Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


What would you have done?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

sensi5446
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 12 Feb 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:23 - 21 Feb 2015    Post subject: What would you have done? Reply with quote

Hi

Short version at the bottom,

Just before christmas some scrote reversed into my wifes car that was parked outside our house, she was just coming in so she heard the bang.

I go outside and he's trying to tell my misses that its not that bad just a small scratch, after telling him its a lot worse he then asks would we let him pay for the damage instead of going through his insurance. Being nice I thought its only going to cost a few hundred to fix so better then raping his insurance and agree. I take his reg, name, number and as hes just come out of my neighbors I thought that would be all I need. I was just going out as this happened so I phoned him about an hour latter and his phone rang out, I had a feeling something was a bit a miss so I phoned 101 and reported the incident to have it logged. They said to contact my insurance if I can't get hold of him by the next day.

Next day no joy getting hold of the lad so I phone my wifes insurance, they take details and say they'll be in contact. It was christmas the next day so I left it until the new year and phone the insurance back. They tell me that whoever took the first call didn't do his job as they had no report of it, I explained it all again and this time they email the next day. Turns out the cars uninsured so they said they will try and trace the driver and contact the police. fast forward a month and we get another email saying they are still trying to trace the driver.

So fast forward again to yesterday and I'm driving home from work, I got out early so thought I'd pop to the shops first. As I'm driving down the road I spot a silver golf, I check reg as I've memorised it and its the car!!!!! I quickly pull over and then spin the car around and drive after it, I pull in front of it and see there's 2 guys in the car and the driver is the same guy who hit my wifes car so I carry on driving and let him over take me, I then pull up behind him at the lights. I'm fuming at the cheek of this guy still driving around in the same car and nothing being done about it. To be truly honest I wanted to drag him out of his car and give him a good slap and 10 years ago I would of but I'm trying to deal with this the right way and not get myself arrested. So the only thing I thought off was to jump out and take a pic of his face for proof he is the driver and have a word, so I did.

I jump out put phone on video and walk to his car but his window was all steamed up so I opened his door, his mate grabbed his face and turns it away, then I put the phone in my pocket and tell him he takes the piss and owes my wife money for the car, he stutters and says he changed his number, I said he's talking shit and he know where I live, his mate then starts saying drive around the corner and we'll have it out. Now I like a good scrap but know this wont get me anywhere, I also know after lots of asking about that he comes from a troublesome family. Now I can hold my own but I have to think of my wife and kids. Anyways at the point his mate starts mouthing off I walk away and get back in my car and go home.

I then phone the police to report I've just seen the twat driving the same car at which point the car pulls up outside and starts beeping and the mate is shouting out of his window. The police were useless and didn't give a shit and were more interested in why I took a video of the guy and saying I could end up causing more trouble for myself and I should just leave it to my insurance. I said well the cars outside now, are you not concerned that its not insured. Then the car drove off and they police said they'll get someone from our area to phone me, they phone me at about 10pm and and basically ask me to explain everything and then say I should not get involved and leave it to the insurance.

Short version,

Scrote hits my wifes car outside house, we agree he can pay instead of going through his insurance. Scrote then turns phone off, I report it to police and insurance, both do fuck all apart from telling me its uninsured.

I see car, (spot reg) drive past me yesterday, follow it and get out at lights and take video of driver. Wish I punched his head in but that puts me in the shit too.

So what would you have done, would you have just left it?

This has really pissed me off.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

J4mes
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:32 - 21 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would never give anyone the benefit of the doubt or allow them to avoid going through the insurance.

Every single fucking week someone gets stitched up on here.

But you better get in there first and kill his whole family and all his mates before they do you Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

orac
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Sep 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:32 - 21 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

chalk it up to experience.

next time make sure you get a full address, pictures (camera on phones are really very handy) and everything.

and always, always go through insurance, doing it the nice way never works because scrotes will fuck you about like this.
____________________
Current rides - 2016 Triumph Street Triple Rx, 1994 Suzuki Bandit 400 VM, TGB 204 Classic 125cc
"with nothing left to lose, there is everything to gain. It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:55 - 21 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

orac wrote:
chalk it up to experience.

next time make sure you get a full address, pictures (camera on phones are really very handy) and everything.

and always, always go through insurance, doing it the nice way never works because scrotes will fuck you about like this.


He couldn't go through insurance, the scrote has none.
____________________
I'm Sam; Northern, Ginger, Lover
Did have: '95 ZZR600 '83 CG125 '97 ZZR1100 '15 Hypermotard 821 SP Do Have: '10 ZX10R
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

andyscooter
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:56 - 21 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would of just smashed the rear window and fucked off

that way he would of been out of pocket and possibly couldn't of afforded his next load of weed /smack whatever
____________________
gilera runner vxr200 (chavped)
if its spelt wrong its my fat fingers and daft auto correct on my tablet
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer



Joined: 01 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:02 - 21 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just put it in the hands of the Police now.
____________________
Famous last words of Humpty Dumpty. " Stop pushing me "
Petty Anarchists look at "1984".............. The Visionary looks at "Animal Farm".
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

flikers
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 16 Feb 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:10 - 21 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure I'd want to disclose what I'd do, especially on a public forum....
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

orac
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Sep 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:13 - 21 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

snoosnoo wrote:
orac wrote:
chalk it up to experience.

next time make sure you get a full address, pictures (camera on phones are really very handy) and everything.

and always, always go through insurance, doing it the nice way never works because scrotes will fuck you about like this.


