Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Another medical moan...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message
MC This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

swampy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:42 - 14 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trouble with this is that the Dr has nothing to gain by saying you're not injured if you are.

You mention this is your second medical, what was the outcome of the first ?

EDIT: What do you think he made up ?
____________________
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S Thompson
"Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death..." Hunter S Thompson
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

andyscooter
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:17 - 14 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let solicitors know quickly

I am awaiting an appointment for second one as first one couldn't deal with broken bones wasn't his specialty

And couldn't check wound as still being dressed at the time

No longer have a wound on leg just a scar and awaiting my own consultant to find whether leg is still broke
____________________
gilera runner vxr200 (chavped)
if its spelt wrong its my fat fingers and daft auto correct on my tablet
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
MC This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

dodsi
Dirty Carny



Joined: 06 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:34 - 14 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you need help with a toilet seat or handrails?

Sorry swampy... I just can't help myself. Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

swampy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:39 - 14 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

MC wrote:
swampy wrote:
The trouble with this is that the Dr has nothing to gain by saying you're not injured if you are.

You mention this is your second medical, what was the outcome of the first ?

EDIT: What do you think he made up ?

First medical the prognosis was that I'd be fully recovered in 3 months. He thoroughly examined me.

In the second medical report (different doctor) he describes in detail examining my knees, back and shoulder. In reality he yanked at my knees to test the ligaments, got me to point at the pain in my back, and then my shoulder.


I've told the solicitors, they told him to review my medical records, so he's added a page or two summarising my treatment so far (which is a little helpful) but didn't change anything else.


So you feel he lied ? Report him to the GMC.

Did the second Dr have access to the first report ?

In fairness I can do a reasonably thorough lower limb range of movement and power assessment in a couple of minutes. It might seem that all I was doing was pulling on your knees, but I would actually also be assessing the power and range in your hips, knees and ankles. I would guess that the report might look a bit like this:

L L/L Full ROM.

Hip: Abd 5/5, Add 5/5, F 5/5, E 5/5. Knee: F 5/5, E 5/5. Ankle: Dors 5/5 Plan 5/5.

R L/L Full ROM.

Hip: Abd 5/5, Add 5/5, F 5/5, E 5/5. Knee: F 5/5, E 5/5. Ankle: Dors 5/5 Plan 5/5.

There maybe something about internal/external rotation at the hip and inversion/eversion at the ankle too.

Did you use the shoulder that was injured to point to where your back hurt ?
____________________
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S Thompson
"Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death..." Hunter S Thompson


Last edited by swampy on 22:46 - 14 Jan 2015; edited 2 times in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

swampy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:40 - 14 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodsi wrote:
Do you need help with a toilet seat or handrails?

Sorry swampy... I just can't help myself. Wink



https://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/6732/6732,1311206331,1/stock-photo-businessman-in-his-forties-angry-and-shaking-his-fist-in-a-threatening-way-isolated-on-white-81409768.jpg


Why you I oughta........
____________________
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S Thompson
"Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death..." Hunter S Thompson
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:01 - 14 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I highly doubt the doctor has made the report up.

As swampy said, what appeared to be a very brief examination can actually be very thorough and the report can be much more comprehensive than a layperson may expect.

I had a 5 minute eye examination recently, the report was 2 and a half sides of A4.
____________________
Current Bike: 1999 Honda CB600 FX Hornet
Next Bike: I want a CBR-RR. And I want an F800 GS-A. And a VFR 800. Can I have all 3?
Dream Bikes: Honda VFR750R RC30, Honda NSR500, Ducati 996 R
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
MC This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

swampy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:10 - 14 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

MC wrote:
I know he lied, he says he performed tests he didn't. I have thought about reporting him, but that doesn't really help me now, and I'm wondering if my case still ends up going to court that'll be a good thing.


What tests did he say he did mate ? I might be able to help, but I need you to be a bit more specific..

The reason I ask which arm you used to point to your back is quite important. Pointing to an area of your back requires a fairly complex shoulder movement (we ask people to mime combing their hair for similar reasons). If you used your 'injured' shoulder to point to an area in the middle of your back, the Dr may well have drawn the conclusion that you have reasonable range of movement in that shoulder.
____________________
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S Thompson
"Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death..." Hunter S Thompson
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 04:14 - 15 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup you need to be a bit more specific and give examples other than just "he lied".


As a doctor he is a highly trained professional...
I'm getting pretty fed up with normal people thinking they know more and can do a better job without any training, knowledge or experience whatsoever.


