|
|
| Author |
Message |
| bikertomm |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 bikertomm World Chat Champion

Joined: 03 Jul 2010 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 21:06 - 17 Feb 2015 Post subject: Complaining about a University course. |
 |
|
Hi, at 20 years old and working full time (self-employed at the time)
I decided to take the plunge and get a qualification relevant to what I was doing at work.
This meant self-funding the course myself, and taking 1 day a week off unpaid. Fine, I'll do what I've got to do.
2 year course, £2200 a year.
So much has gone on I genuinely don't know where to start.
The basics is that I don't believe I'm getting the tuition I'm paying for.
Tl;dr complete utter shambles, couldn't organise a thing to save their own lives, paying lots of money for nothing, I am so far in now I just want my piece of paper and to never see the place again.
What do I do?
For example: *deep breath*
The lectures turn up late all the time. There is often no lesson plan and lots of babbling about no topic what-so-ever.
We will be told there is an assignment due, and have no details on what we need to do for the assignment until a week beforehand after constant chasing each week to hear 'We'll get that for you next week' (I even have a case of this on email with dates asking them to put an assignment up, which was never replied too..)
The thing is, the work is hard, the exams are hard, we simply don't get anything decent from them.
On a few occasions they have not turned up etc without telling us. Meaning we all get there for no reason. This is not acceptable in my opinion when they have an online database and can make one post and we all get emails.
We rarely get feedback on our work, on which they promise to give week on week. I kid you not I asked consecutively over 5 weeks and was told next week every time.
Last year the outrage was that they are stopping the engineering degree.
As when we signed up to do the course it was all 'Yes once you have done the HNC you can proceed onto the Beng etc' and then they basically reversed their decision 1 year on and said no, we are stopping all engineering courses after you have finished your HNC.
A letter was sent to the head signed by all HNC students, and nothing ever came from it.
So now in the second year to me it feels like the tutors don't give a shit about us, they know it's the last year and so do we.
What also happened was they combined classes. In the first year we had the tutors for our class of 20 people. Now there are 40-60 students in one room.
Today for example I've been in, have a planned lesson from 1-2pm, he turns up at 1.10pm, chats a load of shit and un-necessary nonsense, then we watch a youtube video that he admitted he had never seen before 'so didn't know if it was any good'
Then another youtube video. Then end of lesson at 1.50pm. It's quite simply a complete utter joke that they are charging me what they are.
The list honestly never ends. We then have a planned lesson at 3-4 for some other work. But one of the lectures was 'in a meeting' and so didn't turn up - meaning loads of our class are now late in doing a presentation.
The maths lesson is the only lesson we ever do any work, but the problem with this is we are not being taught.
He simply reads from a text book and covers the board in letters leaving a class of 40+ mind-fucked to the next century.
And recently just to top everything off we had some maths 'labs' to do, this involved a LOT of hard work. I must have spent well over 40 hours completing it. Out of the 60 students in the class 4 people's went missing. You guessed it. Mine did.
The good thing is he had actually marked the work before it was lost and so the mark has been logged. I got 92%, highest in the class..
The good thing is that I have logged a good amount in a diary of what happened on what week etc.
Basically, I could (and have) write about endless tales of how shit this course is being run. I feel like a mug, I am getting paid a 4 day wage in my new job because of it (fair) but also having to pay out lots of money for a course not worth the paper it's written on.
And such is life. But - I want to complain, and if possible avoid paying my last couple of payments - what's the best procedure for doing this? Another potential problem is that the course leader is one of our lectures, who ultimately mark our exams..
Has anyone here ever been in a similar situation?
NB- The course finishes in early June. I have 2 payments of £725 to pay which they are asking for now.
I also have no idea how I will pass the maths exam (and neither does anyone else in the class.)
Cheers, a very stressed bikertomm. ____________________ 07' Honda Hornet now full powaah! My guide on performing an oil change! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| pepperami |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 pepperami Super Spammer