He couldn't go through insurance, the scrote has none.


and soon it happened the ole bill (its easy work for them over catching criminals that do something as bad as stealing someone bike) should have been involved, that way this situation would have been avoided. now that claim is old they wont bother.
____________________
Current rides - 2016 Triumph Street Triple Rx, 1994 Suzuki Bandit 400 VM, TGB 204 Classic 125cc
"with nothing left to lose, there is everything to gain. It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

sensi5446
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 12 Feb 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:17 - 21 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I said in someone elses thread after it had happened that I'd never do it again, you live and learn.

Do you guys think I should of just left it or was right getting a pick of him.

I could of damaged his car but that then puts me in the wrong to and he know where I live whereas I don't have his address so he could then come and damage my property.

I've gone with Skudds advice, lets see how it turns out
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Nov 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:19 - 21 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being nice where money's involved is never a good idea.
I would have asked him nicely for proof of identity and insurance details.
I would then have reminded him that failing to provide details was an offence under the Road Traffic Act, and asked him nicely again.
Next it's a 999 call - RTA - uninsured driver.
____________________
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa, hey-hey,
the men in white coats are coming to take me away.
Yamaha Vity -> YBR125 -> FZS600 Fazer -> FZ1-S Fazer
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Jul 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:06 - 21 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The options left now are, either for you to pay for the damage to the car and suck it up.
Or forget about ever getting a penny out of the scumbag as you won't! Nor will the Police ever be interested unless they catch him with ANPR and it won't deter him from doing it again or being a pondlife bottom feeder.

If I couldn't let it go and forget about it, then there is only one option IMO. You need to get access to his car when he's not around to sabotage it, or cause it to catch fire/explode when he next gets in it. Just car damage with him not in it won't do anything to change the fact that he's subhuman and only fit to fry!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sensi5446
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 12 Feb 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:15 - 21 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_Pagin wrote:
Being nice where money's involved is never a good idea.
I would have asked him nicely for proof of identity and insurance details.
I would then have reminded him that failing to provide details was an offence under the Road Traffic Act, and asked him nicely again.
Next it's a 999 call - RTA - uninsured driver.


I know Sad , like I said lesson learned. Just find it mad that he can just get away with it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:42 - 21 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

flikers wrote:
Not sure I'd want to disclose what I'd do, especially on a public forum....


If I find the cunt that stole my bike, I'm going to put a claw hammer through his eyes and break his fingers using a brick.

But this guy, insurance wise, I'd follow home with a handful of spark plug ceramic and "clean his windows"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Tritey This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Skudd
Super Spammer



Joined: 01 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:31 - 21 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is never too late to let the Police know, especially as you first did the gentlemanly thing of letting him put it right out of his own pocket first.

This guy will always be doing such things and the more he gets away with stuff the more he will do it. A pull from the Police on his way to the chippy with his mates will really bugger his day up, especially if they take his vehicle from him. he will get another car and drive that around just the same, but at least he will be put out.

I would see what the Police can do for you. If you do the repairs to your own vehicle keep plenty of pictures of the damage and all your receipts just in case you can get any money back.
____________________
Famous last words of Humpty Dumpty. " Stop pushing me "
Petty Anarchists look at "1984".............. The Visionary looks at "Animal Farm".
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Nov 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:47 - 21 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so you informed the police and they're not interested.
My next step would be to write a formal complaint to the local Chief Constable.
If ignored, write to my MP, ask him to talk to the Chief Constable. I actually did this once, and the MP actually went and had a meeting with (commissioner) Sir Bernard.

Lastly if all else fails do a full write-up in your local paper. This close to a general election you should see some movement.
____________________
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa, hey-hey,
the men in white coats are coming to take me away.
Yamaha Vity -> YBR125 -> FZS600 Fazer -> FZ1-S Fazer
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

waffles
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:20 - 21 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the short version rather than the long version, but can your wife not claim off the MIB for the cost of repairs? A quick scan of the too long version informs me that its a small scratch but could be worse than that, do you have a cost for the repair yet?

