Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Wisdom Tooth Woes

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

notbike
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Apr 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:27 - 13 Jan 2015    Post subject: Wisdom Tooth Woes Reply with quote

Went dentist today to get my bottom right wisdom tooth checked cause I bit through my cheek (the fucker is coming out more) and it hurts like a bitch and hasn't been getting better since the bite.

Anyway, he prescribed me some antibiotics to prevent a potential infection, and he's told me the tooth is coming out straight so there's nothing to worry about in terms of whether it's impacted or not. I've taken a couple of those antibiotics and some painkillers today as per instructions.

Just 5 minutes ago I got a really intense onset of ache/pain and felt pressure on my lower right set of teeth, the type of pain that makes you literally sweat in the face. Hurts down to the throat, up to the ear, and all my right side of my jaw and cheek. I imagine that's cause the tooth is coming out more right? It's around half out now.

Nearly fucking passed out and had to lie down, dunno if that's the antibiotics or just me not handling pain. The pains kind of subsiding now anyway.

My question is for those who've had trouble with their wisdom teeth, are they really meant to hurt that fucking bad and was it the antibiotics kicking in that made me nearly pass out?

Solid food is a no-go atm Laughing

Edit: Inb4 get them pulled, already had this discussion 4 times with my dentist, who keeps strongly recommending I don't have them out yet until they're all fully surfaced.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

t121anf
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:51 - 13 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only got lowers, one straight and currently causing a niggle as it cuts through, other is impacted but ok.

Been lucky I guess.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

0l0dom0l0
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:50 - 13 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had my top 2 out not long ago. Dentist said he wouldn't touch the bottom ones so he filled them instead.

Had the top ones out in the chair. Literally took him 5 mins of pulling on each tooth to get them out. Worst experience of my life. My roots were fused and there was a good inch of root in the gum so there was a pretty big fuck off gap left when they were gone. Luckily managed to avoid any infection and didn't have antibiotics either. But it was horrible. I've never experienced pain like it in my life.

It was a week before I was eating solid food again.

Holes are still healing and I had them out 2 months ago.

I'd stick with it and get through it if you can.
____________________
CBT Passed: 30/08/2009, Theory Passed: 31/08/2010, Mod 1 Passed: 6/9/2010, Mod 2 Passed: 13/09/2010. Restriction ended 13/09/2012.

Bikes: 2007 Derbi GPR 50, 1998 Yamaha Fazer 600 (written off), 2002 Yamaha Fazer 600, 1994 CBR 600F, 2003 Triumph Daytona 600, Kawasaki ZX6R J1.....Current: 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 1998 Suzuki TL1000R and a Honda VFR 400 NC30.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mudcow007
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:26 - 14 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh goody!!

i have an appointment to have one of mine out beginning of feb, dentist recommended sedation though, as i have really long roots "supposedly"

never had a tooth out before Sad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

blueglue
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 10 Jun 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:00 - 14 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

i only ever needed one out because it kept getting infected, but to ease your worries i had the injection and he snapped it and had it out of my gob within a minute.

i couldnt believe he had taken it out so quickly he had to fish it out of the pot and show me.

I always slap some vaseline on my lips before going the dentist especially if your having any work done as my lips crack easy.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Minty
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:06 - 14 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

blueglue wrote:
I always slap some vaseline on my lips before going the dentist


https://25.media.tumblr.com/f30d8ff5738b0e6d3b6fde23ed9b7480/tumblr_mkskdscmi51s0dj6vo1_500.gif
____________________
My fingers smell of your mum.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Robster
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:02 - 14 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep they are supposed to hurt that much unfortunately. Get some clove oil and use sparingly on the gum around your tooth - very sparingly, the stuffs quite toxic!

Also keep on the pain meds, and pester your dentist to rip the fucker out, the relief you will feel after is worth it.

Also don't drink the night before yanking time, as I found out the hard way a high blood-alcohol content can nullify the effect of the anisthetic injection Sad
____________________
Up the bum no babies.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:08 - 14 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funnily enough, was off yesterday to go dentist.

