Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Honda CBF125 or Yamaha YBR125

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Yamaha YBR125, Honda CBF125 or Something else?
Yamaha YBR125
66%
 66%  [ 22 ]
Honda CBF125
18%
 18%  [ 6 ]
Something else
15%
 15%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 33

Author Message

Inakutia
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 25 Feb 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:19 - 27 Feb 2015    Post subject: Honda CBF125 or Yamaha YBR125 Reply with quote

I'm a new rider, I need advice on which bike to choose, my budget is 3000 and I want to buy it brand new (wanna do finance). I've been to shops and so far I've been interested in Honda CBF125 and Yamaha YBR125. However my first choice was Honda CBR125R, but I decided not to spend over £3000 on a 125cc. If you'd like to suggest any other bike apart from these two mentioned, please do so, I'm willing to listen. Also please give reasons for choices. Thank you! Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer



Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:21 - 27 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long do you plan on keeping the motorcycle? If you just want something till you'll be old enough to buy a A2 or A open bike, then I wouldn't go for a brand new motorcycle. These 125's loose their value very quickly.

I'd got for a CBR125 if I had to. Thumbs Up
____________________
'87 Honda XBR 500, '96 Kawasaki ZX7R P1, '90 Honda CB-1, '88 Kawasaki GPz550, MZ 150 ETZ
'95 Mercedes-Benz w202 C200 CGI, '98 Mercedes-Benz w210 E200 Kompressor
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Inakutia
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 25 Feb 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:54 - 27 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
How long do you plan on keeping the motorcycle? If you just want something till you'll be old enough to buy a A2 or A open bike, then I wouldn't go for a brand new motorcycle. These 125's loose their value very quickly.

I'd got for a CBR125 if I had to. Thumbs Up


Well I'm actually 19, but I don't want a bigger bike because I don't want to risk it. I need something to last me 2/3 years, I'll get a car in few months as well so I can go on trips (bit more practical ay?)
Now I just want a nice bike to get me to and from work, and around the city. Don't want anything too powerful that I wouldn't be able to handle.
I've heard and actually read on this forum that yamaha ybr125 doesn't lose much in value same with hondas, even when old they go for quite a bit of money.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Baffler186
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 May 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:06 - 27 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

All three mentioned are good bikes when they are working properly, bit of a gamble as to whether you get a new one with minor niggles. There have been reports of electrical issues and such on the CBF, which aren't famed for their anti-corrosion properties.

You will probably find that after a while you'll want to "risk" a bigger bike, but hey it's your money
____________________
Current: 2009 SV650 S, 1990 Kawasaki GT550
Previous: 2009 CBF125, 1998 GSF600, 2004 FZ6 Fazer, 1978 CB400a Hondamatic
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

finchy95
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 26 Jan 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:14 - 27 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a 19 year old CBR owner who's using it for the exact same purpose as you I thoroughly endorse it. It is expensive yes but it's a good bike and (at least mine is) on 0% finance it's good on fuel nice to look at and will actually give it a fair bit of beans (inb4 "it's a 125") when you want it to.
____________________
2005 suzuki van van - Sold. -> 2015 honda cbr 125 r - current bike.
Now's not the time for fear. That comes later.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:47 - 27 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ikausia wrote:
Well I'm actually 19

Then don't waste your time on a tiddler, and especially don't buy one new.

You want a CBR125, and you have £3000 to spend. That gets you an A2 license and a restricted SV650S with fairing lowers or (insert many many other bikes).

Ikausia wrote:
I don't want a bigger bike because I don't want to risk it.

If you're going to ride at wide open throttle because you can't trust yourself, then you'll lamppost yourself just as dead with 11kW and 70mph than with 35kW and 120mph. The main difference will be how far the gibs fly.

Here's what I suggest that you do.

Do your CBT first. That'll give you a feel for whether you enjoy biking. When you come back from the road ride, aglow with confidence, ask if you can have a quick go on an A2 training bike in the compound with a view to seeing if you want to go straight on to do your A2 license with that training school.

After the pop-pop-wobble of the 125, you'll immediately notice that the 500 is smoother, more stable, and in fact easier to ride.

Maybe you still won't want to go straight on to A2. Fair enough. Get a 125, but no way would I buy one new, and especially not on finance.

You'd need fully comprehensive insurance, you'd need to get it professionally serviced to maintain the warranty, you won't own it, and you'd owe the finance company at least £500 the moment you sign the deal. That's the price of getting yourself an A2 license.

The merit of 125s is that they're cheap to run. Paying £100 a month to ride (but not even own) one cancels that out.

