Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


2nd A1 / Mod 1 Fail.. A2 Instead?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

NJD
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Mar 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:34 - 17 Apr 2015    Post subject: 2nd A1 / Mod 1 Fail.. A2 Instead? Reply with quote

Hi all,

So I've been trying to gain the A1 license using my own bike as it (originally) was a much cheaper option than attempting to pay a training school and gaining the A2 license, I've had two attempts know and failed both first time was poor emergency stop and this time was due to not being able to reach the required speed on the hazard avoidance.

No minor faults up until the failed emergency stop on the first attempt, and only one minor fault on the 2nd attempt (having to take two attempts to get up to speed on the emergency stop, only managed 49kph).

The bikes a lexmoto arrow, the slowest out of the lexmoto range I question if I'm asking to much of a bike that has a top speed of 52mph (stock) to get upto 30mph in 2nd gear, I tried the bend in 3rd gear on the controlled stop and, well.. it's better in 2nd (leave it at that).. so..

Is it time to contact a training school and attempt to use a more powerful bike to gain the A2 and get the Module 1 over and done with?

Personally I feel confident as the no minor faults prove, I just feel I'm trying to strap a broken turbo charger to a snail in order to pass.

And finally.. even if I did a 3rd attempt at the Module 1 and pass I do feel that attempting to get the arrow passed 50mph is near impossible without a tail wind or holding onto the back of a faster vehicle (I mention this based on the roads you have to use during the Module 2 and the speed required). Laughing

Thanks in advance for advice Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bubbs
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:37 - 17 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never tried the mod 1 on a 125cc so I'm not sure - but when doing it did you wring the neck out of the throttle to get speed up? If you did then I imagine you're going to need more powah!
____________________
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NJD
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Mar 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:05 - 17 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbs wrote:
but when doing it did you wring the neck out of the throttle to get speed up?


Had 2 attempts at the emergency stop based on not being able to get up to speed, managed 49kph as opposed to 50kph examiner said afterwards "there is some leeway allowed" sadly just not 45kph (what I got on the avoidance).

Bubbs wrote:
If you did then I imagine you're going to need more powah!


As much as I hate to admit it, and as much as it's probably going to dent my bank account to pay for the training I can't help but agree at this point.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

wr6133
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:29 - 17 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
dent my bank account to pay for the training I can't help but agree at this point.


Mate with an A2 bike? You can then DIY it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

NJD
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Mar 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:34 - 17 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
Mate with an A2 bike? You can then DIY it.


I only now two other bikers in person, one's in the same situation as me and the other has a bandit 1200.

Drafting up an email to the local training school to get prices, hopefully explaining that a recent attempt with no faults other than speed will enable them to only quote me as a days training needed.

Rolling Eyes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Nov 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:02 - 17 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learn to ride faster round corners. You will need to enter at a higher speed, and lean over further, rather than accelerating on the exit of the turn.

Look towards the exit of the turn and apply slight forward pressure to the inner handlebar
____________________
Fisty: after polishing the tank with the glistenng beads of sweat from my full hot scrotum, I filled the headrace bearings with 10cc of my manmilk
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

davebike
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Nov 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:07 - 17 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I say the unpopular route on here
Get some Mod 1 training any decent school will soon be able to say if it your riding or the bike that is the problem

Mod 1 is not hard but there are different methods that work on different bikes

NO I not an instructor but know several as friends or though Business
____________________
Dave
NC750Xdct + others at work !
[email protected]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NJD
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Mar 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:10 - 17 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alans Snackbar wrote:
Learn to ride faster round corners. You will need to enter at a higher speed, and lean over further, rather than accelerating on the exit of the turn.


I personally have no issue with counter steering or getting a bit of lean angle, I learnt my lesson from the first attempt at the test on how tight the bend was and the countersteer required when exiting the bend to line up with the straight.

Attempted to hold at least 19/20mph round the bend.. gently applying the throttle while counter-steering approaching the straight and then pinning it when lined up.. my method anyway.

Other owners of the lexmoto bikes that have taken and passed the A1 license have said that it's not exactly the easiest thing to do with some having to do re-takes simply based on the speed issue.