My mums car was hit in a car park as a van tried to park in a space next to hers. The small scratch on the wheel arch and resulting check over revealed that the bumper has been pushed sideways and the wheel arch is pushed in. Resulting damage - approx. £800. Best get it checked properly.
____________________
Theory test - 19/8/09, CBT - 11/10/09, MOD 1 - 16/8/10, MOD 2 - 27/10/10
Past rides Yamaha XT125X, Triumph TT600, Honda XR250
Current rides Suzuki GSXR 600, Honda MSX125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mentalboy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:25 - 21 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got pics of the offender, his number plate and presumably some kind of reference from the police from the initial incident?
If so have a chat with your local newspaper about how concerned the local constabulary are with removing uninsured drivers from the local roads - might not help your situation financially (but then, neither would giving the little scrote a good kicking) but the local plod might get a bit more pro-active after a front page splash. I'd speak to various prospective political members looking for votes later this year too.
____________________
Make mine a Corona.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

b422063
Crazy Courier



Joined: 14 Oct 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:49 - 21 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.mib.org.uk/Submit+a+Claim/en/Default.htm Question
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

sensi5446
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 12 Feb 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:31 - 21 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The police were informed on both dates and have the car reg but not sure what there going to do with it, it seems like they need the insurance company to ask them to investigate before they will and the main feeling I'm getting from them is that I should leave it to the insurance company and stop getting involved, i.e taking pic of person.

I did ask neighbors who confirmed his name but say they don't really know him or where he lives, I don't believe them.

The driver side door is badly dented and scraped and he caught the wing mirror as well so that has a small scratch.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

monkeybiker
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Sep 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:44 - 21 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he is not insured then he is not taxed. Job him to dvla.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

sensi5446
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 12 Feb 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:56 - 21 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

monkeybiker wrote:
If he is not insured then he is not taxed. Job him to dvla.


Just check, cars untaxed so have notified the DVLA Thumbs Up ran out in Dec 2014.

I forgot so mention at the first RTA he said he had a trade policy.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

rideslikean00...
Nearly there...



Joined: 26 May 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:13 - 22 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Police are fucking useless in my experience.

Case in point - once when I was riding around with no lights on a pushbike at night when I was more reckless (about five years ago) I was chased by two squad cars and eventually a van as well. Five police officers and half hour of their time and I got two tickets. Wasteful. I never paid the tickets, the tickets themselves were never chased up and when I was stopped by the police for something else petty and minor about a year later there was nothing on the file either.

When I was living in a shared house around the same time we had a break in when everyone was out, some stuff was stolen including a few games consoles, enough that it was a bother. After an incident report over the phone, twice, and two hours wait they sent round some civvy finger printers who knew bugger all and did about that much. Never got anything follow up wise, not even a letter in the post.

I think I have other examples but that's enough for now. Oh wait. Yeah now I remember. Last March I got a fine for not having a paid train ticket. Apparently the fact I had to run last minute to get the train cos I was late to the station and expected to be able to pay via conductor wasn't enough, nor was producing valid tickets for every other day in six days that I'd used the train, nor was politely requesting that I deal with this after work because I'd literally only just started the job six days ago and them holding me up might make me lose it - especially because of planned engineering works making the route longer. Anyway that was annoying enough but I forgot to pay the fine, probably because the ticket was ripped up in anger almost the moment I stepped through the barriers after wasting forty minutes of my time dealing with jobsworth cunts. So it was kicked up to Crown court level - except I didn't even know until the end of last year, some 8+ months later. Even though in that time I moved house, registered my new address legally for various reasons (insurance companies, electoral register, DVLA for my bike license tests - no doubt caused by the BS I'd had with the trains) and anyone with half a brain and a working computer with access to government files could have found this and stopped sending it to my previous address a long time ago allowing me to deal with it much sooner rather than have to waste a paid holiday day from work to go sign paperwork etc in front of a magistrate. This isn't specifically police related but just goes to show how the whole justice system has more holes than a truck full of swiss cheese.

TL;DR

So yeah, in this case punching the guys lights out might have been satisfying but even though he hit your wife's car, was driving around without insurance etc like a right scrote you'd end up with more bother for ABH/GBH or similar than he would for driving round in a vehicle that is not technically road legal. Because, you know, POLICE ARE FUCKING USELESS.
____________________
.
Previous/Current Bikes
2013 Yamaha YBR-125ED -> 1997 Yamaha YZF-1000R Thunderace -> 2009 Yamaha XJ-6 Diversion -> 2007 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer S2
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer



Joined: 01 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:49 - 22 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets face facts........... no one is going to punch anyone.

If you bump into the guy himself, ask for the money to fix it, if no joy then let the Police do what they can when they can. It wont be instant, but it will be one day. The lad will have his day ruined.

As for the damage, if you want it repaired via your insurance, tell them, or get it done yourself at a reasonable cost that you can afford. If you can live with the damage, do so.

That is what we all do, unless we have a keyboard in front of us.
____________________
Famous last words of Humpty Dumpty. " Stop pushing me "
Petty Anarchists look at "1984".............. The Visionary looks at "Animal Farm".
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:20 - 22 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't really read it all, but:

Buy address from DVLA, start civil suit.

Start formal complaint against Dibble.

Move with your auntie and uncle in Bel Air.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 228 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.13 Sec - Server Load: 0.88 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 136.24 Kb