Not what you wanted to hear, I know.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike


Last edited by Rogerborg on 15:53 - 27 Feb 2015; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Arwen
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 31 Jul 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:52 - 27 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do your cbt and see what you think. Then ask the show room for a go on each bike you like the look of to see what you think of it.

If you can afford to buy new and you don't mind the depreciation then go for it. If everyone only bought 2nd hand 125's then there would be very few decent ones around in 5 years time!

The depreciation on 125's is no where near as bad as it is on most cars however.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Hefty
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 25 Jun 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:06 - 27 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldnt buy a 125 on finance, especially not your first bike. No offense meant to yourself, but chances are you will send your shiny new pointy-faired bike down the road or at the very least drop it, then you'll have to ride it around with scratched fairings etc whilst still paying monthly for it.
____________________
'13 Honda CBF125 // '99 Suzuki SV650s // '98 Honda CB600F Hornet
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:26 - 27 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arwen wrote:
If everyone only bought 2nd hand 125's then there would be very few decent ones around in 5 years time!

If nobody strangled prostitutes, how would anatomists learn their trade?

New 125s are fine for those committed to using them for several years: that means 17 year olds, or commuters who have determined through experience that they don't need or want anything more.

For a 19 year old who could do A2, a new 125 will be a burden rather than an asset.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Inakutia
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 25 Feb 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:39 - 27 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Arwen wrote:
If everyone only bought 2nd hand 125's then there would be very few decent ones around in 5 years time!

If nobody strangled prostitutes, how would anatomists learn their trade?

New 125s are fine for those committed to using them for several years: that means 17 year olds, or commuters who have determined through experience that they don't need or want anything more.

For a 19 year old who could do A2, a new 125 will be a burden rather than an asset.


I have actually done my CBT a month ago, and been driving a 50cc scooter since, originally I wanted a car but the insurance is God damn expensive, so I decided to put it aside for few months maybe years. The 50cc is not strong enough, and its starting to break now. I'm generally a very conscious driver, that doesn't overtake and takes it slow, but I have of course made mistakes. I want to go on finance because I don't really have 3000 in cash to spent, I have around 600 for the deposit and I set myself a limit of 3000 as I Dont want to spend more. Yeah I want to keep it for few years, or maybe sell it and get a bigger bike in a year, and still pay my finance? If that's possible. I'm just too scared of big bikes, I'm a small girl with a tiny body, I love riding but I wouldn't risk killing myself. Even tho I might be a careful rider, everyone makes mistakes and sometimes someone else can make a mistake . I Dont want to use it on motorways, if I do I'll get a car. I don't know, I'm confused now Sad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Nov 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:49 - 27 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were you I'd go for a full licence, even if you never intend to ride anything bigger that a 125. Why? Because a significant number of cagers take great delight in bullying L plated riders. Simply not having that burden will make you safer, and actually being a qualified rider is a bonus.
____________________
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa, hey-hey,
the men in white coats are coming to take me away.
Yamaha Vity -> YBR125 -> FZS600 Fazer -> FZ1-S Fazer
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr



Joined: 01 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:02 - 27 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was once told, if you cant afford to buy cash, you cant afford credit... same price plus interest, is even more than you don't have to start with, isn't it?

Was a rather rich chap who said that, too; and a friend of his built a motorcycle factory on the same philosophy..... you don't get rich by wasting money, do you?

Seemed to make sense to me.. but, on another occasion he also said, if you owe the bank a quid, they own you.. owe the bank a million quid, you own the bank.. and something about Bankers being folk who'll lend you an umbrella when the sun is shining, then demand it back as soon as it starts to rain....

I never did grasp the subtleties and ironies of high-finance, which is probably why I am not rich... and at 19 years, more than one or two decades ago, I sold my soul to satan for a brand new Kawasaki 125...

End of the day, in for a penny, in for a pound, and if you cant afford to buy, you cant afford to buy... but, in my day they did't call it 'Finance' they called it what it is "Hire Purchase".. subtle switch of thinking, you ent buying, you is renting... and if you rent for the full term of contract, after making the last payment, you might get to keep what you have been renting....

And, you get to rent about the best bike you can to 'Learn' on; with lots of confidence it should do what it ought to, and anything that dot feel 'right' is probably something to do with what you are doing, rather than a problem with the bike. Also quite 'nice' having the latest number plate and something no-one has thrashed before you; and quite likely to be one of the few brand-new vehicles you may ever own.. certainly the only brand-new vehicle I have ever owned in thirty years.