I always said before my first attempt that if I failed on speed I'd move onto a bigger bike for the test, looks like it's time, to me it makes little sense to continue trying to push a 125 to its limits for little reward (in terms of the A1 bikes available) when a 600 would make light work of it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Matt B
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:29 - 17 Apr 2015    Post subject: Re: 2nd A1 / Mod 1 Fail.. A2 Instead? Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
I question if I'm asking to much of a bike that has a top speed of 52mph (stock) to get upto 30mph in 2nd gear


I don't think so. Many, many people passed the Mod1 on worn out GN125s and the like provided by training schools. You just need to wring it's neck a bit more to get it there.
____________________
stinkwheel: He had an animated .gif of a cat performing fellatio. It's not socially acceptable. It can have real life adverse effects on other people.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Nov 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:45 - 17 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:


Attempted to hold at least 19/20mph round the bend.. gently applying the throttle while counter-steering approaching the straight and then pinning it when lined up.. my method anyway.



But your method didn't work.

My method does. That's why I suggested it
____________________
Fisty: after polishing the tank with the glistenng beads of sweat from my full hot scrotum, I filled the headrace bearings with 10cc of my manmilk
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

NJD
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Mar 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:02 - 17 Apr 2015    Post subject: Re: 2nd A1 / Mod 1 Fail.. A2 Instead? Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
I don't think so. Many, many people passed the Mod1 on worn out GN125s and the like provided by training schools. You just need to wring it's neck a bit more to get it there.


It's capable of at least 49kph/30mph as that's what I achieved on the emergency stop but again took some doing.

For me personally I think it makes more sense to attempt the test on a bike with more power and attempt to gain the A2 and have the ability (when choosing) to upgrade to something with more power rather than continue to put funds into attempting to gain the A1 and stick to bikes with low power.

So close but so far Rolling Eyes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Matt B
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:06 - 17 Apr 2015    Post subject: Re: 2nd A1 / Mod 1 Fail.. A2 Instead? Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
For me personally I think it makes more sense to attempt the test on a bike with more power and attempt to gain the A2


Agreed. Worth it for the increased choice, but well done for trying to go it on your own anyway Thumbs Up
____________________
stinkwheel: He had an animated .gif of a cat performing fellatio. It's not socially acceptable. It can have real life adverse effects on other people.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Wednesday Biker
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 11 Sep 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:38 - 17 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took my test on a 125 but that was when it got you a full licence (with 2 year restriction)
I struggled to get my 125 to speed.
First time I tried it in 2nd gear but it wouldn't have it.
Made it just the 2nd run.
Passed first time but it was a slow bugger and the brakes weren't amazing.I couldn't imagine doing the test on a slower bike,which sounds like yours is.
Get the A2 done Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

NJD
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Mar 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:50 - 17 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wednesday Biker wrote:
Get the A2 done Smile


Local school seem to be convinced that a day is all that's needed to get me to pass standard.

Time to raise the funds and get time of work.. Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Wednesday Biker
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 11 Sep 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:06 - 17 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I passed with just a 2 hour "tell me what I'm doing wrong" lesson.But I was very lucky on the mod 1. Some practice runs would have made it less stressful but I scraped through.
A days training should be all you need.
After taking the test twice you should be familiar with it and breeze it 3rd time on a better bike.Mod 2 is much easier than you think its going to be.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

NJD
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Mar 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:39 - 17 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wednesday Biker wrote:
After taking the test twice you should be familiar with it and breeze it 3rd time on a better bike.


Hopefully, awaiting a email from a training school that can do the training and the test at the end of the day for £165.50, although last time (when I hadn't attempted the tests) they told me that a day and a half was required, hopefully my attempt at playing them off against another for business will allow me to do the above.

Failing that there's a training school 10 minutes away from me that do it for £280.

Obviously prefer the first one, even if they do operate from behind a social club in the middle of no where, or inside.. never could tell on google maps Neutral

Wednesday Biker wrote:
Mod 2 is much easier than you think its going to be.


