Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Rear ended

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

SteveSmith
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 08 Nov 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:23 - 13 Mar 2015    Post subject: Rear ended Reply with quote

Stopped at a roundabout on the way home this evening and rather annoyingly the lady behind me didn't. The bike ended up wedged under her car but thankfully I'm absolutely fine. So far smashed mirrors and lights, broken bodywork and bent bars. Not sure what other damage it caused but the bike isn't worth all that much so possibly a write off. She's admitted liability and I've got a witness who stopped.

I'm currently sitting in a pub with a pint waiting for recovery to arrive. Might as well - I'm not riding anywhere else tonight! Crappy paint pics etc to follow. Poor subframe, twisted obs etc.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Flatbadger
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Apr 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:25 - 13 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd better skip the chaser Wink

Glad you're OK.
____________________
If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
You're in ISIS
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Nov 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:28 - 13 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get wrecked, then you'll match the bike. Wink
____________________
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa, hey-hey,
the men in white coats are coming to take me away.
Yamaha Vity -> YBR125 -> FZS600 Fazer -> FZ1-S Fazer
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Jan 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:44 - 13 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, in the same situation as yourself I just spoke to the driver's insurance and found them very helpful and reasonable. The driver rang them to inform them of the incident and give them my details, I then called them later to discuss.

I informed my insurance that it had happened but made it clear I was happy to deal direct with other insurance as liability had been admitted.

they didn't get round to inspecting my bike so I took it to my usual chap who put together an estimate and they spoke to him (I was shunted forwards, bike landed on pavement on it's side so not squished under car like you describe)

Got any pics of incident / aftermath?

Hopefully, like my claim, it all goes smoothly, some people change their story later and you find you reversed into her at 80mph…

but then, you've got a witness so should be ok
____________________
Looking to pass your CBT / Bike tests in Bury Lancashire? try www.focusridertraining.co.uk Would recommend.
They're also on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Focus-Rider-Training/196832923734251
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:54 - 13 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics of lady. With fish and bacon.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar



Joined: 16 Aug 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:25 - 13 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will be the title of Smiler's first post after bbq this year. I offered him the chance to give me a blowjob at last year's bbq, but he declined.

He's getting it up the wrong'un this year.
____________________
trevor saxe-coburg-gotha:"Remember this simple rule - scooters are for men who like to feel the breeze on their huge, flapping cunt lips."
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:29 - 13 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting rear ended on the bike is something I'm really scared of... it keeps happening all the time... Shocked
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

2Port
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 08 Mar 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:36 - 13 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to make it a habit to look into my mirrors when I'm stopped just in case someone isn't paying attention. Still worried that one day I'll forget or have no escape route.

Glad you're okay, bud.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:36 - 13 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, it's the one thing that really bothers me. I'm paranoid about pulsing brake lights and staying in gear until there are two or three cars stopped behind me.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar



Joined: 16 Aug 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:18 - 13 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
To be honest, it's the one thing that really bothers me. I'm paranoid about pulsing brake lights and staying in gear until there are two or three cars stopped behind me.


iI you were to filter to the front of the traffic, it wouldn't be an issue.

Twisted Evil
____________________
trevor saxe-coburg-gotha:"Remember this simple rule - scooters are for men who like to feel the breeze on their huge, flapping cunt lips."
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:24 - 13 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
if you were to filter to the front of the traffic, being rear ended wouldn't be an issue.


It's not always possible.
And sometimes you are the queue... Exclamation
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Jan 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:49 - 13 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

2Port wrote:
I try to make it a habit to look into my mirrors when I'm stopped just in case someone isn't paying attention. Still worried that one day I'll forget or have no escape route.

Glad you're okay, bud.


I'd just stopped looking in my mirrors and looking up to keep an eye on the light as I was expecting it to change any moment (just round the corner from work, daily route)
Wanted to move off swiftly as people do rush for that light.

Heard a skid, felt and heard a loud thump, bike was no longer under me
worst bit was turning round and finding a car stopped a couple of feet from me - at which point I suddenly realised what had happened.
____________________
Looking to pass your CBT / Bike tests in Bury Lancashire? try www.focusridertraining.co.uk Would recommend.
They're also on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Focus-Rider-Training/196832923734251
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

SteveSmith
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 08 Nov 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:16 - 14 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
To be honest, it's the one thing that really bothers me. I'm paranoid about pulsing brake lights and staying in gear until there are two or three cars stopped behind me.