My wisdom tooth is impacted however so requires dat surgery. I had 4 teeth sorted whilst there but the wisdom tooth is sore.

Its bad to the point that 450mg of Tramadol JUST got rid of the pain after 5 hours however caused a mass of vomit, would rather that than the pain so I know the feeling Sad Had to take more that night but still, was painful for a while.

Calmed down now, reckon 3-4 days roughly of agony then silence for a few weeks, maybe months.

My other wisdom tooth came out but when it was proper crowning and poking through I just scrubbed it real hard and jabbed it with a needle to pierce it a few times. Can't say it did any good but I didn't notice it pop through one day Laughing

FWIW you won't likely need that amount of pain relief, I have extremely high tolerance to opiate type stuff and given that I had 7 injections to numb my mouth... quite a tolerance to that also Laughing


Last edited by P.addy on 17:09 - 14 Jan 2015; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

LustyLew
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:09 - 14 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had all four pulled out at hospital under a GA. They were getting infected gums no matter how fastidious I was with brushing.

The first 2 days I had no real pain. Then suddenly it hit.

I was given prescription strength co-codomol, but I coped OK with the pharmacy grade stuff.

If it's causing you "pain and distress" you can ask for a referral to the hospital. They are the buzz words. Smile
____________________
Like a Yorkie - I'm not for the girls Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

notbike
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Apr 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:28 - 14 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, it's been 4 days and it's not as painful as it was the first few days but it's getting annoying. If it doesn't piss off by the end of the week I may have to get a referral then.

It kept me up until 8am last night, so I literally only just woke up, and now I can't fit my heated grips that came in the post today because daylight is about to fuck off and I need a good few hours to fiddle with my fairings -.- bleh, teeth ruin everything!

Lucky timing now that I'm on break from uni for a few weeks, still a bit shit though.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:08 - 14 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to know I'm not the only one in tooth pain this week, filling fell out of a lower canine which has now got infected. The joy of waiting a week to let antibiotics work for it to be filled, hurts like a bitch. Currently on a mixture of ibuprofen, co-codamol and amoxicillin.

I would recommend one method though; mix an even amount of salt and pepper with water. Don't need too much turn it into a paste get a spare toothbrush; then brush the tooth.

Gives relief for a few hours.
____________________
CB125>CG125>GN125>ER5>K100RS>R1100RS>K100RS
A2 completed 23/07/15 Ready for the Golden Crisp Packet
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

swampy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:30 - 14 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any wisdom teeth... Dance!
____________________
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S Thompson
"Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death..." Hunter S Thompson
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

notbike
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Apr 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:33 - 14 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheSmiler wrote:
Nice to know I'm not the only one in tooth pain this week, filling fell out of a lower canine which has now got infected. The joy of waiting a week to let antibiotics work for it to be filled, hurts like a bitch. Currently on a mixture of ibuprofen, co-codamol and amoxicillin.

I would recommend one method though; mix an even amount of salt and pepper with water. Don't need too much turn it into a paste get a spare toothbrush; then brush the tooth.

Gives relief for a few hours.


Ah yeah, I been blasting mine with mouthwash at random intervals, as well as salt water. Also for some pain relief putting some Corsadyl gel on it really seems to work too.

Pain from the tooth pushing through has almost gone now, I think it's almost fully out, but the cheek still hurts ._.

swampy wrote:
I don't have any wisdom teeth... Dance!


Lucky you Sad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

...
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 12 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:34 - 14 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar situation, had 4 wisdom teeth out under a general anaesthetic at the beginning of December. In an out in a morning, recovered in a week or so.

Get them out. If your dentist won't do it, get your GP to refer you to your hospital (I went this route after years of the dentist telling me to wait until they're all through).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mudcow007
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:08 - 15 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

serious question...

how come it takes so long to recovery from a wisdom tooth yanking?

im getting worried about mine now - not hurting but its cracked Sad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

LustyLew
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:30 - 15 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nerve trauma most likely.

My lower wisdom teeth roots were sitting on the nerve that runs through the jaw. Felt like my face has been used as a football!
____________________
Like a Yorkie - I'm not for the girls Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 265 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.99 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 92.3 Kb