BUT it is expensive; interest charges and new-vehicle depreciation, add up to a pretty big % of that bikes show-room sticker price in the three-years till it needs an MOT, and THAT is mostly what you are paying when the monthly Direct Debit is snatched from your account... (I actually had a little book, like a cheque book, if you have ever seen one of them! I had to go into the bank once a month and pay £73.27p, I think it was over the counter, along with one of the paying in slips from it, and get the clerk to stamp the book!)

Chasing the interest and depreciation, on a typical HP deal, it's likely to be 2/3 term, before the bike is worth more than you owe on it; ad if you want to 'cash out' early repayment penalties, can be punitive, and you may have to PAY money to 'sell on'....

Which was something that stung me, when my bike was stolen after six months.. Bike has a sticker price in the show-room of I think £1400; I got a bit of discount on it, but with interest I think I paid £1700 all in over two years. Six months 'in' it was nicked; I'd paid off just about £400; insurance would only offer 'second hand value', £1100, leaving me with the HP-Co demanding £200 there and then..... Nievely I suggested I told them to sod-off, they could go repossess the bike off who-ever nicked it.. but they reckoned that if they did that, they'd still be chasing me oly it'd be for the differece in scrap value, and the HP charges PLUS the repo-mens fees!

Little heads up; little bikes are very easily nicked or crashed; this is NOT a negligible 'risk' to drop you into the negative equity trap.

Your call whether you wish to take it; BUT, read the small print & T&C's very carefully; and be prepared for 'early term' settlement penalties that will like cost you money out of your pocket to end early.

IF you go ahead with it..... deciding factor is like NOT to be any of the minuscule mechaical differences between the two bikes in question; but what may be lurking the small print of them HP forms.... A-N-D.... in for a penny in for a pound.... owe the baker a quid they own you, owe them a hundred quid they cant ow any more of you... IF.. wide awake and with your eyes open, you are taking that risk and accepting those relatively large interest and depreciation costs... Why not rent the bike you would actually LIKE to ride, and get the CBR?

Now back up... and what could you get for the cash in your pocket? And how many Direct Debits on a new bike, would you need to NOT pay to have enough to buy something 100% yours, for cash?

If you are getting by for now, would it really be much hardship to 'get by' for just a little longer and save up?

And then, every DD not taken out your account is however much, could go into a savings account towards your ext ike or even the car you really want.

Your call.. BUT, small differences between YBR & CBF in terms of what they do and what might go wrong with either.... almost irrelevant in the bigger picture....
____________________
My Webby'Tef's-tQ, loads of stuff about my bikes, my Land-Rovers, and the stuff I do with them!
Current Bikes:'Honda VF1000F' ;'CB750F2N' ;'CB125TD ( 6 3 of em!)'; 'Montesa Cota 248'. Learner FAQ's:= 'U want to Ride a Motorbike! Where Do U start?'
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

FlightRisk
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 08 Jul 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:20 - 27 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
I was once told, if you cant afford to buy cash, you cant afford credit... same price plus interest, is even more than you don't have to start with, isn't it?


Teflon-Mike in Common Sense Shocker!

The man has a point. There's shed loads of both bikes around. Why not spend... I don't know... £900-£1200 on a decent low miles used one and if you keep it in good nick probably sell it for close to what you paid for it if you want to move on to a bigger bike or whatever?
____________________
Honda CB500S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mark65
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 May 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:25 - 27 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

CG125 Very Happy
____________________
07 Yamaha YBR125, 07 Honda CG125 , 15 CBR300R (Chocolate Crank, Deaded), 16 CB500FA, 19 Honda Forza 300, 70 Suzuki SV650
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Snod Blatter
Crazy Courier



Joined: 21 Nov 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:28 - 27 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rode a CBF125 for a couple of hundred miles over a week and thought it was a hateful thing, a horribly grabby front brake mated to wheels so small and narrow the bike seems to want to fall over all the time, not helped by the surprisingly top heavy feel. I also found the riding position amazingly uncomfortable, the handlebars managing to be exactly in the wrong place. Sweet, slightly thumping engine though.

I've also tried a Sym copy of a YBR125 and thought it was wonderfully usable and comfy, though the engine was (even) more insipid. The proper Yamaha version might be better. So basically go sit on them and see what you think!
____________________
1994 CB250, 1984 CBX250RS-E, 1989 K100RS, 1995 TRX850, 2016 Z250SL
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Inakutia
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 25 Feb 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 05:24 - 28 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

BodyGuard wrote:
Ikausia wrote:
The 50cc is not strong enough, and its starting to break now. I'm generally a very conscious driver, that doesn't overtake and takes it slow, but I have of course made mistakes.


You've not really got much choice other than to take it slow on a 50cc ped anyhow hee haw.

