Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


how much notice to give

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

dransy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:09 - 16 Jan 2015    Post subject: how much notice to give Reply with quote

I've been working at my current job for 7.5 years , last year I got promoted to warehouse manager after the oldone got sacked . I've just completed my first year as a manager but I'm done with it .

I never signed a new contract when I took the managers. Job and I'm wanting out as soon as possible Im wanting to put my notice in on Monday but don't know how much to give ?

Cheers
____________________
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ant132
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Nov 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:18 - 16 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you have a contract for the position you were in prior to the promotion - does that state how much notice you need to give?
____________________
1980 Suzuki TS50 ~ 1984 Honda CB400N ~ 1992 Triumph Trident ~ 1998 Suzuki Bandit 1200
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

berzerker
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 27 Sep 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:26 - 16 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they pay you monthly then give them a months notice. Do they owe you any holiday?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

dransy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:36 - 16 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got 4 weeks holiday to take with it been new year , last contract I signed was 2 weeks notice
____________________
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

duhawkz
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:43 - 16 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
last contract I signed was 2 weeks notice


Lucky you, I would have to give 12 weeks notice
____________________
"The guy is a worthless cunt and I honestly believe I would be a slightly happier person if he died." - Chris-Red
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Matt B
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:45 - 16 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried asking your HR department? Unless you made amendments to your contract when you changed jobs then technically you can give 2 weeks.

However, for somebody in a management position I would say that's too short. A month would be more normal but anything is negotiable if you talk to your employer.

Count yourself lucky, my wife's notice period is 6 months!
____________________
stinkwheel: He had an animated .gif of a cat performing fellatio. It's not socially acceptable. It can have real life adverse effects on other people.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

daemonoid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:29 - 16 Jan 2015    Post subject: Re: how much notice to give Reply with quote

dransy wrote:
I've been working at my current job for 7.5 years , last year I got promoted to warehouse manager after the oldone got sacked . I've just completed my first year as a manager but I'm done with it .

I never signed a new contract when I took the managers. Job and I'm wanting out as soon as possible Im wanting to put my notice in on Monday but don't know how much to give ?

Cheers


It's as long as your contract suggests or 1 week. As always, these things work better if you have a chat though - maybe they'll be happier and thus give a good reference - if you work out a reasonable period with them.

Have you considered asking for your old job back if you enjoyed it?
____________________
current: ducati monster 750
past: hyosung gt250r, bajaj pulsar 180, hyosung gt 125 comet
@thomasgarrard | www.straitjkt.com | www.racingseven.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:30 - 16 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you like gardening?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:05 - 16 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

dransy wrote:
I've got 4 weeks holiday to take with it been new year

Very unlikely, it's usually worked out pro-rata.

Go by the last contract that you signed. If there are terms in there which they are obviously in breach of, then technically you're working ex-contractually and can give the statutory week.

However, I wouldn't burn any bridges, or you could find yourself flat-sharing with BodyGuard down the line.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mjn51
Traffic Copper



Joined: 04 Feb 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:14 - 16 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

dransy wrote:
I've got 4 weeks holiday to take with it been new year , last contract I signed was 2 weeks notice

?are you sure? I have 6 weeks annual holiday but after handing in my notice (2 mnths) I'll get 5.5 days holiday pay, when I leave.
M.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Disapproving Brit
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:20 - 16 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

dransy wrote:
I've got 4 weeks holiday to take with it been new year.


Unlikely. If you're saying your holiday resets in January, then 4 weeks holiday is for the entire year. If your notice period has you leaving on the last day of January, you've got 2.4 days based on a 5 day week.

https://www.gov.uk/calculate-your-holiday-entitlement
____________________
Current Bikes: 1983 Honda VF400FD / 2003 Honda VT750 Shadow
Bike Test Passed 18/03/09, Car Test Passed 14/05/13
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

dransy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:01 - 16 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if I booked of 2 weeks and gave 4 weeks notice would it be deducted from wage even though I'm salaried ?
____________________
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:50 - 16 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me just read your contract and oh wait I don't have a copy.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

monkeybiker
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Sep 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:09 - 16 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

They may not let you take the holidays and just pay you when you leave after your notice period.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 263 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.06 Sec - Server Load: 0.49 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 82.38 Kb