|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Robster |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Robster World Chat Champion

Joined: 16 Dec 2013 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 13:23 - 16 Jan 2015 Post subject: Places to stay in London |
 |
|
Hola BCF Hombres
I'm considering applying for a few studios back down in London, as there seems to be tons of work in Soho at the moment.
I'm against the idea, as I don't enjoy the work and fucking hate the place, however i'm rattling round the parents house at the minute and feel like life's whizzing past me.
Meanwhile the sheep in the field next to my parents house look ever more appealing each day - I be needing to get out of here ASAP.
My problem is, if I got a position there, i'd be lucky to get a month, let alone two out of any studio at the moment, so would need to find somewhere to stay that:
- Does rolling (monthly) contract
- Won't be massively expensive (less than £500 per month would be ideal)
- Is commutable by tube to Soho, and is a decent sized room. - I got a squat rack and bench which i'd like to bring with me if possible.
Last year I lived in London at Island Gardens, paid £620 a month for a room and admittedly wasn't careful with my money (went out a lot, bought a 125, ate out lots etc.) and ran out of money quite quickly. Would like to do this on the cheap as much as possible.
I haven't applied anywhere yet, but if a studio wants you they want you to start ASAP - usually within a week.
Any suggestions? I haven't searched gumtree/flatshare sites yet, and am getting in touch with all my mates down that way, but wondered if anyone knew of a decent room that's within the tube line. In a non-rapey area as much as possible... ____________________ Up the bum no babies. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| daemonoid |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 daemonoid World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Jun 2008 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 14:35 - 16 Jan 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
I've not lived in London for a while, but... The south east is reasonably priced and easy to get in - charlton, woolwich or as far as plumstead.
It's not too much of a trip in on the northern line either so as far north as edgware is doable. Last time I was near Hendon & Colindale I saw a bucket load of new flats that look like they'd bring the rental prices down.
I also used to live in Palmers Green, which has the benefit of no tube - if you're willing to bike in or use the overground when you go out then it's disproportionately cheap for its proximity to central...
All of this could be out of date though... ____________________ current: ducati monster 750
past: hyosung gt250r, bajaj pulsar 180, hyosung gt 125 comet
@thomasgarrard | www.straitjkt.com | www.racingseven.com |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MC |
This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
|
 MC Banned
Joined: 01 Apr 2013 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 16:59 - 17 Jan 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
£500 p/m will get you a room in the ghetto. You're looking at £700+ anywhere you're not going to get raped/tortured/murdered then raped again. ____________________ Yamaha MT-03 '08 (crashed)
Honda XR-125L '04 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Robby |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Robby Dirty Old Man

Joined: 16 May 2002 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ferrisio |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ferrisio Scooby Slapper

Joined: 03 Jul 2014 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Polarbear |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Polarbear Super Spammer

Joined: 24 Feb 2007 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 17:58 - 18 Jan 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
Obviously London and cheap do not co exist.
I have a boat in Uxbridge, costs me nothing where it is.
£8 ponds a day in fares to get into the centre of London and back out again.
I wouldn't rent in London unless money wasn't an issue. I know someone who has a bedsit in a shit hole, sharing bathroom, kitchen for more per month than the mortgage was on my 3 bedroomed bungalow was in Milton Keynes.
I even like Uxbridge despite it being full of every nationality except English  ____________________ Victory Cross Country American tractor. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Polarbear |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Polarbear Super Spammer

Joined: 24 Feb 2007 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Robster |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Robster World Chat Champion

Joined: 16 Dec 2013 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Polarbear |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Polarbear Super Spammer

Joined: 24 Feb 2007 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Robster |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Robster World Chat Champion

Joined: 16 Dec 2013 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Polarbear |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Polarbear Super Spammer

Joined: 24 Feb 2007 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Orennayar |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Orennayar Scooby Slapper

Joined: 08 Apr 2014 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 01:04 - 19 Jan 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
Some of my coworkers live in uxbridge and they find it okay.
So far I lived in west acton, south wimbledon and snaresbrook.
I found the 3 places were okay to live in.
In zones 3/4 you should be able to get a decent room in a flatshare or around 600-700 a month while being just under an hour commute.
Most of the flatshare will let you leave with only a month notice.
Which studio are you applying to?  ____________________ DAS passed: 21/07/14
2011 YBR125(sold)
2009 XJ6N |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| LustyLew |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 LustyLew World Chat Champion