The thing about finance is unless you have a steady income possibly a willing guaranteer as well because of your age and lack of credit history depending on who the finance is with of course you won't be financing/able to keep up with the monthly payments.

Without sounding too patronising you're only ninteen when you grow up a bit you will be wishing you listened to bike chat forums I tell you this from experince a couple of years ago I was not so wise and spunked my life savings earned in my school years doing two paper rounds on a rusty bmx in all weathers on a brand new Daelim VJ125 and sold it just after a year to someone on here for £100 IIRC.

Listen to bike chat forums I wish I had yes getting a license is a ball ache but it is worth it.


Well I do have a steady income of at least 1000 every four weeks, I do work full time you see. My credit rating was excellent just a month ago, that's what the bank told me when they offered me a credit card, which I have taken out and used th. It to the limit due to buying a scooter so maybe now my credit rating is a big lower. I'm not worried about that, I know I can afford it. Thanks people for your opinions, you lot have scared me and made me think but I will still go for it, get the Yamaha on finance of 60pounds a month, because I'll pay a large deposit, already contacted a dealer and getting it in two weeks. From what all of you said I will think about getting a proper strong chain, two disc locks with alarms and maybe slemthing else whatever you can recommend! Big thank you all!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

wr6133
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:44 - 28 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ikausia wrote:
I'm just too scared of big bikes, I'm a small girl with a tiny body, I love riding but I wouldn't risk killing myself. Even tho I might be a careful rider, everyone makes mistakes and sometimes someone else can make a mistake . I Dont want to use it on motorways, if I do I'll get a car. I don't know, I'm confused now Sad


Don't be scared or let your size knock your confidence. My wife is just short of 5'4", has an inside leg of fuck all and finds a bottle of evian heavy.

She can handle this at 210KG, it's confidence and balance, not strength and height.
https://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh504/wr6133/IMG_20141011_175432_zpsfziqnjem.jpg
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Snod Blatter
Crazy Courier



Joined: 21 Nov 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:18 - 28 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ikausia wrote:
'm just too scared of big bikes, I'm a small girl with a tiny body, I love riding but I wouldn't risk killing myself. (


Missed this until it was quoted above, a CBF125 is a surprisingly tall bike with a wide seat that makes it feel even taller. It was so tall that it put my sister (5'2" ish) off riding it because if she stopped on a cambered bit of road she couldn't put her foot down, and so it fell over a few times. Even I at 5'8" was on tip toes.

YBR Thumbs Up
____________________
1994 CB250, 1984 CBX250RS-E, 1989 K100RS, 1995 TRX850, 2016 Z250SL
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:55 - 28 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does put a different spin on it.

The CBR125 is a small, neat bike, particularly pre 2011. I liked the one that I rode, Paddy's had loads and there are plenty around at all price points. Just don't buy new, is all.

See how you get on with your CBT, it'll give you an idea of what sort of bike you can handle.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:59 - 28 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
Wife pic


you're a brave man.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar



Joined: 16 Aug 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:19 - 28 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 5'4" and an half and I ride this...

https://i.imgur.com/QVxxtKW.jpg
____________________
trevor saxe-coburg-gotha:"Remember this simple rule - scooters are for men who like to feel the breeze on their huge, flapping cunt lips."
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Nov 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:56 - 28 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see why so many people in BCF have an issue with credit. The majority of new vehicles are bought on credit. Someone aged 18 has probably got £500 in the bank, and can afford £80 a month, so why not get a new bike.

With the retarded licencing system now in place, you can't ride anything more than a 125 for a couple of years, and can't afford £3000 a year insurance on a shitty old mini metro, so why not get the best bike you can legally ride. £90 a month is hardly the sort of sum that is going to send you bankrupt.
____________________
Fisty: after polishing the tank with the glistenng beads of sweat from my full hot scrotum, I filled the headrace bearings with 10cc of my manmilk
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Nov 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:57 - 28 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

but as far as 125s go, definitely an msx 125
____________________
Fisty: after polishing the tank with the glistenng beads of sweat from my full hot scrotum, I filled the headrace bearings with 10cc of my manmilk
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

wr6133
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:15 - 28 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alans Snackbar wrote:
I don't see why so many people in BCF have an issue with credit.


Personally I'd rather own something shite than owe on something shiny.

That said if OP has to go the finance route it just seems silly to do so on a little 125 when old enough to do it on an A2 bike which will take a lot longer to get bored of/realise the limits of it's practicality.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 227 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.17 Sec - Server Load: 1.06 - MySQL Queries: 15 - Page Size: 143.74 Kb