the 800 miles I have put on it in that time, starts on the button, rides nice and smooth. But for some reason, the oil light seems to keep coming on at anything below about 2k revs. As soon as the revs go above about2-2.5k revs the oil light goes off, and stays off.

This morning, it was doing the usual, but for the first 15 mins of riding, under 'harsh' acceleration, the oil light would come on for a second of two, and then go off. I parked the bike up, and on my journey home it then stopped doing that and only came on below 2k revs again. Just a note, it doesn't always come on under 2k revs, sometimes it won't come on at all. As for the oil light going on under heavy acceleration, (it happened three times in a 20 minute journey) could that be anything to do with the really bad cold snap that it was sat out in all last night? Obviously I cover the bike best I can, but with no garage I'm wondering if the cold had got to it in some way?

Obviously I need to wait until the bike cools down fully before I can check the oil level, because it's warm, at the moment the sight glass is showing no oil.

My mate I bought it off had a garage do an oil change around 1500 miles ago (I know because I have the receipt). And I can't see any signs of any oil leaks, there appears to be no burning in the exhaust fumes either, it smokes a little, but only when it's very cold with the choke on. After that the exhaust gasses are always clear.

Sorry for the ramble, is this something I should be concerned about? Is this normal for the gpz500? Is it safe to keep riding like this? I really don't want the little kwak to go boom.
____________________
Passed A2 licence 19th Dec '14.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Taught2BCauti...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:53 - 27 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the oil level with the bike upright - not cocked-over on the side-stand. It should be roughly centre of the sight-glass.

Fresh oil should be honey-coloured - if it is black, could be a problem with piston rings or worn pistons/cylinders.
____________________
Honda Varadero XL125(V8)
www.TheFutureIsHere.eu
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ws4936
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Sep 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:59 - 27 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like your oil is low.
As mentioned take the bike off it's side stand, and hold the bike upright. Fill oil so that it can be seen in the sight glass. The viscosity changes as it heats up which would explain the oil light at low revs.
Monitor the oil over the few weeks ahead. If she's using a lot then it could underline another problem.
____________________
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

alex965
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 01 Apr 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:05 - 27 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick replies. I always put it on the centrestand when I check the oil level, I learnt my lesson after an embarrassing incident two weeks into riding a 125 when I thought there was no oil because I was checking the level when it was on its sidestand Embarassed

Ok, the bike has cooled down a fair bit now, the temp gauge is just below cold although there is still a little residual heat left on the cylinders. I have just checked the oil sight glass, it is showing no oil in it Shocked There is some residual oil on the back of the sight glass, and that is honey coloured. Should I top it up until it shows full now or should I wait until the bike is dead stone cold? I have to do a journey in less than an hour as well :/
____________________
Passed A2 licence 19th Dec '14.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Casper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:48 - 27 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now. And check the oil on a warm engine not cold. Waiting 5 minutes after a ride should be plenty time for it to settle and you check. Don't panic if you come out in the morning and its slightly over the fill when cold. You will always have oil sitting in wee nooks and in the rocker what may trickle down overnight.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

robertw95
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 22 Nov 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:59 - 27 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its showing no oil a few minutes after turning it off then its low, for piece of mind id be dropping the oil and filling up after checking manual for correct amount
____________________
07 Dt125r, sv650s k8, zx6rr 04
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

alex965
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 01 Apr 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:23 - 27 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all, I've topped the oil up and the oil light has gone off. I am slightly alarmed though, I have poured in 750ml of oil and the sight glass is only just to the bottom level now, I'm going to top it up until the centre line but, is it normal for a bike to drink through nearly a litre of oil in ~2000 miles? Shocked
____________________
Passed A2 licence 19th Dec '14.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

1198
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Jan 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:44 - 27 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex965 wrote:
Thanks all, I've topped the oil up and the oil light has gone off. I am slightly alarmed though, I have poured in 750ml of oil and the sight glass is only just to the bottom level now, I'm going to top it up until the centre line but, is it normal for a bike to drink through nearly a litre of oil in ~2000 miles? Shocked


Nearly a litre in 2000 miles? I wouldn't worry too much. I would however keep a close eye on it (sorry for stating the obvious!), and check it weekly at least.
Some of the early EXUPs drank that in half the miles if I remember - from new!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

robertw95
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 22 Nov 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:46 - 27 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally change my oil + filter every 3000 miles 2700ml goes in and out each time, im guessing its burning oil checked compression?
____________________
07 Dt125r, sv650s k8, zx6rr 04
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

alex965
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 01 Apr 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:44 - 27 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update, have now put a full litre of oil into the bike and the oil light is not coming on at all now, however when warm and on level ground, the sight glass is still showing only a little oil in the bottom.

After taking it for a short run, there is now what looks like a white gunk in the sight glass, and taking the top screw cap off to top up the oil more, there was some white gunk on that too...I have never seen that before and I have no idea what it is. Is that bad news?

I think it's off tomorrow to get more oil to do a complete oil change.

Edit: Doing some googling regarding the white milky residue in the sight glass and the screw cap at the top, I have found answers ranging from 'it's just cold weather causing condensation in the engine, don't worry about it, it will burn off' to 'your engine is phukt in many ways and will explode soon'.
____________________
Passed A2 licence 19th Dec '14.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

CBRMAN94
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 10 Jun 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:12 - 27 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Milky residue could be from either condensation in the oil from not getting up to temperature or a head gasket so both statements are true. Seeing as it's cold and it's the first time it's happened, i'd say condensation. Give it a good run and see if it clears.

I'll add that my own GPZ500 was particularly prone to the condensation...
____________________
Honda CBR-RW6 (Sold) - Kawasaki GPZ500s (Sold) - Honda CG125 (Project) - Honda CB750 Cafe racer (Project) - Yamaha FZR400RR
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

alex965
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 01 Apr 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:29 - 27 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBRMAN94 wrote:
Milky residue could be from either condensation in the oil from not getting up to temperature or a head gasket so both statements are true. Seeing as it's cold and it's the first time it's happened, i'd say condensation. Give it a good run and see if it clears.

I'll add that my own GPZ500 was particularly prone to the condensation...


thanks for advice, this is the first time ive seen the white residue. The bike usually lives in cornwal, im visiting family in the west midlands and it is absolutely freezing here at the moment so hopefully that is all it is. I think i am going to so a complete oil change tomorrow and give it a good long run and see how it gpes. Apologies for any crap typing, trying to type this all out on a tiny touchscreen.
____________________
Passed A2 licence 19th Dec '14.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Casper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:33 - 28 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short trips, stop start will develop condensation so just go for that idea just now. Keep an eye on the coolant level just incase. You can get a kit that tests the water to see if any gas is in for head gasket leak detections but not sure if they are worth the bother.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:37 - 28 Dec 2014    Post subject: Re: GPZ500s...Oil light likes to come on at low revs, what d Reply with quote

alex965 wrote:
had a garage do an oil change around 1500 miles ago (I know because I have the receipt).

The only thing that proves is that they took his money.

Don't sweat it, just keep an eye on it.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ws4936
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Sep 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:46 - 28 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

My D6 and D7 was prone to the "white stuff" also, but then my commute was short, and the bike would barely warm up only to cool only to slightly warm up again to take me home only to cool again. a good long blast once a week or two would eliminate the moisture and the white stuff would be gone.
Check the manual also, because iirc you check the oil off the stand(s), whilst holding the bike level (on both wheels). Either way if she's empty, putting the bike on both wheels won't miraculously top her up a litre or so...but it'll give you an acurate reading when topping up.
____________________
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 282 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.52 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 86.97 Kb