Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Mancave Leaking

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

totalllama82
Crazy Courier



Joined: 03 Jan 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:47 - 09 Jan 2015    Post subject: Mancave Leaking Reply with quote

Oh dear, after some heavy rain on the run up to Christmas my 4 month old felt gave up the ghost and started letting in the rain.

The cave is a 12 x 6 pent shed which sits next to the house.

Anyway, I refelted the roof last week with brand new stuff and sealant between the sheets of felt. I reckoned that I'd done a pretty good job of it too. All of the layers overlapped correctly and I used clout nails at 50mm intervals.

Tonight I go into the man cave to find that the shed is leaking like a sieve at the lower end. There is no sign on the roof itself of any damage to the felt. It just seems to be letting rain water in Sad

So where am I going wrong? The bike and all of my stuff is currently sitting in a big puddle of water with more rain and shit weather forecast.

I'm now tempted to get a pro roofer to do *something* to it as the contents are just going to get destroyed.
____________________
Gone: Haotian HT125-8 / Yamaha YZF 600R Thundercat / Kawasaki ZX9R C2
Current: Kawasaki ZZR 1400 A7F
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:56 - 09 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting nails through felt might have something to do with it?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

totalllama82
Crazy Courier



Joined: 03 Jan 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:23 - 09 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see! I studied a few tutorials on Youtube on felting the roof and they used clout nails in the same way I did.

The inside of the roof feels damp right enough - it's pausible that this could be the cause.

The trouble is, your average sheet of felt is 1m wide. My roof is 2m wide meaning I run 3 widths of felt (2 rows of clout nails). I can't see how the wind wouldn't just tear up the felt if it wasn't nailed down.

Pretty confused right now. I've looked at both of my neighbours and they have lines of clout nails at the seems. The difference is that mine is a pent and theirs is a regular apex roof meaning the pitch on mine is substantially less - more sitting water?
____________________
Gone: Haotian HT125-8 / Yamaha YZF 600R Thundercat / Kawasaki ZX9R C2
Current: Kawasaki ZZR 1400 A7F
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pdg
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:38 - 09 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have water coming through your roof, the most likely cause is that there is a hole of some description. To stop the water, I recommend finding said hole, and making not a hole any more Wink



It's entirely normal to put clouts through the felt. Just so long as you have the appropriate amount of overlap and the clouts are properly in they shouldn't leak. It's usually a good ldea to put decent felt adhesive in the overlap as well, and a blob under the head of each clout when you put them in.

When I did my shed roof, I put the 'sheets' of felt over the roof (with a full covering of bitumen), instead of along it - the joins are 'vertical' instead of horizontal. I used clouts to hold it down, then I put a treated batten along each join (with a double bead of bitumen mastic under) which covered all the clouts.

Problems I have seen with shed roofs have mainly been because people use shed felt (which is paper thin, hard to work with without tearing and sometimes actually lets water through...) I have also seen someone cut off the ungritted section along the roll and then just butt the sheets up against each other - the 'bare' part is for the overlap.
____________________
Any and all advice given should not be followed - if you have to ask it means you don't know so get a man in to do it for you.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

totalllama82
Crazy Courier



Joined: 03 Jan 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:46 - 09 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put a bead of gutter sealant along the lengths of the sheets before nailing. The sheets overlap by a good 0.5 meters (3 x 1m sheets on a roof thats 2m wide). They are length wise rather than vertical like you suggest.

I bought the best felt I could find in B&Q on boxing day. 8m for £32 rather than going for the paper thin value stuff.

I could go and buy more stuff but I reckon i'm starting to get out of my depth and am going to throw good money after bad. I was fairly confident that I was doing it right going by the Youtube videos and using decent materials which is why i'm so baffled.

Any ideas if a roofer would take on this job? any ideas of costs if I prepared the roof back to the wood?
____________________
Gone: Haotian HT125-8 / Yamaha YZF 600R Thundercat / Kawasaki ZX9R C2
Current: Kawasaki ZZR 1400 A7F
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bikeless
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:48 - 09 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
Putting nails through felt might have something to do with it?


I use clout nails on all my sheds,roofs have never leaked,felts currently about 6 years old now and its fine.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

totalllama82
Crazy Courier



Joined: 03 Jan 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:01 - 09 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Researching a little and it seems that a 1 piece rubber roof which is actually glued down may be an alternative. It comes in at £90 though so is an expensive experiment.

I just want to get the bloody thing watertight so that I can insulate and line the walls and floor. Sad Sad
____________________
Gone: Haotian HT125-8 / Yamaha YZF 600R Thundercat / Kawasaki ZX9R C2
Current: Kawasaki ZZR 1400 A7F
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:19 - 09 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

totalllama82 wrote:
Researching a little and it seems that a 1 piece rubber roof which is actually glued down may be an alternative. It comes in at £90 though so is an expensive experiment.

