Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Employment contract questions.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

AngelGrinder
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:04 - 15 Feb 2015    Post subject: Employment contract questions. Reply with quote

Hey all, all advice welcome.

Long story short, been at my company over 4 years, a year and a half ago, company went into administration, and gained a new owner. Many things have changed and I no longer have any long term plans to stay. Where I work is a fairly niche industry, I could make a basic wage elsewhere, but with my skills I can earn a lot more.

Recently a guy left and on his last day, was asked to sign a form saying he wouldn't work for any competitors, as he was leaving he refused to sign it.
my problem, is we are all getting new contracts tomorrow, and things like this in them, would utterly destroy any chance of me leaving and making a decent wage. What are my options? Does the contract come into effect as soon as I am given it? Or not until I sign it? How long can I refuse to sign it (saying I'm reading it and checking etc) and what will be the outcome if I refuse to sign? Instant dismissal? Redundancy?

All advice and experiences would be great!
____________________
Currently Riding - 2002 Aprilia RSV1000 Mille
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lihp
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:13 - 15 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

non-competition contracts are usually non-enforceable Thumbs Up
____________________
covent.gardens: lihp is my most favourite member ever
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer



Joined: 01 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:15 - 15 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that hey were doing away with these not bringing them in. Freedom in the EU and all that.
____________________
Famous last words of Humpty Dumpty. " Stop pushing me "
Petty Anarchists look at "1984".............. The Visionary looks at "Animal Farm".
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

AngelGrinder
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:22 - 15 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately my boss loves lawyers and court battles, and constantly reminds me that I should be eternally grateful to him for paying my wage. If I left and went to a competitor, and there was any possibility he could cause problems, I'm sure he would. Hes brought 2 consultants in to help with contracts and company restructuring etc.

A few people have said they are usually ok to to ignore the non competition contracts, but as said, he likes a court battle, and I'm not someone who can afford lawyers etc. He recently won a court battle against a major film/tv company in the US so I'm sure his ego is inflated currently.
____________________
Currently Riding - 2002 Aprilia RSV1000 Mille
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lihp
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:30 - 15 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.olswang.com/employment/pel_sep07/Will_your_restrictive_covenants_stand_up_in_court.pdf

Quote:
employers should bear in mind that it can be tricky to introduce new restrictive covenants
effectively after a TUPE transfer.

____________________
covent.gardens: lihp is my most favourite member ever
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Jewlio Iglesias This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:41 - 16 Feb 2015    Post subject: Re: Employment contract questions. Reply with quote

The answers to your questions are entirely dependent on your employer, the nature of the business and your specific job.

If you want meaningful answers, you'll need to disclose all that information, and I suggest that you do it to an employment law specialist.

Or better yet, jump before it becomes an issue.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:09 - 16 Feb 2015    Post subject: Re: Employment contract questions. Reply with quote

AngelGrinder wrote:


Recently a guy left and on his last day, was asked to sign a form saying he wouldn't work for any competitors, as he was leaving he refused to sign it.
my problem, is we are all getting new contracts tomorrow, and things like this in them, would utterly destroy any chance of me leaving and making a decent wage. What are my options? Does the contract come into effect as soon as I am given it? Or not until I sign it? How long can I refuse to sign it (saying I'm reading it and checking etc) and what will be the outcome if I refuse to sign? Instant dismissal? Redundancy?

All advice and experiences would be great!


The company will try the old trick. If you don't sign it we will automatically assume that you agree to it.

Silence/inaction is NEVER considered to be acceptance of a contract remember this!

Second non competition clauses cannot be too restrictive. So 10-15 miles is ok nation wide is not. Nor can they be for too long forever is completely unreasonable as is 6+ months.

Thirdly if you do decide to compete against your former employer for them to win damages from you they have to prove directly that there was a loss due to your actions which is extremely difficult.


Stu about a decade ago one day worked late (I was working late due to my underlings being ill) I saw him scanning stuff but didn't bother to question it... hell he was an associate I was just a lackey. He stole 1/3 of the client base and quit. The company I worked for tried to sue him and failed essentially all 'his clients' wrote that they wanted to switch out of their free will and H no longer represented their interests and that they were unhappy.

The next week they came out with restrictive non competition and non poaching clauses. I didn't sign it. Anna thought she was clever and said that if you don't sign it then we assume this as acceptance.

Fast forward 6 months Tom (an employment agent) and I conducted a staff raid on the business poaching their key staff and I got £500 per person. I was going to client poach them too but Alan got in there before me.

I didn't get caught. Alan did get caught Anna tried to sue him on the NCC as he didn't sign the contract and she tried the old silence = acceptance.