I can imagine so on a bigger 600cc, one of the main reasons it makes sense to get the A2 done as opposed to trying to continue with the A1, even if I did pass trying to achieve NSL might be an issue with a top speed of 52-53mph.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bally-
Nova Slayer



Joined: 11 Mar 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:55 - 17 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:


Drafting up an email to the local training school to get prices, hopefully explaining that a recent attempt with no faults other than speed will enable them to only quote me as a days training needed.

Rolling Eyes


Wouldn't it be easier to phone and speak to a human personoid? No drafting required Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NJD
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Mar 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:06 - 17 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bally- wrote:
Wouldn't it be easier to phone and speak to a human personoid? No drafting required Thumbs Up


When I went for my CBT with the company the only guy who was there was the person training us, their office at that location was just a small room (I assume head office is elsewhere).

Easier to get a response via email from the owner (wherever he resides) than attempt to catch an examiner inbetween tests and training.

The other company is easier to visit in person (the booking office anyway) so can do that when I get chance Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:44 - 17 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
Had 2 attempts at the emergency stop based on not being able to get up to speed, managed 49kph as opposed to 50kph examiner said afterwards "there is some leeway allowed" sadly just not 45kph (what I got on the avoidance).

You need to do 48kph twice. You did 49kph once. You can do it twice.

That said, A1 doesn't get you anywhere, so with your experience of mod 1 now's probably the time to pay up to get A2 or A. You know that you can pass module 1, you just need to do it the easy way on a bigger bike.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

NJD
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Mar 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:52 - 17 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
That said, A1 doesn't get you anywhere, so with your experience of mod 1 now's probably the time to pay up to get A2 or A. You know that you can pass module 1, you just need to do it the easy way on a bigger bike.


Indeed.

Two pokes at the cheaper option has provided me with much experience for a small amount of pennies lost in comparison to training school prices.

A2 For me due to age, if I go for the local (more expensive) training school they use the test site to train you on, valuable experience even more so.

Not pennies I really wanted to be spending but beats having to re-do my theory and CBT and was my original plan when I took my CBT anyway, so onwards and upwards Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:50 - 18 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

You only need 2-3hp to get to 30mph so the bike is well able for it. You need to do more riding and less reading. Don't think about lean angles or counter-steering these are naturally intuitive actions just find some quiet space and keep going over the routine that you're failing your test on until you have it down pat.
____________________
a.k.a 'Geri'

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

NJD
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Mar 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:17 - 18 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
keep going over the routine that you're failing your test on until you have it down pat.


Just getting up to speed although of course as others have said easier done on a bike with more power.

Lets hope the training school has better luck getting me through Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Wednesday Biker
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 11 Sep 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:35 - 18 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously its possible as I passed on a 125 and you achieved the speed on yours once but it is harder than I thought it would be.
If I'd had a day at it with a training school I would have got it down to a T
But two goes at it full of nerves and you do have to give them some stick,its a different matter.
I went round the bend at a speed I thought was pretty fast for the conditions and caned it and just managed it 2nd go.
But forget that:) just do it on a bigger bike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kal-El
Nova Slayer



Joined: 30 Apr 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:09 - 01 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't had training it's very unlikely you'll pass Mod 2 first time. Then it will start getting expensive. at over £70 a pop, you will wish you did A2 first time around, like I did.
____________________
It says I need a signature, so yeah, here's one.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

NJD
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Mar 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:21 - 01 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal-El wrote:
If you haven't had training it's very unlikely you'll pass Mod 2 first time. Then it will start getting expensive. at over £70 a pop, you will wish you did A2 first time around, like I did.


It's not impossible to do as others have been down this route and passed both modules first times but your point is indeed valid, there's one way to ride to please the examiner and get that shiny license and another to survive when out on your own on the roads.

As above £30ish pounds and two attempts latter was enough to give me the experience to make it easier on myself when I eventually get round to Module 1 on the A2.

Although at the same time £260 for one days training and an attempt at Module 1 (local training school quote) is a lot less appealing than £15.50 again.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 164 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.16 Sec - Server Load: 3.74 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 134.07 Kb