Joined: 17 Jan 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 22:14 - 17 Feb 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
As an assessor delivering Apprenticeships in the work place, I have a little bit of insight, possibly? maybe?
If you complain, not only send the letter to the Head-of-school or the Principle, but also make sure Ofsted get a copy.
Also who is the awarding body for your qualification? they may be interested if your college is not providing a fit and proper service or meeting the course criteria.
It dead easy to complain, but if you do, make sure of your facts before you present them
As you are concerned about your maths : is there not Student Support at your college? ____________________ I am the sum total of my own existence, what went before makes me who I am now! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| mentalboy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 mentalboy World Chat Champion

Joined: 05 May 2012 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 22:20 - 17 Feb 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
Ever wonder how some of the monkeys walking around managed to get their degrees?
Or why how a nation once reputed for it's engineering prowess struggles to tie it's own shoelaces?  ____________________ Make mine a Corona. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| bikertomm |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 bikertomm World Chat Champion

Joined: 03 Jul 2010 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 22:30 - 17 Feb 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
| pepperami wrote: | As an assessor delivering Apprenticeships in the work place, I have a little bit of insight, possibly? maybe?
If you complain, not only send the letter to the Head-of-school or the Principle, but also make sure Ofsted get a copy.
Also who is the awarding body for your qualification? they may be interested if your college is not providing a fit and proper service or meeting the course criteria.
It dead easy to complain, but if you do, make sure of your facts before you present them
As you are concerned about your maths : is there not Student Support at your college? |
Thanks for the reply. When you say letter, should I do an old school actual letter or would an email be okay?
The awarding body is a good question, one I've asked myself before. I don't think they have one. E.g, they make up the exams and criteria themselves. I know they mark them too.
I wish there was an external body to complain too / get mock exams etc.
I will get my facts straight, I have over 7 pages on A4 of complaints that I need to get into order and not sound like a whiney bitch.
Student support? Not that I know of.. they prefer taking money and leaving us in the shit.
Thanks. I will maybe get drafting a letter.  ____________________ 07' Honda Hornet now full powaah! My guide on performing an oil change! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| bikertomm |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 bikertomm World Chat Champion

Joined: 03 Jul 2010 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| DrSnoosnoo |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 DrSnoosnoo World Chat Champion

Joined: 28 Mar 2012 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| pepperami |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 pepperami Super Spammer

Joined: 17 Jan 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 22:52 - 17 Feb 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
| bikertomm wrote: |
Thanks for the reply. When you say letter, should I do an old school actual letter or would an email be okay?
The awarding body is a good question, one I've asked myself before. I don't think they have one. E.g, they make up the exams and criteria themselves. I know they mark them too.
I wish there was an external body to complain too / get mock exams etc.
I will get my facts straight, I have over 7 pages on A4 of complaints that I need to get into order and not sound like a whiney bitch.
Student support? Not that I know of.. they prefer taking money and leaving us in the shit.
Thanks. I will maybe get drafting a letter.  |
Firstly E-mail and a hard copy letter and make sure you keep copies.
Secondly: If you complete your course and it`s certificated, who awards your certificate?
Are you on a nationally recognized qualification? : if you are, then there must be an awarding body ____________________ I am the sum total of my own existence, what went before makes me who I am now! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| bikertomm |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 bikertomm World Chat Champion

Joined: 03 Jul 2010 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 23:03 - 17 Feb 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
Snoo, yes it's a Uni.
And pepperami, It's recognised in the fact that it's a HNC; the only thing I can find on the matter is that the Uni themselves are the awarding body!
I did find that they are on the list of 'accredited courses' by the IED though (Institution of engineers) - Not sure if this would mean anything?
EDIT: Might have found something : https://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/25592.html
Will give them an email.
Cheers, Tom.  ____________________ 07' Honda Hornet now full powaah! My guide on performing an oil change! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| -Matt- |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 -Matt- World Chat Champion
Joined: 28 Apr 2013 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 01:35 - 18 Feb 2015 Post subject: Re: Complaining about a University course. |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Lord Percy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Lord Percy World Chat Champion

Joined: 03 Aug 2012 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kris |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kris World Chat Champion

