Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Suggested temp jobs for someone with a damaged back?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

firg
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 18 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:19 - 18 Jan 2015    Post subject: Suggested temp jobs for someone with a damaged back? Reply with quote

I've hit a bit of a bump in getting my career plans going. It's all in progress but it'll be a few months before I'm getting a regular paycheck. In the mean time, I need to earn some cash.

Back before I was injured I used to go down to the temp agency and take whatever was offered, or any kind of retail etc job that was around. I also did a fair amount of Admin temp work.

Now I'm not physically able to do bending or lifting I'm looking for ideas to keep me afloat. I've been selling spare things on eBay pretty successfully, but that's only going so far...

Unfortunately I've not been getting the Admin temp roles that I've been applying to - having not done it in a couple of years I suspect the CV of a more recent full time Administrator looks a safer bet to a potential employer.

I'm competent with computers, I have a good phone manner and can speak in a professional accent, and I can write and spell to a high standard.

Does anyone have any suggestions for other things I could do to earn money in the short term?
____________________
Ex-'96 Bandit 600S -> '99 Bandit 600 -> K7 V-Strom 650
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Jewlio Iglesias This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

metalangel
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Feb 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:27 - 18 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Data entry or reception stuff? I'm trying not to say call centre.
____________________
Previous: 2002 Honda CB500 (sold), 2007 Suzuki SV650SK6 (crashed), 2005 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer (sold). Currently bikeless Sad
"A faired bike will get you 10x more clunge than a unfaired one." -Marlboro Matt
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Tritey This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

firg
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 18 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:20 - 20 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bus driver probably wouldn't take me on such short term. Plus cost of getting licence. Did think about getting HGV licence tho, can turn a profit off the £2k licence cost pretty quickly on agency driving.

Call centre: Have done cold calling before. That sucked. Woking at an incoming calls centre could be nice - again if I can get somewhere to take me on for just a couple of months.

Sex phone line: Well now that is an idea and a half...
____________________
Ex-'96 Bandit 600S -> '99 Bandit 600 -> K7 V-Strom 650
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:23 - 20 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

firg wrote:
again if I can get somewhere to take me on for just a couple of months.


Dont tell them about being there for only a couple of months.

Tell them "I want to be the best goddamn phone monkey evar"

Leave a few months later Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mentalboy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:26 - 20 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

firg wrote:
Bus driver probably wouldn't take me on such short term. Plus cost of getting licence. Did think about getting HGV licence tho, can turn a profit off the £2k licence cost pretty quickly on agency driving.


Is your back ok to pass the medical for LGV/PCV license?
Have you spoken to the DEA at your local job centre? Can I ask why you are only looking for short-term work? (Why look only for short-term work, you don't have to tell an employer that you aren't planning on sticking around for very long)
____________________
Make mine a Corona.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Copycat73
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jan 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:56 - 20 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

this lot seem to be keenly lookin ... thought agency didn't bother wit psv/pcv .. would seem the market has changed..

https://justbusdrivers.wts.co.uk/index.html
____________________
Whatever I post I have no citation and no intention of providing one..
caveat emptor
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:42 - 20 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mate of mine made fairly decent money selling things from the pound shop on ebay Laughing
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

andyscooter
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:07 - 20 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

firg wrote:
Bus driver probably wouldn't take me on such short term. Plus cost of getting licence. Did think about getting HGV licence tho, can turn a profit off the £2k licence cost pretty quickly on agency driving.
...



Most lorry drivers have to move pallets with a truck

Not all drops have forklifts and may need to get load to different bits of the lorry to be unloaded
____________________
gilera runner vxr200 (chavped)
if its spelt wrong its my fat fingers and daft auto correct on my tablet
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

firg
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 18 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:29 - 20 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a major loss of control over my legs, just a lack of stability and resilience in my back, so I hope it does not rule out HGV licence. I'll check before I go any further with that idea - it would rule out HGV if I have to do pallet shifting.

Thanks for the JustBus link, I should have realised there was agency bus/coach work just like agency HGV work. Good potential in this one Thumbs Up

I am applying to get on a new PhD course after the funding for the one I was expecting to start last Sept didn't work out. The ones I have applied for have start dates in mid February 2015, March 2015, and September 2015. Potential interviews could crop up at any time over the next couple of months on short notice.

I could lie my way into a longer contract and then just walk out, I'm not comfortable with entering into an employment contract with deceit in mind. Something to revisit if things become more desperate.