I just want to get the bloody thing watertight so that I can insulate and line the walls and floor. Sad Sad


EPDM roofing, if done properly is superb stuff and will outlast the shed. It's also a doddle to fit - I have it on two sheds and can recommend it. The stuff I bought came from rubber4roofs - helpful people and a fast service too.

Make sure you buy enough to give a good all round overlap and once it's glued on the flat, turn the excess under the overhang and fix it with a batten on top, screwed through to the structure under the rubber - this stops wind from getting under it and causing it to lift.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Chuffin Nora
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Sep 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:20 - 09 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the pitch the 6' axis or the 12'?
I presume that it's the 6'.
Do tell.
____________________
There's a fine line between integrity
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

totalllama82
Crazy Courier



Joined: 03 Jan 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:37 - 09 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The apex (high side) runs along the 12' length. Its around 6'6" high and runs down to around 5'10" at the leaky end. The 6' measurements are the 'gable' ends of the structure.

The low end sits around 3 inches from the side of my house.
____________________
Gone: Haotian HT125-8 / Yamaha YZF 600R Thundercat / Kawasaki ZX9R C2
Current: Kawasaki ZZR 1400 A7F
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pdg
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:48 - 09 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I would have put the strips of felt across the 6' so the joins all point toward the house. The joins should overlap in the direction of the prevailing wind (less chance of any lifting due to said wind) and then I would batten along those joins.

From your description, I think I have it right that your joins run along the long way (3 strips along the 12' length). Did you start on the low side, putting the next bit of felt over the top of the lower one? If you started at the high side, water will very easily get under the next sheet....

EPDM, as said, is an excellent solution even if it is a bit more expensive than felt.

BTW, if you think £90 is a bit expensive, don't even bother phoning a roofer..... Around here, I would be surprised to see change from £300 for a bit of roof that size.
____________________
Any and all advice given should not be followed - if you have to ask it means you don't know so get a man in to do it for you.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

totalllama82
Crazy Courier



Joined: 03 Jan 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:59 - 09 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdg wrote:
Personally, I would have put the strips of felt across the 6' so the joins all point toward the house. The joins should overlap in the direction of the prevailing wind (less chance of any lifting due to said wind) and then I would batten along those joins.

From your description, I think I have it right that your joins run along the long way (3 strips along the 12' length). Did you start on the low side, putting the next bit of felt over the top of the lower one? If you started at the high side, water will very easily get under the next sheet....

EPDM, as said, is an excellent solution even if it is a bit more expensive than felt.

BTW, if you think £90 is a bit expensive, don't even bother phoning a roofer..... Around here, I would be surprised to see change from £300 for a bit of roof that size.


You're right, the joins run along the length - if it wasn't so dark i'd stick some photos up. I started at the low side adding a bead of sealant under each length and the nails to secure. It's layered so that, in theory, the water doesn't encounter an edge where it wont freely run onto the next level.

I had about £200 in mind for a pro job - £90 being for the materials for a DIY job. I suppose the prices may be a little better up here though.

I might just try your suggestion of the seams running towards the house with batons away from the prevailing wind. I'm in a pretty exposed place - last night the winds hit 90mph.
____________________
Gone: Haotian HT125-8 / Yamaha YZF 600R Thundercat / Kawasaki ZX9R C2
Current: Kawasaki ZZR 1400 A7F
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Chuffin Nora
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Sep 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:06 - 09 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

totalllama82 wrote:
The apex (high side) runs along the 12' length. Its around 6'6" high and runs down to around 5'10" at the leaky end. The 6' measurements are the 'gable' ends of the structure.

The low end sits around 3 inches from the side of my house.

OK, ta.
Now then, I presume that the roof proper sits atop purlins attached apex to eave.
Sectional dimensions of purlins and spacing between each, please.

Don't panic, nearly there!
Satisfaction guaranteed!
____________________
There's a fine line between integrity
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mentalboy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:08 - 09 Jan 2015    Post subject: Re: Mancave Leaking Reply with quote

totalllama82 wrote:

Tonight I go into the man cave to find that the shed is leaking like a sieve at the lower end. There is no sign on the roof itself of any damage to the felt. It just seems to be letting rain water in Sad

So where am I going wrong? The bike and all of my stuff is currently sitting in a big puddle of water with more rain and shit weather forecast.



It is very unlikely that clout nails in the wrong place will have let through enough water for a 'big puddle'. 'Leaking like a sieve' would imply that it should be fairly easy to trace the place where you have water coming in!!!
____________________
Make mine a Corona.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:40 - 09 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was the felt folded or in a roll? If it was folded and had something stacked on it there's the chance it might be split along the fold.
____________________
a.k.a 'Geri'

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

totalllama82
Crazy Courier



Joined: 03 Jan 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:38 - 09 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuffin Nora wrote:

OK, ta.
Now then, I presume that the roof proper sits atop purlins attached apex to eave.
Sectional dimensions of purlins and spacing between each, please.

Don't panic, nearly there!
Satisfaction guaranteed!


