Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Anyone into port (after recommendations)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:20 - 13 Feb 2015    Post subject: Anyone into port (after recommendations) Reply with quote

Long shot but I've found myself getting into port more, not much for wine don't like the taste. I've had some "good ones" from knowledgeable people however still no.

Favorite at the moment is QC Ruby; although I've also been through Portman Special Reserve and Cockburns Special Reserve. None of these have been tat interesting or that nice.

So anyone out there a port lover or able to recommend any nice bottles not too expensive about £25 max.
____________________
CB125>CG125>GN125>ER5>K100RS>R1100RS>K100RS
A2 completed 23/07/15 Ready for the Golden Crisp Packet
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:53 - 13 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like port, but it doesn't like me - makes my left shoulder hurt like fuck.
____________________
Chances are quite high you are not in my Monkeysphere, and I don't care about you. Don't take it personally.
Currently : Royal Enfield 350 Meteor
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

janner_10
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Sep 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:57 - 13 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got given a bottle of Taylor's Quinta de Vargellas for my last birthday, absolutely lovely. I sometimes treat myself to a bottle every so often, priced around the £10 mark but this stuff beats it hands down.

I think its around £30 a bottle but well worth a look.
____________________
Yamaha FZS600 (Now gone to heaven) > CBR600F4i (SOLD) > '99 YZF-R1
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

........................
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 15 Jan 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:07 - 13 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love a drop of port but generally only have it around Christmas and being a cheap git I usually guzzle Sainsbury's old brand ruby tawny port for £7 a bottle.

I might actually splash out on a bottle so will watch this thread with interest.

Edit: After reading barrkel's post I realise I meant to write tawny port, not ruby port.


Last edited by ........................ on 22:47 - 13 Feb 2015; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

wr6133
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:16 - 13 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know if you drink a lot of it very quickly the next day you have purple shit

HTH Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

captain_ramshackle
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 26 Oct 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:24 - 13 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fonseca Bin 27 is very nice if you're OK with something very fruity.

Or you could go for Graham’s Quinta dos Malvedos which is pretty premium.

You're not going to go wrong with Fonseca Terra Prima Reserve either
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

barrkel
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Jul 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:37 - 13 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried a tawny port?

Completely different drink to bottle-aged ports, they're aged in the barrel so the tannins are oxidised early in their lifetime. This means they don't have the dryness of a wine, and they're a light brown / orange colour.

Quite a distinct difference between a 10 year, 20 year, 30 year and 40 year. The older they get, the mellower, with less of a medicinal edge, and more complexity. The main port houses blend their tawny ports from lots of different years, so the age here is just an indication - they go for a consistency of style per year, but the styles between houses is different.

If you like them, you can look into colheita ports. These are tawny ports made from a single specific vintage, not blended. My gf and I had an excellent 1940 colheita over the new year - but that bottle would blow your budget 10x.

If you like fortified barrel-oxidised wines like tawnies, look into sherry and madeira. An oloroso sherry has the yeast killed off early so it doesn't have the yeasty taste of other sherries. Rainwater madeiras are quite nice too. My gf and I went to a fortified wine tasting at Berry Bros & Rudd just before Christmas. There's a lot there to explore.

IMO tawny port is something where money pays dividends in ways that it doesn't quite with wines. Younger ports tend to have a fairly harsh, medicinal edge to my palate. I can't get on with the stuff you find in supermarkets.

On the other hand, it's good to work your way up to the good stuff. If you go straight to the good stuff, you'll never be able to enjoy the cheaper bottles. Myself, I'm still rueing the day I balked at spending £600+ on a case of 6 (IIRC) bottles of one particular tawny. I had a glass of it at a restaurant on my birthday about 5 years ago, it was incredible and I've never tasted its like since. And now I've lost the details of the name, so I can't find it again.
____________________
Bikes: S1000R, SH350; Exes: Vity 125, PS125, YBR125, ER6f, VFR800, Brutale 920, CB600F, SH300x4
Best road ever ridden: www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2MhNxUEYtQ
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter



Joined: 01 Aug 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:56 - 14 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too do not like red wine, vile stuff, however I do like Port but don't drink it very often at all. Port aside you may want to try a Greek red wine called Mavrodaphne, can get it in all the supermarkets now. It's a sweet red wine and if you like port you should like that, it's the only one I can drink, tastes nothing like every other red wine which all tastes the same to me, damn sight cheaper at £4 a bottle too.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

andyscooter
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:42 - 14 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

another fan of tawny ports here

at xmas aldi have some cracking deals on them

so i normally stock up but didnt last year as money is tight

cant think of the names off hand but a 30 quid bottle from aldi was about 60 quid elsewear
____________________
gilera runner vxr200 (chavped)
if its spelt wrong its my fat fingers and daft auto correct on my tablet
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:51 - 14 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know jack shit about port, but I know the port and Stilton cheese together is like nectar from the gods. Wub
____________________
Victory Cross Country American tractor.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fisty
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:42 - 14 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
I like port, but it doesn't like me - makes my left shoulder hurt like fuck.


You are mistaking drinking for masturbation. HTH.
____________________
Quietly and consistently taking the piss.
TL1000R | Hayabusa | ZXR400 | TL1000S | Bandit 400 V
Fatter and faster than Fret
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:02 - 14 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard port is bad for gout. Sounds like Shaggy has gout.

Personally I don't drink. I spend all my money on bikes pretty much.
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Jewlio Iglesias This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

swampy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:15 - 14 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
I like port, but it doesn't like me - makes my left shoulder hurt like fuck.


If it were called starboard do you think it would make your right shoulder hurt ?
____________________
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S Thompson
"Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death..." Hunter S Thompson
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

swampy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:18 - 14 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I heard port is bad for gout. Sounds like Shaggy has gout.

Personally I don't drink. I spend all my money on bikes pretty much.


Bit of a myth that. There's actually less risk with wine as opposed to beer or spirits.
____________________
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S Thompson
"Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death..." Hunter S Thompson
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:21 - 14 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cockburn's 2008 LBV is in ASDA for £8.97 ATM.
____________________
Bikers make great organ donors, get 115 on your licence today.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer



Joined: 17 Jan 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:05 - 14 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I know jack shit about port, but I know the port and Stilton cheese together is like nectar from the gods. Wub


This ^ +10,000 Thumbs Up
Pepperami is now off to the drinks cabinet to get himself a glass Smile Thumbs Up
____________________
I am the sum total of my own existence, what went before makes me who I am now!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

daffy
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 12 Jul 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:05 - 14 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
I know if you drink a lot of it very quickly the next day you have purple shit

HTH Thumbs Up


same as beetroot then Laughing
____________________
2000 zx6r

a b be b1 c ce c1 c1e f k p 10m swimming
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MCW
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:42 - 15 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like port, then you will like Madeira too. There are 4 basic types, from sweetest to driest: Malvasia (also known as Malmsy to the Brits), Bual, Verdelho and Sercial.

I love tawny port and white port too. Smile

People can give you lots of recommendations, but it comes down to personal taste. You can spend a fortune on rare vintage reserves, but if you prefer a cheaper one, then so much the better.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
unitynotsocri... This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 231 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.5 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 109.78 Kb