Not to undermine your friends business, but are there products in particular that seems to sell well for more than the pound shop on eBay?
____________________
Ex-'96 Bandit 600S -> '99 Bandit 600 -> K7 V-Strom 650


Last edited by firg on 22:49 - 20 Jan 2015; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Jewlio Iglesias This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

firg
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 18 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:40 - 20 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Iglesias wrote:

Laughing
Laughing Laughing
Laughing Laughing Laughing UWOTM8? Laughing
Laughing Laughing
Laughing


Then I've been misinformed. Oh well!
____________________
Ex-'96 Bandit 600S -> '99 Bandit 600 -> K7 V-Strom 650
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
Jewlio Iglesias This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Fisty
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:29 - 20 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

BodyGuard wrote:
Currently doing a niche close protection job.


Wow get you!

BodyGuard wrote:
I rarely see the ugly bitch and I get paid £600+ a week it.


You're so close you never see her.....
____________________
Quietly and consistently taking the piss.
TL1000R | Hayabusa | ZXR400 | TL1000S | Bandit 400 V
Fatter and faster than Fret
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

pdg
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:31 - 20 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

BodyGuard wrote:

Currently doing a niche close protection job I rarely see the ugly bitch and I get paid £600+ a week it.


https://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/can-you-die-from-constipation.jpg
____________________
Any and all advice given should not be followed - if you have to ask it means you don't know so get a man in to do it for you.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

firg
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 18 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:32 - 20 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goddamnit bodyguard
____________________
Ex-'96 Bandit 600S -> '99 Bandit 600 -> K7 V-Strom 650
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

pdg
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:47 - 20 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

BodyGuard wrote:

Currently doing a niche close protection job I rarely see the ugly bitch and I get paid £600+ a week it.


Oh, because I'm in a nice mood I found something to make your commute a bit nicer for you (on the offchance you don't have one already)

https://www.etravelswithetrules.com/china/chapter4/Tongli.Sex.Saddle.jpg

Oh, and your mum wanted me to ask you

https://www.quickmeme.com/img/9e/9e5580788c83980a903d1fb239f1daf1f7ac66480414e6a5df6e846cf5323f2c.jpg
____________________
Any and all advice given should not be followed - if you have to ask it means you don't know so get a man in to do it for you.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

wr6133
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:11 - 20 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

BodyGuard wrote:

To be truthful I have had one incident in three months which is the only time I had to take down a threat which was just an opportunistic Romanian.


You couldn't take down a ladder you silly little muppet.

Now fuck off and apologise to all the trees that are wasting their time aiding in supplying you with air to breath.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:40 - 21 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

BodyGuard wrote:
.

Currently doing a niche close protection job I rarely see the ugly bitch and I get paid £600+ a week it.



Please invite Warped back in. His BS was at least creative and entertaining.
____________________
Bikers make great organ donors, get 115 on your licence today.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:09 - 21 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't it this guy who looked like an 8 stone crackhead?
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ws4936
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Sep 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:24 - 21 Jan 2015    Post subject: Re: Suggested temp jobs for someone with a damaged back? Reply with quote

firg wrote:
I'm competent with computers, I have a good phone manner and can speak in a professional accent, and I can write and spell to a high standard.

Does anyone have any suggestions for other things I could do to earn money in the short term?



Nev says:

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/07/05/article-2357109-1AA3F347000005DC-579_634x433.jpg
____________________
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter



Joined: 01 Aug 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:52 - 21 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

firg wrote:
Did think about getting HGV licence tho, can turn a profit off the £2k licence cost pretty quickly on agency driving.



Back problems won't cause you to fail an HGV medical, that is concerned mainly with eyesight and diabetes along with any history of the usual, fits, epilepsy etc

Back problems with cause you to struggle to get work as a newly qualified HGV driver, January is the worst time of year for agency work as the holiday covers and xmas work is over. As a new HGV driver on agency you will likely only be taken on the worst jobs, those that experienced or picky drivers will not take such as store delivery work, class 2 multidrop and bakeries or just companies that have rickety old dogs of trucks and the work itself could be all sorts. To throw an inability to bend or lift into the mix is going to make you very difficult to place as the only jobs where that is likely to happen is trunking or RDC work which is usually given to the experienced ones who have 2yrs min on class 1. Steel involves no lifting or manual handling but you will still need to get onto the trailer to strap or chain loads down, and even trunking work you need to be able to open and close the trailer curtains which can be hard work itself.

Yes, you can get your licence for 2k if you pass class 2 and class 1 first time round (unlikely), added cost of the Initial Driver CPC these days, previously you could get it for 1800. With your limitations it could be hard getting the work to cover this.

Good thing for you is your location, you have Coventry, Rugby, Daventry, Birmingham and Redditch all within reach which opens up a lot of work, it may be worth a shot but just be clear that it's difficult to get work when inexperienced, class 2 work generally sucks (pay and manual handling) so get your class 1 and being really picky about what work you can do will likely result in few calls from the agency.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 257 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.5 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 138.17 Kb