Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Tried & tested 25kw restriction removal

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Spamalittle
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 15 Nov 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:03 - 10 Mar 2015    Post subject: Tried & tested 25kw restriction removal Reply with quote

Has anyone used the 'Rogerborg method' of getting their 25kw restriction removed from their licence? I.e. not sending them your licence but instead just saying you've lost it (for fear of monumental DVLA cock-ups). If so, did it work and your licence come back unrestricted?

I don't really want to have the restriction removed, as I'd prefer to keep the two year history from date I passed, but I'll be hiring a bike abroad this year and the hire company are insisting that I get the restriction removed (despite having seen correspondence from the DVLA saying it wasn't necessary).

I'm just concerned that I'll line the DVLA's pockets with £20 and they just issue a carbon copy photocard with the restriction still showing...

Cheers
____________________
Story so far: RV125 VanVan > SV650 > Indian Scout > Triumph Thruxton, SV650 (again) & CG125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

deleted111
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:15 - 10 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used this method only last week and my new licence arrived within 48 hours with the restriction removed Thumbs Up

It states "A2" under Entitlement History on the paper counterpart now. Bit miffed I've lost two years off my photocard but not that fussed as it is still documented on the counterpart.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:54 - 10 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/offtopic]Ye gods I wish this worked for upgrading B1 to a full category B Laughing

I currently can't book a theory test as I don't require one seeing as I've had a B1 license for mrffle years, all well and good. However the DVLA website doesn't allow you to book a driving test with no theory pass number and enquiries via the phone receive a "book a test on the website" Rolling Eyes
____________________
I'm immortal. Well, so far.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Spamalittle
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 15 Nov 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:27 - 10 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slam wrote:
I used this method only last week and my new licence arrived within 48 hours with the restriction removed Thumbs Up


Much obliged - will get on to it today Thumbs Up
____________________
Story so far: RV125 VanVan > SV650 > Indian Scout > Triumph Thruxton, SV650 (again) & CG125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:29 - 10 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you get back should match the information shown online:

https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence


Slam wrote:
Bit miffed I've lost two years off my photocard but not that fussed as it is still documented on the counterpart.

The counterpart that's being done away with this year. Sad

Keep that original pass certificate.

Out of interest, when did you pass? March 2010, I lost 2 years. Some more recent passees say that they haven't.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Vracktal
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Oct 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:09 - 10 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I passed in 2010 and lost two years when I upgraded to A. Kept my original license showing the old dates just in case and there were no other issues.
____________________
2007 BMW R1200R: On road
2009 BMW G650X Challenge: On road
1975 Norton Commando 850: Off road, awaiting recommissioning
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Jan 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:01 - 11 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you actually have to send your licence in after the two years?

I thought it automatically upgraded and didn't require updating as it is a full licence with a <25kw note on it = 2 year restriction from date of issue = expired restriction.

Edit:

Just checked the 'Check your licence online' and my restriction isn't listed on my licence, the only restriction is that I need glasses (correct)

I'm going to carry on assuming my licence automatically updated and I don't need to update my card...
____________________
Looking to pass your CBT / Bike tests in Bury Lancashire? try www.focusridertraining.co.uk Would recommend.
They're also on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Focus-Rider-Training/196832923734251
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:16 - 11 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonko The Sane wrote:
Do you actually have to send your licence in after the two years?

No, you do not.

However, not everyone in the police/insurance cartel will know that. They only had 20 years to get used to the 25kW system, after all.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

GaryJM
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 21 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:44 - 11 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it was time to send my licence in I "lost" the photocrd part. Once the new one arrived with the correct entitlement on it , I mysterious found the old one and sent it to them.
I'm sure they realised what really happened as MCN was going on about it at the time.
So yes it does work.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:19 - 11 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaryJM wrote:
I mysterious found the old one and sent it to them.

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

GaryJM
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 21 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:39 - 11 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
GaryJM wrote:
I mysterious found the old one and sent it to them.

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?

Well you're supposed to. I have the current one to lose the next time, also I can't give the old one to the cops if stopped either
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Jan 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:46 - 11 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
GaryJM wrote:
I mysterious found the old one and sent it to them.

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?


There was a fiasco a few years back of entitlements going missing
A mate still has a licence with car and class1 entitlements from sending his bike only licence in for renewal. He lost the bike entitlement but gained two others!

I'm guessing that's why Gary held onto his licence as proof of entitlement then when new licence arrived complete he had no need of the old one.
____________________
Looking to pass your CBT / Bike tests in Bury Lancashire? try www.focusridertraining.co.uk Would recommend.
They're also on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Focus-Rider-Training/196832923734251
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

0l0dom0l0
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:35 - 11 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep worked for me.

However I also lost 2 years of riding off the pass date. So I kept the old one.
____________________
CBT Passed: 30/08/2009, Theory Passed: 31/08/2010, Mod 1 Passed: 6/9/2010, Mod 2 Passed: 13/09/2010. Restriction ended 13/09/2012.

Bikes: 2007 Derbi GPR 50, 1998 Yamaha Fazer 600 (written off), 2002 Yamaha Fazer 600, 1994 CBR 600F, 2003 Triumph Daytona 600, Kawasaki ZX6R J1.....Current: 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 1998 Suzuki TL1000R and a Honda VFR 400 NC30.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

blueglue
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 10 Jun 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:05 - 11 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Wonko The Sane wrote:
Do you actually have to send your licence in after the two years?

No, you do not.

However, not everyone in the police/insurance cartel will know that. They only had 20 years to get used to the 25kW system, after all.


I second that. The only thing i was taught at the Police academy was how to decipher the actual licence number i.e. name/DOB/Sex (bit like a chat room).

Unless a Cop actually knows from experience you will find a lot of them have no idea. I worked with Officers that didn't know what a CBT was or different classes even existed.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Spamalittle
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 15 Nov 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:56 - 16 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Out of interest, when did you pass? March 2010, I lost 2 years. Some more recent passees say that they haven't.


Licence turned up his morning with the expected two years lopped off. Passed in Oct 2012.

C'est la vie. Off to find somewhere bomb proof for my pass certs...
____________________
Story so far: RV125 VanVan > SV650 > Indian Scout > Triumph Thruxton, SV650 (again) & CG125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

drzsta
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:36 - 16 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never bothered "updating" mine as there is nothing to update. Why are people doing it?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Spamalittle
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 15 Nov 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:41 - 16 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

drzsta wrote:
I have never bothered "updating" mine as there is nothing to update. Why are people doing it?


Per op. Didn't want to. Overseas hire company insisting. Meh.
____________________
Story so far: RV125 VanVan > SV650 > Indian Scout > Triumph Thruxton, SV650 (again) & CG125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Fitzy
Nova Slayer



Joined: 20 May 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:16 - 18 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarmacsurfer wrote:
[/offtopic]Ye gods I wish this worked for upgrading B1 to a full category B Laughing

I currently can't book a theory test as I don't require one seeing as I've had a B1 license for mrffle years, all well and good. However the DVLA website doesn't allow you to book a driving test with no theory pass number and enquiries via the phone receive a "book a test on the website" Rolling Eyes


When did you pass your bike test?
____________________
Bike: Honda CBR600 F3
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 201 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.65 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 101.23 Kb