Joined: 19 Apr 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 13:21 - 19 Jan 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
Bare in mind thanks to Network Rails complete fuck up on London Bridge, trains to/from/through that station are royally fucked for the next 3 YEARS.
I live in Bromley, Zone 4 and it's 3 trains! None of which have been on time since last Monday when the work started.
Take a bike, push or motor. Don't ever rely on public transport. ____________________ Like a Yorkie - I'm not for the girls  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| daemonoid |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 daemonoid World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Jun 2008 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 13:40 - 19 Jan 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
| Polarbear wrote: | Obviously London and cheap do not co exist.
I have a boat in Uxbridge, costs me nothing where it is.
£8 ponds a day in fares to get into the centre of London and back out again.
I wouldn't rent in London unless money wasn't an issue. I know someone who has a bedsit in a shit hole, sharing bathroom, kitchen for more per month than the mortgage was on my 3 bedroomed bungalow was in Milton Keynes.
I even like Uxbridge despite it being full of every nationality except English  |
Behind the pub just over the bridge? Can't remember the name of it though...
| Polarbear wrote: | ^^^That last statement was for our resident immigrant cheerleader!^^^ |
Glad you think of me this often... Worth pointing out that in days gone by you'd've been an immigrant because you'd've changed your lord by moving from The MK area to the Uxbridge area. Kinda makes you think on how silly nationalist ideas will seem to future generations who are only concerned with the blight of refugees from other human planetary colonies... ____________________ current: ducati monster 750
past: hyosung gt250r, bajaj pulsar 180, hyosung gt 125 comet
@thomasgarrard | www.straitjkt.com | www.racingseven.com |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Polarbear |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Polarbear Super Spammer

Joined: 24 Feb 2007 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 13:56 - 19 Jan 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
| daemonoid wrote: | | Polarbear wrote: | Obviously London and cheap do not co exist.
I have a boat in Uxbridge, costs me nothing where it is.
£8 ponds a day in fares to get into the centre of London and back out again.
I wouldn't rent in London unless money wasn't an issue. I know someone who has a bedsit in a shit hole, sharing bathroom, kitchen for more per month than the mortgage was on my 3 bedroomed bungalow was in Milton Keynes.
I even like Uxbridge despite it being full of every nationality except English  |
Behind the pub just over the bridge? Can't remember the name of it though...
| Polarbear wrote: | ^^^That last statement was for our resident immigrant cheerleader!^^^ |
Glad you think of me this often... Worth pointing out that in days gone by you'd've been an immigrant because you'd've changed your lord by moving from The MK area to the Uxbridge area. Kinda makes you think on how silly nationalist ideas will seem to future generations who are only concerned with the blight of refugees from other human planetary colonies... |
By the general Eliott. Nice pub. The other one is the Swan & Bottle but thats just a chain eaterie. ____________________ Victory Cross Country American tractor. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Robster |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Robster World Chat Champion

Joined: 16 Dec 2013 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 15:40 - 19 Jan 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
| Orennayar wrote: | Some of my coworkers live in uxbridge and they find it okay.
So far I lived in west acton, south wimbledon and snaresbrook.
I found the 3 places were okay to live in.
In zones 3/4 you should be able to get a decent room in a flatshare or around 600-700 a month while being just under an hour commute.
Most of the flatshare will let you leave with only a month notice.
Which studio are you applying to?  |
Cinesite and Framestore. Will be looking for match move positions. I heard they're looking at MPC too but I heard mixed things from people working there.
Worked for Framestore out of their tiny Bournemouth outpost for a nice meaty six month contract. Pay was shit but job was nice and Bournemouth <3
Cinesite pay MUCH better but work was tougher during my time there, lovely studio to work in though ____________________ Up the bum no babies. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Orennayar |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Orennayar Scooby Slapper

Joined: 08 Apr 2014 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 17:59 - 19 Jan 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
| Robster wrote: | | Orennayar wrote: | Some of my coworkers live in uxbridge and they find it okay.
So far I lived in west acton, south wimbledon and snaresbrook.
I found the 3 places were okay to live in.
In zones 3/4 you should be able to get a decent room in a flatshare or around 600-700 a month while being just under an hour commute.
Most of the flatshare will let you leave with only a month notice.
Which studio are you applying to?  |
Cinesite and Framestore. Will be looking for match move positions. I heard they're looking at MPC too but I heard mixed things from people working there.
Worked for Framestore out of their tiny Bournemouth outpost for a nice meaty six month contract. Pay was shit but job was nice and Bournemouth <3
Cinesite pay MUCH better but work was tougher during my time there, lovely studio to work in though |
Cool.
I'm back at mpc since november, I know they had a huge shitstorm of negative comments a few months ago but imho it's not so bad.
From what I've heard though most of the tracking is done in bangalore :/ ____________________ DAS passed: 21/07/14
2011 YBR125(sold)
2009 XJ6N |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Robster |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Robster World Chat Champion

Joined: 16 Dec 2013 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 22:17 - 19 Jan 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
They apparently tried outsourcing to India at FS and Cinesite, but they couldn't get to the same quality of work we did in Bournemouth  ____________________ Up the bum no babies. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| daemonoid |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 daemonoid World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Jun 2008 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Orennayar |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Orennayar Scooby Slapper

Joined: 08 Apr 2014 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| angryjonny |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 angryjonny World Chat Champion

Joined: 01 Sep 2006 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| daemonoid |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 daemonoid World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Jun 2008 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 11 years, 259 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|