Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Moving to Reading

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

woodall57
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 25 Jun 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:48 - 11 Feb 2015    Post subject: Moving to Reading Reply with quote

Well I am moving to Reading for a year for a placement year so was wondering if anyone on here has any tips on where to avoid etc. My job will be at Green Park so somewhere near there I guess. I don't really know what to look for.

Thumbs Up
____________________
cbt:4/7/12 theory:16/7/12 module 1:12/8/12 module 2: ?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:12 - 11 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
any tips on where to avoid etc. My job will be at Green Park so somewhere near there I guess.

Laughing Laughing

You've answered your own question. Razz

Some generalisations about that area... nearer J11 is dodgy and closer to the town is less dodgy.

But that is just speaking generally, there's plenty of places to live around there that are fine, quite a lot of it will depend on what your neighbours are like. I'd pass on the opportunity of living in Whitley Wood as I expect you'll find some bargain priced places to live there.

You'll have your bike with you?

Kinda unsurprisingly, I know a guy who rents rooms in his house at the Shinfield Road end of Blagdon Road. Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

weasley
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:12 - 11 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

J11 traffic can be pretty bad at rush hours. If you want access to stuff then in towards Reading is the option. Lower Earley is nearby and not all bad, Woodley a bit further out and more suburban. You could live South of the M4 in a small town or village; Wokingham, Spencer's Wood, Shinfield, Swallowfield etc. You'd need to travel for entertainment though.

I agree about Whitley and areas around there. I think there's a bus route out to Green Park so central Reading might work. The area around the Royal Berks hospital can be OK. I lived around there for a few months. I also lived in Tilehurst for several years; this was nice but it's a bit further out for you. One benefit is that if you have a bike, 5 minutes and you are clear of the Reading sprawl and into proper countryside (albeit with senseless 50 mph limits).
____________________
Yamaha XJ600 | Yamaha YZF600R Thundercat | KTM 990 SMT | BMW F900XR TE
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

angryjonny
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:32 - 11 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived in Woodley when I was there. Nice, but suburban. Lower Earley is similar. We were advised by estate agents to avoid Whitley Wood and anywhere between 9 and 10 o'clock on the dial.

If you're young and single, stick yourself somewhere near the centre of town and commute rather than finding some joyless econobox off the relief road.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Nash GT
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Sep 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:44 - 11 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little villages just outside reading are better IMO
____________________
Suzuki GSF600N
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:52 - 11 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're also a lot more expensive. Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

woodall57
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 25 Jun 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:51 - 12 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't have a bike as I will be car sharing or getting public transport in. It's at a place that makes networking hardware... begins with a C Wink

What's Reading like compared to Sheffield? is it a similar sort of layout with there been a small town centre and everything spread out into big areas? I have been looking at Kennet Island which seems like a good area.
____________________
cbt:4/7/12 theory:16/7/12 module 1:12/8/12 module 2: ?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:13 - 12 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might well be quicker to walk to Green Park from Kennet Island rather than going by public transport or car sharing. Razz

Can't really comment on Reading town centre compared to Sheffield. What I can say is that no matter where you go in Reading, there will always be a Tesco's near by. Rolling Eyes Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

weasley
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:07 - 13 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is pretty much only the town centre. Of course it sprawls out and there are local 'centres' but not worth going to unless you live there. The centre has a decent selection of shops, bars, restaurants etc, The Oracle shopping centre, Broad Street etc. Kennet Island is good for that end of town, now that the sewage plant has gone. The 'civic recycling centre' is handy too! And the Madejski Stadium, if you like Championship football or London Irish rugby. Bicycle maybe? Good routes in and out of that area.
____________________
Yamaha XJ600 | Yamaha YZF600R Thundercat | KTM 990 SMT | BMW F900XR TE
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

woodall57
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 25 Jun 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:34 - 13 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ok. I will probably cycle then if it's close to the offices. Do quite a lot of people end up going to London for entertainment and shopping and stuff with it been so close?
____________________
cbt:4/7/12 theory:16/7/12 module 1:12/8/12 module 2: ?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

angryjonny
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:40 - 13 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodall57 wrote:
What's Reading like compared to Sheffield? is it a similar sort of layout with there been a small town centre and everything spread out into big areas? I have been looking at Kennet Island which seems like a good area.


I moved to Reading from Sheffield after uni. It's warmer and less hilly. The town centre is more focused and obvious than Sheffield's which I found sprawled and never really got properly started. Sheffield has an Octagon. Reading has a Hexagon. There is no equivalent of Meadowhall in the whole Thames Valley area. But essentially, yes, it's a decent town centre with an awkward one-way system and woefully insufficient parking surrounded by slices of commercial and light industrial areas and various suburbs in different styles, from different eras, the newest bits being estates on the outskirts or flats on old brownfield sites nearer the centre.

woodall57 wrote:
Ah ok. I will probably cycle then if it's close to the offices. Do quite a lot of people end up going to London for entertainment and shopping and stuff with it been so close?