Joined: 03 Feb 2002 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 09:15 - 18 Feb 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
Not suprising. Our college (HNC Engineering too as it happens) back in 2001 was a 50/50 split between decent tutors and proper chancers / supply tutors covering stress leave.
Also have witnessed similar stories of lecturers not showing up, disinterested staff, lost work and no student support from a South East London university. That was a teaching degree FFS!
This country is so fucked. Can you get a refund? ____________________ NSR125RR - ZXR750H1 - ZX9R E1 - GSF600S - GSF600SK3 - VFR400-NC30 - SV1000N - ST1100-R - CBR900RR-R - GSF1200SK5 - GSF600SK1 - VFR1200FA - GSXR1000K2 - ZZR1400 D8F
www.prisonplanet.com |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ste |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ste Not Work Safe

Joined: 01 Sep 2002 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rogerborg |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rogerborg nimbA

Joined: 26 Oct 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 09:26 - 18 Feb 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
| bikertomm wrote: | I will get my facts straight, I have over 7 pages on A4 of complaints that I need to get into order and not sound like a whiney bitch. |
Then quit acting like one. Your ongoing acceptance of their conduct (you keep showing up, right?) has validated their behaviour.
Keep it strictly factual. Names, dates, times, locations.
Assert that they are in breach of their contract to supply services.
Letter before action, £2,200 is small claims track.
Absolutely sod all will change unless and until it starts costing them. ____________________ Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| bikertomm |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 bikertomm World Chat Champion

Joined: 03 Jul 2010 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 10:31 - 18 Feb 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
| Rogerborg wrote: | | bikertomm wrote: | I will get my facts straight, I have over 7 pages on A4 of complaints that I need to get into order and not sound like a whiney bitch. |
Then quit acting like one. Your ongoing acceptance of their conduct (you keep showing up, right?) has validated their behaviour.
Keep it strictly factual. Names, dates, times, locations.
Assert that they are in breach of their contract to supply services.
Letter before action, £2,200 is small claims track.
Absolutely sod all will change unless and until it starts costing them. |
Ste, it's £2,200 a year. (£4400 total)
Interesting points Roger cheers, It's kind of hard not to sound whiney even just writing facts..
I think nothing will change at all - this is the last year of the course. It's like they have given up early.
Interestingly I read some reviews on the uni last night and many echo the same situation as me (Using powerpoints the tutor hasn't even seen before, no feedback etc etc.) These reviews were from students full time who are paying £9,000 a year and having just 12 hours a week!
I just worked out that this year it cost's me about £155 a time - for 3.5 hours of actual lesson time.
Will try to draft a letter soon.
Cheers.  ____________________ 07' Honda Hornet now full powaah! My guide on performing an oil change! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ste |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ste Not Work Safe

Joined: 01 Sep 2002 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| bikertomm |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 bikertomm World Chat Champion

Joined: 03 Jul 2010 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ste |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ste Not Work Safe

Joined: 01 Sep 2002 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Mark65 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Mark65 World Chat Champion

Joined: 16 May 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| pepperami |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 pepperami Super Spammer

Joined: 17 Jan 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 13:07 - 18 Feb 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
Bikertomm : one thing you need to remember : It`s your qualification and the onus is on you to meet the criteria.
What I mean is that although you feel that you are not getting the support/tuition you think you deserve, you can still make progress by being pro-active and doing the research for yourself.
After all you will be the one with a certificate in your hand in the end  ____________________ I am the sum total of my own existence, what went before makes me who I am now! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| bikertomm |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 bikertomm World Chat Champion

Joined: 03 Jul 2010 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 13:16 - 18 Feb 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
| pepperami wrote: | Bikertomm : one thing you need to remember : It`s your qualification and the onus is on you to meet the criteria.
What I mean is that although you feel that you are not getting the support/tuition you think you deserve, you can still make progress by being pro-active and doing the research for yourself.
After all you will be the one with a certificate in your hand in the end  |
Hi mate, I fully understand this, and I actively do it. (Hence why the on the last assignment I spent hours researching very difficult maths, some of which we haven't even covered.. and it payed off. - It's just very frustrating, in an ideal world it shouldn't be like that.)
It's like 'Self-learning' is effectively 'Pay your money, goodbye.' ____________________ 07' Honda Hornet now full powaah! My guide on performing an oil change! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| pepperami |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 pepperami Super Spammer

Joined: 17 Jan 2010 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| b422063 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 b422063 Crazy Courier

Joined: 14 Oct 2014 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 11 years, 229 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|