Length wise there are beams of wood - 12' in length. They are each around 2ft apart.

mentalboy wrote:
It is very unlikely that clout nails in the wrong place will have let through enough water for a 'big puddle'. 'Leaking like a sieve' would imply that it should be fairly easy to trace the place where you have water coming in!!!


From the inside I can't tell although some areas of the roof appear damper than others - mostly from the middle down. I think i'd need to lift the felt. The last time I lifted the felt and reckoned it was from the middle down.

Pete. wrote:
Was the felt folded or in a roll? If it was folded and had something stacked on it there's the chance it might be split along the fold.


It was in a roll this time and the time before. I was pretty careful not to rip or fold it in an extreme way.
____________________
Gone: Haotian HT125-8 / Yamaha YZF 600R Thundercat / Kawasaki ZX9R C2
Current: Kawasaki ZZR 1400 A7F
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

totalllama82
Crazy Courier



Joined: 03 Jan 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:10 - 11 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like the EPDM might be the way forward. I'm going to try and have a chat with a roofer to see what they'd take to do a professional job.

It's now got about 3" of snow on the roof and there is a constant trickle of water coming down and into the floor. I'm doing my best to mop up the puddles and have buckets under the worst bits. I need to get it sorted soon though Sad
____________________
Gone: Haotian HT125-8 / Yamaha YZF 600R Thundercat / Kawasaki ZX9R C2
Current: Kawasaki ZZR 1400 A7F
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

totalllama82
Crazy Courier



Joined: 03 Jan 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:27 - 11 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the EPDM is the way forward. It's around £102 for my 12x6 shed for the kit.

In the mean time, I've bought a massive tarpaulin which I plan to attach semi-permanently to the roof until the weather gets better. I tried to put it on today single handed but the wind was whipping up and the rain lashing. Not a chance!
____________________
Gone: Haotian HT125-8 / Yamaha YZF 600R Thundercat / Kawasaki ZX9R C2
Current: Kawasaki ZZR 1400 A7F
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

spriddler
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 15 Jul 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:26 - 12 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had exactly the same problem after very carefully refelting my 12' long x 8' wide apex shed with top quality felt, oodles of ruberoid gloop between the joins and with the edges well wrapped over the lower edge of the roof..
Eventually discovered that it only leaked in rain AND high winds and that the wet was blowing in between the roof and the side.
____________________
1954 Matchless 350. 1947 AJS 500. 2012 Kawasaki ER6, 2014 Honda CBF 125 (aka The Grudge Special') 1926 ATCO motor mower, Motorhome, People carrier....and vintage bicycle.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bikenut
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Nov 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:37 - 13 Jan 2015    Post subject: shed roof Reply with quote

god is good at ripping off the felt isn't he/she!!

mine has had rounded "ends" or "bottoms" fitted so the felt doesn't crack etc due to the std right angle bend........

the inner structure of the roof panels have been reinforced where the run of the cloat nails would normally be, so im nailing into a thicker thickness rather than the thin roof panel timber.........

also the felt is running vertically rather than horizontally, across the roof from side to side rather than from end to end, and the joints a capped with 2x1 screwed into the internal reinforcement timbers etc........the felt has been laid so the joint is wind proof ( wind blows over the joint rather than underneath the joint ) as the prevailing wind is southwesterly ( asof all the uk ) ........overkill perhaps but im fed up of having to replace the bloody felt all the time.

if I could afford the solid recycled thick plastic sheets I would.

pent roof next to the house?? make gap and cover that as well for an extra storage area.
____________________
nuts about bikes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

totalllama82
Crazy Courier



Joined: 03 Jan 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:42 - 13 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I've now strapped down a massive tarpaulin over the whole roof and secured at the 4 sides. Although we haven't had much rain (it's now snow!) the water leaks appear to have dried up.

I've been running a fan heater in there for a few hours at a time which seems to be helping a little. It's probably not powerful enough though.
____________________
Gone: Haotian HT125-8 / Yamaha YZF 600R Thundercat / Kawasaki ZX9R C2
Current: Kawasaki ZZR 1400 A7F
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mentalboy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:48 - 13 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

totalllama82 wrote:

I've been running a fan heater in there for a few hours at a time which seems to be helping a little. It's probably not powerful enough though.


Have you got a fresh airflow as well? Just warming up the air and then letting it cool again will create condensation and rot stuff quicker than if you dunked it in a bucket of water
____________________
Make mine a Corona.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

totalllama82
Crazy Courier



Joined: 03 Jan 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:53 - 13 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
totalllama82 wrote:

I've been running a fan heater in there for a few hours at a time which seems to be helping a little. It's probably not powerful enough though.


Have you got a fresh airflow as well? Just warming up the air and then letting it cool again will create condensation and rot stuff quicker than if you dunked it in a bucket of water


I guess the crack under the door could count as one... it's a long shot though Smile
____________________
Gone: Haotian HT125-8 / Yamaha YZF 600R Thundercat / Kawasaki ZX9R C2
Current: Kawasaki ZZR 1400 A7F
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 260 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.18 Sec - Server Load: 1.04 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 137.21 Kb