I live in Bracknell these days and I've been to London about twice in the part 12 months. I find the big-smoke a real ballache but that's probably because I lived there for a decade or so and sickened myself of it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

weasley
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:59 - 13 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

London is 30 minutes by train. I never went there on a night out. I did, however, sometimes go to Oxford (30 minutes the other way). But mostly there's plenty in Reading to do. There's a big university so you can find studenty stuff, or there are plenty of hipsters so there is also Jamie's Italian and the like. As above, the traffic system is messed up and you really don't want to drive into town any time after the start of Novermber, unless you like to queue for 20 minutes to get in a car park. There's no decent park and ride but there is a good bus system.

I always described Reading as functional. It has everything you need, but there's nothing really there to visit.
____________________
Yamaha XJ600 | Yamaha YZF600R Thundercat | KTM 990 SMT | BMW F900XR TE
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:13 - 13 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived in a basement flat in the Cemetery Road Junction near the A4 when I lived in Reading. Only stayed there a year, found it hard living...I'm really not suited for city living, but it was a means to an end. Working for peanuts...the accommodation made it closer to commute by bike.

Later on though, whilst not living in Reading, found the nightlife in Reading a draw. Went to the Purple Turtle a fair bit, and the Matrix and other hard dance club nights held there. Thumbs Up

Was a good place to be based for the Reading Festival, that's for sure...
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:21 - 13 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Turtle has changed a lot. Crying or Very sad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nash GT
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Sep 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:46 - 13 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
The Turtle has changed a lot. Crying or Very sad


Same as the matrix which went through as stage of stabbings and shootings every weekend, can't remember if it got eventually closed down.

Many laughs where had at Walkabout in my day, don't know if still good.
____________________
Suzuki GSF600N
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:39 - 13 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Matrix got closed quite a few years ago, 2002 maybe, and was before my time by a few months.

The Turtle has changed from being a scummy place that was cool to being another trendy place that isn't much like how it used to be. Probably can't get away with smoking spliffs in the beer garden anymore. Crying or Very sad

I guess that Walkabout is still full of students.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:34 - 15 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
The Turtle has changed a lot. Crying or Very sad


The Turtle has gone. That new hipster place will never be the Purple Turtle.

*wonders what happened to Whitley Paul*
____________________
I'm immortal. Well, so far.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Jewlio Iglesias This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:38 - 15 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, the floor is no longer covered in turtle scum so you can now walk around without your feet sticking to the floor. Sad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

weasley
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:44 - 15 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the After Dark club still there?

I remember what was before the Matrix.... O'Neil's late night, upstairs, music club bar thing. Oh, and I also recall Washington Heights (before it was RG1/Utopia)!
____________________
Yamaha XJ600 | Yamaha YZF600R Thundercat | KTM 990 SMT | BMW F900XR TE
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

diesel dog
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 20 Jun 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:30 - 15 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived in Shinfield for a while. 10 minute trip into town on a good day and another 10 minutes the other way was nice countryside. Nice enough area then but when I visited friends that still live there last week, it made me realise I'd done the right thing and moved away.

The traffic is a nightmare literally everywhere and I went during the day. Had the joy of driving on the old Basingstoke rd by Morrisons, up to the Shinfield rd and down past the black boy. Thank fuck I won't be doing that trip for a while .....
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:06 - 15 Feb 2015    Post subject: Re: Moving to Reading Reply with quote

A few times I've worked for a week at a time at said company beginning with a 'C'. I was coming from West-Reading.
Wouldn't want to do it by car, but ok on two wheels.

Not too bad to get to from said person Ste knows who'll rent you a room either and nicely is downhill on the way in, if you're cycling Smile.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

woodall57
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 25 Jun 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:51 - 16 Feb 2015    Post subject: Re: Moving to Reading Reply with quote

G wrote:
A few times I've worked for a week at a time at said company beginning with a 'C'. I was coming from West-Reading.
Wouldn't want to do it by car, but ok on two wheels.

Not too bad to get to from said person Ste knows who'll rent you a room either and nicely is downhill on the way in, if you're cycling Smile.


That's cool what doing? I'm sharing with 3 others so will be looking at a 4 bed somewhere
____________________
cbt:4/7/12 theory:16/7/12 module 1:12/8/12 module 2: ?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:54 - 16 Feb 2015    Post subject: Re: Moving to Reading Reply with quote

IVT - Interoperability Verification Testing - to ensure our product didn't break their stuff and accurately reported on it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

woodall57
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 25 Jun 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:00 - 18 Feb 2015    Post subject: Re: Moving to Reading Reply with quote

G wrote:
IVT - Interoperability Verification Testing - to ensure our product didn't break their stuff


Ah I can see that happening a lot Wink Laughing What was your product? A networking device?
____________________
cbt:4/7/12 theory:16/7/12 module 1:12/8/12 module 2: ?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 230 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 1.03 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 132.63 Kb