Unfortunately for her for the ACCA they teach you contract law these days and she didn't have a leg to stand on. She did however give bad references to ALL her former employees out of spite, I was re-interviewed several weeks into my new job.
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

........................
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 15 Jan 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:30 - 16 Feb 2015    Post subject: Re: Employment contract questions. Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
I was going to client poach them too but Alan got in there before me.


That's just so typical of Alan, the bastard.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:05 - 16 Feb 2015    Post subject: Re: Employment contract questions. Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
Silence/inaction is NEVER considered to be acceptance of a contract remember this!

Brogden v Metropolitan Railway Company 1876.

Rust v Abbey Life Assurance Co Ltd 1979.

Contracts can be implicitly agreed to by ongoing conduct.

Itchy wrote:
Second non competition clauses cannot be too restrictive. So 10-15 miles is ok nation wide is not. Nor can they be for too long forever is completely unreasonable as is 6+ months.

You seem to have forgotten to cite your case law.

One example which from the sounds of it didn't reach court does not a binding precedent make.

To be clear, I do actually think you're right on the silence issue because I can't imagine any conduct that would specifically indicate acceptance of a non-compete. However, I wouldn't want to bet my career on it.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dan87
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 15 Nov 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:06 - 16 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long since the company was taken over?

Also your contract at the moment is legally binding and cannot be alerted without both parties conscent. If you are not happy with it, you do not have to sign it, and advise them that you are working under protest. However as others have said non competes are particularly hard to enforce.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

AngelGrinder
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:33 - 16 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Company was taken over September 13, lack of new contract is down to new owners lack of competence. He has 2 consultants brought in December to sort things out, as we are losing large amounts of staff. Positions have been replaced mostly with friends of the boss, being paid as consultants via the boss.

When the company used to exist before the new owner, it was 2 companies, so the old company is still owned by the previous director. There has been many court battles over trading names, patents Etc. The old boss is someone who is likely to employ me. Old boss is constantly demonized by current boss, so of I moved there, it would likely really piss him off.

Thanks for all the advice so far.
____________________
Currently Riding - 2002 Aprilia RSV1000 Mille
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

tracks
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 01 Nov 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:19 - 16 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar situation a while ago where my employer offered me a parachute exit payment if I signed a restrictive covenant that stopped me working for a competitor for 12 months. I didn't sign it.

If you leave of your own accord and your employer tries to get you to sign one, don't. He cannot deny you the right to make a living in your chosen industry or profession.

The only time this may be an issue is if you are involved in sales and you poach his existing clients. That may be frowned upon.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

andys675
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:47 - 18 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

given my first contract after 9 years with the company, couldn't be bothered to read it, I was more interested in the legality of it, and discovered that after 6 months employment any contract is not worth the paper it's written on, told the boss and he went away and didn't bring it up again
____________________
Some people feel the rain, others just get wet.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

nelmo
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 05 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:30 - 19 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently interviewing at a company which has these terms and I've heard some bad stories about them trying to enforce them. However, cannot find any direct evidence or proof of this, just word of mouth.

However, my thinking is, why tell them where you are moving on to? Just lie and saying you are going to a non-competitor, no? I once lied to an employer and said I WAS going to a competitor and they let me leave without working my notice - one months paid holiday Thumbs Up
____________________
Bike history: Suzuki GSXF600, BMW F650, Honda Varadero, Suzuki V-Strom, Kawasaki Versys
Current: Honda NC700X
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:01 - 19 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upshot of restrictive covenants is they have to be brought in front of a magistrate or sherriff to be enforced.

A magistrate is not going to issue a court order preventing someone from earning a living. There has to be a good reason. "Vexatious" action to get one over on an ex employee is highly frowned upon.

The thing with people attempting to add unwanted clauses/new contracts is to dispute them. But quietly. Idealy in such a way as they don't notice.

My boss tried to lump me with a new contract. I disputed several clauses and refused to accept the contract as it stood, in writing, in the form of a bland and very verbose memo submitted directly into his hand when he was super busy. That was 7 years ago. I still have a copy on file. He has yet to respond. Is it an enforceable contract?
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:57 - 19 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a contract that stated if I signed I would waiver my entitlement to the 48hour week directive...or something (I can't fully remember the exact wording). I sought advice, the crux of it was, if signed I could be asked to work more than 48hours without any come back. I decided I didn't want to work for 48hours or more a week, so I made an addendum to the contract.

Discussed it with HR and they accepted it. And that was that. No issues. I kept doing my 35hour week job. Thumbs Up
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 228 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.54 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 99.92 Kb