|
|
| Author |
Message |
| RedPanda |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 RedPanda Could Be A Chat Bot

Joined: 07 Oct 2014 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 10:28 - 06 May 2015 Post subject: Mod 1 failure and tyre help |
 |
|
I had training on an ER6n Monday and yesterday. It went fine, straight away I was completing mod 1 tasks and I even thought the bike was a bit slow - that was until I learned to take the revs up.
So this morning I went to my CBF, excited and nervous about the day I've waited years for. Trouble was, my bike didn't wheel out the shed easily. Upon inspection I have a huge **** off screw in my rear tyre. In a panic I call around, try to pump it up but moving it only led to loud hissing. On the train to Gillingham then.
It was peeing down. I was wet, really late and very annoyed. I got a taxi to the practice area and got a couple of minutes in - not ideal. I then went pillion with my instructor.
Then at the very damp test centre, all was okay until the emergency stop. On the sighting lap before, I apparently was at 38kph and so had to speed it Up. Like a twat I took the trap at 65kph and so it took top long to stop. In the wet, when the theory says allow twice as long.
So now I'm gonna have to get the train to work when I have a mod 2 booked, and spend my evening either repairing a tyre or buying a new one.
So, a huge screw in a rear tyre. It has 2-3mm of tread after 7400 miles. Just buy a new one, and mention it when finally selling? I've been told that if you use a puncture kit, you shouldn't go faster than 30mph on it? Is that true? Obviously I'm a 65kph sort of guy.
Tl;dr - failed emergency stop after going too fast, what can I do about a screw in a tyre? Today has been utterly awful. ____________________ CBF125 (2013) -> CBR600F (2001) -> 'Ninja' 300 (2014) |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 10:53 - 06 May 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
On a 125, with 7,500 miles on it. I'd probably just buy a new one.
If money is tight, they can be properly repaired at tyre shops with a plug. I would also have no personal problems running a 125 tyre with a tube in it. If it's a "tubeless fitment" tyre, make sure you use a heavy duty tube. Theoretical issues with heat build-up using a tube in a tubeless tyre are meaningless on a 125 in my oppinion. Also many 125 size tyres can be a tubed fitment anyway.
My personal record is three stab-through "temporary" bungs in the rear tyre of my VFR750 which I wore down until the belt was showing, ran at full speed and saw over 150mph on the clocks more than once. Take from that what you will. ____________________ “Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Teflon-Mike |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Teflon-Mike tl;dr

Joined: 01 Jun 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 10:56 - 06 May 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
CBF 125? - Are tyres tubed or tubeless on that?
If tubed, I'd just get a new tube for a tenner, rather than pissing about with cycle patches & job jobbed.
You only need a new tyre if the screw has wrecked the carcas, which you'll preobably only be able to tell once you have the tyre off and can see the webbing the screw has gone through.
If tubleless.. I wouldn't be DIYing it.. I'd be taking it to a tyre place; and I'd ask THEM whether they could 'repair' with a plug or if it needed a new tyre.
Tubless Puncture Repairs come in many forms.
Its the DIY road-side 'emergency' puncture repairs like mushrooms or string, that you can fix a puncture with the tyre still on the wheel, that tend to have cautionary speed limits on the box; the 'permenant' fixes done at a tyre fitters, the tyre off the wheel, and galvanised into place, are 'presumed' to be 'fit for purpose' so good to UK legal speeds... but your unlikely to go faster on a CBF125 anyway, so hardly an issue I would have thought. ____________________ My Webby'Tef's-tQ, loads of stuff about my bikes, my Land-Rovers, and the stuff I do with them!
Current Bikes:'Honda VF1000F' ;'CB750F2N' ;'CB125TD ( 6 3 of em!)'; 'Montesa Cota 248'. Learner FAQ's:= 'U want to Ride a Motorbike! Where Do U start?' |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Teflon-Mike |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Teflon-Mike tl;dr

Joined: 01 Jun 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 11:07 - 06 May 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
As Stink suggests; I'd not be too bothered about putting a tube in a tubeless tyre; but, reason a tube-less would be going in to, in my case, favorite & trusted tyre emporium, Wheel-House, is 'cos I effing HATE wrestling the stiffer tubless carcasses off the rim, and having levers bounce back in my bonce! THEN not being able to get enough air out of a little fag-lighter compressor to pop the thing back on the rim!
If you are planning to get tyre/tube by mail order and DIY at home, these are issues you may like to ponder... at very least, get the best tyre levers you can, the £10 each ones, not the £10 a set of three with rim-tector off e-bay! ____________________ My Webby'Tef's-tQ, loads of stuff about my bikes, my Land-Rovers, and the stuff I do with them!
Current Bikes:'Honda VF1000F' ;'CB750F2N' ;'CB125TD ( 6 3 of em!)'; 'Montesa Cota 248'. Learner FAQ's:= 'U want to Ride a Motorbike! Where Do U start?' |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| RedPanda |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 RedPanda Could Be A Chat Bot

Joined: 07 Oct 2014 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 11:18 - 06 May 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
Thanks, I have tubeless tyres. I don't trust myself to fit one so I'll see who can come to my flat and put a new one in. Money isn't a problem as I have cash saved for a 600 and insurance  ____________________ CBF125 (2013) -> CBR600F (2001) -> 'Ninja' 300 (2014) |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Teflon-Mike |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Teflon-Mike tl;dr

Joined: 01 Jun 2010 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Doovy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Doovy World Chat Champion

Joined: 21 Jul 2008 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| kris84 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 kris84 Borekit Bruiser

Joined: 29 May 2014 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 11 years, 148 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|