Yes I was and I saw her coming and thought "that's a bit quick" but as I looked forward to see if I could get out onto the roundabout to get away from her (I couldn't) she was into the back of me.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

SteveSmith
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 08 Nov 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:19 - 14 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Nobby the Bastard"]
Rogerborg wrote:


iI you were to filter to the front of the traffic, it wouldn't be an issue.

Twisted Evil


There was no traffic. I was on a minor road and stopped at the roundabout where it joins a busy dual carriageway. She didn't.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave70
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:33 - 14 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
pulsing brake lights and staying in gear


I always stay in gear anyway but, I've been pulsing brake lights ever since I was rear ended a while back and think it's a top tip that helps dozy Dorothy wake up to the fact that something's happening.
____________________
There ain't no devil, there's just god when he's drunk.

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Biker_Abi
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 12 Mar 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:13 - 14 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never thought of pulsing the brake light, what a good idea. I may have to start doing so. Had a very very minor shunt (didn't come off) on a hire bike once, while my poor other bike was in for repairs a few years ago from an accident.

x
____________________
Current ride: Triumph Street Triple R > Suzuki SV650S > Honda CG 125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ferrisio
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 03 Jul 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:52 - 14 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep thinking of getting one of these and some LED thingy for that reason. Just don't want to go too bling ya get mehh?
____________________
BMW R1100R
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:31 - 14 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave70 wrote:
I've been pulsing brake lights ever since I was rear ended a while back


I've been pulsing the brake lights ever since 'rear ending' started becoming a thing... Shocked

Actually I do it in my car if I'm sat at the back of a queue. Thumbs Up
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

rideslikean00...
Nearly there...



Joined: 26 May 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:42 - 19 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pulsing the brake light... hmmm, rather easy to do with the back brake lightly pressed in I would think. Anything that keeps Doris from trying to use her car to eat your bike has gotta be worth a try.
____________________
.
Previous/Current Bikes
2013 Yamaha YBR-125ED -> 1997 Yamaha YZF-1000R Thunderace -> 2009 Yamaha XJ-6 Diversion -> 2007 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer S2
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Acemastr
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:24 - 19 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brake lights pulse when I first touch then, I tend to release and squeeze every so often anyway
____________________
2017 KTM 350 XC-F - 2014 Yamaha R6 - 2005 Yamaha YZ125
2016 Toyota Tacoma Limited
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:49 - 19 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

In b4 woman gets home, speaks to husband and her story changes to you reversing into the front of her car at speed and the insurance company use the denial of liability as an excuse to drag their feet.

Wouldn't be the first time someone has accused a motorcyclist they rear-ended of reversing into them. A surprisingly large proportion of the population are unaware that most motorcycles don't have reverse, as is evidenced by several Mexican stand-offs I've had on single track roads with passing places.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

notbike
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Apr 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:04 - 19 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happened to my brother a week ago. Bike's a write-off. Sucks.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 May 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:11 - 19 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acemastr wrote:
I tend to release and squeeze every so often anyway


Me too, but never on the bike. Folded arms
____________________
The above post is most likely nonsensical.

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

SteveSmith
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 08 Nov 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:30 - 19 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
In b4 woman gets home, speaks to husband and her story changes to you reversing into the front of her car at speed and the insurance company use the denial of liability as an excuse to drag their feet.

Wouldn't be the first time someone has accused a motorcyclist they rear-ended of reversing into them. A surprisingly large proportion of the population are unaware that most motorcycles don't have reverse, as is evidenced by several Mexican stand-offs I've had on single track roads with passing places.


Her insurance have admitted liability, and I'm currently riding a hire bike at her expense. Mine's almost certainly a write-off, so she'll be making a generous contribution to my new bike fund.

Steve.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Baffler186
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 May 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:43 - 20 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveSmith wrote:
Her insurance have admitted liability
I'm glad you got a good result Thumbs Up
____________________
Current: 2009 SV650 S, 1990 Kawasaki GT550
Previous: 2009 CBF125, 1998 GSF600, 2004 FZ6 Fazer, 1978 CB400a Hondamatic
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 200 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.59 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 129.34 Kb