Yes there are good eggs and bad eggs, but in all my experience of seeing people complaining and challenging trained professionals I very very rarely (maybe a handful of times, in hundreds of cases) see anyone who was right, and usually that is by luck and chance.
____________________
Current Bike: 1999 Honda CB600 FX Hornet
Next Bike: I want a CBR-RR. And I want an F800 GS-A. And a VFR 800. Can I have all 3?
Dream Bikes: Honda VFR750R RC30, Honda NSR500, Ducati 996 R
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:46 - 15 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Llama-Farmer wrote:
As a doctor he is a highly trained professional...

<Daily Mail>Or he has a bit of paper saying so.</Daily Mail>
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
MC This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:19 - 15 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presumably you're also seeing medical experts acting for your solicitors?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

BigShow
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 01 May 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:38 - 15 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was you I'd be happy there's nothing wrong with me. Why do you want to be declared unfit? You looking to get more £'s for crash?

If your that sure the Doc is telling porky pies, why not try and see another? You can pay for a private medical at your local GP's. I did this for work and it only cost £60 quid and they were very thorough.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
MC This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:49 - 15 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

MC wrote:
The medical was arranged by a private firm, acting on behalf of he solicitors, no idea who's paying for it.

There's no indication as to if the appointment was arranged by your solicitors or the solicitors acting for the insurance company? Confused
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

swampy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:43 - 15 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

MC wrote:
Ok, so with the left shoulder he says:
- he had good grip strength and pinch strength
He didn't test this and it's something I'm struggling with

- Neer's and cross chest addiction test was negative
He performed neither test

With my back:
- there was no bony or soft tissue tenderness
Would he not need to touch my back to know this? He didn't and there's lots of tenderness

- lasegue's sign/straight leg raise/femoral stretch test normal
Again he didn't perform these

With my hip (which I've had no issues with):
- trendelenburg test normal
Yet again he didn't perform this, I just told him I've had no issues with it since my accident (it was just bruised after the crash)


OK. Did he ask you to hold his hands or fingers ?

Did he hold your arms, or did he ask you to move your arms. Did he ask you to do anything like pick something up, take of your coat, put your hands on your head ?

When he pulled your knees 'checking the ligaments' were you stood up, laid down or sat down ?

I can say that he probably looked for Trendelenbergs 'sign' which is a gait disorder that easy to spot as you walked in. Given he didn't spot anything he probably felt it was un-necessary to do anything else.

Tredelenberg 'test' refers to venous flow in the legs I think, and wouldn't have been appropriate for you.

Tredelenberg (whoever he was), put his name to loads of things: lurch, gait, sign, test, table, position...


What are you finding difficult to do ? How are your injuries affecting your function ?
____________________
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S Thompson
"Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death..." Hunter S Thompson
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
MC This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

sickpup
Old Timer



Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:08 - 16 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

swampy wrote:
In fairness I can do a reasonably thorough lower limb range of movement and power assessment in a couple of minutes. It might seem that all I was doing was pulling on your knees, but I would actually also be assessing the power and range in your hips, knees and ankles. I would guess that the report might look a bit like this:

L L/L Full ROM.

Hip: Abd 5/5, Add 5/5, F 5/5, E 5/5. Knee: F 5/5, E 5/5. Ankle: Dors 5/5 Plan 5/5.

R L/L Full ROM.

Hip: Abd 5/5, Add 5/5, F 5/5, E 5/5. Knee: F 5/5, E 5/5. Ankle: Dors 5/5 Plan 5/5.

There maybe something about internal/external rotation at the hip and inversion/eversion at the ankle too.


I can't see the pivot shift result, could you point it out please?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

swampy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:14 - 16 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
swampy wrote:
In fairness I can do a reasonably thorough lower limb range of movement and power assessment in a couple of minutes. It might seem that all I was doing was pulling on your knees, but I would actually also be assessing the power and range in your hips, knees and ankles. I would guess that the report might look a bit like this:

L L/L Full ROM.

Hip: Abd 5/5, Add 5/5, F 5/5, E 5/5. Knee: F 5/5, E 5/5. Ankle: Dors 5/5 Plan 5/5.

R L/L Full ROM.

Hip: Abd 5/5, Add 5/5, F 5/5, E 5/5. Knee: F 5/5, E 5/5. Ankle: Dors 5/5 Plan 5/5.

There maybe something about internal/external rotation at the hip and inversion/eversion at the ankle too.


I can't see the pivot shift result, could you point it out please?


This was an example of power at each of the joints, you will notice I also did not put in degrees of range of motion. I was illustrating that the assessment (of power in this case) can be done quite quickly, but the report can be relatively wordy especially given the above results are often written out as a table. It was not my intention to present a full battery of tests...
____________________
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S Thompson
"Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death..." Hunter S Thompson
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 263 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.13 Sec - Server Load: 0.77 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 132.2 Kb