Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


GS500E - Fast oil use, very black

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Nov 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:40 - 18 Feb 2015    Post subject: GS500E - Fast oil use, very black Reply with quote

Right, so I bought a cheap bike on the basis it was running well.

It is running well, but in the 200 miles I've done on it, it seems to have used a lot of oil. GS500's are known to, apparently, and I may be being paranoid as I didn't check the level accurately.

The exhaust endpipe has thick dry black powder on it, not really greasy at all.

The engine appears to have no oil leaks on the outside of it. I've looked underneath and no signs of spray or such.

There's no funny smell or smoke from the engine.

The airbox breather pipe is a bit greasy, but not terrible.

It has been stored outside, uncovered, since buying it. I heard the moisture can affect it?

I have made a very careful note of the oil level now, but am turning down work due to fears it will not be reliable (work wasn't that local). Some more things to check would be handy.

Will do a spark plug out thumb over outlet compression test in a second.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

wr6133
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:53 - 18 Feb 2015    Post subject: Re: GS500E - Fast oil use, very black Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:

Will do a spark plug out thumb over outlet compression test in a second.


Unless you are testing for the difference between zero and some compression that is pointless.

I'd just ride it, take the work carry a 1L bottle of oil. Top up if and when needed. My ZZR has been going through oil more than it should for ages but has still done 12k or more miles without dumping me anywhere since I noticed.

Also sounds dumb but how level is the ground you checked on? A very slight incline when you check once, followed by a slight incline the other direction the next time you check can lead to fairly different readings.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Iain.
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 04 Dec 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:14 - 18 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
US Quarts (Liquid)

A US capacity measure (for liquids) equal to 2 pints or 0.946 liters


GS500 forum wrote:
Ours used 1/2 qt every 400 - 600 miles.


GS500 forum wrote:
A newer and/or well broken in engine won't drink any oil at all. None of mine ever have.
But once they get up in miles (30K+) then it is inevitable that wear and tear will take its toll.


So a litre of oil every 400 miles is fairly normal stuff. It does only hold 2.9 litres of oil in the first place, so we're talking about it burning 1/3rd its engine oil!

Mine used loads, as I said - Just grab a 4ltr jug of cheapest supermarket 10w40 and keep topping it up. The engines dinosaur technology & has done 50,000 miles, it's only when it starts smoking that you've got any issue to worry about.

Have faith Laughing Thumbs Up [/quote][/code]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Nov 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:14 - 18 Feb 2015    Post subject: Re: GS500E - Fast oil use, very black Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:

Also sounds dumb but how level is the ground you checked on? A very slight incline when you check once, followed by a slight incline the other direction the next time you check can lead to fairly different readings.


Yeh, I took more care about where I checked it the second time, and I'm certain it was accurate now.

Just had a panic when I saw it was so low, and the bike was struggling to start. Had to add a crap load in to it to make it reach full.

I have added nearly 2 litres since bringing it home last weekend, and the trip meter total is 200miles.

Unless it was just really low (/the oil pan is very wide), I can't see how it would use so much oil so quickly.

I will keep a much closer eye on it from now on, but what is the likely damage?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Nov 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:17 - 18 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iain. wrote:


So a litre of oil every 400 miles is fairly normal stuff. It does only hold 2.9 litres of oil in the first place, so we're talking about it burning 1/3rd its engine oil!

Mine used loads, as I said - Just grab a 4ltr jug of cheapest supermarket 10w40 and keep topping it up. The engines dinosaur technology & has done 50,000 miles, it's only when it starts smoking that you've got any issue to worry about.

Have faith Laughing Thumbs Up


I would, but at 30 quid for 5 litres of cheap halfrauds bike oil, it is no cheap hobby. That works out at an extra 1.5p a mile...

Kind of eliminates me from using it to commute to really crap paid jobs Sad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Nov 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:23 - 18 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, current use is 2l in 200 miles.

At 30 quid for 5l, that is 12 quid in 200 miles, which is an extra 6p a mile...

Are you suggesting I buy car motoroil?

This type? (Although it seems to be for diesels)

Doesn't that get murdered by the gears pretty quickly.


Last edited by Sun Wukong on 11:25 - 18 Feb 2015; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Iain.
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 04 Dec 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:24 - 18 Feb 2015    Post subject: Re: GS500E - Fast oil use, very black Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:
Unless it was just really low (/the oil pan is very wide), I can't see how it would use so much oil so quickly.

I will keep a much closer eye on it from now on, but what is the likely damage?


It was very low when you picked it up, somewhere between 1/4 and the minimum mark when I checked it just before you left Shocked

Chances of damage are low unless its flagged the oil pressure light, my blue GS flagged oil pressure once and died the week after despite killing it instantly and re-filling with oil from a garage.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

wr6133
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:27 - 18 Feb 2015    Post subject: Re: GS500E - Fast oil use, very black Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:

I will keep a much closer eye on it from now on, but what is the likely damage?


I'd doubt any from a short time at the lower end of where it should be. If you really want to sort it beyond guessed placebo's then it's engine out and stripped then rebuilt. I wouldn't bother on a hack just carry some cheap oil. I saw a GS500 in Bournemouth with a bottle of oil bungeed to the seat so I'd guess it's a common issue.

If it really, really bugs you and you are one of those guys that has to fix things then get a cheap engine on eBay, rebuild that while running the current one, swap em over and carry on. As I said though I really wouldn't bother, I would bet you've got plenty of mileage in the current one and Wilkinson's oil is easier/cheaper than rebuilds.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

wr6133
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:31 - 18 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:


Are you suggesting I buy car motoroil?

This type? (Although it seems to be for diesels)

Doesn't that get murdered by the gears pretty quickly.


Oil is oil. I always use this https://www.wilko.com/car-maintenance/wilko-motor-oil-10w40-5l/invt/0257972
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:34 - 18 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:

Oil is oil.

/SLAP
Wake up.
____________________
a.k.a 'Geri'

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Iain.
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 04 Dec 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:36 - 18 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:
Doesn't that get murdered by the gears pretty quickly.


Irrelevant, you'll have burnt all three litres of oil in 1500miles so it won't matter Laughing

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/engine-oil/halfords-15w40-part-synthetic-oil-5l

Cheapest oil money can buy, anything that isn't magnatec - grab it when it's on offer in the supermarkets. My Bandit went to the BCF BBQ with its crankcases full of 10w60 diesel engine oil Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Nov 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:38 - 18 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
wr6133 wrote:

Oil is oil.

/SLAP
Wake up.


Agreed.

But guzzling oil is an expensive problem for a professional hobo like myself, so the cheaper the better.

Where do you buy that Wilko oil, and any other alternatives? Terrified about murdering the clutch or something by putting in the wrong oil. Always just used "motorcycle" oil.


Last edited by Sun Wukong on 11:39 - 18 Feb 2015; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

wr6133
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:38 - 18 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
wr6133 wrote:

Oil is oil.

/SLAP
Wake up.


Are you suggesting for everday use there is any real difference between using this https://www.wilko.com/car-maintenance/wilko-motor-oil-10w40-5l/invt/0257972?awc=2400_1424255840_0874148822bba30f7d3b94cb68117054 compared to this https://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Product.do?method=view&n=466&g=374549&p=352578&c=215&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Base&utm_campaign=4%20Stroke%20Oils&gclid=Cj0KEQiAjZGnBRCOuJOUo9Xd0sUBEiQAPbicNxGCFQidGCiE8ypstlXaeRzENDxv84gBmUKhLsYShIgaAsil8P8HAQ ?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord



Joined: 02 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:40 - 18 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iain. wrote:
Cheapest oil money can buy
Chevron 10w40 is a pound a litre cheaper.
____________________
'10 SV650SF, '83 GS650GT (it lives!), Questionable DIY dash project, 3D Printer project, Lasercutter project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

wr6133
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:41 - 18 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:


Where do you buy that Wilko oil, and any other alternatives?


Wilko = Wilkinsons the big chain of stores that sell all kinds of crap. It'll be the same as Tesco/asda/whatever own brand oil.

It's magnatec which supposedly causes issues
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Nov 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:49 - 18 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, let me be clear about this.

I can load the cock stroker up with any oil I like, essentially?

As long as I remember to top her up every few days, we're all bisto?

Just to be clear, is this oil safe to put in her?

Dropping to 15 quid every month or two is not the end of the world, but will there be long term damage/death/pestilence?

Wilko 15 quid oil
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Nov 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:51 - 18 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I also up the viscousity?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

wr6133
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:06 - 18 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've almost never used anything but that wilko oil and have yet to have an oil related meltdown.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:22 - 18 Feb 2015    Post subject: Re: GS500E - Fast oil use, very black Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:
The airbox breather pipe is a bit greasy, but not terrible.

How's the airbox itself? Any pooling oil in there?
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:41 - 18 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Tesco/Morrisons bog standard 10w40, £12 for 4 litres or something. On a bike like that designed to run in the 1970's... I'd not worry about the latest and greatest.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Nov 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:42 - 18 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish I knew this before spunking 30 quid on Halfrauds 5litres of bike oil.

Neutral

Live and learn eh.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Iain.
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 04 Dec 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:43 - 18 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think positive, Emma was putting Silkolene Comp 4 in there at £39.99 for 4ltrs. Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 234 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.14 Sec - Server Load: 1.29 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 118.6 Kb